PDA

View Full Version : New site for Turntable

colinB
20-02-2011, 14:58
Im re arranging everything today, placing the TV between the speakers with room for a new sub and re positioning my deck. I need to get this right so i know how much cabling i need to order from Mark Grant.
The most obvious and easiest 2 spots are;
1. In the corner beside one of the speakers.

OR

2. At the side of the room, roughly in the middle.

Regarding rules for room acoustics , is either position better than the other?

For the time being im putting the turntable on a tall sound organisation rack.

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 15:20
Only real way is to try both and see which you prefer.

Mr Pig
20-02-2011, 15:52
Is this cable for the turntable you're talking about? I would get enough for the farthest away position then you'll be sorted whatever you decide.

colinB
20-02-2011, 16:27
True. Mark Grant is one of the few cable companies that doesnt charge you an extra £100 for every extra im of cable you order.

I was thinking of more to do with sound waves bouncing around the room. You know boomy bass freqs in the room corner or first reflection points.
I have a similar problem to you in that i get woofer wobble when i play lps.

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 16:37
Stand in both proposed positions with music playing and avoid the one that sounds like it has the deepest bass.

colinB
20-02-2011, 16:50
Cheers :)

Mr Pig
20-02-2011, 16:54
Generally speaking, corners are worse. As with everything though there's often more to it. For instance the floor may bounce less in the corner.

Mark Grant doesn't charge you an extra £100 for every extra m of cable

Just so happens I was looking at speaker cable today. If I decide to move my system to the other end of the room my cables won't be long enough, I'll need about six-meter lengths. Turns out that Naim's NAC5 is £15 a meter! Funny eh? I wasn't thinking about buying it new anyway but really, they're having a laugh.

colinB
20-02-2011, 17:14
Some mains cable companies add £50 for an extra 1m of mains cable:eek:

I bought blue series Van Damm from Mark at a good price.

Yiangos
21-02-2011, 08:41
First-of-all,from the two positions you mention,usually,the best is at the side of the room where sound pressure is lower but if your question is about phono cable,i would keep that as short as possible.I am talking about 1 max 1.2 meters.

colinB
21-02-2011, 19:41
Thats the problem, the side position will require long interconnects.
The only way around that is tv on top of subwoofer next to turntable and both inbetween the speakers.:scratch:

Reid Malenfant
21-02-2011, 19:47
I'd suggest the side wall Colin, it's mid way from the speakers & the other end of the room so in theory it shouldn't be subjected to room modes which will be present near the speaker end & opposite end of the room.

Imo it'd be the wise choice as deep bass shouldn't affect it any where near as much ;) Just try walking from one end of the room to the other & i think you'll find that in the centre things can appear to be very dry & bass light. It certainly seems to be the case at most places i have ever listened to at any rate :eyebrows:

Mr Pig
21-02-2011, 19:47
Get rid of the TV ;0)

colinB
21-02-2011, 20:09
Ha get rid of the TV indeed. I would stick the thing on the wall but its french window behind my gear. The other solution is to stick my AVI sub, when i get it, inbetween the speakers with the turntable beside it and the telly plonked on the sub :rolleyes:

Interesting what you say about room nodes Mark. My room is very long and when i stand up at the far end the bass is huge despite having dinky speakers.
Sounds like a rave up there.

Welder
22-02-2011, 01:37
Another vote for a side wall…………and get rid of the TV ;)

Ian Walker
22-02-2011, 07:39
mmm i know this fly's in the face of whats been said up to now, but there does seem to be a fashion for placing your gear between the speakers.

Ive not tried it myself yet but systems ive heard like this sound pretty good to me.

I think providing you keep everything behind the front face of the cabinets it works fine as in not mucking up the image/sounstage.

Youve also got the added bonus of shorter leads of course...must try this meself.

Ian.

colinB
22-02-2011, 08:28
I used to have two racks between my speakers which were set back to re inforce the bass. Imaging was terrible until i pulled out my tall glass sound organisation rack and left my perspex quadraspire in the middle. Big improvement and i think i will be fine with the flat screen set back against the wall.