PDA

View Full Version : Martin's Long Road to Happiness

MartinT
17-08-2008, 16:41
My system has gone through many permutations over the years but has recently been more stable and is now topped off with my beautiful new speakers. It is now the best system I have heard to date.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/New System Big.jpg
System in its new home showing new main system rack (Solid Tech with sprung isolator feet) and subsidiary system rack for video components (Russ Andrews Torlyte). For scale, that's a 40" Sony Bravia LCD panel on the wall.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/Usher Be-20 Big.jpg
The Ushers in all their 150kg glory.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/New System Rack Big.jpg
Main system rack with Ayre SACD/DVD-A player on Aurios bearings, venerable Strathclyde STD-305M turntable with Michell TecnoArm(A), Pass Labs preamp and its power supply, PS Audio Power Plant Premier and Chord power amp. All main interconnects are Kimber Select KS-1121 balanced and speaker cable is Kimber Select KS-3035.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/Chord SPM-1200E Big.jpg
Chord power amp (on an older support).

The four corners of the room have 16" round TubeTraps from ASC. One thing left to add are three PicturePanels, also from ASC, due to arrive soon.

Marco
17-08-2008, 16:54
Looking great, Martin. I didn't realise the Ushers were that heavy!

I bet they do scale and visceral impact rather well :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
17-08-2008, 17:29
I didn't realise the Ushers were that heavy!
I bet they do scale and visceral impact rather well

The speakers are about 120kg and they are filled with 30kg of lead shot. Pretty much immovable!

As for visceral impact, they can do scary very well.

Beechwoods
17-08-2008, 17:29
The Ushers do look lovely. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in a semi with my listening room in the loft and neighbours that moan at the slightest noise. If I didn't they're exactly what I'd want in my room :)

MartinT
06-01-2009, 05:05
http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/SL1210-1.jpg
The new Sound Hi-Fi Technics SL-1210 in all its glory! Wearing a Denon DL-160 (now run in), and with the Audiophile mat straight on the platter and Bruil aluminium weight, the sound is structural, detailed and very widescreen.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/SL1210-2.jpg
On my Solid Tech system rack next to the Ayre SACD player. The TimeStep PSU is on the second shelf, between the Pass Labs PSU and Gram Amp 2SE. There is a PSU1-24 upgraded power supply powering it, all from the PS Audio Power Plant Premier set to Multiwave output.

chris@panteg
06-01-2009, 10:24
That looks cool martin, you must be well chuffed with it.

Marco
06-01-2009, 12:58
Looking great, Martin!

Have you read the review of the Jelco in this month's HFW?

We should have a little mini bake-off sometime in the Spring and compare the two 1210s - that would be fun :)

Marco.

MartinT
06-01-2009, 17:00
Have you read the review of the Jelco in this month's HFW?

We should have a little mini bake-off sometime in the Spring and compare the two 1210s - that would be fun :)

I can't find a copy of HFW anywhere, most newsagents are useless. Will go find a Smiths tomorrow.

Comparing turntables (and CD players) sounds fun, worth a day trip methinks.

MartinT
05-02-2009, 20:25
I dug out the tripod in order to take some better quality photos, here they are.

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/UsherSystem Big.jpg

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/New System Rack Big.jpg

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/Technics SL-1210 Big.jpg

Marco
05-02-2009, 20:36
Nice one, Martin - looking gooooood... :smoking:

As an aside, on the wall socket to the left of your L/H speaker, have you got the most important component (one nearest the source music signal) plugged into the L/H side of the socket? I mention this because both sides of MK wall sockets 'sound' different due to the Earthing arrangement used :)

Marco.

MartinT
05-02-2009, 20:53
Marco - well spotted that I had replaced the standard switched no-name socket with a switchless MK double. In fact, the key plug is the right-hand one (a Clipsal into Kimber Reference) feeding the PS Audio Power Plant Premier and thence all the hi-fi kit.

The left-hand plug feeds the ancillary video equipment via a Russ Andrews power strip.

Are you saying I should swap them around?

Marco
05-02-2009, 21:00
Definitely! Sad I know, but you've no idea how much I've played around with stuff like this in the past...

The Earth connection on MK sockets is on the L/H side, which should give better signal integrity and a slightly lower impedance rating. You should notice a little more detail and focus with your system by plugging the PS Audio unit into the side where the Earth entry point occurs. Try it and let me know what you think - it could be a free upgrade :)

If you have any more MK sockets supplying your kit then do the same thing with those.

Marco.

John
05-02-2009, 21:49
Really nice system Martin I imagine you get a lot of joy listening to it

Spectral Morn
05-02-2009, 22:01
Hi MartinT

Nice set up. very nice photos too.

Marco

Your comments intrigue me as I use switched( I prefer to have the ability to be able to switch on and off) MK units that I made into strips. And yes the earth post/connection inside is to the left. In your messing around with this did you always feel sources sound better of the left side. Does it follow then that amps are better of the right or should you use them of the left too ? This is interesting stuff. Should you perhaps not use the right at all(bit impractical) ?

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Marco
05-02-2009, 22:37
Hi Neil,

Your comments intrigue me as I use switched( I prefer to have the ability to be able to switch on and off) MK units that I made into strips. And yes the earth post/connection inside is to the left. In your messing around with this did you always feel sources sound better of the left side. Does it follow then that amps are better of the right or should you use them of the left too ? This is interesting stuff. Should you perhaps not use the right at all(bit impractical) ?

Unfortunately it's usually the case that the side without the Earth connection is sonically inferior, so technically if you really want the best performance, it shouldn't be used. That's why the best quality mains blocks/power strips use banks of single un-switched sockets to avoid this very issue... ;)

If you're using wall sockets instead of a mains block then it's best to install a single un-switched socket to power each component, star-wire them together, and feed them from a dedicated electrical spur with 10mm twin & earth cable, or something even more heavy-duty. I use 32mm armoured cable! :eyebrows:

However, the best sockets of all are of course no sockets, with everything hard-wired into a dedicated CU, which is what I do. Quite simply, every interface in hi-fi is a bad interface (whether signal or mains power orientated) so these should be minimised throughout a system as far as is possible, safe, or practical :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2009, 22:59
Hi Marco

The fact that my kit could jump even further in performance by doing this is pretty amazing. Don't get me wrong I know about mains and the dedicated spur but have never got round to doing it. My Nephew is a qualified electrician, and I have asked him about all of this and he will do it. The mains box sits opposite the hi-fi so wiring a spur up would be fairly easy. But I don't fancy using a gango on the wall to set the boxes into, so they will have to be mounted on the wall. I smell a project coming up. I will look into it and try and do as much as I can for the least amount of money, something which is a bit scarce at the minute. I have some military spec mains cable which is very good which I could use. But I use it upstairs ummmm. What percentage of a jump would you expect ?

Marco
05-02-2009, 23:13
It's difficult to quantify, Neil, as results obtained will vary from system to system, such is the nature of the beast.

However, as far as installing a separate spur is concerned, let's say that I've heard less of an improvement in performance obtained from an expensive electronics upgrade! ;)

When you get round to doing your installation give me a shout. There are lots of little tips I can give you with mains set-up to eke out maximum performance from your system :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2009, 23:24
Thanks Marco

Thats very kind of you. :)

I will price some no switch MK boxes, as soon as the snow goes.

Its been awhile since I have done a project like this....ummmm FUN However I can try using the left side by swapping and seeing how that sounds. I do use a Russ Andrews mains gang box all no switches. The old style strip one.

Marco
05-02-2009, 23:34
With those it's important that the source component(s) are plugged into the sockets nearest the mains inlet (flex), and then next the other components in order of importance, phono stages or preamps, etc, and lastly power amps - just work your way through the sonic chain in your system and prioritise the order of plug-in into your power strip in terms of which component is nearest the source signal :)

You may also want to have a look here - scroll down about half way to "Connectors and Plugs" and observe the difference in measured contact resistance between the two wall sockets featured:

http://www.the-missing-link.net/prod03.htm

;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2009, 23:42
Hi Marco

My pre-amp and power amp run off a MK two way box. Internally this has ferrite rings with some wiring wrapped around them. I think I used a ring on the earth cable too. The other wall socket outlet runs the sources ( via the Russ Andrews gang) and yes I have put the most important in order from the cable in.

Maybe Missing Link EPS 100 or MK (Missing Link) version would be what I should go for ?

Ali Tait
06-02-2009, 08:29
If you make up your own mains strips,use a star earthing arrangement.This should insure each socket has the same inpedance value.

jandl100
06-02-2009, 08:57
So, MartinT - did you try swapping sockets? If so - what did you hear? We are all agog - well, I am anyhow. :)

A good friend of mine insists that the left hand socket of a double always sounds best too. I have only single sockets, so I guess I'm OK already!

Lovely looking speakers, btw - I always like the Usher room at Shows, a haven of musicality - but I could never cope with 150Kg! 50Kg is absolutely top whack for any component for me. A strange way to choose hifi, I know, but .... if I can't lift it, I don't want it!

MartinT
06-02-2009, 10:47
It was too late last night to have a proper listen. I shall do so today :)

Marco
06-02-2009, 11:15
Excellent - I'm curious to know what happens :)

Marco.

tubehunter
06-02-2009, 12:01
Hi Marco

I have a single spur connected to the unused cooker circiut 30amp with MK twin sockets attached. This was one of the best upgrades I've done for next to nothing.
This thread has me wondering what three separate spurs would do,one for each component, have you tried it?

Duncan

Marco
06-02-2009, 13:30
Hi Duncan,

A separate spur installed for each component is precisely what Ian has done with his system, and is one of the reasons why it sounds as good as it does, and yes, I've tried it too when I had my Naim gear, although I use a different type of set-up now.

I'm due to go over to Ian's later where we will be comparing his Croft (and also mine) to your passive pre, this time with really good valves fitted. We'll let you know the results :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
06-02-2009, 15:19
Damned if I could hear a difference. I guess that my Power Plant is hiding any benefits that might have ensued had I been using raw mains. I shall have a closer listen tonight when I can concentrate a little more.

Marco
07-02-2009, 07:53
Hi Martin,

If the difference is not obvious straight away I wouldn't worry about it. You could be right about the PS Audio unit masking any benefits simply because it's doing its job so effectively.

Results of these subtle tweaks will always vary from system to system. Scrutinising things too much is never a good idea as it generally leads to confusion, so worry not, mate :)

Marco.