PDA

View Full Version : The most underrated guitarist ever

magiccarpetride
18-02-2011, 21:14
I'm struggling between George Harrison and Mark Knopfler. Both are amazing geniuses on the guitar, both are for some reason being vastly neglected in any discussions revolving around 'guitar gods'.

Why is that? And which of the above two is more underrated?

Or, maybe you think someone else is even more underrated than these two?

Stratmangler
18-02-2011, 21:19
Mike Campbell.

lurcher
18-02-2011, 22:22
Both are amazing geniuses on the guitar, both are for some reason being vastly neglected in any discussions revolving around 'guitar gods'.

I guess it depends on who is having the discussion.

I could argue for hours about this list, but Rolling Stone puts in in the top 30

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231/mark-knopfler-19691231

Stratmangler
18-02-2011, 22:44
A quick scan through that Rolling Stones list, and Mike Campbell doesn't appear to get a mention.
Now that is being severely underrated;)

Jac Hawk
18-02-2011, 23:00
I'm struggling between George Harrison and Mark Knopfler. Both are amazing geniuses on the guitar, both are for some reason being vastly neglected in any discussions revolving around 'guitar gods'.

Why is that? And which of the above two is more underrated?

Or, maybe you think someone else is even more underrated than these two?

Do you know what. before i read the 1st post i thought Mark knopfler, he uses a strange ( if you can call it that ) style of playing, where by he finger picks, a style used in acoustic classical guitaring, but he employs this style to play electric, i could honnestly listen to him play all day long.

The other guitarist would be Joe Satriani, if you have ever seen him play you'll know what i mean.

magiccarpetride
18-02-2011, 23:06
I guess it depends on who is having the discussion.

I could argue for hours about this list, but Rolling Stone puts in in the top 30

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231/mark-knopfler-19691231

My god, what an odd list! Jerry Garcia and Kurt Cobain in the top 20? Oh, the humanity!

magiccarpetride
18-02-2011, 23:11
Do you know what. before i read the 1st post i thought Mark knopfler, he uses a strange ( if you can call it that ) style of playing, where by he finger picks, a style used in acoustic classical guitaring, but he employs this style to play electric, i could honnestly listen to him play all day long.

The other guitarist would be Joe Satriani, if you have ever seen him play you'll know what i mean.

I've listened to Knopfler last night on "In The Gallery" (from the Dire Straits first album), and his guitar playing left me breathless. Who else but Knopfler is capable of squeezing so much music out of six strings attached to a wooden contraption?

I've attended a few Satriani's performances, he left me totally cold. Felt like a circus performance, with Joe being up on a high wire jumping off to a trapeze. I wasn't able to hear any music, just insane amount of gymnastics and acrobatics on the guitar. So yeah, the guy can juggle and do the magic tricks, but who cares? Let me hear him do anything even close to what Knopfler is doing on the guitar. Something with loads of soul.

Jac Hawk
18-02-2011, 23:29
Alex give Joe Satriani's latest abum a listen, it might change your mind

http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/ALBUM%20COVER_10.jpg

WAD62
18-02-2011, 23:57
I've listened to Knopfler last night on "In The Gallery" (from the Dire Straits first album), and his guitar playing left me breathless. Who else but Knopfler is capable of squeezing so much music out of six strings attached to a wooden contraption?

I've attended a few Satriani's performances, he left me totally cold. Felt like a circus performance, with Joe being up on a high wire jumping off to a trapeze. I wasn't able to hear any music, just insane amount of gymnastics and acrobatics on the guitar. So yeah, the guy can juggle and do the magic tricks, but who cares? Let me hear him do anything even close to what Knopfler is doing on the guitar. Something with loads of soul.

Dan Aubacht !

Welder
19-02-2011, 00:23
Who’s Mark Knobbler when he’s at home anyway ? :scratch:
You can’t possibly be talking about that bloke that used to play for Dire Dirges and drivels on about the British working classes can you :eek:

Anyway, my nomination is Zal Cleminson ;)

(we are talking about under- rated guitarists here aren’t we? I mean the two in the OP can hardly qualify as “under-rated” looking at their earnings)

The Grand Wazoo
19-02-2011, 00:26
Mark Knopfler leaves me cold - don't know about under-rated - I always thought he was over-rated.
I just find his style a bit obvious.
I love guitar music - it's always made up the been biggest part of the music I listen to. The thing that impresses me most is lightness of touch and subtlety. Some players can convey more feeling in one note or even an exquisitely placed moment of silence than any of the widdley widdley merchants like Satriani could convey to me in a lifetime.

Jac Hawk
19-02-2011, 00:32
Unfortunately i think it also depends on the type of music you like, rock, blues, jazz, etc. what's one mans heaven is another mans hell

John
19-02-2011, 03:45
Agree with Jac on this I quite like technical players as well as people who can play with emotion its great when people have both sides
So heres a few that are not mentioned enough
People who can play with feel
Rory Gallagher His collection of music is awesome and could really play
Leslie West from Mountain
Billy Gibbons just listen to Blue Jean Blues
Some players who have both
Larry Carlton Yes he highly rated but its rare to see him on a list I seen him play a few times
Carl Verheyen
Jimmy Herring
Peter Wolpl A fusion guy with almost Jeff Beck phrasing
Steffen Schackinger I Just discovered this guy but pretty much has it all
Techinical players
Shawn Lane Seen him live I finally saw a guitar player who had no boundaries
Uli John Roth
John Jorgensen A country cat who loves Django Awesome guitarist
Prasanna How could i nearly forget this guy he plays almost impossible licks swings like hell and is totally unqiue
I not even got into great acoustic guitar players that can play now there is a list

Vinyleyes
19-02-2011, 04:53
There are great guitarists technically ... and not so great technical guitarists who make great music ... Satriani and his ilk leave me cold .. as do those Blues guitarists who do not know when NOT to play a note ,, something the great Gary Moore admitted he had a problem with for years ,,, So that all brings me to the question .. How can anyone not mention Richard Thompson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Thompson_(musician)).... Acoustically and electrically he has been in the world Top 10 for the last 30 years ... his guitar playing is phenomenal in both its technicality and musicality ... He is also a brilliant and prolific songwriter and has been for the last 40 years.
And ,, as you might guess ...... Of course Jerry Garcia has to be in there ...... ;) ....... You guys never heard Dark Star .... not to mention all his great and supremely melodic acoustic stuff ... :cool:

John
19-02-2011, 07:18
Yes Richard and Jerry both really good players
On the acoustic side
Michael Hedges
Tommy Emmanuel
Bireli Lagrene
Gary Potter
Don Ross
Billy Mclauglin
Jeff Scmitt
Andy McKee
Vic Juris Great jazz player

vinylspinner
19-02-2011, 07:52
Rory Gallagher for sure, saw him a couple of times, Robin Trower also and what about Al Dimeola in the jazz field?

Nigel

Beechwoods
19-02-2011, 07:58
Clarence White.

HKhI09XO5R0 Vj_pLTJxiw8

Vinyleyes
19-02-2011, 08:02
Yeh .. I loved Rory Gallagher .. but I think he was appreciated ..certainly amongst his peers .. and his fans .. I will never forget when he came out and did a free 2nd set at Wheeley Rock Festival in the early hours of the morning in the pouring rain ... yes it was the last UK festival with 24h hours non stop music. We had Groundhogs at 4am followed by Barclay James Harvest with a 40 piece Orchestra !! Todays festivals are for pussies .. :ner:
We should probably mention Jerry Donahue as well ... he played with John Jorgenson in the Hellcats .. or one of their projects ..
Dickey Betts as well.. always never got his due ... due to the sheer sliding virtuousity of Duanne .. but he kept the Allmans going for years ... Blue Sky, Jessica, High Falls .... Dickey at his peak played with a melodic fluidity that was quite unique and without peer ............ :cool:

John
19-02-2011, 08:25
Al DiMeola is one of my favourite players but he will get on lists so I did not include him

John
19-02-2011, 08:28
Yes Jerry Donahue and Will Ray played with John in the Hellecasters awesome band live so bloody tight
bjR-CdRf3jA

goraman
19-02-2011, 08:33
Baby Gramps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjiZbuGeBag&feature=related

can someone post this link please.

His version of The Kinks (Sunny Afternoon ) is truly awsome!
http://www.mp3rocket.com/mp3/-1_00/Baby-Gramps-Sunny-Afternoon.htm

John
19-02-2011, 08:47
Forgot to add the late great Danny Gatton and I remember seeing Tommy Tedesco at the Pizza express bloody awesome player

John
19-02-2011, 09:41
GzfqI259KMs

John
19-02-2011, 09:44
KRnDMPbtUSM&feature=related

DanJennings
19-02-2011, 09:59
I'd say Bill Nelson, Steve Hillage or Richard Thompson

Mothman
19-02-2011, 12:24
I know all these lists are very subjective but how can a list of 100 Top Guitarists not feature Rory Gallagher, surely his talents are cited by enough of the other players on that list to at least have him figure somewhere.

Also no Gary Moore, no Joe Bonamassa, no Slash, no Walter Trout, ect ect ect!

John
19-02-2011, 13:30
Here is a whole bunch of guitar players to check on spotify
http://open.spotify.com/user/gamalon/playlist/79iZRIvKhdHWbIHabub7vA

John
19-02-2011, 15:16
One more to add
Leeny Breau
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SvTtaQLC4&feature=related

jantheman
19-02-2011, 15:26
Alvin Lee..no contest......

sparrow
19-02-2011, 16:51
Allan Holdsworth....................genious IMO.

magiccarpetride
19-02-2011, 18:02
(we are talking about under- rated guitarists here aren’t we? I mean the two in the OP can hardly qualify as “under-rated” looking at their earnings)

I said under-rated, not under-paid.

Jac Hawk
19-02-2011, 23:55
has anyone mentioned the late Jeff Healey yet.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 00:20
Ray Russell (The Running Man)

Spectral Morn
20-02-2011, 00:27
http://www.70srockbands.com/photos/lp/ToddRundgren.jpg

Todd Rundgren

Just watching Live at the Royal Oak 1981 Utopia Live. This guy is an amazingly good guitarist imho and yet rarely is mentioned or listed as being such :scratch:

Regards D S D L

jantheman
20-02-2011, 12:58
Jan Akkerman.........

Alex_UK
20-02-2011, 19:52
has anyone mentioned the late Jeff Healey yet.

Must have missed that news - I didn't even know he had died! :eek:

:(

Reid Malenfant
20-02-2011, 19:58
I don't know many guitarists but i was gobsmacked at the playing of a guy called Steve Stevens which i saw on a Billy Idol blu ray, incredible springs to mind :)

Gizz Butt is also pretty good now i think about it :eyebrows:

Pete The Cat
20-02-2011, 20:08
Steve Stevens is top drawer. His playing on Vince Neil's "Look In Her Eyes" is a good example.

Moving away from the usual rock guitarists I'd mention in dispatches Graham Coxon
and Bob Mould.

Pete

sparrow
20-02-2011, 20:21
Snowy White comes to mind.....soulfull bluesy and has palyed on the big stage with the Floyd & Roger Waters also breifly with Thin Lizzy and done his most famous & beautiful song Bird of Paradise.

degsy
21-02-2011, 16:10
[QUOTE=DanJennings;189717]I'd say Bill Nelson,

+1:)

also Peter White, Lawrence Juber (for acoustic)

magiccarpetride
21-02-2011, 18:40
One more to add
Leeny Breau
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SvTtaQLC4&feature=related

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post -- I was more curious to learn about the most under-rated guitarists who are nevertheless famous. I know that there is a boatload of obscure and semi-obscure guitar players who are severely under-rated, but this thread is not about them.

So, again, I guy like George Harrison, who is phenomenally famous, still is, in my opinion, phenomenally under-rated.

Any such interesting birds that you can think of?

Alex_UK
21-02-2011, 20:20

Oh, its interesting birds you want! In that case: ;)

Joanne Shaw Taylor (http://www.pigs-ear.biz/jst/)

Mothman
21-02-2011, 20:38
Joanne Shaw Taylor (http://www.pigs-ear.biz/jst/)

Joanne is excellent, though probably a little early in her career to class her as underated IMO.

Talking of Birds, I can't be bothered to go through all 100 names again to check but I don't remember seeing Bonnie Raitt on the Rolling Stone greatest list, but then again she obviously lacks the feel and technical skill of the likes of Kurt Cobain;)

Alex_UK
21-02-2011, 20:55
Hi Rich - you're right, of course, I was just having a little fun. :)

I don't think she's underrated at all, actually - if you listen to her play you'll agree she is a major talent.

Mothman
21-02-2011, 21:05
Hi Rich - you're right, of course, I was just having a little fun. :)

I don't think she's underrated at all, actually - if you listen to her play you'll agree she is a major talent.

Couldn't agree more Alex, she is truly excellent, I have both albums but prefer 'White Sugar' of the two.

John
22-02-2011, 14:13
I guess I wasn't clear in my original post -- I was more curious to learn about the most under-rated guitarists who are nevertheless famous. I know that there is a boatload of obscure and semi-obscure guitar players who are severely under-rated, but this thread is not about them.

So, again, I guy like George Harrison, who is phenomenally famous, still is, in my opinion, phenomenally under-rated.

Ahh you are fussy and I was having so much fun Lol;)

WAD62
22-02-2011, 14:27

What's obscure to you may well be familiar to others, we don't all spend our time listening to Dire Straits and the Beatles, it is the 21st century after all, and an open forum too... ;)

Filterlab
22-02-2011, 14:43
Ralph McTell, an amazing guitarist - especially on Tickle-on-the-Tum. :D

What was he thinking?

John
22-02-2011, 16:38
Also the title the most underated guitarist ever Not famous guiarist who you consider to be underatted Lol

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 17:26
Also the title the most underated guitarist ever Not famous guiarist who you consider to be underatted Lol

Ahh you are fussy and I was having so much fun Lol;)

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 17:28
What's obscure to you may well be familiar to others, we don't all spend our time listening to Dire Straits and the Beatles, it is the 21st century after all, and an open forum too... ;)

Fair enough. Let me rephrase then: who's the most underrated guitarist while still being a household name? By 'household name' I mean mainstream recognizable. Anyone who's into popular music has heard of George Harrison, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Josh Wunderbar, etc.

Stratmangler
22-02-2011, 17:43
Ronnie Wood. Pretty good as a bass player too with The Jeff Beck Group.

WAD62
22-02-2011, 17:49
Stanley Clarke... ;)

Stratmangler
22-02-2011, 17:52
Stanley Clarke... ;)

Who do you think was Stanley's inspiration ?
(Hint - look at my last post);)

WAD62
22-02-2011, 18:08
Who do you think was Stanley's inspiration ?
(Hint - look at my last post);)

...ah but who played bass for the New Barbarians, and who played rhythm guitar?

I still think Mr Clarke's the better exponent, even if Ronnie was his influence ;)

Anyway lets hear it for the Bassists too, as I'm a really shit one :)

Stratmangler
22-02-2011, 18:12
Ah well, if we're including bassists then we have to include Paul McCartney, but then he also sits firmly in the underrated guitarists camp.:)

WAD62
22-02-2011, 18:16
...the original post stated 'guitarist', no mention of type or string count :eyebrows:

Pedantic...moi? ;)

Stratmangler
22-02-2011, 18:19
...the original post stated 'guitarist', no mention of type or string count :eyebrows:

It also mentioned underrated, and Stanley Clarke does not fall intothat category ;)

WAD62
22-02-2011, 18:21
It also mentioned underrated, and Stanley Clarke does not fall intothat category ;)

...my missus doesn't appreciate him! :lolsign:

John
22-02-2011, 18:21
I love Geddy bass playing but the two bass beasts that I thought wowww
Marcius Miller and Brian Bromberg

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 18:36
Ah well, if we're including bassists then we have to include Paul McCartney, but then he also sits firmly in the underrated guitarists camp.:)

True, however Macca managed to claw his way out of the underrated bass guitarist camp. Today, he's a veritable towering figure in the world of bass guitar. Probably the best bass guitar player ever recorded (in my moronic opinion).

On your other point, one listen to Macca's guitar solo on "Taxman" would suffice to silent anyone who claims that he is overrated as a guitarist. Holly shit, can that guy bash electric guitar or what?

Even after playing guitar for over 30 years, I still cannot for the life of me figure out how did Macca play that brilliant solo! It's almost like he got struck by a bolt of lightning as he was tracking it (same thing goes for his solo on "Good Morning Good Morning" -- absolutely breathtaking stuff).

John
22-02-2011, 18:59
Can you explain to me why you think Macca is a good guitarist as I must be missing something

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 19:11
Can you explain to me why you think Macca is a good guitarist as I must be missing something

The proof is in the pudding. Macca played solo guitar on "Taxman" (one of the best guitar solos ever recorded), and also on "Good Morning Good Morning" (one of the most electrifying solos ever). Plus he played the slide solo on "Drive My Car", and also let's not forget his contribution on "The End", where he is trading twos with John and George.

All in all, these examples showcase him as an outstanding guitar player with unique style that is very hard to emulate. Very few guitarists can claim to have achieved that level of mastery.

John
22-02-2011, 19:17
I have a listen and come back to you
But tell me what is it you like about the solos why does it move you why do you think its good

John
22-02-2011, 19:20
A few more underated guitarist include Ernie Isley Listen to something like Summer Breeze and also Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic

DanJennings
22-02-2011, 19:24
I've always thought that the guitarists from Iron Maiden don't get enough credit, especially since they are so famous, and such a guitar led band, with solos aplenty....
Most people haven't even heard of Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2011, 19:24
The McCartney solo on 'Taxman' sounded a bit Jeff Beck to me - 'Shapes of Things' from a few months before 'Taxman' was recorded..............

Jeff Beck - the solo is at 1'34"

7HPeOQamUKY

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 22:47
I have a listen and come back to you
But tell me what is it you like about the solos why does it move you why do you think its good

Well, to begin with, these solos sound perfect. They are short and sweet, they are not masturbatory or onanistic in any sense. The guitar tone is great, the playing is edgy, and the solos manage to capture, distill and convey the mood of the respective songs, while at the same time adding an edge to them.

From the guitar player perspective (and I've been playing for more than 30 years), I'm impressed because I feel VERY challenged whenever I try to learn those solos.

I grew up trying to learn how to play like Carlos Santana. From there, I moved on to trying to play like John McLaughlin. After I've mastered McLaughlin's style, I thought that I could play pretty much anything. And indeed, when it comes to jazz or other forms of high-octane, masturbatory guitar playing, I can pretty much stand shoulder-to-shoulder with guys like Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth, and other guitar onanists.

However, and much to my surprise, my butt got kicked more than once when I tried to approach rock players such as Macca, Hendrix, even early Clapton (the Beano period). You know that dirty, messy style, impolite and without any manners? The playing with lots of garlic on it?

Macca has it, he was a genius at that game. And, of course, the high priest himself, Hendrix.

Josh Wunderbar, of course, is in an entirely different league, all by himself.

Beechwoods
22-02-2011, 22:49
And indeed, when it comes to jazz or other forms of high-octane, masturbatory guitar playing, I can pretty much stand shoulder-to-shoulder with guys like Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth, and other guitar onanists.

Bloody hell, I'm surprised you have any time for posting here if you can kick it with folks like that. Surely you've got gigs to go to?

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 22:49
The McCartney solo on 'Taxman' sounded a bit Jeff Beck to me - 'Shapes of Things' from a few months before 'Taxman' was recorded..............

I'm pretty sure someone on this forum will soon figure out how Jeff's solo on 'Shapes Of Things' sounds a bit like some black dude's solo from a few years before Yardbird's time. And so it goes...

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 22:50
Bloody hell, I'm surprised you have any time for posting here if you can kick it with folks like that. Surely you've got gigs to go to?

Nah, I'm not into onanism anymore.

Beechwoods
22-02-2011, 22:54
It's a messy business. Certainly not worth messing with it unless you're an expert!

magiccarpetride
22-02-2011, 22:58
It's a messy business. Certainly not worth messing with it unless you're an expert!

AND it's disrespectful to your audience.

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2011, 23:58
Well, well - At last we find the answer to the question!
'Our' little old Alex from Vancouver is the equal of Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & Alan Holdsworth but to add just a soupçon of mortality, he doesn't rate himself when playing sloppy-style.
And all this coming from someone who yesterday described me as arrogant.
You must truly be the most under-rated guitarist of all time, well done!

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2011, 00:24
Buddy Guy
Eddie Hazel
Mick Ronson
Martin Simpson
Stefan Grossman
Tom Verlaine
Sonny Landreth

By my reckoning the person who most fits Magic 'fingers of fire' Alex's criteria would be Neil Young - now that man can play sloppy.

Spectral Morn
23-02-2011, 01:33
The proof is in the pudding. Macca played solo guitar on "Taxman" (one of the best guitar solos ever recorded), and also on "Good Morning Good Morning" (one of the most electrifying solos ever). Plus he played the slide solo on "Drive My Car", and also let's not forget his contribution on "The End", where he is trading twos with John and George.

All in all, these examples showcase him as an outstanding guitar player with unique style that is very hard to emulate. Very few guitarists can claim to have achieved that level of mastery.

On what planet Alex :eek:

He is a very average guitarist imho and the Beatles are highly over rated again imho

There are so many better guitar solos out there his would not even be in the top 100 of mine.

Just read the rest of Alex's BS and I would have to Ban myself if I typed what I really want to type.

Regards D S D L

John
23-02-2011, 05:01
Even Macca will admit he is not a great guitarist
All guitarist has influnces but what really makes a great guitarist imho is how they turn those influnces into something new and create their own style few players truly manage this

lurcher
23-02-2011, 08:33
Taste differs, for me thats a cute little break, not sure I would even describe it as a solo. If we stay with the beatles, for me one of the best all times solo's (back where we start) is the one on Nowhere Man. Wonderfully crafted. For me a solo should be like a conversation, it should be interesting, have structure, direction, and above all say something worth saying.

As a example of a guitarist who probably can be best described as antiquate, but created one of the best solos ever:

n-Wn12g7uT4

sparrow
23-02-2011, 13:15
Alex Lifeson of Rush...has his own style ..

lurcher
23-02-2011, 14:03
I grew up trying to learn how to play like Carlos Santana. From there, I moved on to trying to play like John McLaughlin. After I've mastered McLaughlin's style, I thought that I could play pretty much anything. And indeed, when it comes to jazz or other forms of high-octane, masturbatory guitar playing, I can pretty much stand shoulder-to-shoulder with guys like Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth, and other guitar onanists.

That seems a little extreme, the form of music those players work in (and much of jazz) is built around the idea of extended virtoistic instrumental improvisation. I agree that a 15 minute solo in a 5 minute pop song (Andy Summers I am looking at you) is taking the piss, but criticising musicians for playing in their chosen style and one which clearly finds favour with their audience seems odd.

BTW, I would argue there is far more to proficient jazz players than just their "style", there is also the depth of music theory used to create, rather than just copy.

You could equally accuse Glenn Gould in the same way, no lyrics, long periods of focus on the one instrument and so on.

And it has to be said "After I've mastered McLaughlin's style" suggests a "citation needed" tag.

Welder
23-02-2011, 14:09
:popcorn:

magiccarpetride
23-02-2011, 17:30
Just read the rest of Alex's BS and I would have to Ban myself if I typed what I really want to type.

I'm not sure I understand why are some people so filled with hatred toward others? I mean, this is a forum dedicated to the art of sound and to the joy of experiencing music. We're just talking here, some of us expressing their experiences. Why get so loathsome, what are you trying to achieve?

Alex_UK
23-02-2011, 19:07
Alex - could you let us know which bands you've played guitar in so we can search out the CDs? I would certainly be interested in hearing your playing and making up my own mind if you truly do stand shoulder-to-shoulder with such exulted company! ;)

WAD62
23-02-2011, 19:15
I'm not sure I understand why are some people so filled with hatred toward others? I mean, this is a forum dedicated to the art of sound and to the joy of experiencing music. We're just talking here, some of us expressing their experiences. Why get so loathsome, what are you trying to achieve?

Come on Alex you do tend to court controversy...perhaps wilfully, sometimes enjoyable, but it does go with the territory a bit ;)

AlanS
23-02-2011, 19:38
Alex - could you let us know which bands you've played guitar in so we can search out the CDs? I would certainly be interested in hearing your playing and making up my own mind if you truly do stand shoulder-to-shoulder with such exulted company! ;)

Or gigs at BC Palace?
Have you seen people use IMHO and do you know why they do?
Have you ever told a stranger face to face what an amazing guitarist you are, like what you are telling us.
Do you know the phrase doth protest too much?

shane
23-02-2011, 20:33
Astonishing. 85 posts on great guitarists and not one mention of the man without whom George Harrison said The Beatles would never have happened, and who was THE pioneer brit guitar virtuoso. Maybe a bit MOR at times, but a genius nonetheless.

Hank Marvin.

Stratmangler
23-02-2011, 21:02
Astonishing. 85 posts on great guitarists and not one mention of the man without whom George Harrison said The Beatles would never have happened, and who was THE pioneer brit guitar virtuoso. Maybe a bit MOR at times, but a genius nonetheless.

Hank Marvin.

I thought you were going to mention Carl Perkins then.

keiths
23-02-2011, 21:44
I thought you were going to mention Carl Perkins then. Or Bert Weedon

magiccarpetride
24-02-2011, 22:47

I am not a professional musician. I do this as a hobby, same as I cook as a hobby.

Just because it's a hobby, doesn't automatically mean that I'm clueless at it, does it?

magiccarpetride
24-02-2011, 22:49
Or gigs at BC Palace?
Have you ever told a stranger face to face what an amazing guitarist you are, like what you are telling us.

I never said I am an amazing guitarist. As a matter of fact, I've explained how much I suck -- after 30 years of playing, I can't even figure out how to play the solo on "Taxman"!

Surely, if I claimed that I am a good guitarist, that wouldn't pose any challenge, would it?

magiccarpetride
24-02-2011, 22:54

Hank Marvin.

Hank Marvin is indeed under-rated. I remember trying at one point to figure out how he played the "Deer Hunter" melody while riding the whammy bar on his Strat (I was watching him on youtube do that; looked super-duper easy;). It didn't take long till I realized that I had to abort the mission, tail between my legs, head hung down in utter shame. I couldn't come even close! My guitaristic self esteem took a severe beating at that moment.

The man was a whammy bar genius!

Alex_UK
24-02-2011, 23:04
I am not a professional musician. I do this as a hobby, same as I cook as a hobby.

Just because it's a hobby, doesn't automatically mean that I'm clueless at it, does it?

I never said you were clueless! And I agree - one of my favourite quotes, from who knows where - (I'm paraphrasing) - "The Titanic was built by professionals, the Arc by an amateur" - so I agree - commercial success is not a great barometer of ability.

But still, a statement such as "I can pretty much stand shoulder-to-shoulder with guys like Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth" could perhaps do with some corroboration if it is to stand up to scrutiny and maintain credibility? Could you host/link to any recordings of your playing?

Beechwoods
24-02-2011, 23:04
I never said I am an amazing guitarist. As a matter of fact, I've explained how much I suck -- after 30 years of playing, I can't even figure out how to play the solo on "Taxman"!

Surely, if I claimed that I am a good guitarist, that wouldn't pose any challenge, would it?

Alex, I think it was this bit that confused people, where you said you were up there with Al Di Meola and Holdsworth, having previously 'mastered McLaughlin's style':

I guess that bit must have been tongue firmly in cheek then?!

magiccarpetride
24-02-2011, 23:19
I never said you were clueless! And I agree - one of my favourite quotes, from who knows where - (I'm paraphrasing) - "The Titanic was built by professionals, the Arc by an amateur" - so I agree - commercial success is not a great barometer of ability.

But still, a statement such as "I can pretty much stand shoulder-to-shoulder with guys like Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth" could perhaps do with some corroboration if it is to stand up to scrutiny and maintain credibility? Could you host/link to any recordings of your playing?

Well, I haven't played in that style for many, many years. Here is a very old recording of me masturbating on the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9za4or5I0oU

This is the period when I was still trying to master the onanistic style on the guitar (a la Di Meola, Holdsworth, McLaughlin et al). Once I've fully mastered it, I totally lost interest (sort of the same way as it goes with the sperm bank -- the moment you make a deposit, you immediately lose interest;)

Alex_UK
24-02-2011, 23:26
Thanks for that - I also enjoyed the other 2 videos you've posted "Human Arrogance" & "Human Delusion" - far be it for me to suggest a connection, but the chimp was very good! :lol:

;)

lurcher
24-02-2011, 23:49
Well, with respect just for comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjmihgUWJY

I suggest the difference is that your clip seems to ignore any melody or harmonic structure and just wander around in dorian mode.

Or to stay with the Miles theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-SAuuWqEg&feature=related

AlanS
25-02-2011, 15:07
Alex

Most has been said by others one way or another.

Now why are we talking HATRED from someone stating their opinion (a Mod no less) on a forum. He hasn't suggested banning you or removing your posts which might at a stretch if you were petulant evoke a strong reaction. He simply said much of what you posted was BS.

It wasn't your experience that was the issue AFAIAK, it's the statement you make about yourself being a master of someone elses style of playing. You may wish to think you have mastered something but unless you were winding us up yet again adults don't boast about their own prowess where it is a matter of subjective opinion. Alex tried to politely bring this to your attention resulting in a link to something. The link was to some music that was workman like, not masterful (or should I be less diplomatic).

LOATHSOME - painting the melodrama further. I didn't find it loathsome, quite apt TBH.

You didn't claim to be a good guitarist but a master of something which is more than/higher standard than good.

Please don't try the modesty card here (where are the IMHO's in your posts). If you mastered something, a globally known players style in this case, then you can't reasonably call I suck and have I mastered in the same paragraph, well you try too but most people don't it is sort of contradictory. The exaggerative use of words can be amusing but I have seen far funnier.

Or gigs at BC Palace?

Interesting what you didn't try to respond to.

OK allowing your quibble over amazing, have you said face to face the same words you have used in this thread to strangers, explicitly you have mastered xxx and seen peoples reactions?

Trying to be constructive one thing you seem to be indifferent to is I believe this forum is supposed to be work friendly, not invoke filters/rules due to inappropriate language. Can't you express yourself without resorting to sexual analogies as often as you do? You are an adult aren't you, not some teen getting his kicks from being naughty. I don't want to loose the ability to read this forum at work because you think it is smart to have sexual references all the time, most other forum members manage it.

I found out this week that the Canadian guy I've been working with for some time, on and off, is from Vancouver. I supposed I could quote his reaction to your posts which I showed to him because it isn't me saying it - but summarised it speaks of bovine manure in abundance.

John
25-02-2011, 15:31
Alex thanks for sharing a clip of your playing.
The above clip has little in common with the players you mentioned, it lacks the Harmonic depth and understanding these players have.
It also misses the point that good players have their own style. With DiMeola and Holdsworth I can hear this straight away. Whilst many people copy they have both developed their own style. Something which is actually quite hard to do.
Now can we return to some sort of sanity

magiccarpetride
25-02-2011, 21:14
Thanks for that - I also enjoyed the other 2 videos you've posted "Human Arrogance" & "Human Delusion" - far be it for me to suggest a connection, but the chimp was very good! :lol:

;)

The chimp is cool. She's even nonchalant. Sure makes you stop and think -- how's it possible that a chimp can beat a human in that number sorting game?