PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks for Pioneer PD-S802/PD54

Cairns4me
18-02-2011, 04:29
Hi all.
I am about to lift the bonnet on my PD-S802 stable platter CD player and do a customary "old age" replacement of capacitors.
While I am at it would anyone like to share their suggestions for upgrade mod's on this?
BTW I have tried the optical out to my receiver but prefer the sound I get using the analogue outs.
I have a schematic which shows the player uses two NJM5532 op-amps and so far someone suggested I replace those with "something more musical"..but I wouldn't have a clue as to what to replace them with??????
So any advice from members would be welcome.
Cheers..

Audiocom AV
18-02-2011, 07:20
Hi all.
I am about to lift the bonnet on my PD-S802 stable platter CD player and do a customary "old age" replacement of capacitors.
While I am at it would anyone like to share their suggestions for upgrade mod's on this?
BTW I have tried the optical out to my receiver but prefer the sound I get using the analogue outs.
I have a schematic which shows the player uses two NJM5532 op-amps and so far someone suggested I replace those with "something more musical"..but I wouldn't have a clue as to what to replace them with??????
So any advice from members would be welcome.
Cheers..

Hi Laurie

I have worked on the Pioneer PD-S802 some years ago.

You can replace the NJM5532 (NE5532) with a variety of dual op-amps. I suggest with this player you remove the NJM5532, fit a pair of DIL sockets and try out a few flavours of op-amps. One of the best is the LME49720, the metal can type is better sounding. Also there is OPA2132, AD825 (on adaptor boards).

The quality of decoupling of the op-amps is very important, so I would replace the stock capacitors with the Elna SILMIC, say 100uf or 220uf.

The DAC chips will also benefit from upgraded decoupling capacitors.

Longer term you should look at the voltage regulators and master clock.

Best,
Mark