PDA

View Full Version : Who's up for a "Cheap as Chips" Challenge?

Pages : [1] 2

Alex_UK
16-02-2011, 23:49
So here's the idea - most "normal" people these days spend £100 on an ipod dock, and think they have a hifi... :rolleyes:

But just how good a sound could you get for £100?

You will obviously need a source, some form of amplification and speakers, and all the cabling and any other tweaks you want to apply such as feet, and in the case of a turntable, a cartridge and mat.

No cheating - you can't use anything you currently own, although anything you can blag for free can be included!

If there's enough interest, (and if it doesn't cost a fortune) then I will sponsor a room at Scalford 2012 (bit too late for this year) and let's see what you can put together for under a ton! Best sound wins! (Maybe not much, apart from the kudos!)

DIY or modding is fine, but the cost of any parts needs to be included in your budget.

So - anyone up for the challenge? You've got over a year to be scouring ebay, the free ads, the local dump or relatives attics - could be a lot of fun, and your opportunity to truly demonstrate the "sound per pound value" we love on AoS!

Marco
16-02-2011, 23:59
I like it, Alex! :)

Marco.

P.S Happy Birthday! ;)

The Grand Wazoo
17-02-2011, 00:04
What a brilliant idea!

One small suggestion though - I wouldn't let the solder sniffers get away with too much. You should put a price on their time as well as the parts.

Alex_UK
17-02-2011, 00:14
What a brilliant idea!

One small suggestion though - I wouldn't let the solder sniffers get away with too much. You should put a price on their time as well as the parts.

Now, I did think about that (and this is very much a work in progress, so formal rules will have to be established, if we get enough interest) - but if you're not an "iron warrior" you will have to spend a lot of time researching and checking ebay etc. looking for the ultimate bargain, whereas the heat monkeys can just buy any old piece of Matsui-midi-system-tat, and polish said turd into a sonic masterpiece at the drop of a heat-proof hat... (so they tell us, anyway... ;)) - so the jury's out on that one at the moment I feel.

Jac Hawk
17-02-2011, 21:12
Can i put my upstairs system in for it, all bought on ebay and under £100:)

Reid Malenfant
17-02-2011, 21:13
Wouldn't mind having a crack at this myself, at least it'd be fun :eyebrows:

biggzy
17-02-2011, 21:19
This sounds fun, i wont take part as im poor lol (still trying to get my Teac Ref 300 system together) but will watch this thread closely.

Adam.

Beechwoods
17-02-2011, 21:24
And no stuff borrowed from 'my best mate who just happened to have this £10k turntable sitting in their loft' either!

Sounds like a fab idea Alex. If anyone has any spare stuff they can send it to me for trying out as well :)

Reid Malenfant
17-02-2011, 21:27
And no stuff borrowed from 'my best mate who just happened to have this £10k turntable sitting in their loft' either!

If anyone has any spare stuff they can send it to me for trying out as well :)
:D

You don't work for Chancer Enterprises do you Nick? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

Beechwoods
17-02-2011, 21:28
It doesn't do any harm to be upfront, Mark ;) :whistle:

Spur07
17-02-2011, 21:46
I've just bought some speakers for £30, now if only I can get a source and amp for under £70 :scratch:

Jac Hawk
17-02-2011, 22:31
Well i've got the following :
Castle Kendal II £27 eBay
Pioneer A400 £50 eBay
Pioneer PDS 503 given to me by a mate
Pure A/V RCA Cable 99p eBay
Pure A/V Speaker cable £10 eBay
Atacama SE stands £15 eay

Damn close :doh: this is gonna be harder than it looks:scratch:

Jonboy
17-02-2011, 22:37
An interesting challenge, the gloves are off, what can i source :scratch:

Welder
17-02-2011, 23:38
gorn up me mates loft...........laterz ;)

The Grand Wazoo
17-02-2011, 23:52
I do believe some of you are already considering contravening the rules:

No cheating - you can't use anything you currently own, although anything you can blag for free can be included!

Alex_UK
18-02-2011, 07:19
Thanks for that Chris! Yes, you're right - a new challenge so new acquisitions, please!

Another thought - to make it fair, the cost of postage shouldn't be included - that way it evens out the geographic oddities of someone finding something perfect that they can pick up locally, whereas someone else from another part of the country would have to pay for shipping.

Sounds like a few people will be up for this - let the bargain hunting begin!

Techno Commander
18-02-2011, 09:00
Most interesting. I might have to play as well. :)

The Vinyl Adventure
18-02-2011, 09:17
Cooool!!
Just to clarify ... This is just second hand stuff? Or is diy included?

Barry
18-02-2011, 11:58
I am slightly confused by the 'rules and conditions' being set for this competition.

It would seem, on the face of it, that Mike (BTH K10A) has come up with a winning combination (his post seems to have been deleted :scratch:), provided all the items are still in his possession.

Similarly I could suggest the following system:

Revox G36 (736) reel-to-reel recorder £25
Rotel RA-921 25w/ch integrated amplifier £0 (I was given it)
Bowers and Wilkins DM2a speakers £50 a pair

leaving £25 for cabling.

However this combination is invalid because I no longer have the tape recorder and I have given the amp to a friend; so such a system cannot be demonstrated.

Regards

Techno Commander
18-02-2011, 13:09
Who's wants to sell me some Krells or ARCs for 30 notes?:lol:

Rare Bird
18-02-2011, 15:28
Who's wants to sell me some Krells or ARCs for 30 notes?:lol:

Old money bags.. £20 more like a reasonable offer :lol:

Vinyleyes
18-02-2011, 17:58
What a top idea ... !! Now we have a real reason to scour flea bay every night ... :stalks: ... prices will rocket for 1 pund interconnects :lol: Seriously though ,,, it sounds like certain sources will be cheaper to get than others .. It might be tough to get a vinyl replay sysyem going for &100 that will compete with digital .. ( backlash expected ... :mental: ) .
A couple of ideas for rules though .. ... proof of purchase to be produced for each item ... and I don't think free gifts blagged off yer mate should be allowed ... Some of us here have much more access to these kinds of mates than most of us to be sure ....... :( ... Waddya think .. ?? ...... But I'm up for it ..... :doh:

Ohh ... And who are the judges ,,,,, aghhhhhh ....... :cool:

BTH K10A
18-02-2011, 18:29
I deleted my post as I was naughty and broke the rules :spank:

Andy

John
18-02-2011, 19:08
Well close to it but no cigar
I got a philips CD 630 I picked up for £18 and a Nad 3130 I picked up for £28 have some Belkin interconnects £4 but no speakers and speaker cable within the right price I actually use the Nad and interconnects

vinylspinner
18-02-2011, 20:27
£100 quid!!!

My wife would kill me if I spent that much on hifi:lol:

Nigel

Barry
18-02-2011, 20:31
I deleted my post as I was naughty and broke the rules :spank:

Andy

Sorry Andy -

I called you Mike. That's what happens when you delete a post!

What rules were those? I still don't understand the rules.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
18-02-2011, 20:35
..........just how good a sound could you get for £100?

DIY or modding is fine, but the cost of any parts needs to be included in your budget.

Best sound wins!

Beyond that, there was some discussion over whether modifications should apply a price per hour for their time.

Reid Malenfant
18-02-2011, 20:37
Alex, i think you need to sit down & have a good think about the rules of this competition ;) If i'm not mistaken you said that whatever it is that's used must not already be owned by the person entering it! Sort out what you want properly & get a supermod or admin to edit it into the first post so we know exactly what the rules are :) Then put a post up linking to the first just to remind those that can't be arsed to go back through everything :eyebrows:

It appears some members bought kit overnight :D

I'm watching a pair of speakers on fleabay right now, they'll need some work though :doh: But i'll stick by the "not owning it now rule" & buy everything from henceforward :)

Barry
18-02-2011, 20:40
Ah "the not owning it now" rule.

So, in some ways, I didn't break the rules - as I no longer have two of the components I listed! :lol:

BTH K10A
18-02-2011, 21:05
Ah "the not owning it now" rule.

So, in some ways, I didn't break the rules - as I no longer have two of the components I listed! :lol:

Barry, Same here, I no longer have the Sonab's.

I think we need to define a starting point as "now" is not definitive enough. If I bought an amp and collect yesterday that's OK by the rules, but if today I buy some speakers I will now already own the amp and that's breaking the rules :doh:

I see a paradox unless I buy the complete system in one go.:scratch:

BTH K10A
18-02-2011, 21:17
Is somebody from the forum bidding on this hoping no one could better 99p?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-DC-Servo-Automatic-Turntable-System-and-Amp-/120684770262?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item1c195f73d6#ht_500wt_1156

Spur07
18-02-2011, 21:18
That's not fair - I bought my speakers last night literally as Alex posted his idea :lolsign:

That's it I'm not playing anymore :ner:

Alex, i think you need to sit down & have a good think about the rules of this competition ;) If i'm not mistaken you said that whatever it is that's used must not already be owned by the person entering it! Sort out what you want properly & get a supermod or admin to edit it into the first post so we know exactly what the rules are :) Then put a post up linking to the first just to remind those that can't be arsed to go back through everything :eyebrows:

It appears some members bought kit overnight :D

I'm watching a pair of speakers on fleabay right now, they'll need some work though :doh: But i'll stick by the "not owning it now rule" & buy everything from henceforward :)

Alex_UK
18-02-2011, 21:50
Hi guys - been flat out with work so not had much time, but I do agree if there's enough interest (which it seems there is!) then yes, we will need to define some rules - my first post was just an idea to see what people thought, and if it was worthwhile, so what I suggest is that we carry on using this thread for debating what you think the rules should be, and then perhaps once that is established, I start a new "official" competition thread detailing the rules, dates etc.

I'm also not sure now (as has been discussed) that allowing kit from mates is necessarily a good idea as we could see some collusion (Mark has already said he'll give me his dCS kit! :lol:) However, I think we have to accept that there is going to have to be some "good faith" shown, because it is not always going to be possible to document how you acquired the kit - i.e. car boot sales and local tips are unlikely to give out a receipt - but I would strongly suggest bot may be good sources of kit!

Here's a quick recap of what I propose so far:

The total cost of the whole system including at least one source, amplification and speakers, all cabling, mains and supports any "tweaks" and DIY components and parts must not exceed £100.
Kit can either be purchased components from sources such as ebay, freeads, car boot sales etc., or can be DIY built or standard kit modified - however in all cases, the cost of either the unit itself or any parts must be included in your total budget. Postage shall not be included, as this would penalise those who do not happen to be on the doorstep of a good bargain.
No allowance needs to be made for labour costs if you are DIY building or modifying yourself as it is accepted that if you are purchasing standard items you will equally spend time researching and sourcing your components.
Equipment can only be included that has been acquired after the competition has commenced - for the purposes of this rule we shall say that the competition started on 16th February 2002 at 11:49pm - only items acquired after that date/time can be included in the competition, which it is proposed will end at Scalford 2012.
Judging is yet to be determined - suggestions please? Maybe if there are any of the admin team who are not interested in entering they might take the honour either separately or jointly?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head - what else do we need to cover?

Barry
18-02-2011, 22:10
Is somebody from the forum bidding on this hoping no one could better 99p?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-DC-Servo-Automatic-Turntable-System-and-Amp-/120684770262?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item1c195f73d6#ht_500wt_1156

It went for £11.57! Still might have been a forum member wanting to win first prize in Alex's competition.

Jac Hawk
18-02-2011, 22:50
well i've already found some nice speakers :eyebrows: lets just hope you guys don't find them too, i forsee a lot less posts in the "bargins on ebay" over the comming weeks ;)

Alex_UK
18-02-2011, 22:56
well i've already found some nice speakers :eyebrows: lets just hope you guys don't find them too, i forsee a lot less posts in the "bargins on ebay" over the comming weeks ;)

I think you might be right, Mike! (Unless we get some double-bluffing going on, trying to "big up" some piece of crap so that someone else will think they have found their giant killer! :eyebrows:)

Jac Hawk
18-02-2011, 23:18
found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-collectable1970s-80s-Amstrad-stereo-system-speakers-/150562502750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item230e39785e my mate tells me it's Sony Guts, and the speakers that came with the system are really rebadged Rogers LS3/5a:eyebrows: unfortunately it's a bit far for me :( but i'm sure some other members may be interested for this competition..

Alex_UK
18-02-2011, 23:20
found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-collectable1970s-80s-Amstrad-stereo-system-speakers-/150562502750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item230e39785e my mate tells me it's Sony Guts, and the speakers that came with the system are really rebadged Rogers LS3/5a:eyebrows: unfortunately it's a bit far for me :( but i'm sure some other members may be interested for this competition..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Still reckon it would sound better than most ipod docks of today -the inspiration behind this idea!

Barry
19-02-2011, 01:12
found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-collectable1970s-80s-Amstrad-stereo-system-speakers-/150562502750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item230e39785e my mate tells me it's Sony Guts, and the speakers that came with the system are really rebadged Rogers LS3/5a :eyebrows: unfortunately it's a bit far for me :( but i'm sure some other members may be interested for this competition..

Sadly, not a chance. Those speakers have three drive units, the LS3/5a had two. Also, the speakers shown are larger than the LS3/5a.

Sorry

Jac Hawk
19-02-2011, 01:43
Barry

IT WAS A JOKE :lol::lol: You know humour:doh:

Barry
19-02-2011, 01:49
Barry

IT WAS A JOKE :lol::lol: You know humour:doh:

Sorry -thought your mate knew what he was talking about!

Failed to appreciate the subtle distinction between ;), :eyebrows:, and :lol:.

:doh:

vinylspinner
19-02-2011, 07:46
I still have 2 pairs of B&W DM2 speakers, £20 a pair if interested, would make a great sound in your £100 systems. Also a pair of Musical Fidelity MC2 in black ash £20.00 also

Nigel

Dingdong
19-02-2011, 09:39
Would my £49.99 system won on ebay before the 16th but not collected and paid for yet just make it in the rules?
If not does anyone want a Marantz CD75 II, Denon TU-660L, Arcam Alpha and Linn Index Plus for £51.

WAD62
19-02-2011, 11:23
Alex,

I need a rules clarification Alex ;)

My whole system is file based (FLAC), so can I exclude the cost of my NAS & router, as it's shared across 4 sub systems?

In the same way that one would exclude the cost of CDs or Vinyl, and their storage racks from a conventional system. :eyebrows:

Otherwise my SB receivers are out of the equation.

Come to think of it my PC/tower is over 5 years old, and as it's officially worth nothing as far as the tax man's concerned (4 * 25% depreciation offset against tax)...I won't go negative! And I can play my FLAC from the local HD if necessary! :)

So my PC £0 (Winamp, ASIO, FFSoX upsampler) + £32(M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Soundcard Ebay 2nd hand), £22(Mission 780SEs Ebay 2nd hand), £5(Belkin pure AV RCA interconnect Ebay), Muse M21 EX T-Amp (£35 inc postage Ebay), Maplins speaker cable (I had lying around, honest guvnor), Target stands (RSPCA shop £5, about 10 years ago)

= conveniently £99 (with a bit of reverse engineering ;)), we'll forget the Tacima mains conditioner for now...:eyebrows:

Edit; Just spotted the bit about postage, so I can knock £12 off that for the postage from china for the Muse, and £1.75 for the Belkin

Reid Malenfant
19-02-2011, 13:31
Well you're all lucky i was preparing my dinner, i clean forgot about the damn speakers :doh: A refoam & away (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260736373905&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)...

tommy6206
19-02-2011, 14:14
shame this wasn't a few weeks ago as I picked up a very nice Thorens TD150MKII for £10 and a set of Keff speakers for £5 from local charity shop and after a good clean up and set up sounds wonderful.
Im still looking for a 2nd amp to run this setup in my bedroom.

Techno Commander
19-02-2011, 14:55
These look rather good.
Vox bass bins (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-VOX-BASS-SPEAKERS-/320656722077?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item4aa8a1489d)

Dingdong
26-02-2011, 01:37
I've been out and paid for and collected my £49.99 system. I was a little disappointed with the sound. I did a bit of cable swapping and it doesn't sound half bad. As the cables I swapped in are stuff I've had hanging around, and are against the rules, I now have £50.01 for cables and tweaks.

Alex_UK
26-02-2011, 06:52
Nice one Mark. £49.99 sounds suspicious though - I hope you didn't misread the first post and buy an ipod dock from Tesco? :eek: ;)

Are you going to let us into any of your secrets?

Marco
26-02-2011, 07:56
I don't suppose my 'bargain' Celestions count (either of them)? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Dingdong
26-02-2011, 08:37
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280625212957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is the start point of the system. The speaker cable was one up from bell wire. I found a bit of cheap Cable Talk cable in the cupboard of crap upstairs and it sounds a lot better already.
The plan so far is to replace a few opamps in the amp, and a couple of caps. Buy better speaker cable.
Research what I can do with the cd player. Find and aerial.
Will have a think about what to do with the speakers. Before you suggest I'm not going to burn them or throw them in the bin. They don't sound too bad. Bit cosmetically challenged perhaps.

Dingdong
26-02-2011, 08:42
Marco, I don't think the Celestions will count for you. They could count for me, though. How's about £20? Either pair will do. Could do a trade for a nice pair of Index Plus. Go on. You know you want to.

Jac Hawk
26-02-2011, 13:04

Marco.

Mate you should hang your head in shame after paying that amount of money for them :lol:

Rare Bird
26-02-2011, 14:19
:lolsign:

Dingdong
26-02-2011, 14:36
Is there not a 'How Much!!!!' challenge that can run as well? Were you have to get the least amount of stuff for the most money:)
I'm taking it that stands and supports are to be included in the £100 challenge. Got my eye on some suitable stands for between 99p and a tenner.

Jac Hawk
26-02-2011, 15:23
Is there not a 'How Much!!!!' challenge that can run as well? Were you have to get the least amount of stuff for the most money:)
tenner.

No point when you have the nugget "marco" about, he would win hands down :lol:, as a side note i would be interested to find out how much a pair of Ditton 66's cost new?

Rare Bird
26-02-2011, 16:17
as a side note i would be interested to find out how much a pair of Ditton 66's cost new?

When they came out around about £200, you could get em cheaper tho..so as an approximate around £1,900 in todays money.

Marco
26-02-2011, 22:27
Lol - well I'm absolutely delighted with them. Trust me, a pair of £1900 speakers today would not sound like these do - try doubling that and adding a bit ;)

£1320 paid > £4000+ sonic performance = total bargain in music terms, so get it up yooz! :ner:

Marco.

Alex_UK
26-02-2011, 22:30

Marco.

Yes, but only if you sell them to someone else as part of their £100 system. I'll give you £60 for the 66's!

(That would leave me with a tough challenge of getting source amp and cabling for £40, but I reckon it could be done! (Nice 70's receiver, anyone?)

Barry
26-02-2011, 22:37
Yes, but only if you sell them to someone else as part of their £100 system. I'll give you £60 for the 66's!
(That would leave me with a tough challenge of getting source amp and cabling for £40, but I reckon it could be done! (Nice 70's receiver, anyone?)

Shouldn't that be £66? Or since, as some suspect, Marco is the Prince of Darkness, £666.

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 01:56

Marco.

I was thinking mate:eyebrows: we should have a prize for the best system, maybe you could donate your bargain dittons as maybe a runner up or 3rd place prize, i mean they're not new so we couldn't use em for a 1st prize, and like you said they were BARGAINS:lolsign: so you should be able to replace them quite easily, if you have the cash, you could maybe push the boat out and buy some new speakers for a change:eyebrows:

Rare Bird
27-02-2011, 01:58
Seven pages worth of a brain wave that will never materialise :lolsign:

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 03:36
Seven pages worth of a brain wave that will never materialise :lolsign:

You old scheptic :lolsign:

Marco
27-02-2011, 07:46
I love that word "scheptic" - it's ace! Pronounced 'sheptic'...

I wonder if it was invented by the guy who owns Schweppes? Any scheptics fancy a Schweppes lemonade? Shweet! :lol:

Shoz, I'll shut up now.... :(

Marco.

Beechwoods
27-02-2011, 10:25
John Noakes was a Sheptic.

The Grand Wazoo
27-02-2011, 10:28
Actually I think this is a sheptic..........

http://bensoncheng.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/itchtick_americandogtick_2.jpg

greenhomeelectronics
27-02-2011, 10:45
I think this is a brilliant idea. If nobody has any objections i would like to offer up one or more prizes for this. We pride ourselves in offering systems for every pocket, I love it when some youngster comes in with only a few quid to spend and they go away with something to listen to.
If someone is taking the leading role on this please contact me to discuss what we can do we can offer products or discount vouchers, I might even see my way to giving cash:eek: That's not something that happens very often.

Marco
27-02-2011, 11:20
Hi Dave,

Nice to see you again, mate! :)

Yes, please get involved in this as much as possible. Guys, the 'cheap as chips' second-hand gear Dave sells is, quite simply, as good as it gets.

All his stuff is very carefully selected, fully serviced by him, and even comes with a guarantee! :mental: :eyebrows:

Check out his website http://www.greenhomeelectronics.co.uk/ :cool:

Marco.

P.S Chris, That looks yummy. It reminds me of a Borlotti bean with legs!

Rare Bird
27-02-2011, 13:56
Actually I think this is a sheptic..........

Thats a big Tic, i remember our old cat used to come in covered in em all over his ears & eye lids, gotta be carefull pulling em off with tweezers not to detach the body.

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 14:09
I think this is a brilliant idea. If nobody has any objections i would like to offer up one or more prizes for this. We pride ourselves in offering systems for every pocket, I love it when some youngster comes in with only a few quid to spend and they go away with something to listen to.
If someone is taking the leading role on this please contact me to discuss what we can do we can offer products or discount vouchers, I might even see my way to giving cash:eek: That's not something that happens very often.

That's the spirit!!:)

Dingdong
27-02-2011, 22:02
My spending has just gone up to £54.99. I've now got something to put it all on.
I'm quite surprised my Index Pluses sound. They ain't half bad.

Macca
27-02-2011, 22:06
My spending has just gone up to £54.99. I've now got something to put it all on.
I'm quite surprised my Index Pluses sound. They ain't half bad.

You're way ahead - I had a whole list of amps on my watch list I forgot to bid on:doh:

Most of them went for way too much. £20 is my limit for an amp:lol:

Dingdong
27-02-2011, 22:19
Just need some half decent speaker cable. And a bunch of components. And some blu-tak. And an fm aerial. And some other stuff I haven't even thought of yet.

Macca
27-02-2011, 22:28
Just need some half decent speaker cable. And a bunch of components. And some blu-tak. And an fm aerial. And some other stuff I haven't even thought of yet.

I forgot about speaker cable. And interconnects...bollox then I need an amp for £10:(

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 22:38
I forgot about speaker cable. And interconnects...bollox then I need an amp for £10:(

How come?

speaker cable £10
Inter connectors £6
speakers £20
Stands £20
Amp £20
CD/ TT/ Tuner £20

EASY:ner:

Macca
27-02-2011, 22:41
How come?

speaker cable £10
Inter connectors £6
speakers £20
Stands £20
Amp £20
CD/ TT/ Tuner £20

EASY:ner:

What about a stand for the kit? Or are you just going to plonk it on the deck?

Dingdong
27-02-2011, 22:43
And 4 quid to spare:)

Don't suppose anyone has one of those string fm aerial knocking about do they?

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 22:44
What about a stand for the kit? Or are you just going to plonk it on the deck?

There's £4 left isn't there:eyebrows:
sure you can get something nice from ikea or ebay:lolsign:

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 22:47
to be honnest getting everything including a rack and stands is going to be tough.

Macca
27-02-2011, 22:49
There's £4 left isn't there:eyebrows:
sure you can get something nice from ikea or ebay:lolsign:

Well we've got all year haven't we? Maybe their will be a local riot and I can rob a furniture store during the confusion:lol:

Actually, thinking about it, we need to ask Alex for a ruling on that...:eyebrows:

Dingdong
27-02-2011, 22:50
I have just won this rather splendid looking item. it might not be the best isolation in the world, but it'll do for a fiver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290536892648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Macca
27-02-2011, 22:56
I have just won this rather splendid looking item. it might not be the best isolation in the world, but it'll do for a fiver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290536892648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yeah, that looks the business - massive bargain:cool:

Dingdong
27-02-2011, 23:02
I've now got a year to get some op-amps, caps & speaker cable.

I'm thinking of doing another system made up of broken crap off tinternet. It's not often I get a chance to get the soldering iron out these days.

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 14:57

Marco.

Mate you should hang your head in shame after paying that amount of money for them :lol:
Hey, take a look at this & then have a good think about whether they were a bargain or not (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280632482172&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) :eyebrows: In my world they damn well were compared to those tiddlers :D

Marco
28-02-2011, 15:59
Lol - unfortunately anything with BBC 'LS3/5a' heritage is wanking material for some folks, particularly the Japs! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Barry
28-02-2011, 18:15
Hey, take a look at this & then have a good think about whether they were a bargain or not (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280632482172&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) :eyebrows: In my world they damn well were compared to those tiddlers :D

No pair of LS3/5a speakers is worth £1,500 - even if they were made by Chartwell; thought by some to be the best manufacturer of the BBC design.

It was a very good near-field monitor designed by the BBC for use in their OB units. It understandably has a limited frequency response, but is very good in the mid-range on human speech.

Unfortunately, like a lot of classic designs, a mythology has grown around them and with it, an inflated value.

Regards

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 18:29
Still only Kef drivers at the end of the day Barry, the old B110 & T27 (may be modified). I'd definately go along with your statement that they aren't worth £1500 :eyebrows:

Barry
28-02-2011, 18:41
Still only Kef drivers at the end of the day Barry, the old B110 & T27 (may be modified). I'd definately go along with your statement that they aren't worth £1500 :eyebrows:

It wasn't just only the drivers; the construction of the cabinet and the wood it was made from were all important aspects of the design, along with, of course, the all-important crossover.

The BBC research department's report on the design of the LS3/5a makes interesting reading. I'll try and scan a copy of it into the Library (copyright notwithstanding).

Regards

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 18:46
It wasn't just only the drivers; the construction of the cabinet and the wood it was made from were all important aspects of the design, along with, of course, the all-important crossover.

The BBC research department's report on the design of the LS3/5a makes interesting reading. I'll try and scan a copy of it into the Library (copyright notwithstanding).

Regards
I kind of figured it wouldn't be a standard crossover & yes the enclosures would be important, but £1500 :eek: Some mad people out there, if anyone wants a pair of original silverback B110 get in touch :eyebrows:

That report would be interesting reading :)

Jac Hawk
28-02-2011, 20:53

it just means there are 2 crazy people in the world, and yes the little LS3/5A sounded nice but not that nice, like barry said they have a kind of cult following which keeps the prices high, for me they don't sound like £1500 speakers should sound end of story.

Dingdong
01-03-2011, 11:12
Cult following? Are you sure you spelt that correctly?

Anyhow. I've just got my £5 hifi rack home and it's all looking pretty good now.
Shame it's a bit late to show my system at Scalford at the weekend. £54.98 can get you a reasonable sound.

Rare Bird
01-03-2011, 11:54
Cult following? Are you sure you spelt that correctly?

Alex_UK
01-03-2011, 12:39
Interesting that the subject of the LS3/5a has come up, as I was thinking of starting a thread about them, asking if they are "all that" - prompted by seeing a pair of early Chartwells going for even sillier money (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chartwell-LS3-5A-speakers-/200575025697?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2eb3340221#ht_500wt_1156) - I guess it is the "cult" following, and probably from the Far East that has driven the prices to silly money, especially on the Chartwells. Funny old world! Maybe there should be an extra special prize for anyone who can manage to get LS3/5a's into their Cheap As Chips Challenge system...

Anyway, back on topic... :eyebrows:

I do need to sift through this thread and distil all the rules, and start an "official" thread I think - many thanks to Dave at Green Home Electronics for the generous offer of some prizes - and I am sure we can incorporate a sponsorship into the competition "Cheap As Chips Challenge sponsored by Green Home Electronics" sounds very grown-up and serious, doesn't it!

So - any more thoughts on the rules, please post asap.

spendorman
01-03-2011, 12:51
Interesting that the subject of the LS3/5a has come up, as I was thinking of starting a thread about them, asking if they are "all that" - prompted by seeing a pair of early Chartwells going for even sillier money (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chartwell-LS3-5A-speakers-/200575025697?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2eb3340221#ht_500wt_1156) - I guess it is the "cult" following, and probably from the Far East that has driven the prices to silly money, especially on the Chartwells. Funny old world! Maybe there should be an extra special prize for anyone who can manage to get LS3/5a's into their Cheap As Chips Challenge system...

Anyway, back on topic... :eyebrows:

I do need to sift through this thread and distil all the rules, and start an "official" thread I think - many thanks to Dave at Green Home Electronics for the generous offer of some prizes - and I am sure we can incorporate a sponsorship into the competition "Cheap As Chips Challenge sponsored by Green Home Electronics" sounds very grown-up and serious, doesn't it!

So - any more thoughts on the rules, please post asap.

99p for a perfect pair of Rogers 15 Ohm LS3/5a, not bad, unfortunately not me. I won a pair of tatty Celestion Ditton 15's on ebay for 99p, went to collect them (local) and the seller showed me his Rogers LS3/5a bought for 99p at a car boot sale. He also had a pair of B&W DM4's bought for £20.

He would not take the 99p for the Ditton 15's' but he got value from me as I helped him with some computer stuff.

Dingdong
01-03-2011, 17:41
My system will be making an appearance at Scalford on Sunday. Got a few cosmetic things to deal with in the meantime. And not just for the system.

spendorman
01-03-2011, 17:45
My system will be making an appearance at Scalford on Sunday. Got a few cosmetic things to deal with in the meantime. And not just for the system.

lol, I have the same after tripping over due to uneven pavements, fractured nose, loads of blood from inside it and outside, black eye, bruised mouth, fractured bone in hand, broken rib and twisted ankle, not forgetting straining the recent hernia operation that I had.

Alex_UK
01-03-2011, 20:41

Well done Mark - a year early - that is keen!

Alex_UK
01-03-2011, 20:42
lol, I have the same after tripping over due to uneven pavements, fractured nose, loads of blood from inside it and outside, black eye, bruised mount, fractured bone in hand, broken rib and twisted ankle, not forgetting straining the recent hernia operation that I had.

Ooh, nasty - sorry to hear that Alex - hope you're mended soon.

BTH K10A
01-03-2011, 21:37
What more do you want?

Boxed too :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-STEREO-MISSION-SPEAKERS-/120691965482?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item1c19cd3e2a#ht_500wt_1156

spendorman
01-03-2011, 21:41
Ooh, nasty - sorry to hear that Alex - hope you're mended soon.

Thanks

Dingdong
01-03-2011, 22:19
What more do you want?

Boxed too :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-STEREO-MISSION-SPEAKERS-/120691965482?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item1c19cd3e2a#ht_500wt_1156

Will ask if he has a rack, some cables and is prepared to deliver.

Dingdong
01-03-2011, 22:34
Just found out that I'll be in room 21 on the first floor. I've never been to Scalford before so hopefully it is fun. Hope to see some of you there.

Marco
02-03-2011, 00:49
Oh no..... They've given you *that* room (the one claimed to be haunted) where things always go wrong......:eek:

My advice would be to try and swap it for somewhere else if you can A.S.A.P!!

Marco.

Dingdong
02-03-2011, 06:30
That'll be the one. It's affecting things already. The tuner input on my amp has gone mono. There will be a bit of fixin' to do later. If owt else goes I'll nip to Tesco and get an ipod dock and fuck it.

Beobloke
02-03-2011, 12:02
I'll nip to Tesco and get an ipod dock and fuck it.

Not in the store, hopefully.......

Marco
02-03-2011, 12:06
Is that what you call "bangin' tunes"? :lol:

Marco.

Dingdong
02-03-2011, 19:59
I have just been to Tesco. I think someone must have warned them. The docks were in plastic security boxes.
I did stock up on beer, crisps and more cd's for the show, though.

Dingdong
03-03-2011, 21:42
I have just acquired Leak Delta 70 that needs repair. This is the start of my broken crap of the internet system. So far I am £6.50 plus shipping out of pocket.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 09:09
I picked up a pair of B&W DM2a's off vinylspinner at the show yesterday. They sound pretty bloody good.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 09:43
I picked up a pair of B&W DM2a's off vinylspinner at the show yesterday. They sound pretty bloody good.

So what's new about this! In my view all the early DM's are good!

May be worth checking out the Coles supertweeters, often a casualty.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 09:56
I've had a quick check over them. The drivers all see to be working. Will have a look at the crossovers when I get a moment. The cabinets need a bit of cosmetics. Swapped them for a Creek tuner I got for a tenner.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 10:06
Crossovers will probably be fine, no reversible electrolytics in there, possibly some switch cleaner/ lubricant on the HF1300 level switch. The Coles 4001 G should measure 23 Ohms DC resistance, that's probably worth checking even if they are working. A partly duff Coles looses some of that top end sparkle.

I bought an immaculate pair from an enthusiast, he had not noticed that one Coles was dead. Probably caused by using the speakers with a massive amp. He did like it v loud in a very big room.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 11:15
Thanks for that. I'll get my meter out later.
I've got them sat on some sand filled Target MR-60's at the moment. It puts the tweeters at ear level. Do you reckon that would be okay or would you go lower?
My £6.50 Leak Delta 70 has just arrived. I might post pictures when I get a chance. Sort of before and after.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 11:33
Thanks for that. I'll get my meter out later.
I've got them sat on some sand filled Target MR-60's at the moment. It puts the tweeters at ear level. Do you reckon that would be okay or would you go lower?
My £6.50 Leak Delta 70 has just arrived. I might post pictures when I get a chance. Sort of before and after.

Ear level for tweeters should be fine, think the Delta 70 is basically a Leak Stereo 70, not too bad if set up correctly, I have two Stereo 70' s and a few Stereo 30's. Feeding the signal into the tape input on these amps misses out some of the pre stages and can sound better.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 11:40
I've got to make it work first. It got dropped and stopped working. The back end of the wooden casework is a bit buggered, but I think I can do something with it. I've got a circuit diagram of the net and will have a play with it.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 12:12
Plug in boards may have become dislodged

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 12:57
That's what I'm hoping. It'll be a bit of a Billy Bargain if it is. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do through the B&W's.
All I need now is a source. I fancy a turntable, but getting one in budget with a cartridge that I would dare put anywhere near my vinyl isn't going to be easy. If anyone has a Lenco they want to sell me for £20 let me know.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 13:08
The 70 should work fine into the DM2a and sound good, however the tweeters in the 2a are of such quality that further improvement may be heard with an even better amp. In my view, preferably valve. My Radford STA25 III works nicely with the DM2a's, or any other speakers for that matter.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 17:51
I've had chance to open it up. The fuse to the power light had blown. I took all the boards out and re-seated them. There is evidence of a previous repair and and what might have been an electrolytic giving up.
I hooked up a source and the output at the speaker terminals goes up and down with the volume control. I need to sort out some speaker connectors. £2.05 each from Maplins. That'll be nearly as much as the amp cost.
The biggest bugger is that one of the tone control knobs has broken off in transport.
The DM2a's are sounding rather good on the end of my LK280 at the moment.

spendorman
07-03-2011, 17:57
If Din loudspeaker connectors, I got some plugs off ebay very cheaply.

The control knob may be fixed with super glue, a couple of mine were fixed like this.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 18:31
Thanks. I can save £2 if I get them off ebay. That £2 might come in handy.

vinylspinner
07-03-2011, 18:47
Hi Spendorman,

I used the DM2 speakers with my little KEL84 amp, stunning sounds, these are still great sounding speakers, pleased they have gone to a good home.

Still have 2 pairs left!!!

Nigel

spendorman
07-03-2011, 18:54
I have about 5 pairs DM2 / DM2a, 4 double double stacked per channel.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 20:03
Stacked sounds rather good. I think I'll need a bigger house, though. From what I understand there should be some foam behind the grills in front of the drivers. If so, will some thin(ish) foam from the likes of Wilmslow Audio do the trick?
Can't wait to get my Leak hooked up. I might go splashing the cash at Maplins and get the £2 connectors tomorrow.
Hope the tuner is okay V-spinner, and survived being almost run over.

vinylspinner
07-03-2011, 21:14
Hi Mark,

Good to meet you yesterday, listening to the tuner at the moment, sounds fine.

Glad you are pleased with the speakers, would you like a copy of the manual etc?

Also I must add that your £55 system sounded great and just shows that you don't need to spend a lot to get a nice sound, bedsit students take note!!

Nigel

DSJR
07-03-2011, 21:16
Ear level for tweeters should be fine, think the Delta 30 is basically a Leak Stereo 70, not too bad if set up correctly, I have two Stereo 70' s and a few Stereo 30's. Feeding the signal into the tape input on these amps misses out some of the pre stages and can sound better.

It's very old now (the Stereo 70), but back in the early 80's we had a Stereo 70 as a loan amp. This thing was around ten to twelve years old then and compared well with a NAD 3020, itself a class leader at the time and still a great bargain today if you can find a good one..

Alex_UK
07-03-2011, 21:40
Mark - I feel terrible, I didn't realise Mark on Aos (Dingdong) = Mark on the Wam (bmtell) - even though we spoke when Mark (Reid Malenfant) and I were in your room and I mentioned the Cheap as Chips Challenge! :doh:

Well done on the system, a fantastic result for fifty-five quid! Totally proved that the theory behind the challenge is sound (ahem...) - for less than the price of an ipod dock speaker system you CAN get proper hifi results! :)

Bring on your 2012 system!

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 21:51
My Delta 70 is from 82. I'm looking forward to hearing it with the B&W's.

Nigel I may be interested in one of the other pairs you have. Mostly as a set of spare drivers. Thanks for your comments about my system. I was quite happy with it once a few people were in the room to act as absorption. I got positive comments about it all day, except from a dick that popped in to tell me how much he disliked Linn speakers.

With the Leak and the B&W's I think I can better it. Just need to find the right source.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 21:58
Alex, I joined the forums at different times, and for some dumb reason used different names.
The 2012 system will be pretty special. I'm determined to get a decent vinyl setup.
I'll make sure I get a better room, though. When I first got shown my room it had a massage table and all the oils n stuff in. I was thinking I'd got the wrong show. I might take a selection of soft furnishings as well next year. A small pair of curtains didn't quite do the trick. I thought the system sounded best with all 24 cans of beer on the rack.

Mark

Darren
07-03-2011, 22:10
:lol: how you work that out try '71/'72

Are we confusing Leak and Arcam delta products?

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 22:22
It has a sticker on the boards inside saying '82. Maybe I'm wrong. But I can't say as I give a fuck, or two fucks come to think of it.

Jac Hawk
07-03-2011, 22:28
Up to now i've got a few things bought from ebay that may or may not go into my cheap as chips system, unlike Mark i think i'll stear away from vinyl, first of all to get a half decent TT arm and cart wouldn't leave much for speakers and amp, and second i don't own any vinyl anymore:(.

At the moment i've got a pair of Castle Durhams £15 ebay which have the unusual 15mm cone tweeters on them, i like the sound they make a lot, my only critisism would be that they need to be near a rear wall to get the bass going. A Trio KA-80 amp £26 ebay which i've had a quick listen to and i'm impressed with, and a Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD/DVD-A player £40 ebay that basically knocks the socks off my Pioneer CD player.

Visually the Amp and DVD player are mint, and i've just finished sorting the speaker cabs, now i'm not suggesting this will be the system i go with, but £100 isn't a lot of money, i've spent more than double that recapping my Pioneer A400 so unless i get something really cheap i can't see any way to do a parts upgrade within the budget, so it's down to getting gear which is either A1 or only needing chear repair, my other problem is that up north car boot sales tend to have total crap for sale as far as hifi is concerned, and most of the best deals on ebay are down south and collection only:(.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 22:42
Jac, I got lucky with my system. I got all of the components from One guy off ebay for £50. If he'd advertised them properly they would have gone for way more. Same with the rack I got for a fiver. The speaker cables I had at Scalford were from my cupboard of crap, as they were a million times better than the stuff it came with, and I didn't have time to find a bargain cable.
The bloke I bought the system off also sold me a Creek T40 tuner for a tenner that I then swapped with Vinylspinner for the B&W DM2a's.(hopefully within the rules).
For my existing cheap system I've got £45 for cable and tweaks.
For the new system I'm £16.50 out of pocket after buying the amp and speakers. I'm keeping my out for less than £20 turntables as I'll have to fork out a lot for a cartridge as I wouldn't trust some second hand of the internet one.

Jac Hawk
07-03-2011, 23:02
I'm keeping my out for less than £20 turntables as I'll have to fork out a lot for a cartridge as I wouldn't trust some second hand of the internet one.

Good luck with that, in my opinion a TT is just too expensive, considering the other components you need.

Dingdong
07-03-2011, 23:27
I've got my eye on a couple of DD's up north at the moment. Might be an excuse to go and visit my parents. I reckon I can get a cartridge and a replacement needle just within budget. Only looking at direct drive tt's as getting a new belt would blow the budget.

Dingdong
08-03-2011, 06:28
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pioneer-stereo-/150570020333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item230eac2ded

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/record-player-cd-tape-deck-amplifier-/250782790450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a63d1b332

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-separates-hifi-system-/170611765433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27b940f0b9

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stack-Hi-Fi-System-/190509031691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c5b39210b

Might be worth a look.

Dingdong
08-03-2011, 18:41
Today I have won on that well known auction site 2 Garrard turntables. One for 99p and one for £9.99. Both within 30 minutes drive. Bit of work to be done on them. At the most I am now £26.49 out of pocket for a turntable amp and speakers. I'm crossing my fingers that one of the cartridges is ok and that I can find a new stylus for it and leave myself 50 quid for cables, stands and fettling.

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2011, 19:18
Better get some decent rules drawn up for this soon Alex :)

My system is on the way to coming together :eyebrows: Just sourced my old Audax 5.5" bass mid drivers & a car power amplifier & active crossover i built years ago for a grand total of diddly squat :smoking: I just payed out a massive £13.98 for a brand new pair of Audax tweeters on fleabay, pity the delivery was free or they'd have been cheaper :doh:

So that gives me 4 power amplifiers with built in heatsinks, an active crossover, 4 x 5.5" Audax drivers & tweeters. Looks like i'm going MTM & active...

Just need to find a transformer & capacitors, rectifier etc to power the things from the mains rather than an SMPS from 12V DC which is what i built for the car amp ;) Looks like i just need a source & some MDF, glue, screws etc :D

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 10:26
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280633602540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've just connected up my Leak amp to the system I had at Scalford. It completely kicks the Arcam Alpha's arse when it comes to sound. In cosmetics it lags behind a bit.
Off to pick up my 2 Garrards shortly.

The other day I rather stupidly bid on a Sound Organisation rack before realising where it was:doh:. Looks like I'm off for a day out in Dorset.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280639130083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

spendorman
11-03-2011, 10:34
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280633602540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've just connected up my Leak amp to the system I had at Scalford. It completely kicks the Arcam Alpha's arse when it comes to sound. In cosmetics it lags behind a bit.
Off to pick up my 2 Garrards shortly.

The other day I rather stupidly bid on a Sound Organisation rack before realising where it was:doh:. Looks like I'm off for a day out in Dorset.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280639130083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Was there anything wrong with the Leak?

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 10:47
Was there anything wrong with the Leak?

Fuse blown for the lamp. Two resistor legs touching in the back left corner shorting 70 and 30-odd volts. The volume pot is very slightly noisy on the right chennel when it's turned up a little. I'll try and clean it up later.
Now I've got to shift some stuff around and try it with the DM2a's. I'm expecting it to be very good, but who knows.

Stratmangler
11-03-2011, 10:49
to be honnest getting everything including a rack and stands is going to be tough.

There's got to be some reusable timber or suchlike in a skip nearby.

spendorman
11-03-2011, 10:55
Fuse blown for the lamp. Two resistor legs touching in the back left corner shorting 70 and 30-odd volts. The volume pot is very slightly noisy on the right chennel when it's turned up a little. I'll try and clean it up later.
Now I've got to shift some stuff around and try it with the DM2a's. I'm expecting it to be very good, but who knows.

Seems like an easy fix. Lucky. Should be fine with DM2a.

I got one of these off a skip:

http://www.electron.bg/images/sh_images/DSC06033.JPG

All that was wrong was that the mains voltage selector had been smashed, just soldered and insulated it, all works fine.

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 11:01
They don't seem to have skips round here. Your amp does look rather pleasant. Does it sound as good?
If anyone fancies a Sound Organisation rack in Dorset give me a shout.

spendorman
11-03-2011, 11:06
They don't seem to have skips round here. Your amp does look rather pleasant. Does it sound as good?
If anyone fancies a Sound Organisation rack in Dorset give me a shout.

That Hitachi is pretty good, coincidentally, the free skips every 6 month that the council supplied for residents round here, have just been stopped, council cutbacks.

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 11:55
There's got to be some reusable timber or suchlike in a skip nearby.

I got a brand new Lack table from Ikea in Milton Keynes yesterday. They were selling off the dark brown ones for £1.70ish. I'm thinking of getting a couple more to sit the DM2's on.

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 12:46
Hi Spendorman,

I've just been having a quick check over of the DM2's. Both of the tweeters measure 12 ohms dc resistance. One of the supertweeters is 23 ohms and the other 21 ohms. What do you reckon?

Mark

spendorman
11-03-2011, 12:57
Hi Spendorman,

I've just been having a quick check over of the DM2's. Both of the tweeters measure 12 ohms dc resistance. One of the supertweeters is 23 ohms and the other 21 ohms. What do you reckon?

Mark

Not bad, the 21 Ohms is a little low, but if the output is OK, I would not worry too much.

Notice that the front baffle is incredibly thick?

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 13:03
Not bad, the 21 Ohms is a little low, but if the output is OK, I would not worry too much.

Notice that the front baffle is incredibly thick?

It is a little on the chunky side. I like chunky, though. I've just about managed to hoover up all the bits of old foam now.

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 16:39
I'm just having a quick listen to my latest acquisition. It's a Dynatron Mazurka.
It sort of plays music. I got it because I have this idea of using the Garrard SP25 and it only cost 99p.
As it's warmed up over the last couple of minutes it's decided it can produce a little bass. I wonder what it will sound like with my Linn Saras.

Alex_UK
11-03-2011, 20:11
I have to say Mark, you really are taking this seriously! Hats off to you - but don't forget it's a marathon, not a sprint! :eyebrows: ;)

Jac Hawk
11-03-2011, 20:19
Alex, what's going to be the ruling on "out of a skip" items, as i foresee loads of top quality gear being found in these big bins over the comming months:eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
11-03-2011, 20:23
Also the likes of components for upgrades, which can cost a bomb will suddenly turn up out of a loft or be donated by an old friend etc.:eyebrows:

Sorry to dump it on you but it's your baby Alex, i think a rule book should be drawn up ASAP.

Alex_UK
11-03-2011, 20:26
Also the likes of components for upgrades, which can cost a bomb will suddenly turn up out of a loft or be donated by an old friend etc.:eyebrows:

Sorry to dump it on you but it's your baby Alex, i think a rule book should be drawn up ASAP.

OK, point taken! I don't think I realised it would be so competitive! :eek:

Dingdong
11-03-2011, 20:49
I have to say Mark, you really are taking this seriously! Hats off to you - but don't forget it's a marathon, not a sprint! :eyebrows: ;)

I just enjoy fixing up old stuff. My spare room is looking a bit teaktastic at the moment with my recent acquisitions. I just got home with my other SP25, mounted in a rather lovely Fidelity radiogram sort of thing. Mine for the considerable sum of £9.99.
I shall be declaring lubricants(for the hifi) and other bits and pieces, such as a gallon of teak oil and some sandpaper.
I am currently £17.50ish out of pocket for my amp, speakers and a turntabley sort of thing. I need a lot of the budget for a cartridge.
I shall try to sort some photos out soon of the bits and pieces and what I do with them.

hornucopia
11-03-2011, 22:09
Bought lovely old Heathkit speakers for 99p a few years back.
They are appreciated -I hope!! - every day by customers at my cafe, Royce Rolls Cafe in St Nicholas Market, Bristol, where I left them when I sold it and retired in 07.

forget the model name. Big 3 unit things.

spendorman
11-03-2011, 22:25
Bought lovely old Heathkit speakers for 99p a few years back.
They are appreciated -I hope!! - every day by customers at my cafe, Royce Rolls Cafe in St Nicholas Market, Bristol, where I left them when I sold it and retired in 07.

forget the model name. Big 3 unit things.

Possibly the Heathkit equivalent of the KEF Concerto.

MCRU
12-03-2011, 21:39
wOw
THINGS HAVE MOVED ON, I read this when it was on page 1 and its 16 pages long now. Did any rules get drawn up, for instance can I donate some cables, reasonably priced of course, no point in using £1000 of speaker cables with a £100 system! I have a spare set of those belkin i/c's that frank was so impressed with also, so that is a fiver gone of the budget!

Would it be fairer to say £100 for amp/cd/speakers then cables and stands donated by anyone? Sorry if I am butting in, if not wanted no problemo.

Alex_UK
12-03-2011, 22:12
wOw
THINGS HAVE MOVED ON, I read this when it was on page 1 and its 16 pages long now. Did any rules get drawn up, for instance can I donate some cables, reasonably priced of course, no point in using £1000 of speaker cables with a £100 system! I have a spare set of those belkin i/c's that frank was so impressed with also, so that is a fiver gone of the budget!

Would it be fairer to say £100 for amp/cd/speakers then cables and stands donated by anyone? Sorry if I am butting in, if not wanted no problemo.

Hi David, I need to sit down and finalise the rules, but all suggestions (like yours) still gratefully received.

I'm already worrying about the logistics of people trying to arrive at Scalford with their systems on the day, and trying to squeeze them all into a room, and then how would they be judged? (Maybe each system would get a certain period of time, whoever heard it over that time would give the system a score, and then that is averaged? But then if only 1 person hears a system and thinks it is the bees knees, it wouldn't be very even...)

Oh, I should just mention that I did get as far as rule #1:

This is a FUN challenge, the overriding aim is for everyone to enjoy themselves, and not take it too seriously. In the event of any dispute or discrepency, please refer to Rule #1!

;)

I'll work on it further as soon as I can, but one other possibility is we could potentially organise a separate event for it, and make it a bit of an AoS get together - find a suitable town/village somewhere in the middle of the country near to a good pub! Rule #1 will definitely apply then! :)

MCRU
12-03-2011, 22:31
I must have mis-understood because I thought it was a case of us buying components and assembling them on the day as a system, so for instance we spend the time up to the show scouring for items to put in the system say a cd player that punches well above its weight for good money, them some one else will have found an amp and speakers so instead of 20 people arriving with 20 systems the best items found by the AOS members will be worthy of inclusion in the system up to £100?

Alex_UK
12-03-2011, 22:43
I must have mis-understood because I thought it was a case of us buying components and assembling them on the day as a system, so for instance we spend the time up to the show scouring for items to put in the system say a cd player that punches well above its weight for good money, them some one else will have found an amp and speakers so instead of 20 people arriving with 20 systems the best items found by the AOS members will be worthy of inclusion in the system up to £100?

Maybe you misunderstood, maybe I didn't explain it very well! The idea is that each person spends £100 to build a system of their choice, but I did have it in mind that we would also end up doing some mixing and matching, which would be a really interesting exercise in experimenting with synergy in systems. But that then really leads us again to the issue of 20 people bringing 20 systems to Scalford... Oh I don't know - maybe this was a silly idea! :lol:

Jac Hawk
12-03-2011, 23:48
With regards to the rules i propose the following......

The £100 must be able to be accounted for by either a reciept or screen shot from ebay, so if you have a great amp but no proof of what it cost, then it's out.
Equipment stands would not be considered part of the £100 system, but speakers, amp, cd player, cables and any sound enhancing mods would be.
Only items purchased on or after the start date of this thread will be elligable for inclusion into the system.
A formal entry would be needed, give a closing date for enteries, so that you know with plenty of time if it's possible to do it all on the day at Scalford, and the sort of room or rooms that will be needed.
A panel of independent judges, say 3 people, mods or trade members who have donated a prize, who would listen to each system and award points on things like sound quality, and asthetics.
As far as showing off his or her system, each competitor would be allowed to choose 3 pieces of music that they feel shows the full potential of their system.

Those are just a few ideas, i'm sure everyone has their own take on how it should be run, but it needs to be sorted ASAP...

Alex_UK
12-03-2011, 23:57
Great - thanks Mike.

The only one I'm not sure on is the "Equipment Stands" one - I think it would make sense for a main equipment stand to be in place for everyone to use, but I'm not so sure on speaker stands given that the height and design is so particular to each speaker, and of course, some may opt for flooorstanders on the basis that this then negates the need for stands in the first place.

Anyone else like to suggest any rules, please?

With regards to the rules i propose the following......

The £100 must be able to be accounted for by either a reciept or screen shot from ebay, so if you have a great amp but no proof of what it cost, then it's out.
Equipment stands would not be considered part of the £100 system, but speakers, amp, cd player, cables and any sound enhancing mods would be.
Only items purchased on or after the start date of this thread will be elligable for inclusion into the system.
A formal entry would be needed, give a closing date for enteries, so that you know with plenty of time if it's possible to do it all on the day at Scalford, and the sort of room or rooms that will be needed.
A panel of independent judges, say 3 people, mods or trade members who have donated a prize, who would listen to each system and award points on things like sound quality, and asthetics.
As far as showing off his or her system, each competitor would be allowed to choose 3 pieces of music that they feel shows the full potential of their system.

Those are just a few ideas, i'm sure everyone has their own take on how it should be run, but it needs to be sorted ASAP...

Jac Hawk
13-03-2011, 00:11
Great - thanks Mike.

The only one I'm not sure on is the "Equipment Stands" one - I think it would make sense for a main equipment stand to be in place for everyone to use, but I'm not so sure on speaker stands given that the height and design is so particular to each speaker, and of course, some may opt for flooorstanders on the basis that this then negates the need for stands in the first place.

Anyone else like to suggest any rules, please?

That was what i was thinking mate, a "supplied" rack but speaker stands are down to the individual and not included in the £100, also folks may want a dedicated TT stand or isolation platform.

Dingdong
13-03-2011, 07:58
As the original suggested rules said that stands were to be included I have already invested in a rack and speaker stands. I think they should be included in the £100.

Alex_UK
13-03-2011, 12:22
As the original suggested rules said that stands were to be included I have already invested in a rack and speaker stands. I think they should be included in the £100.

Yeah, I think you're right Mark - probably provide a bog-standard wooden table or whatever is available in the room, and leave people to invest in a rack if they want to gain the benefits (and from their budget of course.)

Jac Hawk
13-03-2011, 13:06
Yeah, I think you're right Mark - probably provide a bog-standard wooden table or whatever is available in the room, and leave people to invest in a rack if they want to gain the benefits (and from their budget of course.)

I was thinking more on space at the venue, think of it this way, 20 entries = 20 seperate racks and 20 sets of stands, where the fcuk are they going to be stored, far better have one stand and a TT isolation table, and 4 or 5 sets of speaker stands that the entrants can choose from, now i realise that mark has spent money, but honestly can you imagine how long its going to take for each competitor to set up his or her system from scratch, much easier and quicker for everyone to use the same rack and have like i said 4 or 5 sets of stands that the competitors can use.

DSJR
13-03-2011, 13:18
Alex(UK), did you get my email about the bits I have? Not sure I want to take part in exhibiting myself on this (I only need some cheapo speakers to make a set or two up myself...), but the offer's there;)

Dingdong
13-03-2011, 13:46
I'm happy to donate my £5 hifi rack for the challenge then if that suits everybody. It's the one I had a Scalford. I found it sounded best with a crate of beer on the bottom shelf:)

Jac Hawk
13-03-2011, 15:58
I'm happy to donate my £5 hifi rack for the challenge then if that suits everybody. It's the one I had a Scalford. I found it sounded best with a crate of beer on the bottom shelf:)

Great, i can bring a couple of sets of stands, one set of spiked Atacama SE stands, they are roughly 24 inches in height so great for small speakers, and a set of spiked Mordaunt Short adjustables.

Rare Bird
13-03-2011, 17:16
Can i ask what this topic is now about :lolsign:

Jac Hawk
13-03-2011, 17:30
Can i ask what this topic is now about :lolsign:

the south american fruit bat i think :scratch:

Rare Bird
13-03-2011, 17:53
ok i just lost the will to live by page 2 :D

Alex_UK
13-03-2011, 20:37
Alex(UK), did you get my email about the bits I have? Not sure I want to take part in exhibiting myself on this (I only need some cheapo speakers to make a set or two up myself...), but the offer's there;)

I did, thanks Dave, not yet got round to replying yet (mental day entertaining family) but I have to be careful - I don't want to be accused of insider trading! :lol:

Rare Bird
13-03-2011, 21:32
I have 17 amps but can't spare one..When you picking the RAMbo's up Alex ? :)

Alex_UK
13-03-2011, 22:03
I have 17 amps

:eek:

When you picking the RAMbo's up Alex ? :)

Not had a response back from the seller, but I'm down there week after next if he can wait until then, if not, I'll make a special trip - rather not though at £1.35 a gallon and a car that does 30mpg! Lucky I removed postage/collection costs from the rules! :lol:

Dingdong
17-03-2011, 22:32
I reckon I've got about £40ish to spend on a cartridge. My ideas so far are for the obvious AT95e. But would something like a second hand Shure M75 with a replacement stylus be a better option? Any other ideas are most welcome.
Arm is mediumish in mass and is made from a lovely bit of Afromosia and ally.

vinylspinner
17-03-2011, 22:49
Hi,

I have a spare Grado prestige black, almost new...£28.00 posted

Nigel

Dingdong
17-03-2011, 22:59
Hi Nigel,

Consider it sold. No need to post. I need to arrange to pop over and pick up your other Dm2's sometime. The pair I have have been given a scrub with a brillo pad and a few goings over with teak oil and they have come up quite well.
They sound pretty bloody good as well.

Thanks

Mark

vinylspinner
17-03-2011, 23:05
Hi Mark,

I will contact you and arrange something.

Nigel

Dingdong
19-03-2011, 00:23
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150575264245&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just cleaned the nasty old grease off it and fiddled with the auto mechanism and it seems to work.
I've hooked up an old M95ED and it is producing some rather decent sound.

spendorman
19-03-2011, 08:33
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150575264245&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just cleaned the nasty old grease off it and fiddled with the auto mechanism and it seems to work.
I've hooked up an old M95ED and it is producing some rather decent sound.

Brilliant purchase

DSJR
19-03-2011, 08:51
Mine was rather more expensive, but hopefully will work out ok once I finally unpack it.

Is the Lab 80 good for 1.5g then? I've been pondering which cartridge to fit, and settled on the M55E as a possibility.

For anyone else wanting a cheap-as-chips vinyl spinner from the likes of Garrard, there are loads of SP25's on fleabay of various ages and conditions. Not the quietest running by any means, but with a Pickering V15-EV, Stanton 500V3, Ortofon OM Pro or Shure M44, they're safe enough, if not really modern-standard HiFi in all honesty. The AP76 comes up quite often and once the Garrard-Glue is removed and the auto trip is spotless, it's actually quite good with modern AT's, the Shure M97XE and I suspect most other "magnetics" tracking at 1.5 - 1.75g or so. A tragedy that Garrard's tolerances were so sloppy by this time.

Dingdong
19-03-2011, 09:31
There is a small weight in the headshell of mine. Couldn't tell you how heavy as I'd have to take it apart again. It seems to be made for the headshell and is attached by the cartridge screws. I set the force with my Shure balance thingummy and it works well. I tried to balance it up without the weight, but I couldn't bring the weight far enough forward.
I still get the tiniest bit of rumble that can be heard on the start and end of records. So far, and I only picked it up yesterday afternoon I'm preferring it to my TD160/3009II/VST-V.

I've got a couple of SP25's. One for 99p. The platter seems a bit lightweight to me. But I don't really know much.

Dingdong
19-03-2011, 09:35
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200586963539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I very nearly took a gamble on this yesterday. I got outbid near the end.
Could have been a huge bargain, or a beaten up old SP25. I'll never know.

DSJR
19-03-2011, 15:16
The SP25 mk1 and 2 used a solid cast 10.5" approx top platter on top of the pressed driving platter from the Autoslim donor. The result was an increased flywheel effect, slightly less rumble and a posher, more "laboratory" look ;) The lab 80 has a full sized solid casting I think, which is obviously better. Most of the "autoslim" Garrards went over to a 10.5" steel platter riveted to the inner by the late 60's.

The SP25mk3 onwards had an aluminium top-platter on top of the driving platter, but there may have been refinements in the motor to suit. Certainly, the performance was at least as good as the earlier ones and the arm linkages underneath had been improved.

I lost touch with these after the 125SB, a belt driven version with flimsy arm (which had lower friction than ever) and felt the GT55P to show everything good and bad about the brand by the mid 70's - gritty controls but good potential in the basic design still not fully realised. It was around this time I discovered the utter joys of the Dual 1229, which out-performed all the Garrards by a substantial margin. This led on to finding the lovely late 60's Dual 1019, which is still a lovely item to own and use.

Reid Malenfant
20-03-2011, 22:10
Just got a good one :eyebrows: Pre & power amp in one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120697584217&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT), i can sort this :)

Alex_UK
20-03-2011, 23:05
wow - gives you a lot of budget for source, speakers and cables, Mark! :eek:

Reid Malenfant
21-03-2011, 11:38
My system is on the way to coming together :eyebrows: Just sourced my old Audax 5.5" bass mid drivers & a car power amplifier & active crossover i built years ago for a grand total of diddly squat :smoking: I just payed out a massive £13.98 for a brand new pair of Audax tweeters on fleabay, pity the delivery was free or they'd have been cheaper :doh:

So that gives me 4 power amplifiers with built in heatsinks, an active crossover, 4 x 5.5" Audax drivers & tweeters. Looks like i'm going MTM & active...

Just need to find a transformer & capacitors, rectifier etc to power the things from the mains rather than an SMPS from 12V DC which is what i built for the car amp ;) Looks like i just need a source & some MDF, glue, screws etc :D

wow - gives you a lot of budget for source, speakers and cables, Mark! :eek:
As you can see Alex i'm going to be building speakers :rolleyes: Not again :doh:

If i can find a decent set of reasonably sized bass drivers i can use the power amp in that receiver to power them. I can stuff the active crossover in the receiver & use a couple of the input sockets as pre outs for mid & treble ;) Here are the £13.98 tweeters btw (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320666628033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) :lol: They still haven't arrived yet but i have no doubt they will...

So far it looks like i have spent £15.18, but i still have to sort PSUs for the HY60 power amps & factor in the costs of MDF, glue, screws etc :scratch:

Ah well, plenty of time yet :eyebrows:

Dingdong
21-03-2011, 18:52
Just got a good one :eyebrows: Pre & power amp in one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120697584217&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT), i can sort this :)

Wow. That's £5.30 cheaper than my amp. I mustn't have tried hard enough. Good luck with the repair. I managed to fix mine for nowt.
My Garrard is coming along nicely. It's lost its auto mechanism now and I've spent a bit of time polishing and cleaning the bearing and added an earth wire.

Reid Malenfant
21-03-2011, 19:03
Wow. That's £5.30 cheaper than my amp. I mustn't have tried hard enough. Good luck with the repair.
I'm surprised i was only the second bidder tbh :scratch: You should have seen my face light up when i realised the other person bidding was a n00b to ebay with 2 feedbacks :D I guess he/she knows what sniping is about now even though i do it manually - stuff using a program :rolleyes:

I managed to fix mine for nowt.
I should imagine that's about how much this will cost to fix even if the transformer is stuffed or all the output transistors :)

Good luck & nice work with the record deck, me, i'm going the CD route ;)

Dingdong
21-03-2011, 19:25
I'm surprised i was only the second bidder tbh :scratch: You should have seen my face light up when i realised the other person bidding was a n00b to ebay with 2 feedbacks :D I guess he/she knows what sniping is about now even though i do it manually - stuff using a program :rolleyes:

I should imagine that's about how much this will cost to fix even if the transformer is stuffed or all the output transistors :)

Good luck & nice work with the record deck, me, i'm going the CD route ;)

I did cd in my £55 system at Scalford. I thought I might try something different. I have an idea for a pc based system using an old pc I was given and a touchscreen monitor that was getting thrown out as the psu had blown. It's a bit drawing board at the moment. Will see how it goes.

I found a pair of Project speaker stands in the loft. I'm happy to donate these for everybody to use along with my £5 rack if that suits.

Reid Malenfant
01-04-2011, 13:02
A little something that might enter the fray (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230602017143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) ;)

Loadsa money left still :cool:

Reid Malenfant
06-04-2011, 10:00
:lolsign: That amp just arrived ;) Mains fuse was blown so fitted the spare that was in the holder on the combined IEC/fuse mains connector &....

:rave: :mex:

Chuffed :cool:

Boxed as new with instructions & the outer box as well :champagne:

Dingdong
06-04-2011, 18:03
Nice one. That's a lot of watts for not a lot of money. It sometimes amazes me that people don't think of simple stuff like fuses. But his loss and all that...

Tim
06-04-2011, 18:06
:lolsign: That amp just arrived ;) Mains fuse was blown so fitted the spare that was in the holder on the combined IEC/fuse mains connector &....

:rave: :mex:

Chuffed :cool:

Boxed as new with instructions & the outer box as well :champagne:
Good grief........ now that's what I call a bargain :stalks:

Reid Malenfant
06-04-2011, 18:08
Well tbh i don't think the seller spotted it ;) It was a combined IEC input with a fuseholder built in & it didn't say "fuse" on the fuseholder :rolleyes: Obviously i knew what it was as soon as i saw it as i have seen it all before :eyebrows:

I just levered it out, removed the blown fuse & fitted the spare that happened to be in part of it :lolsign:

Yep, bargain & i bet it doesn't sound bad either as it's not a piece of junk like some PA amps :)

Just noticed that it says AC Input & fuse printed just below it on the back panel... Ah well... No idea how it was missed then :scratch:

Tim
06-04-2011, 18:08
You have to laugh at this from his listing description;

Could be useful for spare parts or someone electrically minded who knows how to repair these things. :doh: feel a bit sorry for him really, especially as he seemed to like it!

Reid Malenfant
06-04-2011, 18:22
:doh: feel a bit sorry for him really, especially as he seemed to like it!
Ah, yes Tim in a way i agree ;) However for every one that loses some sellers gain :rolleyes: the Receiver i bought/won previously arrived in super condition, but with the whole power amplifier section missing :steam:

Having looked carefully at the item condition for "spares or repair" it appears that bits can be missing & it's still ok :steam:

So i got a pre amp with 200W PSU for £1.20, i actually wanted to get the whole thing working minus the radio :rolleyes:

Bit of a disappointment but there you go, win some, lose some..

E2A:- i haven't bothered finding out if it works yet either, so other things might be duff!

Dingdong
06-04-2011, 19:27
Did you look inside the box to see if anything is there?

Reid Malenfant
06-04-2011, 19:36
Yes, the whole lot is there except for the power amp PCBs & output transistors. There is a nice load of thermal transfer compound where the transistors used to be bolted to the heatsink :rolleyes:

They is gone, but at least with some work i should be able to use it as a pre amp :)

Reid Malenfant
07-04-2011, 18:45
I think i might well have found the transformers i need (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250800042683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) to power the HY60 amplifier modules :) Frankly the price is ridiculously low so i have messaged the seller to confirm that these are 18V 10Amp AC transformers :scratch:

Don't worry, there are plenty of them & i only need 4 :eyebrows:

Best offer as well, i likes it... If they are 180VA i'll offer £20 for 4 which will take me to £49.23 spent so far if it's accepted :eek: No source yet either 4113

Dingdong
07-04-2011, 19:08
It's all a bit quiet with my system. But I only need some cables. And I've got 11 months to sort them.
There is a possibility that the amp might need a new cap and a pot cleaning. I'll get to it eventually.
How's everybody else getting along, or is it a secret?

Alex_UK
07-04-2011, 20:28
How's everybody else getting along, or is it a secret?

Hi Mark, I've blown more than half my budget on a pair of RAM 150 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=200124&postcount=308) speakers, but I'm confident they will be my secret weapon! :eyebrows:

Amp not finalised, but may have something to report soon...

Still yet to decide on a source, but have a couple of ideas up my sleeve... Boy will it have to be cheap! :)

Reid Malenfant
07-04-2011, 20:40
Still yet to decide on a source, but have a couple of ideas up my sleeve... Boy will it have to be cheap! :)
Likewise, i'm hoping to find something non functional that i can repair so it's as cheap as possible. Plenty of time i suppose..

Reid Malenfant
08-04-2011, 13:33
I think i might well have found the transformers i need (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250800042683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) to power the HY60 amplifier modules :) Frankly the price is ridiculously low so i have messaged the seller to confirm that these are 18V 10Amp AC transformers :scratch:

Don't worry, there are plenty of them & i only need 4 :eyebrows:

Best offer as well, i likes it... If they are 180VA i'll offer £20 for 4 which will take me to £49.23 spent so far if it's accepted :eek: No source yet either 4113
Seller confirmed that they are indeed 180VA transformers :) I honestly don't know how the hell they can sell them at that price or post them as they must weigh a good few Kg each :scratch:

Seller accepted my offer of £5 each :D Private sale so had to take a screen shot:-

I'm have now spent £49.23 :cool:

Jac Hawk
09-04-2011, 00:05
Well my bits and bobs as they stand at the moment remain the same as before, Trio KA80, Castle Durhams, Yamaha DVDS2500, however Dave Brook has given me a Technics SL1800 and i've bought a headshell and a couple of cartridges for it and to be honnest it sounds really good.

So what i'm thinking is ditching the Yamaha and using the TT as the source, not because it sounds better but because it will mean that i can look for a better set of speakers, now i'm not saying the Castles are bad, but they are quite small, and don't give you as my dad used to say "gut wrenching bass", so in anything larger than a modest sized room the bottom end may struggle to shine. On a more possitive note though, the amp is a little beauty:)

greenhomeelectronics
09-04-2011, 07:37
This is all brilliant stuff, keep up the good work chaps:)

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 07:44
:o best I hurry up and finish some rules, then!

Dingdong
09-04-2011, 08:36
I'm off in search of some more watts. I don't think the Delta 70 is getting the best out of my DM2a's.
It's nice to see another vinyl setup. If anyone wants to give me free stuff they are more than welcome.

Jac Hawk
09-04-2011, 09:33
I'm off in search of some more watts. I don't think the Delta 70 is getting the best out of my DM2a's.
It's nice to see another vinyl setup. If anyone wants to give me free stuff they are more than welcome.

The thing is Mark I wasn't even on the scrounge, i was looking to buy a TT not for the challenge, just for me, so i posted a thread asking for some advice on a sub £100 deck and Dave kindly offered to give me his SL1800, how could i say no:eyebrows:

However, i would understand completely if freebies are excluded from the challenge, but i suppose that's up to Alex to decide.

Dingdong
09-04-2011, 09:42
I have no problems with freebies. Freebies are good. I'm hoping that my speakers get past the rules. I swapped them for a tuner I bought the previous week for a tenner. Is that bending the rules too far?

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 10:53
Freebies are fine!

Now, Mark Reid Malenfant has been very generous in a PM I just found that he sent late one night (after a few too many snakebites) offering to give me his Krell CD player!!! Looks like I have my front end! ;)

(In other words, genuine freebies are fine, but the fun spirit of the challenge is to be maintained at all times - so no contrived collaborations, please! :))

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 10:54
Swaps are fine too. I'll be posting Mark my Bush micro system that he wants to swap for his Mackie amp later today! ;)

Stratmangler
09-04-2011, 11:32
Freebies are fine!

Now, Mark Reid Malenfant has been very generous in a PM I just found that he sent late one night (after a few too many snakebites) offering to give me his Krell CD player!!! Looks like I have my front end! ;)

(In other words, genuine freebies are fine, but the fun spirit of the challenge is to be maintained at all times - so no contrived collaborations, please! :))

Seems a bit unfair, you "happening" upon a Krell CDP like that.
Methinks the Police need policing. It comes across as a very contrived collaboration.

By the rules as you've set the out it's open for Marco to give me his complete rig for the day.

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 11:36
Seems a bit unfair, you "happening" upon a Krell CDP like that.
Methinks the Police need policing. It comes across as a very contrived collaboration.

By the rules as you've set the out it's open for Marco to give me his complete rig for the day.

Um, that was supposed to be my attempt at humour, Chris! Sorry if it came across as being serious, I was just joking! :doh:

Stratmangler
09-04-2011, 11:38
Um, that was supposed to be my attempt at humour, Chris! Sorry if it came across as being serious, I was just joking! :doh:

Sorry Alex - I had a sense of humour failure then ;)
The perils of the typed word, eh ?

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 11:42
I was just imaging Mark choking on his coffee when he reads it - then frantically scrabbling through his sent PM's!!! :D

Stratmangler
09-04-2011, 11:45
I was just imaging Mark choking on his coffee when he reads it - then frantically scrabbling through his sent PM's!!! :D

Now you explain it..........:D

Reid Malenfant
09-04-2011, 11:46
Freebies are fine!

:lolsign: :ner: 4142

Tim
09-04-2011, 11:52
Well it made me laugh, I first thought WTF? Then I thought, "hang on this is Alex" :D

Tim
25-04-2011, 17:18
Well I've decided to give this a go...... I don't for one moment think I'm in with a chance of winning, as I'm incapable of modding anything. However, I'm going to try and put together a ridiculously cheap system, hoping to spend a lot less than £100.00 - and for me the fun will be taking part and ensure I get my arse over to Scalford next year :)

Not doing too well at the moment - all I have are some stands, given to me by a mate who was going to chuck them away (does this count Alex?).

I may try the tip tomorrow :lolsign:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2011, 17:32
Good for you Tim, it's the taking part that makes it all good fun ;)

Best of luck fella, i'm finding it damn near impossible to find a decent front end :doh:

Jac Hawk
25-04-2011, 18:20
Good for you Tim, it's the taking part that makes it all good fun ;)

Best of luck fella, i'm finding it damn near impossible to find a decent front end :doh:

Strange that, cos although i'm pleased with the Castle Durhams i got for the challenge, i think i could do better, to be honnest though it all depends on the room size for the judging, in a small to medium sized room the castles are great little speakers, but they would be hard pushed to deliver bass in the required quantities in a larger room:scratch:, does anyone know how big the judging room is roughly? :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2011, 18:24
<snip> does anyone know how big the judging room is roughly? :eyebrows:
No, but in all honesty there is going to be a bit of kit isn't there ;) I think what we ought to do is each of the entrants chip in towards the costs of hiring a reasonably sized room or there will be no room for anything but equipment :lol:

Jac Hawk
25-04-2011, 18:27
Not doing too well at the moment - all I have are some stands, given to me by a mate who was going to chuck them away (does this count Alex?).

I don't think stands count mate nor do equipment stands but everything else does, i think freebies are ok too, to be honnest Alex is the guy you need to talk to about the rules.

Anyway i'm pleased to see you giving it a go, the more the better as they say :cool:

Jac Hawk
25-04-2011, 18:35
No, but in all honesty there is going to be a bit of kit isn't there ;) I think what we ought to do is each of the entrants chip in towards the costs of hiring a reasonably sized room or there will be no room for anything but equipment :lol:

I'm ok with that idea, i would also suggest that competitors only bring equipment and leads, there should be a selection of stands both for speakers and equipment that all competitors can use, other wise like you said Mark the room is gonna be swamped with kit:eek:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2011, 18:44
I'll be going with some kind of floorstanders Mike so stands are not an issue for me :)

Alex, do you still have the Hifi Wigwam show leaflet that we were all given when tickets were purchased on the door? Well i do & it gives a pretty good idea of the room sizes if everything is to scale which i believe it looks to be ;)

What we really ought to consider ASAP is deciding what room would be big enough & getting over to the Wam & securing a room of our choice (if that possible!). If you haven't got the plans then i'll take pics & upload them so we can see what's what & then choose a few rooms to avoid disappointment :)

You also have a PM to highlight the importance of this directed to this post :eyebrows:

Tim
25-04-2011, 18:49
Maybe it would be an idea to edit the original post and put a list of names for all those taking part. That'll give an idea of what might be required?

Jac Hawk
25-04-2011, 20:46
Maybe it would be an idea to edit the original post and put a list of names for all those taking part. That'll give an idea of what might be required?

yes something like sending you (alex) a pm stating a wish to enter, so you would know likely amounts, also a closing date to for entries

Tim
25-04-2011, 20:59
Just missed out on a pair of Celestion 100's tonight, which were £1.20 up to 3 seconds to go, then sold for just under £26.00 :( I would have liked those anyway, despite the challenge.

Alex_UK
25-04-2011, 22:11
Mark - too knackered (pissed!) tonight to worry about it - but I have made a "note to self" to get my sh!t together! :eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
26-04-2011, 00:06
but I have made a "note to self" to get my sh!t together! :eyebrows:

I usually keep mine in a special white bowl with all the other little brown fish:ner: :lolsign:

keiths
26-04-2011, 09:23
Probably not my place to comment as I'll not be able to get to Scalford, but isn't the Scalford show the worst place to do this? I mean, Scalford is a once a year chance for everyone to get together, hear lots of different systems at a wide range of price points - most people who went to the show this year commented that they didn't have enough time to get around all the rooms and hear everything they wanted to. Anyone doing this challange is just about foregoing the chance to listen to anything else during the show.

Why not hire a room above a pub somewhere for an afternoon well before Scalford to do this (and arrange a meal for everyone afterwards - do that in the same pub and you'll probably get the upstairs room for free anyway). Maybe use this to get it down to the top two systems and use Scalford as the final shootout?

As I say, not really up to me to comment as I won't be taking part, but just my 2p worth.

Tim
26-04-2011, 11:16
That's a very good point Keith and something I hadn't considered.

It will be my first visit to Scalford and I would want to see as much as possible, so there could be a time management issue :scratch:

Jac Hawk
26-04-2011, 11:29
Yes a good point keith, but members are all over the country and aranging a pre bake off may put some folk off, also it would really only be the judging panel who would miss out and not the competitors, as each competitor would be given a time slot of say 20 minutes to show off their system to the judging panel, giving enough time to see other rooms, to be honnest though if there are a lot of entrants then doing it in stages may be the only way to go, it all depends on the numbers.

Dingdong
26-04-2011, 17:36
How many are taking up the challenge at the moment?

After selling off one bit of my system and swapping another I currently have;

A nice Marantz cd player
A Garrard turntable with Grado cartridge
A Denon tuner
A Leak amp
A pair of B&W speakers and some stands
A couple of isolation platforms.
An oscilloscope to help me sort out the small problem with the amp

With a little left over for some cables.

I'm all for chipping in for sharing a room for the systems.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2011, 17:46
Me :)

Right now i have the following :eyebrows:

A 180W per channel power amp
4 x ILP HY60 amplifier modules
4 x Audax 5 1/4" bass midrange units
2 x 1" dome tweeters
4 x 18V 180VA transformers
A receiver to use as a pre amp (once fettled)
An active crossover
1 sheet of 18mm MDF
200 x 1 1/4" size 6 twin thread screws
Lots of ideas & not a lot else :D

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 17:51
what about on the Saturday as it is setting up day for the show anyway in another room then the winner gets to show it off on the Sunday in the AOS room, it would mean a stay over night though but with more time for beer or six
just a thought :comatose:

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2011, 17:57
:lolsign: C'mon Jon, would you want this tat in the AoS room? :eyebrows:

I like the Saturday idea but i guess the winner could simply leave the system in the same room once it's won. Then anyone who ventures in can see what £100, some scrounging & ingenuity can get you :lolsign:

Tim
26-04-2011, 17:58
How many are taking up the challenge at the moment?

After selling off one bit of my system and swapping another I currently have;

A nice Marantz cd player
A Garrard turntable with Grado cartridge
A Denon tuner
A Leak amp
A pair of B&W speakers and some stands
A couple of isolation platforms.
An oscilloscope to help me sort out the small problem with the amp

With a little left over for some cables.

I'm all for chipping in for sharing a room for the systems.

Gordon Bennett and all I have are some crappy stands a mate was throwing away - maybe this wasn't such a good idea for a numptie like me :scratch:

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 18:08
:lolsign: C'mon Jon, would you want this tat in the AoS room? :eyebrows:

Might get Marco worried though as he might here some proper Hifi instead of his old tat :ner:

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2011, 18:12

Dingdong
26-04-2011, 18:25
Gordon Bennett and all I have are some crappy stands a mate was throwing away - maybe this wasn't such a good idea for a numptie like me :scratch:

You've got loads of time. If you need some speaker cable I've got a couple of bits spare that you can have really cheap.

Alex_UK
26-04-2011, 21:42
Probably not my place to comment as I'll not be able to get to Scalford, but isn't the Scalford show the worst place to do this? I mean, Scalford is a once a year chance for everyone to get together, hear lots of different systems at a wide range of price points - most people who went to the show this year commented that they didn't have enough time to get around all the rooms and hear everything they wanted to. Anyone doing this challange is just about foregoing the chance to listen to anything else during the show.

Why not hire a room above a pub somewhere for an afternoon well before Scalford to do this (and arrange a meal for everyone afterwards - do that in the same pub and you'll probably get the upstairs room for free anyway). Maybe use this to get it down to the top two systems and use Scalford as the final shootout?

As I say, not really up to me to comment as I won't be taking part, but just my 2p worth.

Pretty sure I floated this idea before, of making it a separate "social" occasion (i.e. piss-up) for those who want to have a go... Maybe we could go for that, depending on the number of interested parties.

Maybe I should try a poll to see what folks would prefer - but feel free to post here your preferences.

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 15:24
Any idea when a set of rules will be hammered out Alex?

nat8808
24-05-2011, 23:12
How full a system is it intended to be?

Would just a cd player and active speakers count? Does it have to function fully or is it sound quality that counts? (Could put some resistors on the output and have a fixed volume - cheaper than a pot or pre-amp).

People's lists seem to include multiple sources which would seem to be stretching budgets .. but perhaps it shouldn't be pointed out and them left to their own ways (but not win).

Jac Hawk
25-05-2011, 00:08
I think the idea is to have a source, vinyl, CD etc. and some way of hearing it, how you accomplish that is up to you, I personally will either go with vinyl or CD as source with an integrated amp and speakers, my idea is to try to put together a system that will knock the socks of something costing 4 times the price if bought out of say a high street HiFi shop, but not need too much in the way of moding, so that it could be put together by an average joe, regardless of how good they are with a soldering iron etc.

Alex_UK
25-05-2011, 22:21
Sorry guys, I'll get to it eventually... (this week's excuse is that I'm on holiday, next week's will be that I'm at work! ;))

Mike
02-07-2011, 17:03
Just found this and there's too many pages to read through ATM...

Is it still "best system for £100"?

I'm tempted! :)