PDA

View Full Version : Memorable moments during a live performance

magiccarpetride
16-02-2011, 23:21
I've attended numerous live performances in my life, and many of them have been quite memorable. However, I can count on the fingers of one hand a few of those extra magical moments when you experience a completely new breakthrough, when the Red Sea parts and the planets align and you pierce through the fabric of time and experience full blown eternity.

I think the first time I've experiences something resembling such a piercing through into the eternity was way back in 1979 while attending John McLaughlin's solo guitar performance. I remember that he did something on the guitar, and the gates of heaven opened, if only for a fleeting few moments.

Next time I've experienced that kind of a 'peak moment' was in 1981, while attending Pat Metheny Group performance. Again, it was during Pat's opening guitar work, just him and his heavily modulated electric, playing some heavenly arpeggios. I remember that moment quite well, it's burned into my brain -- I though I'd died and went straight to heaven.

Any similar peak moments you'd care to share with us?

MartinT
17-02-2011, 01:21
Around the mid-eighties, Simon Rattle conducting Mahler Symphony No.2 with the CBSO at the Festival Hall. He had fine tuned the Brum orchestra over the years into a world outfit, the equal of almost anyone. Their blazing performance and searing finale had everyone on their feet at the end, with more than a few of us bearing tears in our eyes. Overwhelming is the exact word for the experience.

Beechwoods
17-02-2011, 19:14
I saw Spiritualized at Bristol Colston Hall around 2001. I was in the balcony, which comprises a quite steep bank of seating, with excellent views of the stage and the atrium above.

Anyway, Spz kicked into Electric Mainline, and for about 4 or 5 minutes the auditorium was bathed in swirling spots of light from a mirrorball... with the music, the lights, and the seating arrangement I definitely felt like I was floating; so much so I had to hold onto my chair to stop myself going anywhere!

And no, I was completely sober at the time.

John
17-02-2011, 19:52
I have a few
Shawn Lane at the Pizza Express just totally transported into another world
The Dirty Three in Camden Warren violin went through my body like the same feeling after having great sex it just left my body totally cleansed and alive
The Two times I seen Zero Hour boy that band is tight and heavy
Diamond Head at Woolwich Odeon just a night of great humour, happened night after the riots came out so bloody high and came down so quickly when discovered no trains back Bloody scary
Surinder Sandhu Boy just so fucking tight and took me into another world
The Hellecasters These cats were so tight musical and fun
I love that about gigs and good music and guess been lucky enough to have so many good experiences and guess that is one of the reasons why I been to so many gigs and love music for me Its one of the few places I can experience a sense of transendence

Pete The Cat
19-02-2011, 14:23
Ramones at Sheffield Octagon in 1987. Largely because of proximity - right at the front up against the barrier, in the days when the front didn't mean being several yards away from a stage - you could smell the leather of their jackets... :youtheman:

Pete

Stratmangler
19-02-2011, 14:37
Jeff Beck, Manchester Apollo, 1981, dead centre of front row.
Spent the gig propping the stage up.

The band comprised of Tony Hymas (Keyboards), Mo Foster (Bass), and Simon Phillips (Drums).

Heard everthing through the stage monitors and backline amplification.
I've still got the bottleneck Jeff threw out into the audience at the end of the performance.

chris@panteg
19-02-2011, 19:12
Peter Hammill ' May 1994

Fantastic gig , most memorable moment for me was Dave Jackson ' playing twin saxophone's , :eek: blew me away .