PDA

View Full Version : Bowers and Wilkins DM2A speakers

Barry
14-02-2011, 19:55
A friend of mine is wanting to sell his B&W DM2A speakers. These are in good condition with (as far as I know) no degredation of the drive unit surrounds.

What would be a reasonable asking price for these speakers? Perhaps one of the two 'Daves' would know.

Thanks

Regards

Rare Bird
14-02-2011, 19:58
Hard to tell, i've seen em fetch £50 - £300, are they the 'DM2' or '2a'?

DSJR
14-02-2011, 20:14
Around a ton I suspect, bearing in mind current fleabay prices. Some years ago, I'd have said £50 to £75, bearing in mind these are ancient now (pushing forty years old) and cannot be serviced easily if they're blown up.

I always had a soft spot for the DM2 series. Hope they go to a great home :)

Barry
14-02-2011, 20:23
Thanks Guys.

Interestingly, he already had a figure of £100 in mind, though I'm sure he would sell them to me for half that.

André
Yes they are the DM2a versions. Was there a DM2a 'improved' or 'DM2a II'? My friend muttered something about them having been upgraded.

If I were to go and inspect them, what things apart from the obvious cosmetic condition, should I look out for? Are the crossovers external to the cabinets?

Cheers

Rare Bird
14-02-2011, 20:34
Thanks Guys.

Interestingly, he already had a figure of £100 in mind, though I'm sure he would sell them to me for half that.

André
Yes they are the DM2a versions. Was there a DM2a 'improved' or 'DM2a II'? My friend muttered something about them having been upgraded.

If I were to go and inspect them, what things apart from the obvious cosmetic condition, should I look out for? Are the crossovers external to the cabinets?

Cheers

The DM2a have a switch in the back, crossovers are internal, the desirable ones are the ones with the wood veneer fronts to match the cabinet/sausage shape port.The DM2 II are a totally different speaker.