PDA

View Full Version : Adding a DAC to a Teac Reference 300?

biggzy
13-02-2011, 22:41
Hi all, should be getting my Teac PD-H300 CD player this week to go with my Teac A-H300 stereo amp in the bedroom, would i be better off getting a DAC also? i wouldn't want to spend too much for a second hand one, must be cheap as possible really.

Any advice or is it not worth it on a Teac Reference? Would i benefit from it?
Also what makes to look out for?

Thanks,
Adam.

lovejoy
17-02-2011, 12:29
Hi Adam,
The Teac CD and amp are designed for each other and it's a nice system. My experience of adding DACs to CD players at this level is that they will change the character of the sound rather than provide definable improvements, so the only way you're going to be able to judge whether you'll prefer the system with a DAC on the end of it is to listen to a couple.

If it was me, I would use the money reserved for a DAC and make sure the interconnects and speaker cables are a good match for the rest of the system.

biggzy
17-02-2011, 12:46
Hi Adam,
The Teac CD and amp are designed for each other and it's a nice system. My experience of adding DACs to CD players at this level is that they will change the character of the sound rather than provide definable improvements, so the only way you're going to be able to judge whether you'll prefer the system with a DAC on the end of it is to listen to a couple.

If it was me, I would use the money reserved for a DAC and make sure the interconnects and speaker cables are a good match for the rest of the system.

Hi lovejoy, thanks very much for the advice ;)

Adam.

biggzy
17-02-2011, 13:05
P.S. how do i know what speaker wire and interconnects are a good match? i was thinking of the QED Performance AUDIO 0.5 meter interconnect and already have some QED micro speaker cable (i want to replace it with some QED XT cable), will this stuff be ok for the Teac?

Thanks,
Adam.

lovejoy
17-02-2011, 13:46
QED cables are always a good bet, although the micro speaker cable is rather bass light, but then that's not really surprising.

What speakers are you using?

biggzy
17-02-2011, 13:59
QED cables are always a good bet, although the micro speaker cable is rather bass light, but then that's not really surprising.

What speakers are you using?

Yes thats why i want to change the speaker wire to the XT or Anniversary wire.

The speakers i will be using once i have them are the new Tannoy Mercury V1's, will have to have them a few days to see what they sound like with the Teac, if they don't sound right then im not sure what to get, maybe the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.

Adam.

Ali Tait
17-02-2011, 14:08
Consider the cable sold by Microphonic Audio on ebay. This is very good IMHO and very cheap.

biggzy
17-02-2011, 14:11
Consider the cable sold by Microphonic Audio on ebay. This is very good IMHO and very cheap.

Any chance of a link please mate? Thanks :)

jon1
20-02-2011, 12:08
Their you go http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Microphonic+Audio&_sacat=See-All-Categories

jon

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 12:25
Sorry Adam, I missed your post. Don't be put off by the low price. I'm using these in my active set up driving my open baffles. I think they are very good cables.

biggzy
20-02-2011, 13:48
Their you go http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Microphonic+Audio&_sacat=See-All-Categories

jon
Thanks for the link Jon

Adam.

biggzy
20-02-2011, 13:49
Sorry Adam, I missed your post. Don't be put off by the low price. I'm using these in my active set up driving my open baffles. I think they are very good cables.

Hi Tait, how thick are the cables? i bought some QED micro and IMO there too thin. Are these thicker?

Thanks,
Adam.

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 14:06
IMHO that's not really an issue. These are quite thin, but considering I replaced some 6mm squared cable with this stuff with no loss of bass depth and a considerable improvement in quality, I think they are quite thick enough, especially when you consider my open baffles have two Eminence 15 inch woofers per side.

I'd say it's about 1mm squared or so in size.

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 14:09
Per conductor, so two runs of that on each channel.

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 14:26
To put it in perspective, a 1mm flex cable will carry about 15 amps max, way more than you will ever require from your system.

biggzy
20-02-2011, 16:48
Thanks for the info mate, will pick some up :)

Ali Tait
20-02-2011, 17:10
I'll be interested in what you think.

ikaruga
25-02-2011, 14:18
I'd be interested as well. Just got a Teac AH500i amp, which is fantastic but interested in some different speaker cable to replace my Linn K20.

Fi-Wi
26-02-2011, 08:00
Thanks for the info mate, will pick some up :)

Do post you findings once you have heard them as I'm interested in the sound of these cables.