PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon All from Rainy Surrey

Rev Brownbread
13-02-2011, 15:32
Greetings!

Just joined the forum today, so hello everybody.

Also just purchased a second turntable and will be in need of some friendly advice I daresay.

System is a Naim based one with Roksan turntables. Xerxes Mk1 and now X20. A pair of Shahinian Arcs that play everything from the gentle folk of Nick Drake thru to Post Industrial Einsturzende Neubauten.

See you around!

Ewen

MartinT
13-02-2011, 15:41
Welcome, Ewen! How do you find spares and support for the Xerxes Mk.I? What arms and cartridges are you using?

Dive in, you'll find us a friendly lot here :)

keiths
13-02-2011, 15:41
Hi Ewen,

Welcome to AoS.

Rev Brownbread
13-02-2011, 15:56
Thanks Keith!

Martin - Spares for the Roksan Mk 1 are easy enough. I know a great turntable man, which helps.

the Mk1 has an XPS7 PSU with Nima Arm, Audio Origami tone arm cable and Transfiguration Aria Cartridge.

The X20 (not yet set up) has a Morch arm and Ortofon MC5000 Cart. It's just waiting the attention of my turntable guru and a decent phono stage!

E

MartinT
13-02-2011, 16:03
Interesting, Ewen. My Mk.I had a collapsed top plate (they all seemed to go like that) and I got sick of resetting the suspension so that something somewhere didn't rub. I had the uprated PSU but the best thing about it was the SME IV. When Roksan ceased support I sold it off in disgust.

Now the Morch and Ortofon MC5000 sound like a great combination. Please do report on them when you have them running.

Rev Brownbread
13-02-2011, 16:09
Martin,

My top plinth never sagged enough to become a problem. That said I had a Shim kit fitted last year and a thorough service at the capable hands of Derek Jenkins who sold me the deck in the early 1990's.

It's a beautiful looking deck in Walnut finish and I think I'll struggle to part with it. However the X20 could change my mind........:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
13-02-2011, 16:14
Hello again Ewen and thanks for the introduction.
Welcome to the Art of Sound!

Rev Brownbread
13-02-2011, 16:22
Thanks Chris,

By the way, the Grand Wazoo is my usual test record.

Alex_UK
13-02-2011, 20:46
Welcome, Ewan. Are you a real Reverend, by the way, and if so, how do you find the time to join a hifi forum on a Sunday? ;)

Enjoy AoS!

Zoidburg
14-02-2011, 12:50
Greetings!

Just joined the forum today, so hello everybody.

Also just purchased a second turntable and will be in need of some friendly advice I daresay.

System is a Naim based one with Roksan turntables. Xerxes Mk1 and now X20. A pair of Shahinian Arcs that play everything from the gentle folk of Nick Drake thru to Post Industrial Einsturzende Neubauten.

See you around!

Ewen

Hello Ewan,

I also live in croydon so I just thought id say Hi as i am also new to the site!

Ben

Techno Commander
14-02-2011, 12:55
Welcome Ewan.

And Ben. :)