PDA

View Full Version : foam ..to have or have not .

zanash
13-02-2011, 12:47
I can't take credit for either the article or posting it on other forums ..I just saw this on pf ...

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

in the same vein ...crippling the performance of audio gear is very common ..imo

I seen example from nd [shfit the letter on your key board]..were a really nasty low cost cap has been placed in the signal path ...the only reason I can see is to cripple the output ...so the more expensive units still sound better ..

A certain cd maker is very found of a dam ..thats sat after the opams in the output stage ....having shorted out the dam on a 63 and some of the later cdp's ...its astonishing the level of performance these units can achieve ....I bet there were some serious red faces ...when a budget cd out perform the flagship units ...so to maintain product heirachcy 30 or so resistorce and caps have been added to for the dam ...actually its a rather good name for it ..as it does precisly what it suggests ..

these are of course only my opinions and observations and could be totally wrong !

Ali Tait
13-02-2011, 13:03
Yep, doesn't surprise me in the least.

Alex_UK
13-02-2011, 17:59
That is quite shocking, I always suspected this sort of thing must happen for the sake of hierarchy but still amazed that it actually does!