PDA

View Full Version : Desoldering Made Easy

Hypnotoad
13-02-2011, 04:00
Last year I was being tormented by this new lead free solder, I was upgrading a Cambridge Audio 640P, it was hard work. It took me ages to remove one capacitor without lifting a pad or ruining a trace.

That was until I invested in one of these:

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/imgs/detail/hakko_808.jpg

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_808.html

Looks weird but it's extremely light and easy to use and maintain and built very well indeed. It comes in a nice carry case with spare filters etc.

It makes removing old components with lead or lead free solder like shelling peas. Some simply fall off the PCB others just need a gentle tug as the legs are usually bent or crimped. Opamps no problem they just come right out. You can even remove SMD's easily without fear of overheating the PCB.

It's the best thing I have ever bought, so if you're into DIY, upgrading, repairing or restoring anything with a PCB it's a must IMO.

Techno Commander
13-02-2011, 12:12
How does it work with through plated holes? I usuallly find that is where most desolderers have problems.

Hypnotoad
13-02-2011, 13:43
How does it work with through plated holes? I usuallly find that is where most desolderers have problems.

The 640P PCB is through hole plated, I upgrade them for others and I can remove the 30 electrolytic capacitors in around five minutes with that evil lead free solder. That's why this thing is so good because the holes are so tight, if you use solder wick etc you leave a some "cobwebs' in the hole. If you try and ream the holes out you separate the capture pad from the hole plating.

A trick to removing cobwebs if you are using a conventional sucker is to apply some flux and lead solder to the pads and use the sucker again, it usually removes them.

Cobwebs are what I call small amounts of solder that clog or reduce the holes diameter preventing the new leads from going in.

colinB
13-02-2011, 14:00
What a great tool. Cant find it in the uk though.

Hypnotoad
13-02-2011, 14:48
What a great tool. Cant find it in the uk though.

Try here:

http://www.dancap.co.uk/desoldering/808CE.htm

colinB
13-02-2011, 14:58
Thanks. I dont doubt its value but if it was half the price i would snap one up.

Hypnotoad
13-02-2011, 15:43
Thanks. I dont doubt its value but if it was half the price i would snap one up.

I bought mine for $175.00 including tax from Fry's Electronics here in Houston, which is about 110 pounds on the current exchange rates.

Beats me why they are so expensive in the U.K.

Ali Tait
13-02-2011, 15:46
Everything is expensive here.We get ripped off left right and center.

MartinT
13-02-2011, 15:50
Lead-free solder is awful stuff. I have a big reel of leaded solder at home and hopefully it will last me to the end of my days.

One trick with through-hole plated desoldering is to add a little solder to the joint, then suck with a good solder sucker. It tends to get everything out in one go. Never struggle with removing a component, that's how the pads come off PCBs. Add more solder and try again.

goraman
13-02-2011, 17:35
I'm Always on the look out for old solder at flea markets and yard sales,another thing I look for is ww1 GI rifle bore cleaner.
I have a life time supply of that,good stuff poison for sure but it works well.
This is WW2 but it's the same stuff.I have 10 1 quart cans of WW1 and several like these from WW2.I even have some very small 2 oz. cans I keep in my range box.http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/military_antiques.php?step=20&searchunder=prodid&searchfor=5798

The smell alone will clean anything,But it's smell is so strong you will only want to use it at the range as it dosen't leave for days.

colinB
13-02-2011, 17:53
:lol: You guys and your guns crack me up.

goraman
13-02-2011, 18:09
Collin,Shooting targets can be alot of fun.

I don't run around in an old truck with stars and bars wareing camo and plad with a Pit Bull
named Bro.

I just like ringing a metal gong,or golf ball at 300 meters.
My best shot group was shot with my 7.62 at the 300 meter rail from the prone position .355 of an inch far smaller than a U.S. dime.(one little ragged hole) 5 shots.
It takes alot of self dicapline, careful hand loading,and experiance to achive that.It also takes one hell of alot of fine tuning to ones rifle.
I have spent tons of money and time to get great results.
And learned enough to have bedded and tuned some pretty expencive match guns that have gone on to win medals and trophys.
I have even restored some very old guns from frame up.The last one I did was a .45 Webly from just a frame and cylinder.
It took 2 years to find all the correct parts going to gun shows,old run down gun shops and emailing all over the country.
Why ? Just because I thought it would be fun to see how it would shoot,I had the cylinder milled to accept 45 ACP on half moon clips and it shot pretty well with 230 grain lead wadcutters.
It's not unlike audio,Time,education and money for small incramental improvements,but with guns it can me messured every day at the target.
With audio there is alot of subjectivity.

colinB
13-02-2011, 18:39
The best bonding session i had with my dad was when he bought me a Webley air pistol. He never used the garage so i had targets in there everywhere. I liked shooting darts as opposed to pellets.
These days of course, young British kids get there firing fun on games consoles as even owning a pellet gun here lands you in big trouble.

goraman
13-02-2011, 18:53
The best bonding session i had with my dad was when he bought me a Webley air pistol. He never used the garage so i had targets in there everywhere. I liked shooting darts as opposed to pellets.
These days of course, young British kids get there firing fun on games consoles as even owning a pellet gun here lands you in big trouble.

Very,very sad.
Learning to shoot and care for a firearm with your father is a huge right of passage to becomeing a man.

The trust and respect you learn stays with you your whole life.

slate
14-02-2011, 14:02
I bought mine for $175.00 including tax from 34654Fry's Electronics here in Houston, which is about 110 pounds on the current exchange rates.

Beats me why they are so expensive in the U.K.

Phillip, can you confirm if your 808 is able to function in Europe 220-240 volts or is it only 110 volt? I can't find that information on their site.

I have only spotted one seller in Denmark and they only deal with companies anyway with VAT 350£ :steam:
But I have a colleague in Plano; maybe he should visit Fry's before his next trip home.

My Caiman was the first encounter with leadfree electronics and I hadv to have a friend bring the PCB to his work. My old iron could not make a scratch in that &%¤#% solder

Hypnotoad
14-02-2011, 17:17
Phillip, can you confirm if your 808 is able to function in Europe 220-240 volts or is it only 110 volt? I can't find that information on their site.

I have only spotted one seller in Denmark and they only deal with companies anyway with VAT 350£ :steam:
But I have a colleague in Plano; maybe he should visit Fry's before his next trip home.

My Caiman was the first encounter with lead free electronics and I had to have a friend bring the PCB to his work. My old iron could not make a scratch in that &%¤#% solder

Not possible as they use different heating elements, pump motor etc, but you could use a step down transformer such as this.

VOD 300 - STEP DOWN VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER - CE CERTIFIED

* 300 Watt maximum capacity heavy-duty continuous use transformer
* Converts single phase 220/240 Volts down to 110/120 Volts
* Compatible with both 50Hz and 60Hz
* One grounded outlet in front of unit (accepts 3 or 2 prong US and Euro plugs)
* Hard wired with a European Shucko plug also good for Asian outlets
* Durable design with a heavy-duty cord
* CE Approved and Certified

Price: US $ 15.99

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-down-transformer.html

I had an easy time removing components from my Nakamichi Cassette deck and actually thought I was pretty good at it. When I tried on the 640P it was a very rude awakening, this stuff does not melt properly and if you apply enough heat to use solder wick you lift pads.

When I first tried the Hakko 808 on it I did not think it had done anything at all, it was so quick and easy. It wasn't until the components literally fell out I realized this thing is pure magic. Now I upgrade other peoples 640P's for them.

Mark Grant
14-02-2011, 19:21
My Caiman was the first encounter with leadfree electronics and I hadv to have a friend bring the PCB to his work. My old iron could not make a scratch in that &%¤#% solder

Following on from Martins post #9 with the extra solder, add some old fashioned lead solder when trying to desolder lead free solder.
The lead solder will melt at a much lower temperature and this will melt the lead free that then 'floats' so it can be removed with a solder sucker. :)

MartinT
15-02-2011, 06:51
And following on from that, always use a solder pump (sucker). I cannot understand how anyone gets on with desolder wick, it would drive me mad.

slate
15-02-2011, 09:50
Únfortunately my colleague in Plano are not planning to drop by Denmark until christmas. Time to check with my colleagues in San Jose...

Hmm at 160$ it is less than 1/3 of the price here... it can pay half the planeticket for a trip... hmmm

http://www.frys.com/product/2760813

Hypnotoad
15-02-2011, 19:01
Únfortunately my colleague in Plano are not planning to drop by Denmark until christmas. Time to check with my colleagues in San Jose...

Hmm at 160$ it is less than 1/3 of the price here... it can pay half the planeticket for a trip... hmmm

http://www.frys.com/product/2760813

Over the counter they put sales tax of 8.25% on top of that, but maybe not if it's shipped internationally. They do ship internationally so it may be worth inquiring how much that would be. It could work out a lot cheaper than buying one locally.

Hypnotoad
15-02-2011, 19:13
And following on from that, always use a solder pump (sucker). I cannot understand how anyone gets on with desolder wick, it would drive me mad.

The beauty of the Hakko 808 is that it has the pump built in so you just place the hot nozzle over the component leg and pad. The solder melts immediately, then you press the trigger and suction is so strong the solder is removed instantly. The component falls out and the holes are clean and the pads look like new. I have done five 640P's since buying it with 30 caps and 4 eight leg op amps each, that's 460 desolders so far and never even looked like having a failure.

I thought the reviews I read were fantasy until I tried one, Fry's have a money back policy if your not satisfied so it was a no risk situation.

But for me there is no way I am taking this thing back, I wish I bought one earlier, it's pure magic.;)

MartinT
15-02-2011, 19:31
I thought the reviews I read were fantasy until I tried one, Fry's have a money back policy if your not satisfied so it was a no risk situation.

But for me there is no way I am taking this thing back, I wish I bought one earlier, it's pure magic.;)

Excellent stuff, I may buy one the next time I'm in Houston (my sister lives there). A step-down transformer is no problem.

P.S. where is the Fry's?

Hypnotoad
15-02-2011, 20:12
Excellent stuff, I may buy one the next time I'm in Houston (my sister lives there). A step-down transformer is no problem.

P.S. where is the Fry's?

It's on I-45 North and West Rd not far from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

Physical address and phone number:

Fry's Electronics
10241 N. Fwy I - 45
Houston, TX, 77037

Ph:281-931-2200

It's close to where I work and live so I go there often, too often.:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
15-02-2011, 20:43
George Bush In(ter)continental Airport

.......I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere..........maybe not.

slate
15-02-2011, 20:46
It's close to where I work and live so I go there often, too often.:eyebrows:

My colleague almost went every week when he did stints i San Jose. Now he got a one year contract in Plano hand, but the wife arrived from Brazil a month ago so I guess that he do not have time/excuse to go that often ;)

colinB
15-02-2011, 20:55

Agree :rolleyes:

Ali Tait
15-02-2011, 21:48
Don't mind desolder braid myself, though I use a sucker too.

slate
15-02-2011, 21:50
Over the counter they put sales tax of 8.25% on top of that, but maybe not if it's shipped internationally. They do ship internationally so it may be worth inquiring how much that would be. It could work out a lot cheaper than buying one locally.

Correct they do ship some of their goods internationally and without local sales tax.
However "Estimated shipping" 114,14$

With exstra tip and filter - total: 319,09$

Changes are that the parcel will get caught on entry which means +tax + 25% sales tax + fee.... grand total : 440$

I think I will wait for a colleague to carry it home... thr freight would then be a pint or two