PDA

View Full Version : Teac Ref 300 Squeezebox 3 mod... Possible?

biggzy
12-02-2011, 23:34
Hi all, just need some thoughts please, im getting a teac Ref 300 system together in the bedroom and wondered if it would be possible to turn a teac T-H300 tuner into a Squeezebox 3, the tuners go for around £10 on ebay, not sure about the SB 3, not looked.

I would rip all internals out of the tuner, open up the SB and fit it into the display area of the Teac, the sockets for the audio outs etc would be refited to the back plate of the Teac, and maybe i could fit in a new/better power supply?

Also does anyone know if it would be possible for the original tuners power button to be used to power on/off the SB?

As for the other buttons on the tuner they would have to go unused i think as the SB 3 has no buttons does it?

Heres a mock-up of what i could possibly create in the near future...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5453/tunerr.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/tunerr.jpg/)

The part under the round dial will be the headphone socket, don,t want it at the back, will decide if its possible to route it to the front at a later date.

All original button markings will be gone, if anyone knows hoto remove the writing etc without damaging the front panel?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

PS the SB 3 will be connecting to a SB touch via wi-fi for streaming music, this is possible isn't it to use the touch as the server? thanks again.

Adam.

Ali Tait
12-02-2011, 23:48
Nick (lurcher) has done similar with a SB3 I think.

UV101
13-02-2011, 08:32
That looks like a great idea! Are you actively looking for s donor unit? I'm going to give it a go too. Do you know the dimensions of the display on the tuner?

biggzy
13-02-2011, 08:54
That looks like a great idea! Are you actively looking for s donor unit? I'm going to give it a go too. Do you know the dimensions of the display on the tuner?

Hi, im really not sure of the display size of the tuner, or the SB display for that matter, the overall tuner size is 21.5cm, so i would imagine the display to be around 13cm, hope its not too small otherwise its back to the drawing board, maybe its possible to remove the tuning dial and cut the metal front to size so its bigger if needed, im sure its not to hard to cut neat and add a new display to it.

Adam.

UV101
13-02-2011, 09:04
I've just done a few calculations based on the external dimensions of the unit and I estimate the display to be 120mm x 30mm.I enlarged a picture until its external dimensions were correct then just measured the display window!! The visible area on the SB is 145mm x 20mm which I've just take by measuring my SB.

I'd say it would be a nightmare trying to enlarge that window. I'd say look out for something with a bigger window unfortunately.

biggzy
13-02-2011, 09:13
I've just done a few calculations based on the external dimensions of the unit and I estimate the display to be 120mm x 30mm.I enlarged a picture until its external dimensions were correct then just measured the display window!! The visible area on the SB is 145mm x 20mm which I've just take by measuring my SB.

I'd say it would be a nightmare trying to enlarge that window. I'd say look out for something with a bigger window unfortunately.

Thanks for doing some calculations, its a shame it don't fit, im still gonna try lol, however i will look for other cases too, but really wanted it to match the teac.

Regards,
Adam.

biggzy
13-02-2011, 09:54
Maybe if i just remove the dial and cut the part out between original display and dial to get it to look like this...

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6108/teacsqueezebox.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/teacsqueezebox.jpg/)

That should give the SB display enough room to fit, the hardest part i think would be getting a bit of smoked plastic cut to fit perfect into the new display cutting, but im sure it will be possible with time and effort..... i hope.

Adam.

Techno Commander
13-02-2011, 12:03
Interesting idea. Celulose thinners would be my first choice for removing any wrining on the front panel. However, if the panel is laquered, it will also remove that as well.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-02-2011, 12:26
Wouldn't it be easier to make a new front panel to suit the squeezebox screen
You also then skirt the problem of having to get rid of printed on text, and the problem of rudundant buttons

biggzy
13-02-2011, 12:59
Wouldn't it be easier to make a new front panel to suit the squeezebox screen
You also then skirt the problem of having to get rid of printed on text, and the problem of rudundant buttons

This is a good idea but not sure if i could find a panel the same color (champagne gold) or am i being far too picky here?

Adam.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-02-2011, 13:09
I think it depends on your metal work skills
Cutting the hole bigger etc might end up looking a lot messier than a slightly different colour metal ... Especially with the fact you wouldn't have all the redundant buttons ... I dunno ... How hard is it to get a bit of metal cut to shape? And how hard is it to get a bit of metal in the right colour ... I have no idea ... But finding the answers to those questions would be a good start I'd say ...

I do like these little projects people come up with ... I often have similar ideas ... Just never follow through with em ...

UV101
13-02-2011, 14:08
I think its possibly worth looking for something else more suited.

Those tuner's do look like worthy donor cases for a couple of DAC's I've built tho! :eyebrows:

biggzy
13-02-2011, 14:12
I think its possibly worth looking for something else more suited.

Those tuner's do look like worthy donor cases for a couple of DAC's I've built tho! :eyebrows:

There worthy for anything lol as they go for around £10 on ebay for the AM/FM version, the DAB versions do fetch more.

I will have a look around for a new metal front panel if i can't do anything with the tuner, i dont mind having some unused buttons etc, for £10 i think its worth a try.

Adam.

Techno Commander
13-02-2011, 15:21
It would probably cost more than a tenner to buy a piece of ally sheet for a new panel.

UV101
13-02-2011, 22:51
Some of the Technics ones might be better for this.

I just got myself a 99p bargain tuner!!!!

http://super-audio2.nazwa.pl/allegro/technics/sc-hdv600m2/sc-hdv600_10.jpg

The display looks to be a bit bigger but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll definitely be looking out for some of these tuner cases for project work. Never thought of it before......Great call thanks!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

The Vinyl Adventure
13-02-2011, 23:03
I think those technics are plastic ...?
Unless I'm thinking of a different range ... ?

UV101
13-02-2011, 23:19
I think those technics are plastic ...?
Unless I'm thinking of a different range ... ?

:wah:

hopefully not. but we'll see!:lolsign:

biggzy
14-02-2011, 07:37
The Technics are nice, and yes there plastic, but they do look metal.

Might be worth a try, not sure of the width of these units.

Adam.

biggzy
21-03-2011, 13:39
I have give up on this idea as i will get the touch instead, i did get a T-H300 tuner but put it back on ebay for £10.

Adam.

biggzy
01-04-2011, 18:48
Maybe i should rethink and still do this so it will match the power amp im building...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7707/10232234.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/10232234.jpg/)

I must say they look great together.

Adam.