PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with static

Epicurus
10-02-2011, 12:05
OK, so I'm having issues with static. When I lift my records off the Techie's mat after playing them, I hear the oh-so-lovely noises of static and, as expected, I see the flipside (the one that was touching the mat) full of dust, lint and other not-so-nice stuff.

The deck's earth lead is connected to the phono preamp's earth. The other appliances in my system aren't.

What should I do? Look at the earthing? Or look for a better mat, such as the Funk Achromat 1200?

MCRU
10-02-2011, 12:36
Hi,
The Furutech SK2 will solve the problem, if it doesn't send it back and I will pay the postage.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1184490-Furutech-SK2-Electrostatic-Brush.html

It may seem expensive but it is not when you consider it actually prolongs the life of your records.

marco the owner of AOS will give you an endorsement of how good it is.

Marco
10-02-2011, 12:50
Indeed. Once you've got over justifying the cost and bought one, the Furutech more than redeems itself, as it were, by its sheer effectiveness at totally curing the age-old problem of static on records! :)

Jeez, the bloody thing even works on CDs!! :eek:

This review reflects my own experiences with the SK2: http://www.furutech.com/a2008/reviewc.asp?r1_no=124&r2_no=476

Marco.

Epicurus
10-02-2011, 15:06
Sounds good, but not for this particular month, as I've got some VERY pressing expenses to attend to.

synsei
11-02-2011, 00:41
I notice the fibres are sourced from a particularly rare type of Goat. Would that be the famous and enormous Mutant Star Goat from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? :lol:

Is there a cheaper alternative available from the far east maybe, because as good as I'm sure the Furutech is, I can not justify spending £105 on a brush... :stalks:

Marco
11-02-2011, 00:43
What about that brush you bought from the chemist for your crabs? That cost you plenty! :lol:

Marco.

synsei
11-02-2011, 00:48
Cheeky!!!! :lol:

Took me ages to get there, had to side-step for three and a half miles... :eyebrows: :lol:

zaidstone
11-02-2011, 01:33
Hi,
The Furutech SK2 will solve the problem, if it doesn't send it back and I will pay the postage.

It may seem expensive but it is not when you consider it actually prolongs the life of your records.

I'm very interested in this solution. I managed to quell the bulk of static issues on my vinyl by professional deep wet cleaning (Oo-er Missus) and re-sleeving using Nagaoka inners but I'm still left with some static problems.

Are you suggesting that the SK2 is a virtually complete answer or am I reading too much into your post? Please understand I'm not trying to be a smart*rs* - I just want to get as close to static free LP replay as technically possible. If the brush moves me appreciably closer to that goal it would be cheap at twice the price.

I currently use a DECCA style brush but suspect that carbon bristles are at best only mildly effective and at worst may aggravate the problem.

Being the kind of bloke who never returns anything (I see that as an admission of sloppy research) it would be a steep financial outlay only to discover the Furutech is good, but not insanely great at its job.

I tell you what; after over fifty years of chasing perfect sound reproduction I'm happy that vinyl is the last analogue source I'm straddled with on quality grounds. If I still had to deal with the others I would have lost it completely!

Alex_UK
11-02-2011, 07:54
I'm very interested in this solution. I managed to quell the bulk of static issues on my vinyl by professional deep wet cleaning (Oo-er Missus) and re-sleeving using Nagaoka inners but I'm still left with some static problems.

Are you suggesting that the SK2 is a virtually complete answer or am I reading too much into your post? Please understand I'm not trying to be a smart*rs* - I just want to get as close to static free LP replay as technically possible. If the brush moves me appreciably closer to that goal it would be cheap at twice the price.

I currently use a DECCA style brush but suspect that carbon bristles are at best only mildly effective and at worst may aggravate the problem.

Being the kind of bloke who never returns anything (I see that as an admission of sloppy research) it would be a steep financial outlay only to discover the Furutech is good, but not insanely great at its job.

I tell you what; after over fifty years of chasing perfect sound reproduction I'm happy that vinyl is the last analogue source I'm straddled with on quality grounds. If I still had to deal with the others I would have lost it completely!

What a great post zaidstone - (would you mind updating your "User CP" details with your first name sometime please?) - the problem these days is we focus so much on price and not on value. I immediately grimaced at the thought of spending £105 on a brush, but if it does what it says on the bristles, then divided amongst the amount of media you have, and (hopefully) the many years of use you will get it becomes a paltry sum in reality.

So why haven't I ordered one yet? Well, not because I don't believe Marco - but in Marco's situation, he is using one (as you would be) in addition to clean records. I wonder how effective the brush would be on its own, to replace the Decca brush I too use, (and also suspect exacerbates static rather than solving it)? For instance, new vinyl, played a few times, now crackles and pops like a bowl of rice crispies - if this brush will eliminate or vastly reduce that, then definitely worth the expenditure. So as you have suggested the £105 question is, will it?

The Grand Wazoo
11-02-2011, 07:58
Zaidstone
Would you mind going over to the Welcome section and introducing yourself please mate, that's expected of new members. Tell us about yourself, your system and your taste in music. That way, there'll be a very warm welcome to you.
Thanks

Tea24
11-02-2011, 09:32
I live in a very dusty house ( 2 dogs, wife, loads a books etc.) and I use a Goldring Super Exstatic. In fact I have used this type of brush for about 25 years now and have two; one for 33 & the other for 45/78s. The first brush of this type was called the Hunt E.D.A. Mk 6.

Now I am not vaunting this brush's particular anti-static properties but I have no problems with static at all - I just use the brush each time I play. My discs have all been wet cleaned at some time.

At somewhere between £12 & £18 depending on where you buy it might be a cheaper alternative. I have no affiliation to the makers & give no guarantee, but it seems to work OK for me. In fact static has never been a problem for me and if I do get a record with sticky dust I just rewash it.

MCRU
11-02-2011, 09:49
I have used the Furutech for a few months and it does exactly what it says on the tin, no static whatsoever, gone.

I seem to be a target these days for doubters who think I am just here to sell expensive products and begrudge me trying to make a living from selling cables etc, etc,. Thankfully not on here thank god but definitely on other forums, what's wrong with people!

I have over 2000 records and anything that helps to make them last longer is a no brainer in my book, £105 for a brush, hell £2500 for a record cleaning machine, £1500 for a cartridge, it's all the same principal, if it floats your boat, go for it.

Epicurus
11-02-2011, 10:01
From what I gather, it appears that anti-static brushes offer the best possible results when used in conjunction with proper record cleaning; seeing that a worryingly large portion of the record collection my parents gave me (to free up shelf space mostly) is in rather poor condition, I guess I'll have to purchase a record cleaning machine first and then enhance its functionality with the Furutech brush and other such supportive measures.

Vinyleyes
11-02-2011, 14:18
I do not seem to have a big snap crackle and pop issue when I am playing records ... BUT .. every time I lift an LP off the deck after the side has finished I get a one time almighty pop or crack through the speakers ... What is this .. is it a static build up or something that releases when the LP parts company with the TT mat ,, which is a cork something or other that was NOT cheap .. :)

MCRU
11-02-2011, 15:05
Brian,
Don't know how many times I have to say it before anyone takes notice, the brush gets rid of all the snap crackle and pop. Nothing to do with the mat buddy.

Vinyleyes
11-02-2011, 15:25
Brian,
Don't know how many times I have to say it before anyone takes notice, the brush gets rid of all the snap crackle and pop. Nothing to do with the mat buddy.

OK David ... I am gonna take you up on this .. :) .. PM sent ........ :cool:

Epicurus
11-02-2011, 15:33
In the meantime, I'll have to save a whole month's salary for a record cleaning machine and a package of proper sleeves. I can't even begin to describe what I saw in my parents' collection.

JazzBones
11-02-2011, 15:51
From what I gather, it appears that anti-static brushes offer the best possible results when used in conjunction with proper record cleaning; seeing that a worryingly large portion of the record collection my parents gave me (to free up shelf space mostly) is in rather poor condition, I guess I'll have to purchase a record cleaning machine first and then enhance its functionality with the Furutech brush and other such supportive measures.

May I suggest that you get yourself a really good wet and vac record cleaning machine first, I use a Moth Pro... very noisy(!!) but it does the job. I have three goat fine hair brushes for cleaning records, one is by Loricraft that he called Garrard not available anymore and two marvellous goat hair brushes bought from a closing down sale of an artist shop. The Loricraft cost £15.00 and the artist brushes £3.75 each they are so very easy to use, do an excellent job that I don't bother with my Zerostat gun anymore... maybe my body acts as an earth conduit? I have not tried the Furatec brush but would like to know what the unit manufacturing cost is, wonder if anyone will tell me? ;) Also what the mark up is? I am fully aware that the manufacturer and retailer have to cover costs and make a living, okay? £105.00 will buy me a few more LPs to listen to and that is more important to me than the odd click which I don't really encounter... lucky me ;)

At the end of the day its your money and your decision how you spend it and no one has the right to tell you overwise.

Ron :cocktail:

colinB
11-02-2011, 15:53
Ive had this problem for a while and its only with new re issues, especially direct metal masters.
Record cleaning works for a while but the problem comes back.
Using a brush can put static into the record as a i have found. I think the only designs that would work are the type with an earthing strap or the cleverly designed furutech that uses your body as earth.
Anti stat guns didnt work for me.

Alex_UK
11-02-2011, 16:04
OK David ... I am gonna take you up on this .. :) .. PM sent ........ :cool:

Me too. :)

Epicurus
11-02-2011, 17:42
May I suggest that you get yourself a really good wet and vac record cleaning machine first, I use a Moth Pro... very noisy(!!) but it does the job.

I don't mind noise; I'll set it up in my basement, which'll also become my home studio.

volks
13-02-2011, 15:10
I used an hairdryer that emit ion ... this get rid of the static ...

The ion hairdryer susposes to get rid of static on long hair ... hence it does wonders on reccords too.:)

MCRU
13-02-2011, 15:44
The Furutech brush is primarily a STATIC remover, not a cleaner so it is used after your records have been cleaned, its been pointed out before that a fine brush like the cheapo ones push dirt back into the grooves so do more harm than good.

JazzBones
13-02-2011, 16:09
I used an hairdryer that emit ion ... this get rid of the static ...

The ion hairdryer susposes to get rid of static on long hair ... hence it does wonders on reccords too.:)

G'day Gilbert, you've just given me the idea of getting one, whats the brand name and how much? Besides the wife can have a share, on second considerations no she can't, all that loose blonde hair all over the place:eyebrows:

I remember awhile back I had wall to wall nylon content carpeting and that always triggered static. I got a small section 6" of copper 22mm plumbing pipe, soldered a wire onto this and the other end to structural metal and then use to hold the copper whilst giving the record a dust with the brush... I looked a complete dingaling but it helped a little.

Now peeps, you may think this a little OTT but on my dirtier LPs I use a hand held steam cleaning device and quickly and very carefully give the LP a quick and careful blast, not too near and then proceed with the normal wet and vac cleaning process. Note: I would practice on sacrificial lps before attempting this on your good stuff... I won't take any responsibilty if you screw up :rolleyes:. To flatten records try using them, one at a time, between two pieces of 10mm glass, or two Rega glass platters plus spindle would be better. A professional record flatner (?) costs circa UK1,000.00!!!!!!

I'm not knocking the Furatek brush and doubting what it does and says on the packaging what I am questioning is the retail sale price.... No brush of that nature is worth £105.00 especially as its life expectancy is an unkown? The unfortunate spin off in this hobby is the after market bits and pieces that come into being promising wonder enhancements, they come, they go.... placebo affect? I shall repeat myself, how much is the unit manufacturing cost and how much is the mark up after overheads have been taken into account or is this a question too far?

Ron

MCRU
13-02-2011, 19:03
Lets take a look at Furutech for a minute then, in answer to your question about the price. The gear is made in Japan, how does it get here, it is imported by the UK distributor, he then sells it to a network of UK dealers. These dealers are a mixture of box shifters who care little about the product they just see it as an addition to their product range that has a good market share and image and want to shift it and there are the dealers who promote it at every given opportunity, use it themselves and genuinely like the product range.

The distributer has to arrange importation of the items, pay the relevant duty etc, etc, etc and generally carry masses of stock to meet demand, and with Furutech it is masses of stock.

The dealer is also expected to carry plenty of stock, hell if you ordered a mains cord RRP £1500 you would want it now not have to wait while he orders it in from Japan!

The stock costs money, a considerable amount, most dealers have shops, staff, pay rates etc, etc etc .

All this is forgotten or ignored by the man on the street, he just googles for the best price, luckily the example I have given, Furutech, the prices are closeley monitored and we all sell at RRP, margins are set and none of us will become millionaires selling this stuff, but after all the effort we all put in the margins are fair, if you begrudge someone earning a living from selling cables and accessories think about your last car, did you pay the dealers margins on it?

colinB
13-02-2011, 19:24
I dont think we should think of retail value as just cost of materials.
More importantly there is cost for design, otherwise we would be paying a tenner for a new ipod.
If it works ill have one. And as the seller is prepared to loan out the product to be sure you are happy, he obviously believes in the product and so should be given a bit more respect.

MCRU
13-02-2011, 20:03
I dont think we should think of retail value as just cost of materials.
More importantly there is cost for design, otherwise we would be paying a tenner for a new ipod.
If it works ill have one. And as the seller is prepared to loan out the product to be sure you are happy, he obviously believes in the product and so should be given a bit more respect.

:grouphug:

Alex_UK
13-02-2011, 20:14
No brush of that nature is worth £105.00 especially as its life expectancy is an unkown? The unfortunate spin off in this hobby is the after market bits and pieces that come into being promising wonder enhancements, they come, they go.... placebo affect?

I've ordered one Ron - if it gets rid of static on the 1,000 odd records I have, then it has cost me 10p per record - I'd say that's worth it, though I doubt I'll ever play my entire collection A-Z again but you get the idea! In truth, if it gets rid of the static on my top 50 or so records at £2 a pop (pun intended!) then it will be money well spent, as static drives me up the wall! (To the point I've all but stopped playing vinyl recently.)

I cannot possibly see how placebo affect can have anything to do with the claims for this product - both David and Marco have stated that it completely removes static - you don't suggest that because I've spent all that money on a brush that my brain will simply blot out the noise, do you?! ;)

And if I don't genuinely get a massive improvement with this, then David is happy for people to return them - so I'm not sure I have anything to lose...

I do find it strange that people are getting upset about paying £100 for a brush, but don't quibble spending £100 on a mat, a weight or feet etc. etc. - I guess a brush just isn't sexy enough! Me, I just want to get rid of the rice crispies!

JazzBones
14-02-2011, 00:22
I've ordered one Ron - if it gets rid of static on the 1,000 odd records I have, then it has cost me 10p per record - I'd say that's worth it, though I doubt I'll ever play my entire collection A-Z again but you get the idea! In truth, if it gets rid of the static on my top 50 or so records at £2 a pop (pun intended!) then it will be money well spent, as static drives me up the wall! (To the point I've all but stopped playing vinyl recently.)

I cannot possibly see how placebo affect can have anything to do with the claims for this product - both David and Marco have stated that it completely removes static - you don't suggest that because I've spent all that money on a brush that my brain will simply blot out the noise, do you?! ;) (No I don't say that...JB

And if I don't genuinely get a massive improvement with this, then David is happy for people to return them - so I'm not sure I have anything to lose...

I do find it strange that people are getting upset about paying £100 for a brush, but don't quibble spending £100 on a mat, a weight or feet etc. etc. - I guess a brush just isn't sexy enough! Me, I just want to get rid of the rice crispies!

If you all read carefully I have NOT DOUBTED that the brush does the job of removing static I have queried the RRP of £105.00 which I think is
excessive. I know that the product is manufactured in Japan and then imported to countries where there is interest. Okay forget the manufacture cost, what is the range of margin? I'm am not implying that fortunes will be made selling such a product I'm asking why the product is so expensive say 10% of what a good turntable will cost or if you like 33% of what I paid for my new 1210. Another area mentioned is platter mats, yes you can purchase a mat for UK£100.00 plus but how quickly these are surplanted by something new and better? First the Herbie mat, then the copper mat, then the Oyaide mat, and now the Blue Horizon mat on on it goes! I have various mats and one I use is a neoprene rubber, cork etc which cost me UK12.50p from Analogue Innovation, it looks identical to the BH base mat and you would be hard put to identify the culprit in a police line up and I'm sure it performs much the same. My Funk Acromat (a white one but does it matter) cost me under £40.00p sometime ago but its near double that now, surely costs have not gone up that much? Pricing is based on what the market will allow and what people are willing to pay, just look at eBay. As to justifying 'the brush' by dividing cost by the number of LPs to be zapped I don't hold with that, I mean if you look at the number of LPs Jimmy Hughes has, and I've personally seen his collection, the ones you can see that is, then Furatec would owe him money ;)

I am not asking anyone not to buy 'the brush', its their perogative and I have no desire to control their purse strings whatsoever. I will buy but not at UK£105.00p a pop! UK£25 to £30 maybe. If the dealer only makes a 2.1/2% margin or something like that then he/she is wasting time selling it.... come on now, don't be coy what is the margin on a product such as this? AS for weights and clamps, I'm using a Michell which cost me £39.00 which has perceived and evidence of good engineering and manufacture.

Guess I'm the bad guy for today :( but if everyone thought 'n' bought the same then AoS would be a dreary old forum would it not?

Ron :piano:

PS A mate informed me that people in Singapore are bitching about a hike in their GST (our VAT) going up from 5% to 7.5%..... they should be slapped with our 20% not alot an anti static do da could do about that, eh :eyebrows:

Barry
14-02-2011, 00:42
I have rarely been troubled with static. If you use good quality inner sleeves, remove the record with care, don't have nylon carpet and live in an environment having (typically) 50% humidity, you shouldn't be troubled either.

Most of the time my records are so clean and dust free that I don't bother 'dusting' them before I play them. If there is some dust, I use the Decca carbon fibre brush. There are (or were) two versions: one consisting of two rows of carbon fibre bristles; the other having one row of Kevlar (glass fibre) bristles and one row of carbon fibre bristles. Any flecks which fall onto the LP whilst it is being played can be removed using a large sable hair artist's paint brush.

I have never found the need to use an ionising gun. A bit like using a tape head de-fluxer; if you don't know what you are doing, they can create more static charge than they discharge!

A version of the Decca brush is still available: http://www.coolgales.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=341&category_id=76. At £7 vs. £105 I know which I would choose!

The Grand Wazoo
14-02-2011, 00:47
I'm the same Barry, I've hardly ever used my Zerostat gun - I bought it because I thought I might need it one day. The fact is that static has never been a problem to me - luck or fastidiousness, I'm not sure - maybe a bit of both.

volks
14-02-2011, 02:29
G'day Gilbert, you've just given me the idea of getting one, whats the brand name and how much? Besides the wife can have a share, on second considerations no she can't, all that loose blonde hair all over the place:eyebrows:

I remember awhile back I had wall to wall nylon content carpeting and that always triggered static. I got a small section 6" of copper 22mm plumbing pipe, soldered a wire onto this and the other end to structural metal and then use to hold the copper whilst giving the record a dust with the brush... I looked a complete dingaling but it helped a little.

Now peeps, you may think this a little OTT but on my dirtier LPs I use a hand held steam cleaning device and quickly and very carefully give the LP a quick and careful blast, not too near and then proceed with the normal wet and vac cleaning process. Note: I would practice on sacrificial lps before attempting this on your good stuff... I won't take any responsibilty if you screw up :rolleyes:. To flatten records try using them, one at a time, between two pieces of 10mm glass, or two Rega glass platters plus spindle would be better. A professional record flatner (?) costs circa UK1,000.00!!!!!!

I'm not knocking the Furatek brush and doubting what it does and says on the packaging what I am questioning is the retail sale price.... No brush of that nature is worth £105.00 especially as its life expectancy is an unkown? The unfortunate spin off in this hobby is the after market bits and pieces that come into being promising wonder enhancements, they come, they go.... placebo affect? I shall repeat myself, how much is the unit manufacturing cost and how much is the mark up after overheads have been taken into account or is this a question too far?

Ron

Hi Ron,

In my country , Singapore , they are rather cheap ..
I got myself a Philips Salonshine ion dryer ... lower version one is about 25pound..
I still have my carbon brush but the dryer do a better job ...
Dual usage , blow away any dust or paricles on the surface and clear static.
Hope you have fun.:)

Yiangos
14-02-2011, 05:37
Hi Epicurus

I believe the static build-up when you remove the disc from the platter is kinda normal.
What should bother you,is static while the record is playing.Wet cleaning helps but it is a temporary solution because once you store the lp in its sleeve and remove it afterwards for playing,the static will be there.Brushes help but no,they wont remove static.There is only one solution.An anti-static gun.You either buy a furutech or a Milty Zerostat.Personally,i'd suggest the zerostat.It is cheaper and easier to use.

MartinT
14-02-2011, 07:21
Don't forget anti-static inner sleeves. These should be your first port of call, put every one of your LPs inside one and your static problems will reduce dramatically.

David - Marco is bringing along his Furutech brush this Saturday so I shall give it a good evaluation.

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/images/uploads/products/nagaoka/nagaoka_sleeves_102.jpg

MCRU
14-02-2011, 09:02
Don't forget anti-static inner sleeves. These should be your first port of call, put every one of your LPs inside one and your static problems will reduce dramatically.

David - Marco is bringing along his Furutech brush this Saturday so I shall give it a good evaluation.

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/images/uploads/products/nagaoka/nagaoka_sleeves_102.jpg

oh yes sleeves, mo-fi are the best IMHO. make sure del has not been using the brush first....oooo errrr missus

MCRU
14-02-2011, 09:18
From the company that brought you the £105 anti-static brush, I am pleased to present the ultimate value for money accessory for the vinyl enthusiast:-

THE FURUTECH LP FLATTENER £1775 DELIVERED

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/furutechlpflattener.jpg

Ultimate Performance • Ultimate Refinement • Ultimate Luxury
Every vinyl enthusiast has records in their collection, or come across LPs they’d love to own, but were just too warped for any cartridge/arm to track. The DF-2 the one-stop, one-button solution to your problems! The DF-2 provides controlled-heat perfect flattening for all your warped records, even those with only slight irregularities just enough to unsettle your cartridge and cause mistracking.

Warps And Listening
Warps are bad news no matter how you look at it. If the arm/cartridge remains parallel to the LP’s surface as with a flat record, VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) remains unchanged throughout every rotation. Additionally, as the arm/cartridge tracks a warp on its upside, it places greater pressure on the stylus which changes VTF (Vertical Tracking Force) until the peak of the warp, whereupon the cartridge becomes “unloaded” with too little VTF on the way down.

Of course, all this muddles the sound, changing the tonal quality, imaging and soundstage characteristics of the cartridge. A flat record also tracks better with less distortion.

The DF-2 doesn’t take up much room with its space-saving, vertical storage design. Improved film heating technology optimizes the entire heating and cooling cycle for a perfectly flat LP that your cartridge – and you – will love! Just lay the DF-2 flat, open and place the LP on the guides, close and tap a single button! An LCD keeps you informed of progress with a tone sounding when done.

The DF-2 is an upgraded version of the original DFV-1.

“Furutech applies scientific methodologies, perfectly sane engineering and pretty
fanatical execution to all of its products.”
-- Srajan Ebaen, 6moons.com

“… After a session with the DFV-1, it was flat”
“… I found the DFV-1 Disc Flattener effective for banishing warps from LPs”
-- Michael Fremer, Stereophile October 2007

“…The Furutech DFV-1 performed exactly as advertised and I can say that I wouldn‘t change a thing about it”
-- John Potis, 6moons October 2007

“…The DFV-1 flattened any warped LP I threw at, no matter the weight or warping, and did so without damaging the LP in any way I could see or hear”
-- John Crossett, Soundstage September 2007
Rating 115V±10% AC Line 2A fuse
European model 230V±10% AC Line 2A fuse
Energy Consumption 100W (max) 25W (Norm)
Heating plate maximum temp. 65Ž
Size: 445mm/17” W x 117mm/20” H x 547mm/7” D • Weight: 11kg/20lbs approx.
Safe Usage Environment:
Humidity 20% - 90% (No condensation)
Temperature: 5C/41F – 35C/95F

IMPORTANT:
The following LPs should not be treated in the DF-2:
1) LPs weighing less than 110g
2) Light LPs that were manufactured between 1973-74 (Oil crisis) weights range from 100g to 115g.

MCRU
14-02-2011, 09:20
Hi Epicurus

I believe the static build-up when you remove the disc from the platter is kinda normal.
What should bother you,is static while the record is playing.Wet cleaning helps but it is a temporary solution because once you store the lp in its sleeve and remove it afterwards for playing,the static will be there.Brushes help but no,they wont remove static.There is only one solution.An anti-static gun.You either buy a furutech or a Milty Zerostat.Personally,i'd suggest the zerostat.It is cheaper and easier to use.

What can possibly be any easier to use than a brush man? Even a 5 year old could brush a record, wouldn't want him/her holding a gun though...:)

Alex_UK
14-02-2011, 09:27
Guess I'm the bad guy for today :( but if everyone thought 'n' bought the same then AoS would be a dreary old forum would it not?

I wasn't meaning to be confrontational Ron, so apologies if it came across that way - I still can't believe I've spent over a ton on a brush either, but in my head if it does solve the problem I'll be a happy bunny. If not, I'm sure the missus can use it for her blusher - she'll certainly need it if she finds out the cost - she'll be white as a sheet! :lol:

As far as margins go, I have no idea what it would be but if it is something like 30-40% I wouldn't be surprised or begrudge it, "a man's gotta eat." :)

MCRU
14-02-2011, 10:46
I wasn't meaning to be confrontational Ron, so apologies if it came across that way - I still can't believe I've spent over a ton on a brush either, but in my head if it does solve the problem I'll be a happy bunny. If not, I'm sure the missus can use it for her blusher - she'll certainly need it if she finds out the cost - she'll be white as a sheet! :lol:

As far as margins go, I have no idea what it would be but if it is something like 30-40% I wouldn't be surprised or begrudge it, "a man's gotta eat." :)

Anyway its not £105 guys as you all have your special AOS discount code don't you? Buy the brush and the LP flattener today while stocks last...:)

colinB
14-02-2011, 10:57
I have a vacum record cleaner and anti stat sleeves but after a while the treated records start to play up again and its not pleasant when your listening to a nice piece of music and you get a shotgun through your speakers.

To be honest if i cant solve this then im giving up on vinyl.

And a £40 michell TT weight is not a good example of pricing structure when they sell models for £300 as well. :ner:

Clive
14-02-2011, 11:07
I don't have any static problems at all. Colin, what's in your environment causing static? There must be something.

MCRU
14-02-2011, 11:10
Rubbing a piece of plastic against another piece of plastic (record and sleeve) causes friction and although I am not an engineer in tribology I would guess that is where the static comes from?

Clive
14-02-2011, 11:13
Rubbing a piece of plastic against another piece of plastic (record and sleeve) causes friction and although I am not an engineer in tribology I would guess that is where the static comes from?
But......most plastic sleeves are anti-static, the other solution is to use paper is the sleeves are the cause. Maybe there's a nylon carpet involved?

MCRU
14-02-2011, 11:21
When I pull a record from out of the mo-fi sleeves I get a pop in the speakers, I have tiled flooring in my listening room. Strange phenomenon.

JazzBones
14-02-2011, 11:50
:lol:

No worries Alex, I did not take it as being confrontational at all just like you would debate and argue as mates do at a pub feist :glug: right?

I still wouldn't pay 105 quid for something that looks like Hitler's moustache on a stick, mind you that could fetch big bucks on the Bay? :lol:

Martin T, I say again that I do not have doubts the brush will do the job, if it can also extract the winning digits on the Lotto then count me in as a grateful customer. Seriously, your overall findings are awaited with interest.

Now, away with me :door:

Ron

colinB
14-02-2011, 12:08
I don't have any static problems at all. Colin, what's in your environment causing static? There must be something.

I live in a basement flat that is very dry. If i have to put on the heating for a prolonged amount of time it gets particularly bad.

freem
14-02-2011, 12:11
This may sound a little odd but check the humidity in the room.
During the long cold spell I was getting abnormal static problems both taking off LP's and touching equipment. I found that humidity readings were low so bought a cheep humidifier from Argos.
Seems to have solved the problem.

Marco
14-02-2011, 12:11
From the company that brought you the £105 anti-static brush, I am pleased to present the ultimate value for money accessory for the vinyl enthusiast:-

THE FURUTECH LP FLATTENER £1775 DELIVERED

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/furutechlpflattener.jpg

I'll be treating myself to one of those later this year, perhaps as a Christmas present to me (although Del will most likely chip in) :)

It f*cks me off big time that bloody lazy-arse record companies can't produce new vinyl that's perfectly flat!

It's simply sheer carelessness and crap quality control, due to the fact that they no longer give a shit since the bulk of their target customers are less discerning these days, so the Furutech will solve that issue nicely.

Returning to the SK2 brush, when I saw how much it cost, my first reaction was to say "£105 for a freakin' brush? Yer havin' a larf, right?"

*But* I then done some research on the product and thought to myself *if* it actually works and solves the issue of static present on records, then it'll be a bargain, considering that I have thousands of records, and play some of them every day....

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating (or in this case using), and trust me, the bloody thing does actually work extremely well, and removes any static present on records after they're removed from sleeves!

This appears also to have a knock-on effect on sound quality, due to the reduction in surface noise present during playback, allowing fine detail in recordings, previously clouded or masked by a higher noise floor, to come flooding through.

Having now become used to the effect, I couldn't live without it, and all it takes is a quick swipe of the brush, as the record is spinning on the platter, before playing it.

However, as has been said, the SK2 is no panacea for dirty records. It will remove light surface dust and provide an anti-static effect of sorts with unclean records, but its primary use is as a static-zapper once records have been thoroughly cleaned on an RCM and stored in anti-static sleeves - the final process in the chain to perfect vinyl replay, as it were.

No true vinyl enthusiast should be without one, so buy with confidence! :cool:

Marco.

Vinyleyes
14-02-2011, 12:14
I was playing "Goat's Hair Soup" the other day and my static just disappeared ............. remarkable ... :mental: .....

colinB
14-02-2011, 12:24
I'll be treating myself to one of those later this year, perhaps as a Christmas present to me (although Del will most likely chip in) :)

It f*cks me off big time that bloody lazy-arse record companies can't produce new vinyl that's perfectly flat!

It's simply sheer carelessness and crap quality control, due to the fact that they no longer give a shit since the bulk of their target customers are less discerning these days, so the Furutech will solve that issue nicely.

Returning to the SK2 brush, when I saw how much it cost, my first reaction was to say "£105 for a freakin' brush? Yer havin' a larf, right?"

*But* I then done some research on the product and thought to myself *if* it actually works and solves the issue of static present on records, then it'll be a bargain, considering that I have thousands of records and play them every day....

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating (or in this case using), and trust me, the bloody thing does actually work extremely well, and removes any static present on records after they're removed from sleeves!

This appears also to have a knock-on effect on sound quality, due to the reduction in surface noise present during playback, allowing fine detail in recordings, previously clouded or masked by a higher noise floor, to come flooding through.

Having now become used to the effect, I couldn't live without it, and all it takes is a quick swipe of the brush, as the record is spinning on the platter, before playing it.

However, as has been said, the SK2 is no panacea for dirty records. It will remove light surface dust and provide an anti-static effect of sorts with unclean records, but its primary use is as a static-zapper once records have been thoroughly cleaned on an RCM and stored in anti-static sleeves - the final process in the chain to perfect vinyl replay, as it were.

No true vinyl enthusiast should be without one, so buy with confidence! :cool:

Marco.

New vinyl from HMV and FLOPP is desgracefull sometimes. They dont store them properly and 80% of the time they are warped. The other thing is companies using cheap inner sleeves that scuff the vinyl:steam:
I took back a £20 vinyl that had a bad scratch on it and the following week i noticed HMV had put it back on the rack at a reduced price!
That would never happen 20 years back.

JazzBones
14-02-2011, 12:40
I was playing "Goat's Hair Soup" the other day and my static just disappeared ............. remarkable ... :mental: .....

:eek::lolsign:

Clive
14-02-2011, 12:45
I live in a basement flat that is very dry. If i have to put on the heating for a prolonged amount of time it gets particularly bad.
I suppose you've tried have a couple of bowls of water in the room or some other way to get humidity up.

colinB
14-02-2011, 12:49
No. I have been meaning to get a humidifier. :rolleyes:

MartinT
14-02-2011, 13:03
New vinyl from HMV

Blimey, which HMV? If I asked for vinyl in the Basingstoke branch, the numpties wouldn't even understand me.

Then again, 80% of the shop is devoted to films and games :steam:

MCRU
14-02-2011, 13:08
Blimey, which HMV? If I asked for vinyl in the Basingstoke branch, the numpties wouldn't even understand me.

Same here, they have some in the Leeds store but mostly 12" dance singles and I have 2000+ of those already!

colinB
14-02-2011, 13:22

I live in central London Martin, im spoilt for choice here. Three HMV s all with vinyl ( Trocadero has a huge selection )

flapland
14-02-2011, 14:18
I live in central London Martin, im spoilt for choice here. Three HMV s all with vinyl ( Trocadero has a huge selection )

Oh you have done it now, I will have to pop in on the way home tomorrow and on via Berwick Street. Not sure why Trocadero has more stock than the big Oxford St branch.

colinB
14-02-2011, 14:49
I much prefer shoppin in Sister Ray on Berwick st but you need a lot of time on your hands to have a proper dig in there. Great shop though, bet it hasnt changed from 20 years back.

MartinT
14-02-2011, 17:35
Thanks for that, Colin. I'll have a browse the next time I'm in London.