PDA

View Full Version : Western Electric 300B

selfaddict
05-02-2011, 14:26
I think my hifi gear is ready for this :scratch:.

I have been talking with Tom from Art Audio couple of times about my Diavolo and especially about the valves he prefers. He has always told me that Diavolo has been designed around Western electric 300B valves. I finally reckon my system is that "good" and has reached the point that I could get the best from the Western Electric 300B's.

It is just the price :doh: and the availability. New ones from the factory comes with 5 year warranty, so if one calculates the price per year, it wont be that bad actually. I have been running the Diavolo with TJ Full Music 300B mesh plates and Shuguang Black 300B Treasures and am really satisfied what they are offering. BUT would the Western Electric 300B be league of their own? I have read a lot of, I mean everything available, regarding these valves and without few exceptions the reviews are positive.

Anyone, any personal experiences, please?

lurcher
05-02-2011, 16:26
I can't comment on the new production WE 300b, but I can say in the right amp a NOS 300a produces one of the most glorious sounds I have heard.

Ali Tait
05-02-2011, 17:40
Yes, I'll second that, they are amazing. Amazing price though, and that's if you can find any.

selfaddict
05-02-2011, 17:54
I can't comment on the new production WE 300b, but I can say in the right amp a NOS 300a produces one of the most glorious sounds I have heard.

Hi Nick.

This is the question what I have been trying to find out as well: Is there a difference between the NOS and new production 300B's. I have read that the new ones are/were done with same machinery as the old valves, but that really doesn't mean that they are as good.

Is there any way of knowing which ones are new production and which ones are old ones? Is there a year of manufacture when the new valves came back to the market from Western Electric?

Giant Haystacks
05-02-2011, 19:01
hi the hifi dealer in dublin cloney audio was selling a wavec 300b with engraved base we 300b and it also had a spare set of new old stock engraved base western electric 300b i dont know if it was sold maybe the n.o.s set could be sold seperately . afew years back with an arion 300b we experimented with jj ,cetron, kron, and western electric 300b output valves
maybe ask graham tricker about diffarences as he would be farmiliar with both
maybe a cheaper option your amp maybe able to be converted to type 50 which were also used in the w.e cinema amps available in western electric ,sylvania ,rca, in standard coke bottle shape and globe shape
there is a japanese hifi dealer who had the biggest stock of western electric 300b im not sure of his name but he goes to the uk vintage hifi fairs .i did hear his name but it was unusual
i have experimented with a lot of the triode valves i reciently picked up a 4v telefunkten re604 so il try to get another i also have px4 valves which are also 4v most of the px4 were marconi-osram.so lots of experimenting .
there is a really rare valve on e bay at the moment a metal body type 45 triode on e bay usa ce co 45 should find it
good luck with your amp

SPS
05-02-2011, 19:38
Hi Nick.

This is the question what I have been trying to find out as well: Is there a difference between the NOS and new production 300B's. I have read that the new ones are/were done with same machinery as the old valves, but that really doesn't mean that they are as good.

Is there any way of knowing which ones are new production and which ones are old ones? Is there a year of manufacture when the new valves came back to the market from Western Electric?

the same machinery is not the same as the same metoligy and skills in manufacture...

if they where the same no one would pay the higher prices for the old ones

the 300a's that nick and ali heard are mine.. in nicks very nice 300b amp
they are old STC made in painton, devon. STC the british arm of WE

i dont think i've heard modern we 300b valves, but i doubt if the do what the old ones do.. and posts that i've read seem to back that up

one of the lads on wig wam said he used a pair for years, one broke and he still got £750 for the other...

my everyday vaves are px4 and px25, the older they are the better they sound in my opinion.. its not down to age,being 55 or 65 years old is not going to make the differences i hear betwwen the different types

one day i'll build my 'ulimate' amp .. it will use those 300a's and the old STC /we (4)274a recifiers i have... the prices they go for they must do something special...if its on the line of what the 300a do...well !!!

its a pity your so far away.. i wouldn't of minded you bringing your amp around to try them.. a few folks have

cheers
steve

selfaddict
05-02-2011, 20:28
one day i'll build my 'ulimate' amp .. it will use those 300a's and the old STC /we (4)274a recifiers i have... the prices they go for they must do something special...if its on the line of what the 300a do...well !!!

That amplifier I would really like to hear. Western Electric 274A rectifiers are rare and priced accordingly :stalks:. Them with old Western Electric 300B's in a right amplifier would be magical, without a doubt :respect:

its a pity your so far away.. i wouldn't of minded you bringing your amp around to try them.. a few folks have

cheers
steve

You are a true gent. I am sure I would enjoy that tremendously. As you said it is the distance :(.