PDA

View Full Version : Toslink to Async USB (Maybe)

jantheman
04-02-2011, 11:58
I'm currently using the Toslink O/P from my 2010 MacMini into a Moon 300D Dac. I am considering using an Async USB converter, something like the new MF V-Link, and then going into the DAC with either Toslink or Coax. I am aware of the other higher priced Async converters available but dont want to spend too much on a converter. (thats why I am thinking of the V-Link). I had a HiFace but didnt like it.

My question is simple although subjective, am I likely to experience a better quality playback by going down this route or is the Toslink out of the MacMini doing all thats required.
How good is the Toslink O/P from a MacMini?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

WAD62
04-02-2011, 12:02
I'm currently using the Toslink O/P from my 2010 MacMini into a Moon 300D Dac. I am considering using an Async USB converter, something like the new MF V-Link, and then going into the DAC with either Toslink or Coax. I am aware of the other higher priced Async converters available but dont want to spend too much on a converter. (thats why I am thinking of the V-Link). I had a HiFace but didnt like it.

My question is simple although subjective, am I likely to experience a better quality playback by going down this route or is the Toslink out of the MacMini doing all thats required.

Hi Ray,

Sorry I have no apple info...however

I'm interested in your comments about the hiface, as I was considering one for future use, what was it that you didn't like the sound quality? or was it something else? :)

jantheman
04-02-2011, 12:49
The HiFace is great at what it does. Never had a problem getting it to work etc etc. However, in my system it just didnt gel. To me it just sounded harsh, too upfront. All subjective and system dependant I know but until you give these things a go, you just dont know.
If you are thinking of a Hiface, I'd say get one and try it, if you like it, great, if you dont put it on fleabay, they fetch a good price so you wont lose much. As it happens, mine is on there at the moment.

WAD62
04-02-2011, 12:56
The HiFace is great at what it does. Never had a problem getting it to work etc etc. However, in my system it just didnt gel. To me it just sounded harsh, too upfront. All subjective and system dependant I know but until you give these things a go, you just dont know.
If you are thinking of a Hiface, I'd say get one and try it, if you like it, great, if you dont put it on fleabay, they fetch a good price so you wont lose much. As it happens, mine is on there at the moment.

Cheers for the feedback Ray, I'm still in the planning phase at the moment...:)

roob
04-02-2011, 13:52
From what I have read the optical out from a Macbook is poor so the Mini could be the same, I would go for an async converter with coax. I use a John Kenny hiface its much better than the digi out on my MB.

lovejoy
04-02-2011, 13:52

I think this may depend on the vintage i.e. chipset your Mac Mini is using. I've had 3 Macs - A mini, a Macbook Pro and an imac but all were around the 2007 era and all have truly dreadful Toslink O/P. Using the same optical cable my £20 DVD player did an infinitely better job going into my DAC.

I've not been able to do direct A/B comparisons but I have a friend who has a newer Macbook from about a year ago and I think the Toslink does sound better, but I can't be 100% sure.

The problems have gone away since getting a DAC with an Async USB input, which is also good because the 3.5mm connector that I was connecting the optical cable to was starting to become unreliable - a common problem apparently.

jantheman
04-02-2011, 14:28
My Mini is 2010. Only a couple of weeks old. I have posted on here about the benefits / differences of Mac vs PC and really couldnt decide between the two. However, my bankers bonus came through and I thought, what the hell, gotta give it a go. This is my first Mac of any sort so I dont have a reference. I will say that the Mac / itunes / toslink combo sounds as good as my pc / asus xonar (s/pdif coax) / J River (wasapi event style).
Those are the only references I have so I'm shooting in the dark a little.
I am happy with the Mac / Toslink O/P but as always we all want to squeeze a bit more out, thats why I was considering the V-Link.
I may just get a better Toslink cable with a 3.5mm plug on the end instead of using the crappy adapter on the end of the decent glass Mark Grant optical cable I'm using at the moment.
Oh yes...bankers bonus.....if only.

roob
04-02-2011, 17:54
Not to many glass toslink>mini around at an affordable price
These are reasonable
http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html