PDA

View Full Version : So many turntables so little time!

MCRU
03-02-2011, 22:29
I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me), I now have a Garrard 401 which almost looks brand new and is now in a new MDF plinth. The Michell technoarm is working well, the 401 plinth has a cut out for an SME arm and I got another board for a Rega as well.

I have a 309 lined up but the deal is not certain and may fall through, what do I do as I want to use both TT's, I could put the 309 on the Garrard or put the 309 on the Techie and Technoarm on the 401, if the deal for the 309 falls through what can I put on the 401?

Serious consideration has to be given, I was getting a Jelco until the owner started dithering and is now buying a house instead and maybe selling his Jelco later in the year now...:lol:

I also have an RB300 sat doing nothing and a Linn Basic.

Marco
03-02-2011, 23:17
Hi David,

I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me)

LOL - what are you like?

I'm afraid that quality engineering costs money, especially when it's coming from the other side of the world.....

No doubt you could justify someone buying a pair of Black Rhodium Cantata interconnects at £3800, though? :eyebrows: ;)

I have a 309 lined up but the deal is not certain and may fall through, what do I do as I want to use both TT's, I could put the 309 on the Garrard or put the 309 on the Techie and Technoarm on the 401, if the deal for the 309 falls through what can I put on the 401?

Presuming you get it, I'd put the 309 on the Techie and the Tecnoarm on the 401. From experience, that's likely to provide the best synergy.

Serious consideration has to be given, I was getting a Jelco until the owner started dithering and is now buying a house instead and maybe selling his Jelco later in the year now...:lol:

Indeed, and he never at any stage gave an exact date when he was selling his Jelco!

I also have an RB300 sat doing nothing and a Linn Basic.

I'd sell them both, as the other two arms you've got are better. What on earth made you buy a Linn Basik? It's shite.

Marco.

Alex_UK
03-02-2011, 23:24
What on earth made you buy a Linn Basik? It's shite

Marco, I know you're trying to be polite, but I wouldn't spare David's feelings, he's a big boy - tell him how it really is! :lol:

MartinT
03-02-2011, 23:45
I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me).

WARNING! ERROR! You are only about half way there without the platter and bearing upgrades. You have NO IDEA how much better it could sound. I didn't either until I heard it for myself.

Rather than splitting your funds over two decks, jump in and see what truly high end sound is like :)

MCRU
04-02-2011, 08:29
WARNING! ERROR! You are only about half way there without the platter and bearing upgrades. You have NO IDEA how much better it could sound. I didn't either until I heard it for myself.

Rather than splitting your funds over two decks, jump in and see what truly high end sound is like :)

Thx, some sensible advice for a change.:)

MCRU
04-02-2011, 08:31
marco,
it's actually a basic plus, any better? I got it to put on one of the 4 remaining lenco's I have left, if the 309 deal fall's through I will get Mike's platter then!

Marco
04-02-2011, 08:58
Lol - go for the bearing first. You can't use the platter with the stock bearing :)

The only Linn arms I'd entertain using are the Ittok (if you can find one with decent bearings) and the Ekos, but then, when you start getting into that kind of money there are other (better) options for use on a non-Linn T/T.

Marco.

Beobloke
04-02-2011, 08:58

I couldn't agree more. The way you're going, you'll just end up with loads of turntables that you love but rarely use. Just like me in fact....:doh:

However I'd go a different route as you already have a high end turntable in the Garrard. Personally, I'd sell the Techie, RB300 and Tecnoarm and treat the 401 to a posh plinth and an SME IV/V or Audio Origami PU7.

Marco
04-02-2011, 09:02
Hi Adam,

That's a very valid option, providing David prefers the 'house' sound of the Garrard to the Techie.

The thing about the Techie, however, is that one hasn't really heard it until an MN bearing and platter have been fitted - those items really do launch it into a different league.

What David has to do is decide what his favourite deck is, and/or what he considers has the most potential, and then max that one out :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
04-02-2011, 11:16
Keep the '401' throw the other deck in the bin :lolsign:

Marco
04-02-2011, 11:21
Aye! :lol:

Marco.

Rare Bird
04-02-2011, 11:25
:lolsign:

Ammonite Audio
04-02-2011, 11:48
With my Thorens TD124, two Lencos and the KD-770D I feel a bit inadequate here. Maybe I need more record players?

Wakefield Turntables
04-02-2011, 12:43
David,

Keep the 401 and the Techics. Put the SME arm onto the 1210 and the Technoarm onto the 401. Get rid of any crap that you dont want any more from your collection and use the funds to buy the Mike New bearing. It'll take a month of decent listening to break in and then consider getting the platter. It sounds like you have the mains/cables section of your system set-up as you can mix and match as you want. Don't start fannying around with silly experiments like me where I'm messing around for fun to see if I can get anything extra out of my 1210. Just get used to the sound of your systems and then start experiment if your not happy:lolsign:

MCRU
04-02-2011, 18:59
David,

Keep the 401 and the Techics. Put the SME arm onto the 1210 and the Technoarm onto the 401. Get rid of any crap that you dont want any more from your collection and use the funds to buy the Mike New bearing. It'll take a month of decent listening to break in and then consider getting the platter. It sounds like you have the mains/cables section of your system set-up as you can mix and match as you want. Don't start fannying around with silly experiments like me where I'm messing around for fun to see if I can get anything extra out of my 1210. Just get used to the sound of your systems and then start experiment if your not happy:lolsign:
Speaking to my friend today who is a self confesses audiophile nutter, we need something to do to stop out lives becoming one long groundhog day, get up for work, go to work, go home, have tea, entertain children, go to bed, get up, go to work etc, etc, etc.

IT'S HI-FI THAT KEEPS US SANE!

vinylspinner
04-02-2011, 19:21
Are any of us really sane? Most of my mates think that I am strange collecting black plastic spinning things and machines to play them on!!!

Nigel

Pete The Cat
04-02-2011, 20:55
I now have a Garrard 401 which almost looks brand new and is now in a new MDF plinth.

Mike Greenwood plinth ? Go on then, what colour ? :lol:

Pete

Alex_UK
04-02-2011, 21:00
Its a very personal thing, for me (an owner of both) I could never get rid of the 401 - love the design, engineering and Britishness, but the Techie can equally sing with the right attention - my advice - keep everything! :)

WOStantonCS100
04-02-2011, 21:50
Speaking to my friend today who is a self confesses audiophile nutter, we need something to do to stop out lives becoming one long groundhog day, get up for work, go to work, go home, have tea, entertain children, go to bed, get up, go to work etc, etc, etc.

IT'S HI-FI THAT KEEPS US SANE!

Cheers to that!! :)

Clive
05-02-2011, 00:06
You could sell both decks and get a Salvation :rolleyes: I'm sure you wanted more choice. :)

MCRU
05-02-2011, 00:18
You could sell both decks and get a Salvation :rolleyes: I'm sure you wanted more choice. :)

Is that Terminator Salvation then?:lol:

MCRU
05-02-2011, 00:19
Mike Greenwood plinth ? Go on then, what colour ? :lol:

Pete

Purple, need to paint it, also the SME cut out is too narrow to fit the rega in as the nut is too big,even with another plate over the top.....grrrrrhhhhhh