PDA

View Full Version : Passive pre decisions... balanced or not?

Jackytwoshoes
02-02-2011, 19:51
I want to build a passive pre to use with my dacmagic and quad 306. I'd like to use a Caiman but I can't live without some analogue inputs.

The specs for the DACMAGIC and quad look like they'll match up OK-

DACMAGIC:
Output 2.1v
Impedance <50 ohm.

Quad 306:
Input sensitivity 375mV
Impedance 20 kOhm.

I'm thinking of using a 10k stepped attenuator.
One of my questions is thus- Can I use the balanced output of my Dacmagic to good effect to drive the volume pot or should I stick with the RCA's?

Reid Malenfant
02-02-2011, 19:59
I want to build a passive pre to use with my dacmagic and quad 306. I'd like to use a Caiman but I can't live without some analogue inputs.

I'm thinking of using a 10k stepped attenuator.
One of my questions is thus- Can I use the balanced output of my Dacmagic to good effect to drive the volume pot or should I stick with the RCA's?
You could do it balanced but you'd need a bit of a special stepped attenuator. You see a stepped attenuator for stereo has two gangs, where as what you have with a balanced feed is in effect the same but with both channels inverted as well. What you'd need would ba a four gang stepped attenuator to control both the non inverting & inverting inputs of both channels.

This is besides the point though as the 306 is single ended :doh:

The only way round it is to use a balanced receiver IC to convert it to single ended & this is going to involve power supplies & regulation of the power supplies.

Unless you know what you are doing i'd suggest you stick to the single ended phono connections at the end of the day ;)

Jackytwoshoes
02-02-2011, 20:18
I'd definitely like to keep thing simple!
I'd seen people converting balanced to single ended using resisters before so I was wondering if I could use that impedance to my advantage..
Seems RCA's are the way to go though.