PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL-1500 - Headshell/cartridge hierarchy

keiths
01-02-2011, 21:58
Can anyone help me with this question:

I've taken a chance on a Technics SL-1500 on ebay that is missing it's headshell. There may well be other things wrong with it (seller says that the platter spins ok), but I won't know that until it arrives (8 - 10 working days - Lord knows why). It was only £35.

I've also bagged a Cambridge 540p MM phono stage cheaply.

It's just intended to be something to play a few old records on and I'm not expecting the earth.

So assuming when it arrives it's OK, I'll need to get a headshell and a cartridge for it. Funds will be tight and I don't really want to go mad. Let's say I've got £80 available (exact amount depends upon what I get for some items I'm selling on ebay right now). I could get a no-name headshell or a second-hand techie one for about a fiver which would leave me £75 for say, a Nagaoka MP110, or I could spend £30 on a Sumiko headshell leaving me £50 for a Nagaoka MP100.

Which would be the best option?

bobp
01-02-2011, 22:39
Can anyone help me with this question:
£30 on a Sumiko headshell leaving me £50 for a Nagaoka MP100.

Which would be the best option?

It all depends how serious you are about the vinyl. If you are, some day you will like to upgrade the turntable. And that upgraded turntable will need good headshell also.

Sumiko headshell is also equipped with superior leads (tiny wires). If you consider how tiny voltages are going through them the difference between
solid and poor headshell/leads can be bigger then between two budget cartridges.

When I put Sumiko on my Technics tonearm, the difference was stunning.

So, Sumiko leads will help you extract the last bit from a budget cartridge.

On other hand, if you would like to experiment with your new table and sell it later without buying another one, buying Sumiko will not make sense, becase you will get 25 cents on a dollar for it, maybe not even that (buyer will expect to have a headshell of some kind and you'll essentially give it for free)

Also, ask around. Maybe someone could give you freeebie headshell to keep you going so you are not in a rush to decide.

MCRU
01-02-2011, 22:47
I think I may have 1 spare off an SL1800 if they are inter-changeable?

keiths
01-02-2011, 23:05
I think I may have 1 spare off an SL1800 if they are inter-changeable?

Hi David, I think any 'universal' headshell will work? If so, that would be fantastic, thanks.

MCRU
02-02-2011, 12:52
pm your address boss

DSJR
02-02-2011, 18:28
The Sumiko headshell will do fine and of the squidgy feet are bypassed and the thing all but glued to a heavy support such as a paving slab or similar, the SL1500 will perform to a very high standard indeed. Just check the speed pots (two on top plate, two on main board) and the micro-switched for cleanliness, as contamination here causes all sorts of speed issues (mine was like this on arrival, but cleaning the above bits with Super Servisol cleaner/lubricant totally cured it and it ran totally true from then on, as I understand it's still doing for AlexUK).

keiths
02-02-2011, 18:56
It actually arrived this afternoon. Other than the missing headshell it seems perfectly fine. The little silver 'cap' on the 45rpm pitch control knob is absent, but that doesn't cause any problems. It's powers up fine and runs nice and smoothly to speed. After a good clean up it looks pretty good.

The rubber feet were a mess. but I've cleaned them up and attached some old Audioquest sorbothane pucks. The plan is to stand it on a heavy wooden chest (on a concrete floor) with a heavy maple chopping board on some more sorbothane feet between the chest and the turntable. Dave, are you saying I'd be better off without the sorbothane pucks on the turntable feet and use cones or something instead between the turntable and the chopping board?

The phono plugs are a mess but I'll replace those. I've checked continuity between the contact pins in the end of the armtube and the phono plugs and that's all fine. I've given the on/off/speed selector switch a clean with deox-it and done the same to the pitch control pots (not that they appeared to need it, but it seemed prudent to do anyway).

The rubber mat is missing but it's been supplied with a quite heavy felt one. That will have to do short term, but I'll probably upgrade to a better mat later.

There appears to be a slight amount of bearing 'chatter' on the arm. Probably nothing serious, but I'm not sure how to adjust that - I guess it's a case of loosening the silver lock-nuts and tightening the little brass grub screws? I guess I'd need to improvise some sort of pin spanner to slacken the lock nuts?

So once David's (Mains Cables R Us - cheers mate) headshell arrives and subject to that going on OK, looks like it may be £35 well spent.

I've bought a Nagaoka MP-11 off eBay and am awaiting a Cambridge Audio 540p phono stage. Once I've got those set up I'll be sorted.

Have just got my LPs out of storage. I thought I'd still got 100-200, but it looks like it's nearer 300 - and there are dozens and dozens that I'd completely forgotten about. Should be fun :)

Alex_UK
02-02-2011, 22:13
as I understand it's still doing for AlexUK).

Yep!

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun, Keith - the Nagaoka will be a great match, trust me. From my experiments, a felt mat was the least successful option - the techie platter needs either a heavy rubber mat like the original, or a Herbies jobbie, as far as I can ascertain (until we start talking silly money compared to the cost of your deck!) I tried an acrylic mat, but it didn't really do it for me, so I stuck with the Herbies. The Sumiko headshell works well, too (and looks cool with a Nagaoka - very "Lego chic"! :) - but sort the mat first, would be my advice.

keiths
02-02-2011, 22:39
but sort the mat first, would be my advice.

Thanks Alex - yep, will sort the mat out next.

keiths
12-02-2011, 13:54
Got it up and running. For a very few quid it sounds pretty good.
http://www.simister.com/public/techie1.jpg

It needed a very good clean up, the phono cable had been partly replaced (left channel was the original cable, right was something else!), so I replaced that with some Audio Technica branded OFC interconnect that I already had. David Brook very kindly gave me his spare headshell and I bought an SL-1200/1210 mat for a tenner. Cartridge is a Nagaoka MP-11 that I bought for £35 and a £40 Cambridge 540p phono stage and Belkin interconnects complete the picture.

Sound is very good except for a bit of a lack of high-frequency 'sparkle'. I suspect that this may be due to the fact I'm having to use 5m long interconnects between the phono stage and the amp as the 2.4m ones are a bit too short. Will sort out a shorter cable next.

All in all just the ticket for me to play some of my old vinyl without getting tempted to pursue relentless upgrades.

http://www.simister.com/public/techie2.jpg

MCRU
12-02-2011, 14:43
It looks sound mate. Proves you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent sound. I won't suggest any up-grades yet as you need to appreciate it first, is the PF30 doing the biz for you?

keiths
12-02-2011, 14:54
is the PF30 doing the biz for you?

Hi David - yes, it's working fine thanks and the sound seems more consistant than it did previously - there used to be big differences depending upon what time of the day it was, whereas since installing the PF30 it all seems a lot more consistant.

Alex_UK
12-02-2011, 19:17
Result, Keith. I suspect the interconnect will be a factor, but when you can get one at a decent price a Herbies/Timestep mat will help big time, and the Sumiko headshell - although each of those will cost more than the deck! :lol: (Though you'd sell them on without much loss (if any) if they didn't do the business.) Most of all, just enjoy the music!

keiths
12-02-2011, 20:00
Have ordered the Sumiko headshell from Analogue Seduction. Will think about the mat - quite tempted by the Blue Horizon mat that Dave Brook sells - but that won't be this month.

Alex_UK
12-02-2011, 20:35
Have ordered the Sumiko headshell from Analogue Seduction. Will think about the mat - quite tempted by the Blue Horizon mat that Dave Brook sells - but that won't be this month.

The Sumiko is a joy to handle (note to self: get a grip FFS, its a headshell! :lol:) ... As for the mat... well if you're gonna push the boat out, I reckon the BH one will be even better!

DSJR
12-02-2011, 20:53
I think the Nagaoka needs less than 2 grammes playing weight, but will check my library to confirm :D

I'd suggest trying around 1.75 grammes (Alex's MP15 needs 1.5 from memory). The headshell you're using should be quite ok with the Nag, but obviously, the Sumiko offers a far greater choice of cartridges as the arm itself is a goodie, original wiring and all IMO...

Alex_UK
12-02-2011, 21:05
I think the Nagaoka needs less than 2 grammes playing weight, but will check my library to confirm :D

I'd suggest trying around 1.75 grammes (Alex's MP15 needs 1.5 from memory). The headshell you're using should be quite ok with the Nag, but obviously, the Sumiko offers a far greater choice of cartridges as the arm itself is a goodie, original wiring and all IMO...

I settled at 1.7 in the end, but according to the Vinyl Engine cartridge database it is 1.8. They give 1.8-2.3g for the MP100.

keiths
12-02-2011, 21:45
I think the Nagaoka needs less than 2 grammes playing weight, but will check my library to confirm

The seller included a scan of the original instruction leaflet which says VTF should be between 1.8 and 2.3g with 2.0g recommended.

I jut wanted to get it set up today and play a few records, but tomorrow I'll try some different settings. It is worth pointing out that my records have been stored for 6 years in less-than-ideal conditions and a few aren't exactly what you'd call 'flat' :steam:, but all have so far tracked perfectly. :)

At the moment I'm still using the original feet (on top of the two maple 'butchers' blocks which have been stuck together with some 'low-modulus' silicone sealant. The blocks are on old Audioquest sorbothane pucks on top of a Target stand spiked to a concrete floor).I'll also experiment with removing the feet and trying cones, spikes, blu-tack etc.

I still need to try and adjust the arm bearings to remove/reduce a bit of 'chatter', but I'm not sure how to do that - I guess it's loosen the top lock-nut and tighten the grub screw?