PDA

View Full Version : Sad News about Dave

swampy
30-01-2011, 12:03
Those of you who know Dave Hewitt here, some sad news.

I have just heard from Dave's Daughter-in-law that he passed away last night. :( I'm gutted as he was a really good friend of mine who helped me with so much. I learned a lot from Dave and I'm going to miss him as I usually saw him every week.

I think a few knew him here from hi-fi meets and shows.

The Grand Wazoo
30-01-2011, 12:05
I had the pleasure of meeting Dave just a few months ago. What a gent. I'm really sorry to hear this news. Best wishes to all his loved ones.

Ali Tait
30-01-2011, 12:11
I'm gutted. Please pass my condolences along David.

aquapiranha
30-01-2011, 12:18
I heard this very sad news this morning. Dave was a true gentleman, always willing to help in any way he could. This is truly a great loss to all who knew him.

I am truly saddened by the passing of this great man.

Sleep well Dave, you deserve it.

colinB
30-01-2011, 12:19
I learned a lot from his contributions on AOS and feel grateful for the personal instruction he gave me on several posts. Very sad news for the forum.
My thoughts go out to his family.

Jonboy
30-01-2011, 12:25
I'm very sad to hear that to, thoughts and best wishes to his family and loved ones.

Spectral Morn
30-01-2011, 12:27
I am really shocked and sad to hear this news :(

Words fail me.

DSDL

Alex_UK
30-01-2011, 12:27
Terrible news - I only knew Dave through here, but very sad nonetheless. Thoughts are of course with his family and friends. :(

The Vinyl Adventure
30-01-2011, 12:29
How sad!
Perhaps AOS members could put a few quid together if they feel it appropriate and colectively donate it to a charity in his name ...
I'm not sure if it is appropriate, I didn't know him other than posts on here, but it always seems a nice thing to do ... ?

Spectral Morn
30-01-2011, 12:36
I didn't know Dave very well, only through exchanging pms with him awhile ago re FS Transformers, but from that brief exchange and his posts here on AOS he was a gentleman and his knowledge, enthusiasm and humour will live on in the hearts of those who knew him, his family and here on AOS for as long as the forum exists.

Dave was part of the AOS family/community and as such will be missed by all of us.

My thoughts are with his family at this time.

Neil

Alex_UK
30-01-2011, 12:41
How sad!
Perhaps AOS members could put a few quid together if they feel it appropriate and colectively donate it to a charity in his name ...
I'm not sure if it is appropriate, I didn't know him other than posts on here, but it always seems a nice thing to do ... ?

Sounds like a good idea Hamish. Maybe we could also have some sort of memorial award (probably for doing something on the cheap from the pound shop!) in his memory?

ourdogmax
30-01-2011, 12:48
OMG. I cant believe it, I went to Leicester with him this week to buy some speakers.
Dave was my best mate, and I'm In shock at this awful news.
I know he had heart trouble, but thought he was on the mend, this is truly the worst news I have had in a long time.

R.I.P. Mate.:(

ourdogmax
30-01-2011, 12:56
I Have just spoken to Dave's family and it appears he had suffered an Aneurysm.

And died at home with his wife at his side.
:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ian Walker
30-01-2011, 12:58
Very sad news this,i'd only known Dave for a couple of years but considered him to be a true friend.

I was lucky enough to be with him on wednesday when he told me he'd had a bad night the night before,but as usual he just shrugged it of though and got on with things.He certainly made me put any of my petty worries into perspective thats for sure.

God bless Dave it was a privilege to have known you mate.

Ian.

Techno Commander
30-01-2011, 13:09
This is very sad news indeed.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

swampy
30-01-2011, 13:10
Very sad news this,i'd only known Dave for a couple of years but considered him to be a true friend.

Ian.

Ian... We had some laughs with Dave when we all got together.. I remember those.

Ali Tait
30-01-2011, 13:14
Me too, at the various Owstons etc. He will be sadly missed.

Ian Walker
30-01-2011, 13:17
Ian... We had some laughs with Dave when we all got together.. I remember those.

Too right we did mate,we always refer to you two as "THE TWO DAVES" what a double act eh :)

Regards,

Ian.

Reid Malenfant
30-01-2011, 13:18
Only knew of him on here but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy...

My condolences to his relatives & friends.

:(

Stratmangler
30-01-2011, 13:30
I'm very saddened to hear of Dave's passing.
Condolences to his family and all who knew him.

John
30-01-2011, 13:37
Like many people here I did not know David but always enjoyed reading his posts.
I am sad to hear this news

Covenant
30-01-2011, 13:41
I only met Dave once. He lent me two amps from the treasure trove in his garage which I returned the following week. He didn't know me but trusted me straight away.
Like others I am very upset by this news and offer my condolences to his family.

Marco
30-01-2011, 13:49
This is just the most awful sad news and a total shock.... We all thought he was on the mend after his op :( :(

Dave was a true gentleman and someone I respected and held in the highest regard.

He was one of the kindest and most generous people I had the pleasure of knowing, and someone who always restored your faith in humanity through his kindness.

Both AoS and the hi-fi/DIY audio community will be a poorer place without him - of that there is no doubt.

My thoughts go to his wife Mavis and the rest of his family, and I wish them the strength they need to get through this difficult time.

So, to Dave - you were a legend, man. Gone in this life perhaps, but you most certainly will never be forgotten.....

God bless.

Marco.

ourdogmax
30-01-2011, 14:27
This is just the most awful sad news and a total shock.... We all thought he was on the mend after his op :( :(

Dave was a true gentleman and someone I respected and held in the highest regard.

He was one of the kindest and most generous people I had the pleasure of knowing, and someone who always restored your faith in humanity through his kindness.

Both AoS and the hi-fi/DIY audio community will be a poorer place without him - of that there is no doubt.

My thoughts go to his wife Mavis and the rest of his family, and I wish them the strength they need to get through this difficult time.

So, to Dave - you were a legend, man. Gone in this life perhaps, but you most certainly will never be forgotten.....

God bless.

Marco.

Ditto Marco. Goodnight and god bless.

Beechwoods
30-01-2011, 14:28
What a shock... I only knew Dave from his contributions here, and I guess we all thought things were on the up after he returned from hospital a few weeks ago :( Like veryone else here, my thoughts are with Dave's family at this time...

hornucopia
30-01-2011, 15:00
I had not long ago teased him about bouncing back after his op, and then wanting a Metrosound amp!
I lived near him 60 years ago, so we had a connection, and it was great to meet him when he delivered my F3 'Hewitt' amp. I TOLD him not to travel, but he believed life was for living, not sitting in a chair -though he DID like my hanging/listening chair!
Great guy.

bigmarty
30-01-2011, 16:01
Very sad news..................
My condolences to his family and friends.

Marty

Rare Bird
30-01-2011, 16:19
O dear. i didnt know Dave but only through a few recent PM regarding his Metrosound, seemed a very nice easy going guy..Poor man

My condolences to his family

Effem
30-01-2011, 18:22
Like others here I only "knew" him by his posts and he will be sadly missed.

Barry
30-01-2011, 19:32
I too, only knew of Dave from his posts here. From the appreciations I have read, I wish I had met him - he seemed like a great guy.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Jac Hawk
30-01-2011, 19:59
Like most forum members i only knew Dave from his posts, and it seems to me from reading his posts and the things other members have said about him, that he was a kind and generous man, always willing to help others. All i can do is wish the very best for his family, may they always remember the good times.

R.I.P Dave

Mothman
30-01-2011, 20:07
Again I only new Dave from his posts but this is sad new indeed.

keiths
30-01-2011, 20:13
So sorry to hear this. I didn't know Dave, and as I've only been here for a few months, have only seen a few of his posts, but still feel very sad. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

SPS
30-01-2011, 21:26
very sad news, i knew Dave through the diy meets and seeing him at other events
we always had a good chat.. such a nice fella and a real gentleman, he will be missed very much.
my thoughts go to his wife and family..

leo
31-01-2011, 21:02
Only just seen this, how sad :(
My condolences to his wife and family

swampy
31-01-2011, 21:52
Thanks for all the nice words guys. I'm so cut up about Dave as I am sure his close friends are; and devastated for Mavis his wife.

I am going to miss him so much, its left a bit of an hole. It is not going to be the same for me building projects and this hobby.

Marco
31-01-2011, 22:59
Hi David,

I totally understand that, mate, and it's only natural. I still well-up thinking about him, as Dave made such an impression on me, but you were much closer to him than I was.

We'll all miss him, not least of all, Mavis :(

This will be a difficult time for you and for everyone who was close to Dave, but try not to lose your passion for building, and for hi-fi, as you know that's not what Dave would've wanted.

He'll be up there now listening to Ray Charles and Kevin Dean, as I've heard that in heaven they have a big pair of Tannoys......! :)

Marco.

synsei
01-02-2011, 18:07
I've only just stumbled upon this thread... :(

Like others on here, I only knew Dave from his posts, but his personality shone through everything he's written.

God bless Dave, and my thoughts are with your family and friends at this difficult time... :goodbye:

anthonyTD
01-02-2011, 20:17
very sad to have just been told the news.:(
i' like a lot of the members here only knew Dave through his postings but i am assured that he was a very kind and generous man and he will no doubt be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.
Anthony,TD...

ourdogmax
02-02-2011, 16:27
Hi All, I have spoken to Dave's wife, Mavis.
With regards to donations.

They both supported the British Heart Foundation, so if anyone would like to contribute in Dave's memory, then please do.

As they say "all donations gratefully received".

Thank's

The Vinyl Adventure
02-02-2011, 16:39
Some info here

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/donate/in-memory.aspx

Haselsh1
02-02-2011, 16:56
Like I do not know a lot of people on this forum, I never knew Dave but I can certainly share in the sadness that comes with losing someone, in fact anyone.

goraman
06-02-2011, 05:51
I only know him through his posts,but he always was willing to help,or chime in,he will be sorrily missed,R.I.P. Dave.
May he be in Heaven an hour before the Devil knows he's dead.

Yiangos
07-02-2011, 06:46
I didn't know Dave,or probably i did but didn't know the person i was talking to was he but that doeasn't do any difference.It's a loss to all of us.Sorry to hear about him passing away.May he rest in peace

Marco
08-02-2011, 00:23
Hi mate,

Thanks for your kind remarks, which are much appreciated. However, could you do me a favour please and add your real first name and basic location to your profile, as this is now required from all members of AoS - cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Ian Walker
09-02-2011, 18:53
Daves just arrived...

God..."Hello Dave welcome to heaven mate".

Dave.."Thanks very much God,it certainly looks ok"

God..."Tell you what Dave,you just settle in tonight,have a good rest then tomorrow morning just follow the signs for PARADISE and i'll meet you there and show you round all the pound shops!!:lol:

Well everyone ive just got back from Daves funeral and im pleased to report it was a fantastic send off,totally befitting of the man.
The chapel for the service was packed with standing room only and was quite moving actually to see so many people there who obviously had a lot of respect and love for him.
Mavis and the family send their heartfelt thanks to you all for all your kind messages.

Regards,

Ian.

Beechwoods
09-02-2011, 19:42
Ian, I think that has to go down as the most fantastic tribute I've ever read, and I can only hope that when I go, my friends remember me as fondly. I'm glad that Dave had a good send off.

Spectral Morn
09-02-2011, 19:43
Ian, I think that has to go down as the most fantastic tribute I've ever read, and I can only hope that when I go, my friends remember me as fondly. I'm glad that Dave had a good send off.

+ 1

Regards Neil

swampy
09-02-2011, 19:44
Yes, it was also an honour to be a pallbearer. I kind of felt guilty being asked with so many people present and many who knew Dave for a very long time before me.

Kirstie's Eulogy was touching and funny esp the pound shop reference. Dave is one of the closest friends I've lost.... as bad as losing a family member and he was clearly respected and loved judging by the number of attendees.

Ian Walker
09-02-2011, 20:01
Yes, it was also an honour to be a pallbearer. I kind of felt guilty being asked with so many people present and many who knew Dave for a very long time before me.

Kirstie's Eulogy was touching and funny esp the pound shop reference. Dave is one of the closest friends I've lost.... as bad as losing a family member and he was clearly respected and loved judging by the number of attendees.

Me too Dave, something i'd never done before but i was pleased and proud to do it.It was also nice that me,you,Avinash and Ian Kay sat together for the service. Speak soon matey.

Ian.

Ian Walker
09-02-2011, 20:07

Cheers Nick and Neil...thanks lads:)

Spectral Morn
09-02-2011, 20:12
I feel the poorer for not having met Dave or knowing him the way you guys did.

imho you guys are the richer as you did.

Regards Neil

Mark Grant
09-02-2011, 20:17
Like many others I only knew Dave from his forum posts, strange how you feel you know someone from online activity and it's like loosing a close friend.

I have only ever heard good things about Dave when chatting to forum friends, he would do anything for anybody and was very generous.

It does not seem long ago that he was asking about a new Audiolab DAC;
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8958

Sounds like he had a good send off today.

Best wishes to Mavis and his family.

A quote I once read on a card or some flowers:

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal."

-
-
-
(Sorry if that's a bit off, I am a bit delicate tonight as I have just been to see my Grandad who is very near the end)

Mark.

Ian Walker
09-02-2011, 20:31
Like many others I only knew Dave from his forum posts, strange how you feel you know someone from online activity and it's like loosing a close friend.

I have only ever heard good things about Dave when chatting to forum friends, he would do anything for anybody and was very generous.

It does not seem long ago that he was asking about a new Audiolab DAC;
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8958

Sounds like he had a good send off today.

Best wishes to Mavis and his family.

A quote I once read on a card or some flowers:

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal."

-
-
-
(Sorry if that's a bit off, I am a bit delicate tonight as I have just been to see my Grandad who is very near the end)

Mark.
Far from it Mark that was a very nice post mate.

Regards,

Ian.

Marco
09-02-2011, 21:15
Sorry to hear that, Mark. I hope your graddad has a peaceful end, if the end is now near. It's such a difficult time, mate :(

Regarding Dave, I'm so pleased that he had a good send off, and most importantly, that some well-intended humour entered the proceedings, as that's the way Dave would've wanted it :)

Dave was a wonderful human being and will always be remembered by a great deal of people. It was an honour to have known him. God bless his memory.

Marco.

aquapiranha
09-02-2011, 21:57
I am really glad that Dave had the send off he so richly deserved. I would have liked to have been there myself, despite only meeting Dave a few times it was obvious to me he was a great guy, one of the good ones. :(

ourdogmax
10-02-2011, 10:40
Thank's for all the lovely comments guys.
I think it was a great send off, Dave was my closest friend and taught me a lot especially what to look for in poundland :lol:.

I do miss him dearly, there is now a huge void in my life, and in the lives of others who were close to him, Swampy for one.

I would have loved to have carried Dave at the funeral, unfortunately I have rheumatoid arthritis, and would have hated if I had to let Mavis down on the day.

All your comments have helped Mavis, and she even showed the vicar, who was amazed, by the warmth of respect for Dave. I am also very touched by the amount of respect shown for him, and I thank you all, very much. :cool:

Mark Grant
16-02-2011, 10:45
Sorry to hear that, Mark. I hope your grandad has a peaceful end, if the end is now near. It's such a difficult time, mate :(
Marco.

Thanks for the kind words, it has ended.
The very end was peaceful with some difficult and distressing experiences for the last week or so.
I will start a thread about it later.

I can appreciate what Daves family and close friends have been going through.

Mark.

MartinT
16-02-2011, 14:58
Sorry to hear that, Mark, at least his distress has ended. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Marco
16-02-2011, 15:06
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words, it has ended.
The very end was peaceful with some difficult and distressing experiences for the last week or so.
I will start a thread about it later.

I can appreciate what Daves family and close friends have been going through.

Sorry to hear that. Even when you know the inevitable is coming, it still doesn't make it any less painful when it arrives :(

My condolences go to the rest of the family and you.

Marco.

Wilbur
16-02-2011, 18:06
Just noticed this thread:( Never met Dave in person,but had a chat on the phone once or twice.I picked up a Ferrograph from his house in December,but missed actually meeting him as he had to pop out.Very sad news indeed,and my thoughts go out to the friends and family of an obviously very much loved and respected man.