PDA

View Full Version : phono cable for aqvox phono stage

jimmieg
29-01-2011, 19:28
Hello all: I recently upgraded to this phono stage and liking alot. If you know anything about this phono stage you know that the reason to own it is to be able to run it balanced in. I am currently doing this with rca/xlr adapters from Aqvox which are not ideal; I'm getting a fair amount of hum and some rfi. The solution is to get a din-xlr cable, but I think proper grouding is an issue. The more I try to learn about this, the less I know. I am using a Thorens 160 table with a Sumiko MMT arm. The Sumiko is a Jelco arm and Jelco makes a cable, but it's heavy and not flexible so not sure if it is a good choice for my suspended Thorens; also, the Jelco cable does not have a separate ground wire. Aqvox makes a cable designed for their phono stage and I may go this way, but trying not to spend $600 - $750 which is the range for the Aqvox cable, depending on copper VS silver. I may be able to buy a used Zu Xaus but cannot get into the Zu website right now to find out about the grounding scheme. If anyone else is using the Aqvox phono stage I would be interested in knowing what cable you are using. Thanks, jimmieg

Reid Malenfant
29-01-2011, 19:37
Hi Jimmie, sounds like you aren't running balanced at all chap :doh: What you need to do is effectively rewire back to where the cable connects to the tonearm. I'm not sure but i doubt that just about any standard cable will actually do the job.

To take advantage of the balanced connections you'll also need to check that none of the -VE pins on the cartridge are shorted to the headshell as well. 99.99% of all cartridges are capable of balanced output as standard, they tend to be converted to single ended either at the headshell (not very often) or where the output cable attaches to the tonearm..

You'll need to modify things & get proper twin core & screened balanced cable (for each channel) to do the job properly :scratch:

selfaddict
29-01-2011, 21:09
Hello all: I recently upgraded to this phono stage and liking alot. If you know anything about this phono stage you know that the reason to own it is to be able to run it balanced in. I am currently doing this with rca/xlr adapters from Aqvox which are not ideal; I'm getting a fair amount of hum and some rfi. The solution is to get a din-xlr cable, but I think proper grouding is an issue. The more I try to learn about this, the less I know. I am using a Thorens 160 table with a Sumiko MMT arm. The Sumiko is a Jelco arm and Jelco makes a cable, but it's heavy and not flexible so not sure if it is a good choice for my suspended Thorens; also, the Jelco cable does not have a separate ground wire. Aqvox makes a cable designed for their phono stage and I may go this way, but trying not to spend $600 - $750 which is the range for the Aqvox cable, depending on copper VS silver. I may be able to buy a used Zu Xaus but cannot get into the Zu website right now to find out about the grounding scheme. If anyone else is using the Aqvox phono stage I would be interested in knowing what cable you are using. Thanks, jimmieg

I had the same problem year ago when I still had my Ayre phono stage. I asked advice from the forum and as always got good info/advice :). I do not know if this tread will have any use for you.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5064&highlight=ayre

blake
29-01-2011, 22:51
I've owned the Aqvox for about 3 years now and had problems when auditioning it (with the adapters) with hum that ended up being caused by a poorly constructed tonearm lead (that nevertheless functioned fine in single ended mode). The adaptors are definitely not meant for permanent use.

Your MMT is already set up for fully balanced operation. Buy a dedicated balanced tonearm cable (which is not likely to have an external ground as the ground will be addressed internally in the cable) and you will indeed be fully balanced and operational. The only chance of a real problem arising is if you end up with a cartridge that is grounded using the metal body of the cartridge itself (some of the Shures are like this I believe) but if you're going with a MC, which I would expect you would be, the likelihood of you having any problems is about as high as you winning the lottery.

I use the balanced Jelco tonearm cable (I had it cryoed and burned in on an Audiodharma cable cooker) and it is an exceptional, high value cable for the money and supposedly optimized for MC cartridges. It's a little heavier and less flexible than some other tonearm cables but if you dress it and support it at the rear of your table to avoid it creating problems with the suspension I would expect that you would be fine.

Get a balanced tonearm cable and you will be a very happy guy. The Aqvox is truly superb in balanced mode; that's where it really shines.

selfaddict
30-01-2011, 10:44
I just saw this on feabay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270699289097&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123e

I have no connection to the seller, just thought you might be interested in :)

selfaddict
30-01-2011, 10:47
I've owned the Aqvox for about 3 years now and had problems when auditioning it (with the adapters) with hum that ended up being caused by a poorly constructed tonearm lead (that nevertheless functioned fine in single ended mode). The adaptors are definitely not meant for permanent use.

Your MMT is already set up for fully balanced operation. Buy a dedicated balanced tonearm cable (which is not likely to have an external ground as the ground will be addressed internally in the cable) and you will indeed be fully balanced and operational. The only chance of a real problem arising is if you end up with a cartridge that is grounded using the metal body of the cartridge itself (some of the Shures are like this I believe) but if you're going with a MC, which I would expect you would be, the likelihood of you having any problems is about as high as you winning the lottery.

I use the balanced Jelco tonearm cable (I had it cryoed and burned in on an Audiodharma cable cooker) and it is an exceptional, high value cable for the money and supposedly optimized for MC cartridges. It's a little heavier and less flexible than some other tonearm cables but if you dress it and support it at the rear of your table to avoid it creating problems with the suspension I would expect that you would be fine.

Get a balanced tonearm cable and you will be a very happy guy. The Aqvox is truly superb in balanced mode; that's where it really shines.

Jelco cables are really good value for money. I have used both, balanced with Ayre previously and single ended currently and have no plans to change.

Reid Malenfant
30-01-2011, 11:40
Nice to see these balanced cables are available, i actually hadn't looked into it & figured i'd have to make my own :eyebrows: I probably still will looking at the prices though...

jimmieg
30-01-2011, 15:49

Hi Blake, you and I actually spoke about this over on AA....you are probably sick of hearing from me on this issue by now! I like the idea of the Jelco 506, especially since I have found it for only $125USD. You are correct in that if I properly support it there will not be any issues with my table suspension. My concern is with the wiring scheme; I have not learned much about this, but what I have learned is that balanced tonaram cables come in more than one variety, and the more I read the more confused I am. So, the thing stopping me from ordering the Jelco 506 cable is that I am not certain it is correctly configured for the Aqvox. It does not have separate ground cable, which makes me wonder if the grounding scheme is correct from the Aqvox..? I am tempted to get the Aqvox copper cable ($600USD) just be sure the cable is perfectly compatible, but if the Jelco will work that would be fantastic. The attached pdf file is from Aqvox and discusses the XLR pin assignments. The Aqvox is a great phono stage even with the adapters and I really want to resolve the cable issue and fully enjoy it. Thanks for all the replies, Jim

jimmieg
30-01-2011, 16:02
I tried to attache the Aqvox pdf but too large. It can be found here:

http://www.aqvox.de/tonarm_en-balanced.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link "Here some cable instructions" to view the pdf. Thanks, Jim

Reid Malenfant
30-01-2011, 16:18
Yes, this is the way to do it as i mentioned earlier.

Cables with twin conductors & an overall screen ;)

E2A:- You can always add another small cable to earth the TT chassis to the phono pre amp if needs be...

blake
30-01-2011, 23:02
Hi Blake, you and I actually spoke about this over on AA....you are probably sick of hearing from me on this issue by now! I like the idea of the Jelco 506, especially since I have found it for only $125USD. You are correct in that if I properly support it there will not be any issues with my table suspension. My concern is with the wiring scheme; I have not learned much about this, but what I have learned is that balanced tonaram cables come in more than one variety, and the more I read the more confused I am. So, the thing stopping me from ordering the Jelco 506 cable is that I am not certain it is correctly configured for the Aqvox. It does not have separate ground cable, which makes me wonder if the grounding scheme is correct from the Aqvox..? I am tempted to get the Aqvox copper cable ($600USD) just be sure the cable is perfectly compatible, but if the Jelco will work that would be fantastic. The attached pdf file is from Aqvox and discusses the XLR pin assignments. The Aqvox is a great phono stage even with the adapters and I really want to resolve the cable issue and fully enjoy it. Thanks for all the replies, Jim

Hi Jimmie: Rest assured that the Jelco will work perfectly with your Aqvox; it does with mine.

I've used 3 different cables with the Aqvox, a Van den Hul that was modified from single ended to balanced with an external ground, a purpose built balanced tonearm cable that Gene at Takefiveaudio built for me using Cardas cable (no external ground on that one either) which was close to twice the price of the Jelco and the Jelco. The Jelco is by far the best of the bunch. No ground issues and outstanding performance. Go for it and enjoy!

Marco
31-01-2011, 00:07
Hi Jim,

I tried to attache the Aqvox pdf but too large. It can be found here:

http://www.aqvox.de/tonarm_en-balanced.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link "Here some cable instructions" to view the pdf.

Sorry to butt in, but could you do me a favour please and add your first name and basic location details to your profile at your earliest opportunity? This is now required of all members on AoS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

jimmieg
31-01-2011, 00:32
did not realize I had not done that, pardon me.

Marco
31-01-2011, 01:20
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that :)

Marco.

rahman
31-01-2011, 12:17
Hi Jimmie

I got this balanced silver for my aqvox:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pure-silver-tonearm-cable-Linn-SME-ittok-ekos-sondek-/370479343030?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item56424a25b6

Although he doesn't list a balanced cable, he does make them (including an earth lead similar to that used by aqvox).

All good and considerably cheaper than many other balanced cables I researched.

FWIW, the combination of my 301,fr arm/cart and aqvox means that I have no hiss and very very minor hum (I suspect from the 301 motor) at normal listening levels with my ear to the speaker. Can't ask for much more than that!

Best of luck
Adrian