PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Shift

WOStantonCS100
28-01-2011, 19:55
When CD's first came out I swore I would never rebuy my LP and tape collection on CD. I never have. However, as of late, I think nothing of replacing my CD's with LP's, even if the price is a little on the high side. So, in essence I'm rebuying a part of my collection, anyway. Anyone else find themselves doing the same? At least, I'm happy about it. :) I also find myself wishing that CD only releases will eventually be released on vinyl. There's a lot of great stuff on CD that I think would be absolutely crackin' to have on LP. Two that come to mind right away are: Self - Gizmodgery and Max Tundra - Mastered By Guy At The Exchange. :confused: There are tons more, for sure. Crazy world, innit. (I hope this doesn't open the whole digital vs. analog debate again; not my intent. I'm just addicted to the vinyl format; the big cover art, the smell of it... ahhhh... the smell of it...) ;) I mean when I found out Micheal Brecker's last album was going to available on vinyl... :stalks: Oh, and if I could get Eric Johnson - Bloom and Up Close on vinyl.... as good as bought!

colinB
28-01-2011, 20:03
Im doing the same. Sometimes its really worth it but ive bought a few stinkers where the cd was better.
One of my favourite labels ECM are starting to release vinyl again and as you would expect its beautifully done, so thats another bunch of releases i have to catch upwith.

MartinT
28-01-2011, 20:42
I have re-purchased two LPs recently that I gave away years ago when I bought the CDs. Silly me :)

Reid Malenfant
28-01-2011, 20:50
I have re-purchased two LPs recently that I gave away years ago when I bought the CDs. Silly me :)
Indeed, what the hell did you buy the LPs again for :lolsign:

:sofa:

Just kidding :eyebrows: Have a good weekend Martin!

WOStantonCS100
28-01-2011, 22:31
ECM... What a great catalog of music! If they're doing vinyl again, I'm in... with both feet!

So MartinT, what were those two albums?

MartinT
28-01-2011, 22:39
Indeed, what the hell did you buy the LPs again for

LOL! Not much good with dCS gear...

Have a good weekend yourself, matey.

So MartinT, what were those two albums?

Genesis: A Trick of the Tail (probably their best recording ever) and Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman (definitely his best).

colinB
28-01-2011, 22:51
I have to buy Selling England by the Pound on vinyl. The cd is terrible.

WOStantonCS100
28-01-2011, 22:56
Genesis: A Trick of the Tail (probably their best recording ever) and Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman (definitely his best).

I guess I need to pick both of those up. I did start working on my Genesis collection again at one point; but, fell off again after getting LLDOB and Seconds Out.

Alex_UK
28-01-2011, 22:59
I've been desperately searching out some of my favourite CDs on vinyl - Zero 7, Groove Armada, Air, Royksopp - a real treat to spin them, but paid through the nose for a few... not 100% convinced they sound better every time, but certainly enjoy the experience.

WOStantonCS100
28-01-2011, 23:09
I've been desperately searching out some of my favourite CDs on vinyl

...always good to know one's not alone in the world :lolsign:

- Zero 7, Groove Armada, Air, Royksopp - a real treat to spin them, but paid through the nose for a few... not 100% convinced they sound better every time, but certainly enjoy the experience.

Groove Armada, Air... yeah. I'm not familiar with the others; but, I guess that's part of the reason I joined this forum.

MartinT
29-01-2011, 10:12
I have to buy Selling England by the Pound on vinyl. The cd is terrible.

The LP is not bad but the Japanese SACD is outstanding.

Alex_UK
29-01-2011, 12:10
Groove Armada, Air... yeah. I'm not familiar with the others; but, I guess that's part of the reason I joined this forum.

If you like GA & Air, then Zero7 should be right up your street especially I think - Royksopp a little more "weird" but seek out some Zero7 if you can. The first 2 albums especially (US Amazon links - samples for you to check out: Simple Things (http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Things-Zero-7/dp/B00005R5M6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296302909&sr=8-3) & When it Falls (http://www.amazon.com/When-Falls-Zero-7/dp/B0001HAHY6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296302909&sr=8-5))