PDA

View Full Version : I doff my cap ......

zanash
09-08-2008, 10:53
Hi

I'm from the uk from the area made famous by that reprobate Mr R Hood and his merry mates.

many of you know me from other places ......and may be some of the issues I've had too.

Anyway this seems a well moded and easy going forum so with luck and a following wind I'll be able to post some of my less conventional thoughts with out upseting the "hifi taliban"

About a year ago I had to start a small business because I was inundated with people wanting me to make them interconnect cables .....this was a word of mouth process ....so I was getting friends of friends of friends who'd had a listen to said ic and wanted one of there own. So the upshot was the formation of Fatkat acoustics ...to keep mr tax man happy if he should call and ask "So where did this fat wad of money come from ?"

I do still make cables if asked ...but I don't cold call or advertise ...I've a website thats still under construction .....

I've been into hifi since 1975 and built my own cables since the early'80 on the realisation I was never going to be able to afford the current flavour of the month. Over the years I've built just about every type of cable using most of the more common metals ...copper silver gold palladium platinum alluminium steel chromium and any mixtures ....

the sum of my interconnect knowledge is that [and confirms other's] is that thinner tends to be better ...
solid core sounds better than stranded ...
shielding is a no no .....
and air is a great sounding insulator....

my kit has evolved over the years and I know that what I now have sounds better than what came before !

current kit includes
quad 99cdp2
sb3 [wit a big diy linear psu]
audio synthesis dax decae [ used as dac and pre]
beard class A valve pre [for analogue sources]
consonance cyber 800 mono valve amps
martin logan aerius i's

all cable are my own designs
mainly silver and palladium

off the wall stuff that anybody will tell you makes no difference .....until they hear it and then look confused ...

Arkustrik raumanimator.....or little blue light [could be a schumann device?]
little wooden feet [of my own design]
a tub of bentonite [source of negative ions]
Auralex mopads [replaced the spikes under my speakers]
glass audio systeme lathe....
phonosophie cd flux cd treatment

I don't like people who tell me what I hearing or not hearing ...when there not present in my listening room....
though that doesn't mean people can't have there own opinions ..so long as there not ramming them down others throats ! I'll also defend someones right to hold a different opinion too .....

Emmodd
09-08-2008, 11:56
Welcome onboard Zanash - good to have you here.

Puffin
09-08-2008, 15:53
Welcome zanash.

Beechwoods
09-08-2008, 17:31
Glad to make your acquaintance. I love that bit about the 'Hi-Fi Taliban'. It's a good job this place is chilled out or I'd have been run out town with a price on my head long ago :)

Beechwoods (with the mish-mashiest non-audiophile system here, I'll warrant!)

Steve Toy
10-08-2008, 02:25
I've seen you in other places, Zanash. It is good to have another whacky subjectivist on the Art of Sound. That's what we are about.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
10-08-2008, 14:43
Hi Zanash
Welcome and have fun.

Andy - SDDW