PDA

View Full Version : Warm Tunes for Cold Montana Nights

Cliff
24-01-2011, 20:36
Spend way too much time planted on the couch in front of this set up, but it is enjoyable, both for music and film.

I like things warm and musical and really delight in musical flow.
This assemblage provides that nicely.

Still working on the TT set up which consists of the Technics 1200 mk2 and denon 103sa and EAR 834p.

Cheers,
Cliff

Cliff
24-01-2011, 21:40
Supplemental post to the original (hope I'm not posting too many pics).

Might be switching to the EMT cartridge for my technics tt as I had a mishap with my Denon cartridge.Don't think my stock Technics arm is really up to the quality of the EMT, but it would still be fun, I think, and probably really show off any improvements to the arm/headshell.:cool:

Cliff

s70rmp
25-01-2011, 18:33
sweet lookng setup

so how cold does it get there ?

Noticed Maine was getting -22c on Sunday just past

Cliff
25-01-2011, 19:10
Thankfully, it doesn't often get THAT cold here. But it is plenty cold for a guy originally from Florida.
The temps in my area are moderated by being in a valley shielded by mountain ranges.
So we don't get much sub-zero weather. Which is nice.

Reid Malenfant
25-01-2011, 19:48
Hi Cliff, are those full range drivers made by Fostex out of interest? Nice clean & simple looking setup by the way (often the best way), i wish i could say the same here :lol: :mental:

Ali Tait
25-01-2011, 20:03
Hi Cliff, yes, I was looking at those too Mark. Fostex, or maybe Feastrex?

Cliff, I come from Braemar up in the Cairngorms in Scotland, which is in the Guinness Book of Records as the coldest place in the UK at -27 c. That was a while ago, though it did get down to -22 at Hogmanay!

Marco
25-01-2011, 20:13
Aye, yur made of stern stock, ya wee daftie, so keep drinkin' the Irn Bru! :eyebrows:

Oh, welcome to AoS, Cliff - nice system!!

Marco.

Ali Tait
25-01-2011, 20:21
Only when it's got some voddie in it!!

Cliff
25-01-2011, 20:30
Yikes! -27 c. I don't know exactly what that equals in f., but I would guzzle the brandy and hug the tube amp!

The drivers are Phy-HP from France, the speakers built by Auditorium 23 in Germany. It is an 8-inch true single-driver design which only reaches from about 50 hz to 13k hz, but I really enjoy music through them. More so as the time goes on.

I must say that I like their look, too. A clean, geometric simplicity.

I used to have distinct listening rooms which often elicited responses from guests like " What is this, a laboratory?".

Now I am trying to chill on the audiophile obsession (not that there is anything wrong with that) and just enjoy.

Cheers,
Cliff:)

I haven't even replaced my stock ac outlets yet. So maybe it is working.

Ali Tait
25-01-2011, 20:49
They look very nice Cliff. Maybe a supertweeter parked on the top would be a nice improvement?

-27c = -16f

Cliff
05-04-2011, 05:12
Thought I would update where I am with my system, particularly my Technics SL 1200 mk.2, as this site is THE place for all things Technics TTs. Thus my little contribution.

Just got my TT back from KAB where I had the Cardas tonearm rewire done and purchased the Cardas headshell wires-- although i must add that I actually had a custom version of the rewire done where instead of terminating the Cardas at the RCA junction box, I had Kevin run the Cardas wire out of the TT bottom about 1 meter and terminate it with Cardas connectors, like the stock Technics is (although with fewer internal breaks in the wire) and like my last 2 or 3 TTs were wired. It is one of my audio biases that I believe the fewer connections/breaks/junctions in the phono signal chain, the better.

Well, I must say this completely transformed the Technics table. It sounds like a different deck: Amazingly open, clear and articulate, but not harsh or stark.
I am a very happy customer.

Also, out of necessity because I broke the cantilever on my previous cartridge, I am concurrently breaking in a new cartridge, the Denon DL A100.
Short story, pretty sure I like it better than my previous one, the Denon 103sa. Hard to be positive because of the variable of new tonearm and headshell wires, but I immediately noticed the seemingly better flow and musical monmentum from the 103-based A100 than i had experienced from the 103r-based 103sa. Maybe my SUT likes this cartridge load better, too.
I don't know, lots of variables.

I do know that the music is sounding very good as i listened to Howlin Wolf and now Otis Spann with Fleetwood Mac.

Any questions or comments welcome.
Cheers,
Cliff

WOStantonCS100
05-04-2011, 05:39
Shindo Labs!! Are you kidding me!! :respect: (I am not jealous. I am not jealous. I am not jealous. I am not jealous. "repeat ad nauseum")

The Grand Wazoo
05-04-2011, 07:02
That's nice Cliff.
The Otis Spann album definitely gets my approval too!

Cliff
05-04-2011, 07:53
:)I love Otis Spann's voice. That guy could sing, had real soul there.
And I can never get enough of vintage Peter Green.

Cliff

The Grand Wazoo
05-04-2011, 07:55
Exactly the reasons why I've loved this album since I was a teenager - I've never bored of it yet - brilliant!

Spectral Morn
05-04-2011, 10:36
Very nice looking and I bet sounding system Cliff.

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Regards D S D L

Cliff
08-04-2011, 10:03
Thanks, DSDL.
Testing signature.
Cliff