PDA

View Full Version : any one know these amps?

SPS
24-01-2011, 20:16
Hi all

I have a pair of monoblock power amps, no makers names

but i was told the following..

they where made by someone who wrote in one of the hi fi mags

I dont think they are one off's, as they have dedicated circut boards etc

they are all balanced but i was told they have been converted from phono connections... but that could be wrong
i would guess they are from the 90's

any one know these ??

Rare Bird
24-01-2011, 20:25
They don't look like 90's PCB's, i'd have thought more like 80's boards, i see IC's!

Effem
24-01-2011, 20:44
I would say late 80's than the 90's.

Everything in there is pretty much generic and the PCB could even be part of a kit. Nothing special or unique about the case either as far as I can see and don't rule out the pro audio market either

SPS
24-01-2011, 21:01
thanks so far, pro audio has been my thoughts too.

the transistors are 2 of each SM3159 and SM3160, the caps are dated 87, so your not far off Andre.

i've checked out crimson on the net, the boards should be marked up with a number.. these have no numbers at all..so not much to go on

cheers
steve

Rare Bird
26-01-2011, 13:02
thanks so far, pro audio has been my thoughts too.

the transistors are 2 of each SM3159 and SM3160, the caps are dated 87, so your not far off Andre.

i've checked out crimson on the net, the boards should be marked up with a number.. these have no numbers at all..so not much to go on

cheers
steve

Steve:do you have any hig res shots of the PCB's ? Any numbers may be in solder on the track side!

Semelab (Transistors) are a Leicestershire outfit, why i seem to have Quantum Electronics in my head for some reason being also from there..

Welder
26-01-2011, 18:32
Andre asked me if I had any pics of the inside of my Quantum 207’s.
I don’t, but I’ve had a look and while there is some similarity in the boards I don’t think they’re Quantum.
Next best guess is Crimson amps but it is a guess.

Reid Malenfant
26-01-2011, 19:09
SM3159 and SM3160
Those are very high quality 200W TO3 transistors & i sure don't think they'd be stuffed into any PA or pro equipment as they are very expensive!. Whatever it is you have there is looking to be pretty interesting ;)

I wish i had a few boxes of them :eyebrows:

hifi_dave
27-01-2011, 12:27
They don't look like any Quantum amps we had. The Quantums never had substantial fascias or grab handles for a start. As for Crimson, I believe they were all deeper than wider, with heatsinks on the frront.

SPS
27-01-2011, 14:04
Those are very high quality 200W TO3 transistors & i sure don't think they'd be stuffed into any PA or pro equipment as they are very expensive!. Whatever it is you have there is looking to be pretty interesting ;)

I wish i had a few boxes of them :eyebrows:

thanks for that... it sounds like i will have to get some interconnects made up and give them a go,
they came with a gemini pre, which is not the last word in sound quality, but it has has the balanced connectors... i know that will spoil the sound as i plugged in into my system... it was like throwing a quite few blankets over the speakers.

they guy i got them off really raved about them.. i didn't acually believe him

all... thanks for your time

SPS
27-01-2011, 19:33
Steve:do you have any hig res shots of the PCB's ? Any numbers may be in solder on the track side!

Semelab (Transistors) are a Leicestershire outfit, why i seem to have Quantum Electronics in my head for some reason being also from there..

I looked inder the boards with a mirror and torch... no sign of any numbers

my camera is crap.. but here's a couple of pics of the board...

thanks...

Rare Bird
29-01-2011, 12:55
They don't look like any Quantum amps we had. The Quantums never had substantial fascias or grab handles for a start. As for Crimson, I believe they were all deeper than wider, with heatsinks on the frront.

Dave your misunderstanding im were not refering to the casework .

Puffin
29-01-2011, 13:58
Are they Naimless?

SPS
29-01-2011, 17:31
Are they Naimless?

nice one....
thats a good name for them