PDA

View Full Version : Proac used prices?

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 17:45
I'm looking for a really small pair of speakers that sound big i'm after detail aswell, something that really shines at low level listerning.They need to be used as i don't wanna pay a lot! Out of all the speakers i've owned i've never actually owned a pair of Proacs! 'Super Tablets' maybe? Always fancied a pair & i think nows my chance, high quality cabinetry is very important, another attraction with em...So how much roughly chaps?

Using em with Onix 'OA21s'/'SOAP'.

colinB
23-01-2011, 17:55
I used to own tablette 8 signatures which i miss because they looked so dam cool. They did need some power to get them going though. Low level listening wasnt so enjoyable i found.

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 18:03
I used to own tablette 8 signatures which i miss because they looked so dam cool. They did need some power to get them going though. Low level listening wasnt so enjoyable i found.

few reasons i bought so many Castle Acoustics speakers is the cabinetry was good, the company were a stones throw from me & they sounded good at low level, but i don't know what castles are like these days! Something that sounds like Kef Cresta but with nicer cabs would suit me down to the ground

colinB
23-01-2011, 18:11
You will probably know Andre that Peter Comeau works for them now.
I think Castles have the classy looks of a Bentley where as Pro ac are the Subaru s of the Hi Fi world.
Sorry but i do tend to buy Hi Fi like women buy cars. If they look good i want one.

colinB
23-01-2011, 18:14
If you are passing a WH Smiths have a look at this months What hi fi.
They have the new castle knights in review and the new Kef q300.

DSJR
23-01-2011, 20:33
ProAcs should be two thirds the prices they fetch because you don't get midrange from them. the Tablette 8 Sigs had an 11db midrange dip, which is huge and totally non "HiFi" if truthful reproduction is the aim.

those KEF Cresta's (and floor standing Concerto's) were horrid, with nasty wiring, drive units, crossovers all dressed up in a nice box for the BADA dealers - ugghh! KEF's RDM series were tons better and not much more expensive, from memory.

colinB
23-01-2011, 20:45
I bought the sig 8s because everyone went on about their 3 dimensional electrostatic midrange but in my system they sounded very unruly.
Pity, they were so dammed cute.

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 22:25
ProAcs should be two thirds the prices they fetch because you don't get midrange from them. the Tablette 8 Sigs had an 11db midrange dip, which is huge and totally non "HiFi" if truthful reproduction is the aim.

those KEF Cresta's (and floor standing Concerto's) were horrid, with nasty wiring, drive units, crossovers all dressed up in a nice box for the BADA dealers - ugghh! KEF's RDM series were tons better and not much more expensive, from memory.

Dave i dont want the Kef 'Cresta' i want a pair of small speakers that sound like em but high quality without forking out

colinB
23-01-2011, 22:52
With the risk of falling out with everyone, AVI neutron 5s $400 new.
Dave , help?

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 22:56
With the risk of falling out with everyone, AVI neutron 5s $400 new.
Dave , help?

s'ok i have considered them

colinB
24-01-2011, 16:56
Nice pair of cyrus speakers with stands on e bay. Reasonable cabinet size with big drivers. Pick up only though near Kiddeminster.

diceman
24-01-2011, 17:22
ProAcs don't do mid-range?? An unusual statement IMHO. Having owned 4 pairs I would dissagree.
Tablette had lovely mid-range - in small room these can really boogie and served me very well in my student days.
Studio 1 Mk2 was a little mid range light and whilst the bass was much more plentifull than the tablettes I never got on with these 100%.
Response 1 (very early version) was lovely in mid and had a bit more bass than tablette. Better top end too by a small margin.
I currently have Mini Towers that are essentially a tablette with extra bass driver and are a mini floor stander with mass loaded base of cabinet. Basically tablettes with knobs on :-) Higher SPL capability and slightly more bass. Again ideal for smallish rooms and IMHO lovely mid-range.

Rare Bird
24-01-2011, 17:43
Hi jp
i'll be using these in the spare room which is very small, i could never use modern gear in my main system :lolsign:

colinB
24-01-2011, 17:43
I would agree with the description of the Tablette midrange. I never got the amplification right although i have read discussions where owners have found the signature version which i owned , works better with valve amps. Dont know if thats true or not but i would like to give them another go.

hifi_dave
24-01-2011, 19:31
The ProAc Tablette has gone through many variations since it was first introduced in the early 80's. An older pair should be well within your price range.

For some years, the cabinets were made by Castle. That is the real Castle, not the Chinese company which has purchased the name...:doh: