PDA

View Full Version : SKY HD update has gubbed my PQ

pwood
22-01-2011, 13:17
There has been a recent update to many SKY HD boxes which adds the anytime + streaming ability for Skybroadband customers (not me then). I am on my second box after Thomson one died. My Pace was better in that is was far quieter when playing and recording and has not locked up anywhere near as often.

The other day I noticed the program guide screen was blowing my eyes out was so high in contract and less sharp than before. It seems I am not alone and there are a lot of pissed of HD owners stating the PQ is worse. For some reason under the new update SKY has removed the contrast HIGH/MED/LOW function and seems to have set the box to retina destroy mode.

Adjusting my picture settings is not something i want to do as it then wrecks the blue ray picture:steam:

So if any of you HD owners have been thinking about a visit to specsavers its maybe not your eyes after all.

I'll be calling SKY about this as it seems they know about the issue albeit it depends if the call taker I get has been kept in the loop.

Reid Malenfant
22-01-2011, 13:21
Hi Paul, i'm assuming you are using a different HDMI connector on your TV for the sky box? If so you should be able to alter the picture on each input as most TVs have independant settings for each :)

Ali Tait
22-01-2011, 14:01
Paul, my other half works for Sky and I just showed her your post. She says there will be a new software download beginning next week which will have all the tweaks for the new EPG, so this function should be restored.

prestonchipfryer
22-01-2011, 14:33
Apart from sport, what is there to see on Sky TV, in fact any TV channel? It's all garbage. :sofa:

Ali Tait
22-01-2011, 14:36
Lots of interesting stuff on Discovery etc. But you're right, there is a lot of rubbish.

prestonchipfryer
22-01-2011, 14:39
Yeah, some good stuff on there I suppose. Only Fools and Horses (surely done to death now?)! :bike:

dantheman91
22-01-2011, 17:01
Yeah, some good stuff on there I suppose. Only Fools and Horses (surely done to death now?)! :bike:

Hi

True but OFAH never gets old and it always cheers me up if im a bad mood juust about to go a watch the JBO on DvD

Dan

prestonchipfryer
22-01-2011, 18:46
Father Ted always makes me laugh. :rofl:

pwood
22-01-2011, 19:12
Hi Paul, i'm assuming you are using a different HDMI connector on your TV for the sky box? If so you should be able to alter the picture on each input as most TVs have independant settings for each :)

Not My Panasonic G10. I would have to use a different setting ie Cinema instead of Normal but normal looks better on my set after much checking with DVE.

I used to have my Sky box into my Onkyo 875 and only one HDMI out to the TV but found it easier(faster) to use with the Sky box direct to the TV. I used to upscale the picture using the amps REON processor but the PACE box refused set its self to AUTO unless the amp was set to passthrough which meant it was scaling an upscaled picture when watching SD stuff adding artifacts and not worth the hassle.

pwood
22-01-2011, 19:20
Paul, my other half works for Sky and I just showed her your post. She says there will be a new software download beginning next week which will have all the tweaks for the new EPG, so this function should be restored.

Ali, Thanks for that.

Reid Malenfant
22-01-2011, 19:27
Not My Panasonic G10. I would have to use a different setting ie Cinema instead of Normal but normal looks better on my set after much checking with DVE.
Ah, bit of a pita that :rolleyes: At least you should be back to normality soon enough with new updates, so with a bit of patience you'll be ok soon enough :)

Just a good excuse to listen to music or watch a film :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
23-01-2011, 00:42
My sky box is nackered at the minute the HD does not work nor does the standbye.

However it still works for watching tv programs so it will use it till it dies.

Regards D S D L

s70rmp
23-01-2011, 11:01
if you have SKY HD have a look at the new stuff on anytime, there's a 2 minute update on whats going to happen 1st feb
for HD customers ch 106 sky one and ch170 sky on HD will be come one and be sky one HD ch 106 and so on with the other HD channels.

pwood
06-02-2011, 11:55
Well no update and technical did not know there was one being worked on when I called Sky the other day. as my PACE box has been reliable I declined the usual £60 odd call out box swap in case i got one that crashed umpteen times. I'll wait it out for a bit as the picture is watchable just not as good as before.

Ali as ever the Fife (I think it was the Dunfermline call centre) staff were very professional and as helpful as ever. It must grate that Sky+ & HD boxes are so badly built.

Covenant
06-02-2011, 19:09
Just a point about faults on Sky boxes. A lot of problems relate to the power supply which has poor quality capacitors installed, they overheat and go tits up.
You can buy a replacement power supply board for about £40 which has MUCH better caps, is easy to fit and improves things all round, it has a two year guarantee. I read about it on the 'Wam and was very chuffed to fit it myself and not buy a recon box of Sky with a 3 months guarantee.
If anyone needs a link I will see if I can find it.

Ali Tait
06-02-2011, 19:36
Well no update and technical did not know there was one being worked on when I called Sky the other day. as my PACE box has been reliable I declined the usual £60 odd call out box swap in case i got one that crashed umpteen times. I'll wait it out for a bit as the picture is watchable just not as good as before.

Ali as ever the Fife (I think it was the Dunfermline call centre) staff were very professional and as helpful as ever. It must grate that Sky+ & HD boxes are so badly built.

There are two types of box-PVR4 and PVR 5 apparently. If you have a 4, they have not yet been updated. Ours has not yet been done, so we can't yet get anytime+. Can't tell you when, she just says they are "rolling it out".

pwood
07-02-2011, 11:44
Thank your wife from me Ali as long as it will be updated I can wait. Why technical (Mumbai?) were not aware of this is a beyond me.

Covenant I think this is the company you are refering to SATCURE (http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm). The thing that put me off with my Thomson that died last year was the fact it was 3 years old and the hard disk was rather loud as was the fan so wanted rid of the machine anyway. The Pace box I have is so much quieter.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 11:51
if you have SKY HD have a look at the new stuff on anytime, there's a 2 minute update on whats going to happen 1st feb
for HD customers ch 106 sky one and ch170 sky on HD will be come one and be sky one HD ch 106 and so on with the other HD channels.

As a general point...

Turn off Sky Anytime...unless you want your hard drive to wear out!!!

I'll pick the shows I want to watch...not sky peddling their tawdry wears ;)

Ali Tait
07-02-2011, 13:49
Thank your wife from me Ali as long as it will be updated I can wait. Why technical (Mumbai?) were not aware of this is a beyond me.

Covenant I think this is the company you are refering to SATCURE (http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm). The thing that put me off with my Thomson that died last year was the fact it was 3 years old and the hard disk was rather loud as was the fan so wanted rid of the machine anyway. The Pace box I have is so much quieter.

Will do. I'll post if she gets any more info.

Ali Tait
07-02-2011, 13:51
As a general point...

Turn off Sky Anytime...unless you want your hard drive to wear out!!!

I'll pick the shows I want to watch...not sky peddling their tawdry wears ;)

Haven't got it yet so I don't know what's on there, but I used to use Virgin's similar service quite a lot when I had cable for things like whole series of Sopranos etc. Found it very handy.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 13:59
It's their way of pushing shows...but the main issue is that it's constantly stressing the HD, so will shorten its life, not so bad if you actually use anytime, but rubbish if you don't.

And I can never use that portion of the drive for myself!!!! Curse you Murdoch :steam:

Given that you can record the series of your choice with one button anyway I struggle to see the point...but then I'm just a bit grumpy ;)

pwood
07-02-2011, 14:04
I turned anytime off as dont sub to most of the stuff it records and dont see it helping the life of the HD either. More importantly I have turned of rewind live TV as well as that is even more heavy on HD. If there is a specific program ie a Scotland Rugby match I turn it on. Did the same with my PACE box. You could argue I am not getting full use of my box I suppose but the ticking of the box recording constantly is annoying even if the PACE is far quieter.

Mark Grant
07-02-2011, 14:22
It must grate that Sky+ & HD boxes are so badly built.

Designed to be 'adequate' then built by the lowest bidder most likely :eek:

Certainly worth getting a decent PSU for it, some people reoprt picture improvements with a decent PSU :)

Ali Tait
07-02-2011, 14:22
Yep, can't argue with that, though sky will give you cover on the box for a few quid a month, not sure how much but it's not a lot. There is also a 1Tb version. Not sure if it's available to the general public yet. It'll cost you £200 though.

Covenant
07-02-2011, 14:25

Thats the one. Well worth remembering for the future.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 14:28
Yep, can't argue with that, though sky will give you cover on the box for a few quid a month, not sure how much but it's not a lot. There is also a 1Tb version. Not sure if it's available to the general public yet. It'll cost you £200 though.

You can always upgrade it yourself by fitting a new cheap SATA drive...

http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/forum/index.php

...this is also good for getting recorded programs off the disk too :)

Ali Tait
07-02-2011, 16:05
Cheers Will, I'll look into that.