PDA

View Full Version : FS: Krell KSA50 Mk1 power amp

jandl100
07-08-2008, 10:17
Vintage original Krell KSA50 - some say this is the best sounding Krell ever.

£700.

Excellent condition for age and works A1.

Will drive pretty much anything. :smoking:

Recent service (with receipt) - very clean inside.

Fan cooled so it doesn't weigh a ton! :)

Buyer collects (Gloucestershire GL17) or we may be able to meet up.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/KrellKSA50front.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Krellinnards-1.jpg

thrunobulaxx
07-08-2008, 10:27
That didn`t last long, whats the longest serving piece of kit you have Jerry ?:lolsign:

jandl100
07-08-2008, 10:47
I've had the Krell a few months I guess, and if I hadn't been seduced (again!) by the wonder of valves (and now have speakers that can make unconstrained use of their limited output capability!) then I would defo be hanging on to this.

But it takes up a lot of real estate and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with my new Leak Stereo 20 and my Chi-Fi OTL monoblocks, and with my easy-to-drive SD1 speakers I really don't need or use the Krell anymore.

My longest lasting component currently in my main system? ...... errr, let's have a look (peers at hifi shelves) ..... probably the re-clocked Teac T1 CDT that I think I bought about 10 months ago! Most of the rest is much more recent. :)

The Grand Wazoo
09-08-2008, 10:28
Great to see you're getting on well with the SD1's

You might like what you hear if you try bi / tri- amping them with your various amps.
You should try all possible combinations - I'm quietly confident that the Krell on the bass/treble, the Leak on the mid might just be astounding!!

Gain matching can be tricky, but a passive between the pre & the one with the higher gain will give you some idea of what's possible.

Gotta be worth a go

jandl100
11-08-2008, 07:28
Hi GW - yes, the SD1's are fabulous speakers, I'm really happy with them!

They are a nice & easy drive for my new Leak Stereo 20 valve and, tbh, whilst the Krell is a mighty fine amp, the Leak does beat it on sound quality by a small increment at least, in every respect. So, no, I really don't see the need to go the 'hybrid' route you suggest, especially as any attempt at gain matching is bound to result in a 'tone control' of some sort.

Given a less easy-to-drive speaker load, though - or a louder sound than I need, or bigger room than I have - I am sure that the Krell would come into its own.

The Krell is now on eBay, btw .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250280849488&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015 ;)

StanleyB
11-08-2008, 11:37
Hi GW - yes, the SD1's are fabulous speakers, I'm really happy with them!

Famous last words, as many a football manager can tell you;).

jandl100
11-08-2008, 17:16
Famous last words, as many a football manager can tell you;).

Well, no loudspeaker lasts forever chez-Jerry - in fact, many last only a few days before I decide to move 'em on :smoking: - but I can well imagine the SD1's lasting 6-12 months, maybe more. They really are very fine indeed. Perhaps if another interesting ribbon hybrid speaker come along I might be tempted though ;).