PDA

View Full Version : Michell Teknoarm

MCRU
21-01-2011, 10:38
Just received the Michell arm and mighty fine it looks too. I don't know what to do with it now though, will it perform better than my RB300 (I have read all about the Michell being a super-charged RB250) on my Techie with the Nagoaka MP150 I am using or should I put it on the Garrard 401 providing I manage to get one!

Thanks

Wakefield Turntables
21-01-2011, 11:32
Just received the Michell arm and mighty fine it looks too. I don't know what to do with it now though, will it perform better than my RB300 (I have read all about the Michell being a super-charged RB250) on my Techie with the Nagoaka MP150 I am using or should I put it on the Garrard 401 providing I manage to get one!

Thanks

In a nutshell it will blow the RB300 away into the dust! I had exactly the same combination as yourself up until one month ago and I loved it, I moved over to the SME V which for my taste in music (extreme heavy metal :guitar::fingers:) works wonders! Why not live with the 1210 and the technoarm combination for a few months, learn how it sounds and then make a decision about plonking it onto a 401 :scratch:

MCRU
21-01-2011, 13:20
Good idea thanks.

Wakefield Turntables
21-01-2011, 15:42
Just to add another comment, the technoarm has pure silver intrinsic wiring, i got Michelle to terminate this into some eichmann silver bullet RCA's. Now this worked extremely good but you can get very high screeching treble if your not careful so if you want to experiment with anything which is even has a hint of silver (interconnects / speaker cable) try silver plated copper as this will not be quite so harsh. But I think you'll have an excellent deck. The technoarm like the SME V also has baerworld aligment built in I think which means you dont have to mess around with aligning the cartridge but the VTA can still be a complete sod so if your arm dosent sound quite right make sure you check all your alignments. Gimme an email if your still stuck with anything :cool:

hifi_dave
21-01-2011, 19:44
The Tecnoarm is a mod'd RB250, so it has the same geometry as all Rega arms. Why do you say that "you don't have to mess around with aligning the cartridge" ?

MCRU
21-01-2011, 20:18
Fitted the arm just now, I sold my last Oyaide mat to a friend which was the one I was using so I have the blue horizon mat on at the moment, all I can say is how can it sound any better than it does now! I was gobsmacked how much better the Michell arm sounds, my favourite 12" single which has just been cleaned by Marco sounded brilliant 2 days ago, it sounds even better now and that is without my trusty Oyaide mat!

I immediately heard instruments in the mix I have never heard before, this has got me going now, I am going to fit a better mains lead to the PSU and put a better fuse in to see if that improves things still further, I did try an Isoclean fuse but it did not alter things as much as I expected so a hi-fi tuning one is on the way. Got a DC plug the other day so went and found some kimber cable in the garage so that is on the cards too for the PSU.

Thanks to Martin for the arm, a true gent.

MartinT
21-01-2011, 22:49
Thanks to Martin for the arm, a true gent.

Glad it's cutting the sonic mustard for you ;)

Alex_UK
22-01-2011, 07:52
Glad it's cutting the sonic mustard for you ;)

Oooh, that sounds good, where can I get some of that? Presume you just rub it on the record? Does it work for CD too? ;) (I bet some crank will start selling it now, get it trademarked quick Martin!)

MartinT
22-01-2011, 11:06
It's called Vaseline, but I don't recommend it for CDs ;)

MartinT
22-01-2011, 11:10
Actually, I like that. Sonic Mustard on eBay for £25 per capsule. Behind-the-scenes ladling of Vaseline into tiny plastic holders...

DSJR
22-01-2011, 12:39
After all the comments suggesting NOT to put a Rega RB clone on a Techie and what does he do????? :)

The teknoarm does seem to be the best sorted (for general use) of all the Rega bodge-jobs, but if you have an RB300 but can't afford an SME, then I've been told by two trusted sources now that a re-wire for the 300 really is the way to go

(apologies if I doubted it, but Rega assured me that the *internal* wires are of high quality - I suspect the external wires aren't tightly enough screened as it appears to be a loose spiral wrap)

By the way, rega use 60mm from disc centre as the inner null point still. Linn, SME (nowadays) and I think Jelco, use 65 or 66mm from disc centre as theirs. The outer point is less critical I feel still, as end of side is where the worst audible problems can occur.

MCRU
22-01-2011, 13:04
After all the comments suggesting NOT to put a Rega RB clone on a Techie and what does he do????? :)

For £150 it was worth it just to see and hear the difference boss, better or worse and it was better so a result for me anyway...:)

I have 2 major options in the pipeline at the moment, get a Jelco as there is one coming up for sale that I know about, 2nd get an SME 309 as I am currently looking for one unless someone has a better idea?

Thanks for the input BTW.

MartinT
23-01-2011, 11:26
David - do you mean a Jelco 750D? I don't think a 250ST will represent much of an improvement over the TecnoArm.