PDA

View Full Version : The search is over

jantheman
19-01-2011, 12:52
Finally, after many months, I have finally aquired a DAC to complete my setup. No, honestly, it's done and nothing will be replaced unless it breaks.
I am fortunate to have great mates, one of which took time out on Saturday to drive me 70 miles to a dealer who, after visiting their website, had a few 'nice' dacs that I was interested in listening to. Half an hour and a nice cup of coffee later, my bank balance had taken the hit and I left the shop with a little brown box under my arm, and, as my mate noticed, a cheesy grin right across my face. It's still there by the way.
I have been posting here about Dacs for a while and have recieved masses of help not only from normal members but also from trade members. I would especially like to thank them for their assistance in offering to provide home demos.
So, what did I get...I'll telll you in a minute....but before I do I will say that I broke an agreement. I didnt have any intention of spending more than 1K. That was my budget which I had agreed with SWMBO. It didn't take long after entering the shop for that to vapourise. Kids in a sweet shop syndrome kicked in within seconds after entering the door. By the time I had decided on what I wanted I was starting to think I was going to be in for it when I got home. Luckily enough, I managed to sweet talk her around by offering to take her out for a bag of chips. You see, romance isn't dead.
So....as I write there is a shiny black box on my rack playing some Melody Gardot. Sweeeeet. I am waiting for a couple of XLR balanced cables from Mark Grant, at the moment it's connected with Mark's G1000HD but I just want to try the balanced to see what all the fuss is about. If all is well I can then use the RCA output direct into my headphone amp and the XLR into the pre.
Have I forgotten anything....Oh yes. It's a Simaudio 300D and I love it. With about 25 hrs on it and a quoted burn in time of some 400 hours, I have the pleasure of listning to it just getting better and better. Am I happy, .......as a dog wih 2 d1cks.

Welder
19-01-2011, 13:23
Which Dac did you have before Ray?
I read on Moons site they don’t rate USB for exactly the same reasons others don’t rate SPDIF. I assume you use SPDIF.
If you could rate by percentage the improvement with this Dac over your last Dac what would that percentage improvement be?

Always interested in a realistic and meaningful comparison.

WAD62
19-01-2011, 13:32
Which Dac did you have before Ray?
I read on Moons site they don’t rate USB for exactly the same reasons others don’t rate SPDIF. I assume you use SPDIF.
If you could rate by percentage the improvement with this Dac over your last Dac what would that percentage improvement be?

Always interested in a realistic and meaningful comparison.

From their own statements the USB is merely there for convenience, they even recommend a USB/SPDIF converter if you're serious about using it (hiface springs to mind).

Good quality from a USB is a real can of asynchronous worms...;)

HighFidelityGuy
19-01-2011, 13:46
Wow, 30 minutes, that was quick. The last time I went to a dealer's to audition some gear I was there for 4 hours and didn't buy anything. :lol:

Just out of interest what other DAC's did you audition? :)

jantheman
19-01-2011, 14:08
Up to now I have been using a MF VDAC. I did have a Violectric 800 for a week or so but returned it because the toslink input was busted. Lost confidence in the seller but the Dac was nice. The Moon is a step up again.

I'm using S/Pdif from Xonar soundcard. I have a HiFace as well and will give that a go when there are few more hours on it.

As far as the review was concerned, I heard it against its smaller brother the 100D. There were others to try, BelCanto, Heed, Electrocompaniet. I discounted the BC as they all had too much on them that I didnt need, pre / headphone amp. Dont see the point in paying for something I already have. The Heed is a NOS dac. Sounds good for what it is. Didnt try the Electrocompaniet. The difference between DAC's is as others have reported....not as big as you would expect from the price difference. Although going up in price some 6 /7 times really does make a huge difference. Percentage difference...dont know but its a whole heap better and worth the cost.
What hit the button for me with the moon was the PSU and the XLR outs. The PSU is very good...built in wth 8 reg stages and a huge cap bank. Common practice wth wall warts is to upgrade them at sometimes substantial costs...not an issue here. Awaiting some XLR cable from MG then will wire up as already said.

magiccarpetride
19-01-2011, 19:53
Finally, after many months, I have finally aquired a DAC to complete my setup. No, honestly, it's done and nothing will be replaced unless it breaks.
I am fortunate to have great mates, one of which took time out on Saturday to drive me 70 miles to a dealer who, after visiting their website, had a few 'nice' dacs that I was interested in listening to. Half an hour and a nice cup of coffee later, my bank balance had taken the hit and I left the shop with a little brown box under my arm, and, as my mate noticed, a cheesy grin right across my face. It's still there by the way.
I have been posting here about Dacs for a while and have recieved masses of help not only from normal members but also from trade members. I would especially like to thank them for their assistance in offering to provide home demos.
So, what did I get...I'll telll you in a minute....but before I do I will say that I broke an agreement. I didnt have any intention of spending more than 1K. That was my budget which I had agreed with SWMBO. It didn't take long after entering the shop for that to vapourise. Kids in a sweet shop syndrome kicked in within seconds after entering the door. By the time I had decided on what I wanted I was starting to think I was going to be in for it when I got home. Luckily enough, I managed to sweet talk her around by offering to take her out for a bag of chips. You see, romance isn't dead.
So....as I write there is a shiny black box on my rack playing some Melody Gardot. Sweeeeet. I am waiting for a couple of XLR balanced cables from Mark Grant, at the moment it's connected with Mark's G1000HD but I just want to try the balanced to see what all the fuss is about. If all is well I can then use the RCA output direct into my headphone amp and the XLR into the pre.
Have I forgotten anything....Oh yes. It's a Simaudio 300D and I love it. With about 25 hrs on it and a quoted burn in time of some 400 hours, I have the pleasure of listning to it just getting better and better. Am I happy, .......as a dog wih 2 d1cks.

Not sure what were you alluding to with 'Kids in a sweatshop syndrome'?

jantheman
19-01-2011, 20:00
Not sure what were you alluding to with 'Kids in a sweatshop syndrome'?
Ha!...having a quick look at your profile and seeing you're from Canada I will take the time to answer. If anyone from the UK was asking I would think they were trying to take the p1$$.
I'ts a common English expression that basically means......I want, I want, I want. (everything I can see).

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 20:04
Oh by the way, there is a huge difference between a sweat shop & a sweet shop :eyebrows:

I believe the OP got it right...

jantheman
19-01-2011, 20:06
Oh by the way, there is a huge difference between a sweat shop & a sweet shop :eyebrows:

I believe the OP got it right...
Haha...I didnt notice that...:lolsign: Well spotted Mark....

magiccarpetride
19-01-2011, 20:34
Haha...I didnt notice that...:lolsign: Well spotted Mark....

I was being facetious. Just taking the mickey out of you... it's a Canadian thing...

jantheman
19-01-2011, 20:43
I knew I shouldnt have bothered.......

magiccarpetride
19-01-2011, 21:33
I knew I shouldnt have bothered.......

There's more than enough poor kids slaving in countless sweatshops worldwide already. I'm hoping your DAC wasn't built using that same sweatshop 'technology'.

audio39
19-01-2011, 22:32
Hey jantheman,

Congats on your purchase and subsequent elation.

I've asked this of you in another thread...but your avatar, is that your Staffie?

Rick.

jantheman
20-01-2011, 08:48
Hey jantheman,

Congats on your purchase and subsequent elation.

I've asked this of you in another thread...but your avatar, is that your Staffie?

Rick.
Yep, Thats my little girl. Coming up for 10 soon and looking a little greyer round the chops these days.:lolsign:

jantheman
20-01-2011, 08:49
There's more than enough poor kids slaving in countless sweatshops worldwide already. I'm hoping your DAC wasn't built using that same sweatshop 'technology'.
As Simaudio is a Canadian company, you should be able to answer that better than me.

audio39
20-01-2011, 12:49
Yep, Thats my little girl. Coming up for 10 soon and looking a little greyer round the chops these days.:lolsign:

Wonderful dogs, great pets!

We owned English Bull Terriers exclusively for over twenty years, a kids best friend for sure...endless energy and impossible to harm.

Just 2 years ago our last Bully passed on and we decided to make a Bull Mastiff a member of the family, he's a beautiful pet...but he's not a Bully...albeit, far less energy and he almost looks after himself.

I love all the Bull Terriers, and I have made the Wife aware that I will have another before my time is due.

Awesome looking Staffie you have there.

Rick.

jantheman
20-01-2011, 13:14
Thanks for the comments Rick. This little Madam has been an absolute pleasure to own. We call her a 'love sponge'....she will soak up as much as you give her. She aint greedy though, she shares it all out again. She has earned and repayed her place in our lives a thousand times over. She keeps us active and gets us out of the house for her 'walkies'. Unfortunately, I dont get out with her as much as I would like but the missus gives her long walks 4/5 times a day. She's still impossible to tire out though...
Just for fun.....
So what did you get the love of your life for valentines day.
A box of Bonio's.
You bought your wife a box of Bonio's for Valentines day.
Nope, I didn't buy the wife anything, but that wasn't the question was it.

Funny but absoulutely true....:lolsign:

jbloggs
20-01-2011, 15:27
Hi Ray,

Glad you have got yourself a DAC that you're happy with...looks good, I'm sure it makes nice music! ;)

jantheman
20-01-2011, 15:33
Thanks Alister. The hours are slowly creeping up and it's getting better and better. Yes, it makes great music, which, after all, is what it's all about. Yep, I'm one happy puppy.

magiccarpetride
20-01-2011, 18:49
As Simaudio is a Canadian company, you should be able to answer that better than me.

That wasn't a question, just a glimmer of hope...