PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Buckley albums worth getting

Canetoad
18-01-2011, 10:34
I have a copy of Grace and was wondering if there is any other material by Jeff that is worth getting? Live recordings? Studio recordings of material for his 2nd album?:)

chris@panteg
18-01-2011, 10:44
' So Real ' is a compilation of his best stuff with some great live numbers .

If you read the sleeve notes the mastering was done with some care ! and it does sound very good indeed .

Canetoad
18-01-2011, 11:48
Thanks Chris. :)

Alex_UK
18-01-2011, 13:29
I think they have recycled just about everything he ever got onto tape including demos, and apparently he farted once in the recording booth and there are now plans to remaster and release that... (That's a joke, in case anyone takes me seriously - heaven forbid :lol:)

Have a look on Spotify (http://open.spotify.com/artist/3nnQpaTvKb5jCQabZefACI) for the dizzying array of versions - the only 2 I bothered with is Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk - the never finished 2nd album, and worth getting, the only live album I've got is Mystery White Boy which is apparently a compilation of live recordings that Buckley's mother Mary Guibert compiled from DAT recordings of his supporting tour for Grace, it's ok, but the newer ones may be better.

aquapiranha
18-01-2011, 13:34
As well as Grace, I have 'Mystery white Boy' which is a great CD.

'Mystery White Boy, culled from Jeff Buckley's eight-month world tour of the same name, is not just another live album blighted by whoops and catcalls. Such was the reverence granted the ill-starred singer-songwriter's electrifying confessionals that hardly a whimper issues from the audience in 78 minutes--not, at least, until each gargantuan heart-and-soul epic ends. Buckley treated music like it was Shakespearean tragedy, and that grandiosity makes the live "Grace" and "Mojo Pin" at least the equal of their recorded counterparts. The gems, though, are the cover versions found here--especially a closing nine-minute rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" that lurches into a whispered chorus of the Smiths' "I Know It's Over." Ultimately, this posthumous collection is utterly captivating. --Louis Pattison'

John
18-01-2011, 13:59
The ep collection is worth ago some great alternative takes and live material

Haselsh1
18-01-2011, 14:03
I think everything that could be done to Jeff Buckley has already been done. Seriously good music though.

The Grand Wazoo
18-01-2011, 18:23
I like the 'Live in Chicago' DVD - you may still be able to get it as a twofer with the 'Mystery White Boy' album. Great MC5 & Big Star covers - he did have a talent for choosing great tracks to do live covers of.