PDA

View Full Version : Linn Axis mods or upgrade?

Bonky
16-01-2011, 14:52
I have recently started to upgrade my kit. Although a recent convert to high-quality downloads, I still like the analogue sound of a good turntable. I had always thought that the axis was a poor-man's LP12, but, having read some of the comments here, I wonder if it's as good as I had always thought.

Are there any tweaks to be applied to the Axis to improve SQ (besides replacing the tone-arm)?

If not, what is the best mid-budget buy (max £500 - but a lot less if poss)?

I think I'd prefer a TT+arm combination (even though i still have much of the stylus alignment kit from earlier days of the Connoisseur deck + AT1005/2 arm - I'm sure that dates me!).

I'd use it not only for 'raw' listening but for ripping to flac.

Thanks,

Rich/Bonky

WAD62
16-01-2011, 15:07
I have recently started to upgrade my kit. Although a recent convert to high-quality downloads, I still like the analogue sound of a good turntable. I had always thought that the axis was a poor-man's LP12, but, having read some of the comments here, I wonder if it's as good as I had always thought.

Are there any tweaks to be applied to the Axis to improve SQ (besides replacing the tone-arm)?

If not, what is the best mid-budget buy (max £500 - but a lot less if poss)?

I think I'd prefer a TT+arm combination (even though i still have much of the stylus alignment kit from earlier days of the Connoisseur deck + AT1005/2 arm - I'm sure that dates me!).

I'd use it not only for 'raw' listening but for ripping to flac.

Thanks,

Rich/Bonky

I've had one since '89, and it's fine, but I think for the budget you have there will be many better alternatives.

The main problem is that the suspension 'diaphragm' isn't very robust, and that's usually knackered on older decks, so even getting it level can prove challenging.

The best upgrade I made to mine was fitting a Denon DL110, to the standard basic+ arm, massive improvement on the K9 that's usually found on them.

They're OK at the right price, perhaps £200 for a good one would be reasonable...:)

DSJR
16-01-2011, 16:21
For fear of offending you both above, may I suggest selling the Axis while it's still working and upgrading to summat like a Techie, or Goldring Lenco GL75, as a fettled latter, with original arm (new V blocks), springy Goldring plinth but fresh exit cabling to amp, absolutely trounced an Axis/Akito (K9 cartridges in both of 'em).

IMO, the Axis isn't anything like a poor mans LP12. It doesn't play tunes very well, can suffer various levels of feedback, the bass is mechanical rather than "analogue organic" and the soundfield was as flat as a pancake. It looked good though.... If the Basik Plus or Akito is still good (forget an LVX here), a better exit lead such as the Audio Origami one (or the Linn T cable if you can find a good used one for less than £130) will sweeten the pill and refine things somewhat. A different mat such as the Spacemat or one of the cheaper acrylic ones may also be considered to advantage I think.

HOWEVER!!!!!! These decks are twenty plus years old now, as stated above, the "glands" may be fatiguing now and the power supplies eat capacitors if the deck is left connected to the mains all the time and if you have a blow-up, Linn don't have replacements, although a repair may be possible.

hifi_dave
16-01-2011, 20:12
As above. We really struggled to sell the Axis when it was a current model and it had reliability problems.

satanfriendly
17-01-2011, 23:43
Depending how adept you are at rebuilds, you can actually make the Axis in to a very good deck. I never considered the Axis as being a poor mans LP12 because signature sonics were different. It's real failure was in flexibility and rather being tied to Linn arms.

I'll try post some pictures of a rebuild I made some years back and I can asure you the present Spanish owner rates it highly. It doesn't take much outside of some basic woodworking skills (or get someone else to do it for you).

Even in its basic form I'd consider it above the usual 1210 and G75's. Not a bad deck by any means and by nature I don't tend to like anything Linn.

Bonky
18-01-2011, 08:03
Depending how adept you are at rebuilds, you can actually make the Axis in to a very good deck. I never considered the Axis as being a poor mans LP12 because signature sonics were different. It's real failure was in flexibility and rather being tied to Linn arms.

I'll try post some pictures of a rebuild I made some years back and I can asure you the present Spanish owner rates it highly. It doesn't take much outside of some basic woodworking skills (or get someone else to do it for you).

Even in its basic form I'd consider it above the usual 1210 and G75's. Not a bad deck by any means and by nature I don't tend to like anything Linn.

That's very kind of you, thank you; I'll look forward to receiving the pics.

My deck (which I've had from new) has been permanently plugged into the mains and has never let me down - with the exception of those stupid hinges.

I've just come across a 'new', nearby, company called "Inspire". Does anyone have their i2 or Apollo turntables?

See: http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/inspirehifi/apollo.html

I have seen a sondeck with a Grado arm (no other details). What does anyone know of this arm?

Thanks,

Richard

The Grand Wazoo
18-01-2011, 17:58
I have seen a sondeck with a Grado arm (no other details). What does anyone know of this arm?

There was a Grado arm available in the mid-late 80's (I think) it was pretty unknown in the UK. There was a review of it in HFN/RR at the time at I seem to remember it was quite liked. For some reason which is beyond me, I distinctly remember the name of the article: 'Joe Throws a Curve' which referred to the shape of the tube. I still have it somewhere, but finding it may be a task requiring superhuman effort! I'll see what I can do for you.

WAD62
18-01-2011, 18:10

That would be great Chris...you're living up to your user name :)

I fear my suspension is not all it might be (the poor things been to America and back twice), but otherwise it's fine for my requirements, all new investment goes into digital playback these days... ;)

satanfriendly
19-01-2011, 09:10
Sorry the delay away from home for a while.

Basically a Beech plinth, 12mm MDF bottom plate, 10mm perspex top plate, dynamat lined and an AT1005 arm which is rather underated to say the least. Far removed from the original which despite being a little fan of the Axis always thought it suffered in a 'cost effective' finish. Slightly changed the dimensions so that it 'sat easier' on the eye as I do like proportional asthetics, hence why the speed selector is on the side as the cabling wouldn't reach the front.

End result? So much more dynamic and detailed. Surprised you have never disconnected from the mains because if anything I was always under the impression doing so was a sure way to shorten its life.

Anyway:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/Linn1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/Linn2back.jpg

Only tricky bit was getting the cooling fins and the power etc through the back of the plinth, otherwise relatively simple to re-build.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/AT003.jpg

Bonky
19-01-2011, 09:20
Hi, thanks; nice pictures. I'll start by taking the deck to bits - something I've never done before -to look at the gubbins underneath. Did you use the original suspension? The AT1005 takes me back (40 years!); I never new how to adjust the lateral bearings - some said leave loose, others didn't.

Presumably your design philosophy (besides improving the aesthetics) was to stiffen-up the whole assembly (?)

Thanks again,

BW

Richard

WAD62
19-01-2011, 09:29
End result? So much more dynamic and detailed. Surprised you have never disconnected from the mains because if anything I was always under the impression doing so was a sure way to shorten its life.

Cheers Chris,

Not quite sure whether you mean disconnecting, or being connected, will shorten its life...

Mine's been connected pretty much since '88 ;)

Nice 'rebuild' job, although a little beyond my abilities, did you do anything with the suspension? :)

satanfriendly
19-01-2011, 10:45
The idea was indeed to make a more rigid structure. I chose Beech because it is easy to work with and yet I thought (by guess work) it would not be too resonant. It seemed to work.

Never really touched the suspension as at the end of the day it is nothing more than three rubber/neoprene pillars supporting the top structure and not much to play with. I also added some stiffening on the underside of the perspex top plate.

I wanted to seperate the PSU, but dismayed when I found the motor was connected to the same board. I believe they will come free, but only serves to add further complexity so I quit the idea.

I was always under the impression you should disconnect Axis' from the mains when you've fnished with your listening session. I used to have a switch mid-lead to save having to pull the plug. If yours has been there since 88 I'd leave it exactly as is. I used to have a MF amplifier I'd left on for some 6 years or so. Moved house, disconnected it and never worked since.

YNWaN
19-01-2011, 11:08
Hello Chris :) (nice job on the plinth)

I remember the axis well. If I were asked to improve one, I would remake the whole armboard/top-plate section out of something very light but stiff - my own choice would be carbon fibre skins over Nomex, or over rigid foam (I've tried acrylic and am not keen on it for arm termination). I would also replace the suspension - probably with cups and squash balls. I would also be tempted to buy an LP12 bearing and inner platter from e-bay.

satanfriendly
19-01-2011, 11:23
Nice to see you around YNWaN and anything you write I know is in good sound knowledge. Worth consideration should anyone wish to go down the same road of a rebuild. I do think going the way of the LP12 bearing and sub platter woud be a sensible route, but also think it would push the price up in to an area where one might want to consider a completely new deck when you see the prices they can raise on the likes of E-Bay.

I guess at the time I did what was the best possible with the materials I had to hand and could work with.

Did the new TT ever materialise?

WAD62
19-01-2011, 11:31
I was always under the impression you should disconnect Axis' from the mains when you've fnished with your listening session. I used to have a switch mid-lead to save having to pull the plug. If yours has been there since 88 I'd leave it exactly as is. I used to have a MF amplifier I'd left on for some 6 years or so. Moved house, disconnected it and never worked since.

I've read plenty reports of the Axis starting up of it's own accord, but this has never happened to me either, perhaps there was a power switch issue with some of the models. There were some theories that a surge would kick it off, who knows, I always use a surge protector so perhaps that's it.

Just to clarify I've not religiously kept it plugged in since 88 ;), as I said it's been to the US and back twice, however for normal day to day usage I leave it plugged in. I've taken to unplugging it when I go on holiday, but that's only since I read about these issues...so nothing it's done to me, just paranoia on my part...:)

DSJR
19-01-2011, 11:44

With respect sir, the Techie and GL75 in good working order would COMFORTABLY see an Axis off in a comparison. I can state this as a definite on the case of the GL75 'cos I've done it - these old Lenco's are really good you know and even the heavy old tonearms can be made to sing well, even if they look clumsy, as long as the exit cables at least are replaced. You just have to do the comparison, that's all :)

keiths
19-01-2011, 11:46
I've read plenty reports of the Axis starting up of it's own accord

Mine used to do that all the time. If there was ever a power-cut, when the power came back on it would start up (often at 45rpm).

Didn't seem to cause it any long-term damage though - I sold it on to a mate and it's still going strong.

DSJR
19-01-2011, 11:49
Sorry the delay away from home for a while.

Basically a Beech plinth, 12mm MDF bottom plate, 10mm perspex top plate, dynamat lined and an AT1005 arm which is rather underated to say the least. Far removed from the original which despite being a little fan of the Axis always thought it suffered in a 'cost effective' finish. Slightly changed the dimensions so that it 'sat easier' on the eye as I do like proportional asthetics, hence why the speed selector is on the side as the cabling wouldn't reach the front.

Anyway:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/Linn1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/Linn2back.jpg

Only tricky bit was getting the cooling fins and the power etc through the back of the plinth, otherwise relatively simple to re-build.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/iowajoey/AT003.jpg

Now THAT looks good, although it's not really an Axis now is it??? :lolsign:

Leaving the unit powered 24/7 really does shorten the life of the bigger caps, as they're never powered down. Any mains surges could cause near fatal (for the board) blow-ups (same with the Valhalla boards too) despite Linn fitting extra surge protection around the rectifier poles. These things don't take long to stabilise and as the platter is lightweight, I'd say to switch on and leave for fifteen minutes or so for the class A driver amps to stabilise.

YNWaN
19-01-2011, 14:06
Nice to see you around YNWaN and anything you write I know is in good sound knowledge. Worth consideration should anyone wish to go down the same road of a rebuild. I do think going the way of the LP12 bearing and sub platter woud be a sensible route, but also think it would push the price up in to an area where one might want to consider a completely new deck when you see the prices they can raise on the likes of E-Bay.

I guess at the time I did what was the best possible with the materials I had to hand and could work with.

Did the new TT ever materialise?

I completely accept what you are saying with regard to the bearing - I guess I was just thinking if a good price, second hand, one could be found.

I think you have done an excellent job with your Axis.

Bits of the 'new' TT have materialised. Unfortunately, a great deal of time has been spent pursuing alternative drive systems that have ultimately proved fruitless.

In addition, I have been rather sidetracked by design and production of the RubiKon chassis for the LP12 - first two full production items should be in my hands late Friday (at long last!)

satanfriendly
19-01-2011, 14:29
Thank you YNWaN. The Axis now lives and is regularly used in Spain by a VE member. My pride and joy still remains the PT and an upbeat RD110 I rebuilt. CF included. One Logic DM101 to go and that is it with rebuilds. I'm tending to concentrate more on my art at the moment and churning over going to live in Mexico.

Still remain loyal to the vinyl cause though.

With respect sir, the Techie and GL75 in good working order would COMFORTABLY see an Axis off in a comparison

Mmmmm? I may have different thoughts here having lived with both the mentioned in the past. Especially the techie, unless you're talking SP10.

Now THAT looks good, although it's not really an Axis now is it???

I think you are correct there my friend and thank you for the kind remark.

However I don't think it is that different to the Techies some own, by which time they've changed the bearing, the arm board, the arm, the platter, the feet, the motor, shoved a PSU in to the mix and thrown on a new mat remains to be the original item by any means. And probably cost the same as a decent (and superior) TT by the time they arrive there.

At least the basic guts remain the same in all respects

Still, guess the fun in making it 'arrive there' with the Techs.

DSJR
19-01-2011, 15:09
The standard techie is more in Rega 3 class I think and careful attention to the important bits does take it up a good few notches - and that's long before the collection of £500 upgrades which claim to lift it into a different league (history repeating - the Linn/Naim upgrade chains of the 1980's were all £500 each or thereabouts ;)).

Having owned and used so many Lenco's over the last 40 years I must confess to a huge affection for it. If you use the Linn "tune dem" ideal, the GL75 and 78 have a wonderful way with it and the bass is powerful yet articulate in the way that idler drives seem to have. I sold my last GL75 to Rob Holt last year (I still retain the plinth though) and hope he's been able to clean and restore it to a high standard, especially as although he gave me a very good price for it, it's now doubled in value since :scratch:

Forgive my negatives on the longevity (or otherwise) of the Axis supply board, but I've seen too many knackered ones in my time. If the standard board is working fine, yet elderly now, I still recommend replacing the large caps on the board for safety's sake.

satanfriendly
20-01-2011, 13:19
I agree entirely with your statement with reference to the Axis PSU. Like I said to ensure a 'longer' life just make sure you disconnect from the mains when finished with listening.

In its basic form it is a 'good' turntable, but unfortunately there is little tweaking to be gained other than a major rebuild. I've seen one with an Ittok which to me is a bit defeatist as I do tend to come from the 'old school' of turntable first, and in this case the arm far outclassed the deck.

I am not a great Techie fan by the way.

DSJR
20-01-2011, 14:38
Why don't you care for the techie? Have you ever owned or used one, or is it the remnants of Linn Indoctrination at work here :eyebrows:?

My current journey in vinyl lies well elsewhere at the moment, but I willingly agree that a tweaked techie is a beautifully made and, in its own way, beautiful thing indeed and Soooooooooo easy to use with little to no maintainance.

satanfriendly
20-01-2011, 15:13
I'd love to be able to say I'm a 'Linn freak'. but I can't. I actually detest the company and their products irrespective of how good they really are. I only bought the Axis becuase I fancied rebuilding something and at the time it was a nice cheap purchase as a donor.

Plus I'm actually a Pink Triangle man and it would be against my religion!

I also own an Ariston RD110 simply because of the kick to the goolies of Linn with the checkered history between the two company's and IT's underhandedness in the creation of the original Sondek.

I owned a Tech 1210 some years back and I can't say it floated my boat.

Beautiful? I hold my reservation on that.

In a nightclub sense of the word, okay. Have you seen the ghastly Technics in Harrods? Whoever dreamt that one up as being beautiful need their testicles removing.

If anything I can say they are robustly made and I understand why people like them. Unfortunately not me.

Rather unexciting if I recall correctly to my ears. I changed it for a Lux vacuum deck with a DD and now you are talking DD. If DD is a must then go between Luxman's and Micro seiki's and you can't go wrong.

Mr Pig
20-01-2011, 17:23
I would also be tempted to buy an LP12 bearing and inner platter from e-bay.

The chances of buying a decent one are not good. I've bought two LP12 bearings described as excellent condition which were worn out.

Would it not make sense to run the motor in the Axis off a good external power supply? That should provide an upgrade and take the questionable standard item out of the equation.

Remember that the platter on the Axis is lighter than the LP12 one too. If you do change the bearing you could use an LP12 platter on it. To be honest though I wouldn't go to the trouble of any of this, I'd just buy something else! ;0)

Ammonite Audio
20-01-2011, 17:57
I admit to being tempted to get a shagged Axis, then put a DC motor on it.

audio39
20-01-2011, 17:58
Here's a new angle...and my 2 cents.

If it were me (it's not of course), I would rid myself of the Linn entirely - that's the starting point.

I would seek out a Kenwood KD-600 or KD-650 direct drive. These are extremely musical tables with excellent drive and low frequency reproduction to rival any table I have ever heard.

The 600 will come without arm...then a nice AT, or perhaps an AC or Grace unipivot (very sweet).

Finding a 650, meaning the arm included, would also be a nice find. The original Kennie arm had VTA on the fly, and is suitable for any cartridge you may ever purchase.

Finally, these are very fine looking ultra reliable TT's...purely icing on the cake.

Rick.

satanfriendly
20-01-2011, 21:06
I am immensely jealous Ausio39, a Luxman PD300! Probably one of the best TT's ever, period.

Wish I'd never let mine go all those years back.

If you can find one shagged Shuggie and go DC motor I'm sure the end results would be pretty wonderful. The only issue being the cost of the motor. I'm halfway in a similar tone with a Logic DM101 and gone DC with it. A big improvement.

Only do not go the way of the Transcriptors DC unit. Brilliant piece of equipment, but 6 months delivery was unacceptable.

satanfriendly
20-01-2011, 21:07
I am immensely jealous Audio39, a Luxman PD300! Probably one of the best TT's ever, period.

Wish I'd never let mine go all those years back.

If you can find one shagged Shuggie and go DC motor I'm sure the end results would be pretty wonderful. The only issue being the cost of the motor. I'm halfway in a similar tone with a Logic DM101 and gone DC with it. A big improvement.

Only do not go the way of the Transcriptors DC unit. Brilliant piece of equipment, but 6 months delivery was unacceptable.