PDA

View Full Version : Dire Straits in dire straits...

aquapiranha
14-01-2011, 22:26
You couldn't make this sh1t up...

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/behind_the_music/46562/canada-bans-money-for-nothing/

:doh:

MartinT
14-01-2011, 22:34
Some people just have too much time on their hands :steam:

magiccarpetride
14-01-2011, 22:55
You couldn't make this sh1t up...

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/behind_the_music/46562/canada-bans-money-for-nothing/

:doh:

That's nothing. Check this out: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/vancouver-hospice-put-on-hold-over-cultural-sensitivity/article1869613/

Apparently, there are cultures out there which do not tolerate any space for weak people. Only the strongest are allowed to be. And us, Canadians, apparently have no problem backing such cultural biases. Holly shit!

Beechwoods
14-01-2011, 23:05
I always knew Dire Straits really were rock 'n roll. Axl Rose should definitely take a leaf out of Knopfler's book!

MartinT
14-01-2011, 23:06
That's astonishingly insensitive and selfish :(

Alex_UK
14-01-2011, 23:07
They should just over-dub it to "The little meat based product in gravy manufactured by Brains with the earring and the makeup. Yeah, buddy, that's his own hair. That little meat based product in gravy manufactured by Brains got his own jet airplane. That little meat based product in gravy manufactured by Brains he's a millionaire".

Beechwoods
14-01-2011, 23:10
http://vimeo.com/11756032

The Grand Wazoo
15-01-2011, 00:14
Don't forget, this is the same country that kept 'Candle in the Wind '97' in the top 20 for over three years.

Beechwoods
15-01-2011, 08:40
You've got to admit it was a very good song.

WAD62
16-01-2011, 13:01
You've got to admit it was a very good song.

Oh no you don't...sorry it just reminds me of everything I hate about 80's AOR ;)

Alex that is one depressing article, I spent just over 3 years in HK, and they really corner the market in bonkers religious superstitious clap trap.

I once saw an old couple burning a plastic Porche 911, in order for it to get to a relative on the other side...:doh:

Beechwoods
16-01-2011, 18:19
80's AOR? I was talking about Candle In The Wind :) ;)

WAD62
16-01-2011, 19:30

Oops...must learn to read :doh:

Mr Pig
20-01-2011, 18:12
“It is all about cultural sensitivity,” said Ms. Fan, a Chinese-born immigrant who lives in a high-rise near the proposed hospice site. “We came here as new immigrants with our own belief system. And in our beliefs, it is impossible for us to have dying people in our backyard.”

What?? Where does he want people to die?

this is the same country that kept 'Candle in the Wind '97' in the top 20 for over three years.

Is that true?

Welder
20-01-2011, 19:51
Crap band anyway :ner:

prestonchipfryer
20-01-2011, 19:58

Money for Nothin, Chicks for Free. Yeah, I should cocoa! :guitar:

SteveW
20-01-2011, 23:15

I heard that Elton had written a follow up, a tribute to Mother Thersa..."Sandles in the Bin".

WAD62
21-01-2011, 17:58

Good call...:cool:

zanash
04-02-2011, 08:35
this is very odd ...because I don't now know what to call a small bundle of wood used to make fires.....its certainly not meat based ....

as a matter of completeness this seems to be a good definition

*aggot is a very old word in English, deriving through the French fagot from the Latin facus, meaning a bundle.

* A *aggot is a bundle of sticks or branches, usually bound together. It is most commonly used in reference to wood intended for use as firewood.
* In metallurgy, *aggot refers to a bundle of iron pieces destined to be worked into bars by hammering or rolling at a high enough temperature to fuse them together.
* A *aggot is a type of food eaten mainly in the United Kingdom
* *aggot is a slang term used (usually pejoratively) to refer to gay men
* A *aggot is an archaic unit of measurement

See also *ag. Not to be confused with *agotto.

What fool hath added water to the sea,
Or brought a *aggot to bright-burning Troy?

(William Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus, Act II, scene III)

perhaps we can put an 'm' in front ?.....oh no thats already been done

Haselsh1
04-02-2011, 09:38
I actually thought that Dire Straits were pretty good when they produced their first and second albums but then they discovered keyboards and followed a route into pop dirge. I guess in that respect they were very much like Roxy Music. In fact Roxy got so bad even the drummer walked out on them.

MartinT
04-02-2011, 11:52
I agree, the first two albums are superb. However, the track 'Brothers in Arms' is a beautifully crafted song, too.

Haselsh1
04-02-2011, 14:03
I agree, the first two albums are superb. However, the track 'Brothers in Arms' is a beautifully crafted song, too.

Ya see, 'Brothers In Arms' is that age old album I so love to hate but I fully understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. It kind of reminds me of Roxy Music's 'Avalon' and that bloody awful 80's lounge music like Sade. I'd so much rather listen to 'Lady Writer' as I'm sure would you.

Alex_UK
04-02-2011, 17:59
and that bloody awful 80's lounge music like Sade

Now now, Shaun, you introduced me to Dancing Fantasy and whilst not 80's, I can't think of many more loungy artists! (In a good way!) ;)