PDA

View Full Version : So anyway, this guy rings up this morning and says ....

Neil McCauley
06-08-2008, 12:24
“What’s ya best price for one of them PS Audio Power Point Premier thingies – dude?”

Resisting the temptation to point out that it was not a Microsoft product and was in fact Power Plant, not Point, I stated that it was the RRP. £1,799. Just like it is for everyone else.

Naturally he wanted a discount.

My response, as is usual, was a follows.

Okay, I hear what you say. So you want to negotiate. Fair enough. It’s a transaction that to be successful, requires both of us to move away from our current positions – and be happy to do so. So …. what part of my service (30 days sale or return, loan unit if yours proves defective. guaranteed 85% trade-in in year #1 if an improved unit is introduced, carriage free in the UK, free heavy duty power cord from the wall to the PPP) would you like to give up in order for me to move away from my RRP?

His response was interesting. He said ……

“Err, not sure. I’ll ring you back”

Click. The line went dead.

Strange to relate, he hasn’t phoned back yet. Mind you, the day’s not over yet.

---//---

Marco
06-08-2008, 12:39
Two words spring to mind, Howard: "Knob head" :wanker:

Some people have a bloody cheek. If he was buying a load of stuff from you, perhaps it would have been different.

I like the way you dealt with the idiot, though - class!

Marco.

griffo104
06-08-2008, 13:01
I think Howard has responded excellently to this. So many people don't realise the extras a dealer is giving you for that RRP. You want a discount ? Fine, no back up, no 30 days refund no support, that'll cost you £n less.

This is one of the problems the modern internet world of faceless box shifters has given us. Some people may not want the extra support but for some of us we appreciate that extra.

I doubt you will hear back from him, you probably confused the hell out of him.

Togil
06-08-2008, 15:19
“What’s ya best price for one of them PS Audio Power Point Premier thingies – dude?”

Resisting the temptation to point out that it was not a Microsoft product and was in fact Power Plant, not Point, I stated that it was the RRP. £1,799. Just like it is for everyone else.

I'm sure you would have forgiven him if he had confused PS Audio with Sony Vaio :)

jandl100
06-08-2008, 22:27
He probably got a 10% discount from the next PS Audio dealer he called. Or an "ex dem" ;) model from the usual box-shifters.

jandl100
06-08-2008, 22:30
Years back, now, I went into a dealer to buy a piece of kit (can't remember what it was now) but the dealer was 'in discussion' with a guy who wanted a substantial discount. I was happy to pay full wack for my gear - the guy thought I was a total idiot. That's just the way some folks are, I'm afraid. They need to think they are getting a 'bargain'.

Steve Toy
08-08-2008, 02:51
Is this one of those sealed box completely untouched ex-dem items?

Primalsea
08-08-2008, 06:37
I've have mixed views on this really. On one hand when the Dollar is weak it would be nice for the RRP of US made items to be discounted, or a discount available more readily. and like my boss told me one when I said I thought I was pushing too much and didn't want to upset him - "You're just asking for a discount, You're not asking to F**K his sister, if he can't do it he'll just say no"

On the other side you have to consider:

The UK market is much smaller than the US (much, much, much smaller infact). Nowhere near the same numbers are sold here compared to other countries.

US prices don't include state tax and UK prices have to include freight, import duty, and VAT. Couple with with relatively high cost of living in the UK equals higher prices. Also the people in the UK have to absorb costs when covering warranty returns.

With the Higher End stuff you're not just buying the item, your using the (hopefully good) dealers wisdom, advice and experience to ensure that you get it right.

It amazes me that you can get people who get paid £15 per hour at work (just an example) but won't want to pay a tradesman £120 a day. Why should you pay someone less than you get paid to do a job that you evidently can't do your self.

Peter Stockwell
08-08-2008, 06:44
Why should you pay someone less than you get paid to do a job that you evidently can't do your self.

Because some people are brainless no idea tightwads.

alb
08-08-2008, 07:35
It amazes me that you can get people who get paid £15 per hour at work (just an example) but won't want to pay a tradesman £120 a day.

I'm self employed and i encounter this all the time. Some people raise their eyebrows at £90, let alone £120.