PDA

View Full Version : Universal remote

jantheman
14-01-2011, 14:17
Any suggestions. Mainly for use with DVD and TV.

Alex_UK
14-01-2011, 14:25
How much do you want to spend Ray? Logitech Harmony range are always highly regarded, but I went for a Philips Prestigo SRU8015 'cos it looked a bit nicer and has a (teeny) colour screen - £69 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SRU8015-10-Prestigo-Control/dp/B000UYYGEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295014812&sr=8-1) - some mixed user reviews on there but I'm happy with it.

jantheman
14-01-2011, 14:34
I'll go to 100. Had a look at the logitech ones and they look very good. But, as always, the ones I liked are wayyyyy too expensive...:lolsign: So I'll have to tone down a little.

Jac Hawk
14-01-2011, 21:16
How about a 6 year old child, you just tell um what to turn on / up and they do it :eyebrows: plus they're a leaning remote, so the longer you have em the better they get, mine can even make a half decent cuppa now:lol:

Dave Hewitt
14-01-2011, 21:44
Got one from the poundshop,works my cd94 fine,also pioneer cd player.
Dave.

Canetoad
17-01-2011, 09:52
I have a Logitech Harmony 555 and it is brilliant. Replaced half a dozen remotes with one and is very easy to program. Most hardware profiles are already available online for loading and configuration. I couldn't live without it now. Best bit of kit I have bought in a long time.

darucla
03-04-2011, 10:22
Occasionally, if you are very lucky, you can get Harmony remotes very cheaply. If you only need no more than 4 item control, look out for the 300, one of which I bought on Play.com for a tenner. At that price, it is a good option and sturdily built, better than many supplied by manufacturer controllers.

allsorts
28-11-2011, 21:00
+1 for the logitech300. AU $10 (7pounds??) at ALDI supermarket last week. Never had one before, plugged it into the Mac, accessed the website, input the brands for the bluray, tv and pvr and i now have just about all the functions i use available on one remote. Wasn't optimistic about it initially but thought I couldn't pass it up for 10 dollars. It really is simple to use

Reid Malenfant
28-11-2011, 21:10
:lol: Thats AU dollars as well, even better value :cool:

jon1
28-11-2011, 21:21
I use one of these..http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Kameleon-Control-Learning-Features/dp/B000ZSUZ5M

jon

Arfa
20-12-2011, 17:12
I've been using Logitech Harmony's for years now. Started with a second hand 525, then upgraded to a second hand 885, after getting fed up of it eating so many batteries. That ran for a while, but some buttons starting playing up. Spoke to Logitech, who said it couldn't be fixed economically, but offered me 50% any new remote! So got a posh 900, with RF.

They're all great remotes. Definitely recommend one that has a rechargeable battery and dock. The RF system is nice, no need to keep the remote pointing at everything. With a lot of kit, it can take a while to go through all items turning stuff off and on, selecting inputs etc. and if you don't keep 'um pointing at stuff, some items may get missed out. Not an issue with the RF. The RF system also lets you tie specific items to specific IR emitters too.

Online DB is very exhaustive, not found anything not in it. And many devices often have commands in the DB, that aren't one the original remotes!

Downsides: No Linux support, even the the interface is essentially a web based thing embedded in an app. Mac and Windows work grand though.
Response time, going through menus on the remote can sometimes be a bit slow.
Configuration interface is a bit naff, forces you to go through far too many windows to change simply stuff.