PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL1800 What To Do?

MCRU
13-01-2011, 22:30
After missing a Denon TT yesterday on e-bay as I was out when the auction finished I acquired an SL1800 instead off a customer's friend.

What can be done with it guys to spruce it up?

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BELDEN/TechnicsSL18001.jpg

Techno Commander
14-01-2011, 01:40
Very nice. :)

audio39
14-01-2011, 02:25
Spruce it up?...it's already a beauty!!

I've always liked the Technics tables...the arm you have there is not too shabby performance wise. I would like to suggest a nice Ortofon 2M cartridge...I really like the Blue (I own one), I found it to have a very high percentage of what the Black (I used to own one of these) has on offer.

Get some nice big bulky looking feet (good isolation type) to both improve performance and give the table that "substantial" look.

Nice buy!

DSJR
14-01-2011, 08:33
The deck has a rudimentary sprung sub chassis/tray, so basic isolation shouldn't be a problem from memory. A Sumiko shell is a must (and get the original Techie shell for posterity) and as this deck has a slightly dark tone as standard, a Herbies/Timestep mat would be a great match (I don't know the Achromat, but if it gives a taut and dynamic presentation, it'll be fine too).

The arm is massier than the current example and, IMO and experience, more rigid too, so any reasonable mc type cartridge will be fine - we fitted Dynavextor 10X and 20A's to these with great results.

The 1600/1700/1800 models should be regarded as they are, because I don't think the fancy bearings can be fitted as they can to the current model. The suspended trays wouldn't take the weight either. The GOOD thing about the motor units is that they don't slow under a "dust-bug" style load and neither do they suffer servo overshoot as cheaper dd's of this period did. Main bearing noise is very low as well, so despite not being as over-engineered as Mike New's bearings and platters are :), they've lasted thiry five years and, with a few drops of magic oil, should last the same again.

MCRU
14-01-2011, 08:46
Thanks guys, the very nice chap who sold it to me has fitted an Ortofon cartridge in with the price and I have a herbie's mat on the way from marco so result I think!

DSJR
14-01-2011, 08:50
It won't scale the heights a 1200mk2 can, if you throw enough dosh at it, but it'll be good for MUSIC reproduction off vinyl. My choice of cartridge these days is either a Nagaoka (Alex UK is delighted with his oldie in a similar SL1500 arm), or a Sumiko BPS which is well priced from Musonic I think.