PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish TV audio!

UV101
13-01-2011, 21:19
Hi Guys

I've had my Samsung Plasma for just over 2 years. During that time, I've never used its internal tuner (because its picture quality is appauling) nor its internal speakers.

My usual sound set up is via my processor even when using PWM for normal (non HD) TV channels. My front left and right are via my main hifi and I always run the centre channel at least.

Now having packed the entire hifi system, I have had to use the internal TV speakers.

They are the worst thing I have ever heard in my life!! about as dynamic as a wet sock! I know I shouldn't expect too much but this is like 80's Saisho crap!

Anyone else have real issues with the audio quality of their TVs?

MartinT
13-01-2011, 21:22
My Panny's speakers will never even get run-in. TV speakers are always crap and flat panel ones especially so.

WAD62
14-01-2011, 12:00
My Panny's speakers will never even get run-in. TV speakers are always crap and flat panel ones especially so.

As i recall I think we have the same panny, and like you I barely use them, but they are marginally better than others I've heard, as they're in the fatter base section of the tv.

My mate has a samsung LCD, so probably not the same model as Ian's, but it's almost inaudible using the built in speakers, shockingly bad. :)

How come all your hi-fi is packed, are you moving?

UV101
14-01-2011, 12:12
Hi Will

Yep started packing for moving! On the plus side, the new lving room is bigger and I'll be able to use my hifi stand instead of cramming what I can onto the TV stand (as I've done for the last 5 years :( ) This is why I've got myself a turntable again :)

Yep my Samsung is dreadful! I'd go as far as to say my iphone's built in speaker sounds better :lolsign:

Fortunately it'll only be for a couple of weeks and most free time during that period will be used packing!

I have a Dell (not sure what rebrand it is) LCD in the bedroom. Picture is rubbish (early large LCD very slow so loads of motion blur) but the sound is miles better!

I was just suprised at how bad the TV itself was!

Reid Malenfant
14-01-2011, 12:27
Imo just about any of the modern ultra slim panel TVs must sound pretty awful, though not having heard them perhaps i ought to reserve judgement :eyebrows:

The worst i have heard is on an LG 27" full HD TV/monitor i have hear, though it was designed as a PC monitor they appear to have added a pair of speakers as an afterthought :lol: It's about as bad as a tinny radio of the handheld variety & about as loud at full volume, you couldn't watch TV or a film on it from more than a few feet away.

The Philips 56" 21/9TV is totally the opposite with fantastic sound & volume with a couple of built in subwoofers (read speakers that'll do bass :eyebrows:).

Perhaps it's a sneaky way of manufacturers to get you to buy more kit in the form of an AV amp :rolleyes:

UV101
14-01-2011, 12:51
I was involved in TV sales and repairs for a small village repair shop around about the time NICAM hit the scenes. Some TV manufacturers satrted to take the audio side fairly seriously. I don't understand why its clearly not important now! Then again, nor is picture quality. Unless you drive these panels with HD and they are rubbish and even worse, apparently its ok to braodcast std def TV pictures in quality that equates to early MPEG pirate films! But I'm sure that one's already been done to death!!!

MartinT
14-01-2011, 13:28
As i recall I think we have the same panny, and like you I barely use them, but they are marginally better than others I've heard, as they're in the fatter base section of the tv.

It's a Panasonic TX-P42G20B and it's superb, I couldn't care less if it didn't have speakers at all.

How come all your hi-fi is packed, are you moving?

Packed? Moving? :scratch:

WAD62
14-01-2011, 14:03
Packed? Moving? :scratch:

...sorry confusing post, the packed question was for Ian...and he is moving :)