PDA

View Full Version : A couple of less common turntables

BTH K10A
12-01-2011, 19:21
Both on my wish list of "hope I'll find one" items

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/Others%20HiFi/Neumannturntable.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/Others%20HiFi/heya3d.jpg

Barry
12-01-2011, 19:34
What are those two decks Andy?

I think the first is a Neumann, but the second is unknown to me. Do tell!

Regards

Techno Commander
12-01-2011, 19:35
Love the second tech. Proper engineering. :)

BTH K10A
12-01-2011, 19:49
What are those two decks Andy?

I think the first is a Neumann, but the second is unknown to me. Do tell!

Regards

You were close with the first one.
Its a VEB T146. East German manufacture. This is only heresay but I was told by a German friend that part of the Neumann company ended up in the east and there is Neumann engineering in this deck. He said the arm has Neumann design origins and is much better engineered than EMT or Ortofon tonearms.

The second is a Lyrec AG40-2 which again has a Neumann connection. Lyrec supplied Neumann with the motors for their cutting lathes and the AG40 decks use this motor in the same direct drive configuration.

Barry
12-01-2011, 20:07
You were close with the first one.
Its a VEB T146. East German manufacture. This is only heresay but I was told by a German friend that part of the Neumann company ended up in the east and there is Neumann engineering in this deck. He said the arm has Neumann design origins and is much better engineered than EMT or Ortofon tonearms.

The second is a Lyrec AG40-2 which again has a Neumann connection. Lyrec supplied Neumann with the motors for their cutting lathes and the AG40 decks use this motor in the same direct drive configuration.

Thanks Andy.

Inclined to agree about the Neumann arm. We have a German member here on AoS who uses one and it does look gorgeous: very elegant in a Bauhaus sort of way. I've always thought both Ortofon and EMT pick-up arms were over-hyped by enthusiasts.

Regards

BTH K10A
12-01-2011, 20:24
Thanks Andy.

Inclined to agree about the Neumann arm. We have a German member here on AoS who uses one and it does look gorgeous: very elegant in a Bauhaus sort of way. I've always thought both Ortofon and EMT pick-up arms were over-hyped by enthusiasts.

Regards

Yes the Neumann arms are good.
The ZA29 is great but can only be used with the DT51 & DZT mono cartridges and I love the offset cartridge mounting block of the Z25. The Z25 can of course use any of the EMT mount cartridges and Mono Ortofons. It was designed for the Neumann DST & DST62 cartridges which are on my "hope to find" list too.

I've owned Ortofon tonearms and still have three EMT 929's. The EMT is IMHO better than the comparable Ortofons and early SME's. It is a very good tonearm but it is still has its roots in the Thorens TP12.

Barry
12-01-2011, 20:40
Yes the Neumann arms are good.
The ZA29 is great but can only be used with the DT51 & DZT mono cartridges and I love the offset cartridge mounting block of the Z25. The Z25 can of course use any of the EMT mount cartridges and Mono Ortofons. It was designed for the Neumann DST & DST62 cartridges which are on my "hope to find" list too.

I've owned Ortofon tonearms and still have three EMT 929's. The EMT is IMHO better than the comparable Ortofons and early SME's. It is a very good tonearm but it is still has its roots in the Thorens TP12.

The Neumann DST62 appear from time to time on eBay. I don't believe they are that good - certainly nowhere near good enough to justify the obscene prices they fetch. I believe the Neumanns are compatabile with the EMT arm bayonet fitting, but have heard also they need to be modified.

Of more interest to me is the Lumière: a Japanese made facsimile of the DST having a solid headshell and fitted with a much better diamond than that used by Neumann. Only made to order with an exasperatingly long delivery time (~ a year) they were being made for ~ £2,500: reasonable for a hand made cartridge.

Regards

BTH K10A
12-01-2011, 21:05
The Neumann DST62 appear from time to time on eBay. I don't believe they are that good - certainly nowhere near good enough to justify the obscene prices they fetch. I believe the Neumanns are compatabile with the EMT arm bayonet fitting, but have heard also they need to be modified.

Of more interest to me is the Lumière: a Japanese made facsimile of the DST having a solid headshell and fitted with a much better diamond than that used by Neumann. Only made to order with an exasperatingly long delivery time (~ a year) they were being made for ~ £2,500: reasonable for a hand made cartridge.

Regards

Yes the DST cartridges do fetch crazy prices except for one in the early days of ebay that was in the UK and sold for........ £4.95!!! I had it on watch and then forgot to bid:doh:
The seller did not know what he had and described it as "an old needle". No mention of Neumann but the Pic of cartridge and original box confirmed what it was.

I've heard a number of people have had problems with the Lumière. Apparently they can easily go open circuit and the seller is not easy to contact either.

Barry
14-01-2011, 18:24
Yes the DST cartridges do fetch crazy prices except for one in the early days of ebay that was in the UK and sold for........ £4.95!!! I had it on watch and then forgot to bid :doh:
The seller did not know what he had and described it as "an old needle". No mention of Neumann but the Pic of cartridge and original box confirmed what it was.
I've heard a number of people have had problems with the Lumière. Apparently they can easily go open circuit and the seller is not easy to contact either.

:eek: ... especially as one was put up for bid on eBay, in early 2008, with a starting bid of £1,000 (VAT not included)! The seller could not even assure the cartidge was in full working order. Not only that, he placed severe restictions on the auction - not surprisingly, no one bid!

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/barrydhunt/IMG-9.jpg?t=1295028988

Regards

BTH K10A
14-01-2011, 20:44
:eek: ... especially as one was put up for bid on eBay, in early 2008, with a starting bid of £1,000 (VAT not included)! The seller could not even assure the cartidge was in full working order. Not only that, he placed severe restictions on the auction - not surprisingly, no one bid!

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/barrydhunt/IMG-9.jpg?t=1295028988

Regards

Serves him right. Was he from the USA? I've noticed quite a lot of the vintage hifi sellers there put all sorts of conditions on sales.

Changing the subject slightly Barry, have you ever considered using a Siemens Micromaster 420 inverter to control the speed on your 930?
I understand a few owners have done this conversion and are very pleased with the results.
It gets rid of the issue of speed drift caused by the third phase capacitor value changing, associated hum and the requirement for the felt brake.
Gives very precise speed contol too.

http://www.ledcontrols.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/siemens/id/128/?gclid=CL7Xqp7CuqYCFY4f4Qod_CNBIQ

Andy