PDA

View Full Version : Audio cassettes making a comeback?

magiccarpetride
11-01-2011, 23:49
I think I glanced a headline the other day claiming that audio cassettes may be the next big craze. Are people that desperate for attention? Have they already started to scrape the bottom of the barrel?

Beobloke
12-01-2011, 10:45
Hmm, do I detect the opinion of someone who's never heard a decent recording made on a properly set up cassette deck?! ;)

Ammonite Audio
12-01-2011, 10:53
Hmm, do I detect the opinion of someone who's never heard a decent recording made on a properly set up cassette deck?! ;)

Now, be honest here. How many people, apart from Alex Nikitin, can be bothered with cassettes nowadays, particularly at a time when PC based audio is starting to deliver really good results; and offering really good quality recording opportunities too?

chris@panteg
12-01-2011, 11:06
I gave up on cassetes some time ago , but they can sound great ! i heard Alex's modded Techie deck at the London show :eek: it was bloody good.

Marco
12-01-2011, 11:19
Hi Hugo,

Now, be honest here. How many people, apart from Alex Nikitin, can be bothered with cassettes nowadays, particularly at a time when PC based audio is starting to deliver really good results; and offering really good quality recording opportunities too?

Me!

I still listen to my CR-7, and regularly use it for making up tapes for the car from recordings on vinyl on my system :)

However, when I play those tapes on the CR-7 in my system at home, rather than in the car, they sound every bit as good (i.e. phenomenal) as CDs do on my modified Sony CDP ;)

They are virtually indistinguishable in quality from the original recordings on vinyl, and I often A/B the results on the Techie.

Therefore, I agree with Adam. Anyone who slags off cassette tape as being 'crap' or inferior to today's digital technology, has likely never heard a top-notch tape deck, playing genuine high-fidelity recordings on top-notch NOS chrome or metal tapes....

Oh, and I've also still got my Sony Walkman Pro, which trust me, pisses all over any bloody iPod or MP3 player for out-and-out sonic performance!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Techno Commander
14-01-2011, 19:40
I have listened to tapes done on a Nak Dragon and the quality was worringly close to a CD.

Reid Malenfant
14-01-2011, 19:44
Any good quality dual capstan 3 head cassette deck worth it's salt should definately surprise a lot of people. I have a couple & even though they are getting on a bit they sound most excellent :)

I have another couple of 3 head decks & while these are good it's the dual capstans that make a real difference imo.

Beechwoods
14-01-2011, 20:22
I wasn't going to bother with this thread, 'cos it's obviously a troll one :rolleyes: but in my experience, most people have no idea what tape is capable of. A decent, well maintained deck can create a sound you never thought possible from tape, pre-recorded or home-made. I've digitised tapes for people who said they'd never realised how good their recording was, until they heard it played back on a decent deck.

Tape decks are on the ascendant again. High-end decks in top fettle are starting to cost as much or more as they did when they came out. But it's still possible to pick up excellent machines at good prices. A good deck will last you years if you keep it clean and serviced.

darkstar078
17-01-2011, 16:52
+1

I'm into cassettedecks too with sober sounding Nakamichi LX3 and CR-5 ;)

Canetoad
18-01-2011, 08:30
So can you guys give examples of good decks to look out for?

I have an Alpage I bought way back in the early 80s. It still works but it isn't the best for sound reproduction in playback or recording. I don't have many tapes but would really like to put together an old system from late 70s/early 80s equipment including a tape deck.

I like Sansui, Pioneer and Teac decks from that era to name a few but don't know which models represent the best value for money.

Beobloke
18-01-2011, 12:50
Now, be honest here. How many people, apart from Alex Nikitin, can be bothered with cassettes nowadays?

well then, so far we've got -

Me
Marco
Alex Nikitin
David Price
Tim Jarman (owner of Beocentral and Walkman Central websites)
Dave Cawley has been known to have a tinker with them...

A fine and discerning bunch of people, I'd say.......:)

Techno Commander
18-01-2011, 12:57

The better (3 head) decks from Aiwa, Pioneer and Sony will all do a good job with a decent tape.

Obviously Nakamichi as well.:)

Ammonite Audio
18-01-2011, 13:02
well then, so far we've got -

Me
Marco
Alex Nikitin
David Price
Tim Jarman (owner of Beocentral and Walkman Central websites)
Dave Cawley has been known to have a tinker with them...

A fine and discerning bunch of people, I'd say.......:)

A vocal minority, I like to think ;)

Lodgesound
18-01-2011, 13:52
I picked this up for a £5.00 a while back - very impressive once all the belts were changed and I had re-aligned it.....

http://www.vintagecassette.com/Pioneer/CT-A7X/videos

tommy6206
18-01-2011, 17:27
i use a Technics cassette deck and Akai and Tascam RTR

Beechwoods
18-01-2011, 18:21

What price are you looking at? I can only speak from my own experience, and I am extremely pleased with my three main decks; a Nakamichi CR-7, Nakamichi ZX-7 and a Studer A710. The Studer also retails under the Revox brand, as the B710. These are all fantastic decks. For me the Nakamichi's just take the money for all-round performance, but the A710 / B710 is right up there, built like a battleship, and can be found for reasonable money. The Nakamichi's tend to be a bit more pricey.

I have have heard some very good sounds from other decks. Alex Nikitin posted some excellent sample transfers on here a while back, but he'd spent a lot of time with his decks, including some modification; and his own designed CMOS chip. Other than Nak approved upgrades my machines are stock, so representative of well-maintained examples you might come across.

Canetoad
18-01-2011, 19:26
I haven't looked into the prices enough to know what something decent would cost. I certainly don't want to pay a small fortune for obsolete equipment. I guess I'd be willing to spend up to about £300.

Reid Malenfant
18-01-2011, 19:35
Look for something like the following:-

Pioneer CTF850, CTF950, CTF1250 (not sure if there is a model between the 950 & 1250).

Akai GXC760D

Nakamichi 660ZX, 680ZX

Or possibly this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-NAKAMICHI-700-3-HEAD-CASSETTE-DECK-SYSTEM-/200566157789?pt=UK_CE_Cassette_RL&hash=item2eb2acb1dd) :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
18-01-2011, 19:39
Or possibly this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-NAKAMICHI-700-3-HEAD-CASSETTE-DECK-SYSTEM-/200566157789?pt=UK_CE_Cassette_RL&hash=item2eb2acb1dd) :eyebrows:

Now you're talking! I've heard some nice playbacks off a 70's vintage 700. Make sure you factor in a service though, if you're serious about getting the best out of your deck.

Pete The Cat
18-01-2011, 21:12
Yamaha KX580. More kinds of Dolby than you can shake a stick at and available for well under £50. After another 10 years I'll have finished using it to transfer the last of my cassettes to digital...

Pete

Beobloke
19-01-2011, 10:30
Seconded. Yamaha made some excellent cassette decks and even their budget ones could turn in a very impressive performance. Don't dismiss an old B&O either - the Beocord 2400 can be picked up for pennies and is a very nice deck, as are the later Beocord 8000/8004 types, although these will be a little dearer.

Of course, as a happy owner, I can also highly recommend the Technics RS-9900 but there aren't many about and they're a little on the....er....'bulky' side.

Canetoad
19-01-2011, 12:43
Many thanks for the replies. Gives me plenty of brands/models to check out. Keep them coming...:)

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 19:18
Hi Bernie, here's a link to a CT-F950 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200563656283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) that sold this afternoon on fleabay. Still well within your price range..

Looks like i got a bargain, i only payed £40 for mine :D

I'd keep an eye out on that Nakamichi 700 chap, as far as i know B&W (the speaker people) do servicing on Naks. Well they certainly did up until recently at least ;)

Canetoad
19-01-2011, 19:21
Merk,

I was going to bid on it but got back from the weekly shop too late. :doh:

I do like Pioneer's silver range!

There's no rush and I'm sure I'll find something good if I'm patient. Trouble is I'm not.:lol:

Techno Commander
19-01-2011, 19:45
This Sony (http://cgi.ebay.de/Sony-TC-K333ESL-TC-K970ES-ESPRIT-High-End-Holzseiten-/110636879384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item19c278ce18) looks rather good.

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 19:56
This Sony (http://cgi.ebay.de/Sony-TC-K333ESL-TC-K970ES-ESPRIT-High-End-Holzseiten-/110636879384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item19c278ce18) looks rather good.
Mmmm, 3 heads & dual capstans & of course Sony quality ;) They did make some fine cassette decks :)

Looks like it's open to offers as well..

Techno Commander
19-01-2011, 20:02
Indeed. £300 is €356. So quite possibly within Mr Frogs budget.

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 20:06
Indeed. £300 is €356. So quite possibly within Mr Frogs budget.
I'm not sure he'd like being called Mr Frog, however he did call me "Merk" :D

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 21:04
Merk,

I was going to bid on it but got back from the weekly shop too late. :doh:

I do like Pioneer's silver range!

There's no rush and I'm sure I'll find something good if I'm patient. Trouble is I'm not.:lol:
Hey Paul, take a look here fella (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=180483#post180483) :) Nak DR10 recently serviced...

Canetoad
20-01-2011, 07:14
I'm not sure he'd like being called Mr Frog, however he did call me "Merk" :D

:doh: