PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Eric

magiccarpetride
10-01-2011, 22:37
I've attended a movie night at a friend's house yesterday, and he showed the movie "Looking for Eric" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242545/). There seem to be a lot of people on this board who live in the UK, so I was wondering what did you guys think of this movie? I must say I simply loved it! I only had a lot of trouble following the dialog, due to the thick northern accent that most protagonists were speaking (it was easier for me to understand what Eric Cantona was saying). The subtitles were on and they certainly helped, but I was trying not to read them and to instead figure out what the hell are these postmen saying:scratch: Needless to say, had a hell of a time...

Jac Hawk
10-01-2011, 23:10
I haven't seen it but i'll give it the once over, i think my brother has it on DVD, btw if you like football films i would suggest The damned United, it's the story or at least part of the story of the greatest English football manager never to manage England (brian clough) a great performance by Michal Sheen, i would highly recommend it.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 14:16
The damned United, it's the story or at least part of the story of the greatest English football manager never to manage England (brian clough) a great performance by Michal Sheen, i would highly recommend it.

A far better film IMHO, I found 'Waiting for Eric' to be typical patronising Ken Loach fodder, I'm not a fan I'm afraid...

Macca
07-02-2011, 14:19
I haven't seen it but i'll give it the once over, i think my brother has it on DVD, btw if you like football films i would suggest The damned United, it's the story or at least part of the story of the greatest English football manager never to manage England (brian clough) a great performance by Michal Sheen, i would highly recommend it.

Seconded. It's brilliant.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 15:38
Seconded. It's brilliant.

Even the out takes are great, the additional half time team talks, one with the magnum of brandy, and the other where he tries to get Bremner and Giles to dance with each other...magnificent!

Sheen is so convincing you forget you're watching an actor :)

Another good one, well if you liked Zidane as a player, and enjoy a bit of Mogwai is this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zidane-21st-Century-Portrait-DVD/dp/B000IMVERS/ref=pd_cp_d_h__3_img

It just follows Zidane through the 90 mins of a dull game, he doesn't score, he barely speaks, but if you've ever tried playing football at any level just the touch of the man is incredible, it's beautifully fiimed...and if you like Mogwai it's a winner :)