PDA

View Full Version : Techie phase 2.5 mat upgrade

Tarzan
10-01-2011, 17:31
Having sold some of my kit off,to soften the blow l am now in a position to upgrade the mat on the SL1200 MK2, upgrades so far are; isonoe feet, Sumiko headshell, some Ringmat statmats, and a plethora of cartridges, over time l have an SME V to put on the Techie, but l am not rushing as l love the sound of the stock arm, it is just so musical,also l have not decided yet whether to get an SP10 at a later date or mod the hell out of my 1200, l may run both, so a mat upgrade is due but which one Anchromat,Copper or that sexy as hell Oyaide, l must admit l like the look of the Oyaide, but is it worth the extra £150 over the Anchromat, plus the Oyaide fits the SP10- gedit? My only concern is that the Oyaide can be a tad analitiycal,l would like to keep the rich musical sound l have now, ah before l forget l will not be getting the MN platter as l like the look of the stock platter, gentlemen it is over to you and thanks for looking:)

chris@panteg
11-01-2011, 09:25
Hi Andy

I agree with you about the stock arm , its somewhat underated ! , have you read Marco's thread about all the mat's you mention ?

Tarzan
11-01-2011, 18:07
Chris, have you compared the Anchromat to anything else?:)

Tarzan
11-01-2011, 18:08
Any other members like to give any thoughts:).

MCRU
11-01-2011, 19:42
Well Marco tried a few mats with and without the MN platter, I don't intend to go new platter new bearing, if I was going to spend a grand more on my Techie I would probably buy an SME 4 but at this stage my new PSU together with my Oyaide mat does the business for me. Just got my new weight today, had it made from aluminium to my own design and it weighs about 400 grammes, I got the wife to swap weights without me seeing which one was on and it was a close call between my home made one and the oyaide, the oyaide is tweakable by removing some of the weights and even adding carbon pipes instead of the existing aluminium ones but no time for that at the moment.

Tarzan
11-01-2011, 19:45
ldeally l would not want to use a clamp, but the Oyaide and Weight do look nice indeed.

MartinT
11-01-2011, 20:21
I've compared the Achromat with a Herbies, Rega felt mat and the original Technics rubber mat. The Achromat is the one I am using and it is a significant upgrade for me.

Marco
11-01-2011, 20:32
Hi Andy,

You should have a good read at this thread:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8639

And this one: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8258

:)

Marco.

Tarzan
11-01-2011, 21:36
Hi Marco, thanks for the link, l have read the posts on the thread, is the Oyaide Mat/ weight, worth the extra dosh over the Anchromat,as l said in my post, l will be probably be Seriously upgrading the Techie:) The Oyaide does look cool.:)

Marco
11-01-2011, 21:55
Hi Andy,

is the Oyaide Mat/ weight, worth the extra dosh over the Anchromat

In a word, mate, 'yes', so buy with confidence! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
12-01-2011, 00:25
Chris, have you compared the Anchromat to anything else?:)

Hi Andy

yes i have tried a few mats , the herbies/soundhifi , a thin carbon fibre afair ,the std rubber vesion , an SRM acrylic mat , sticking with the funk1200 mat , the oyaide and copper mats would be a possible future upgrade but it will have to wait .

Tarzan
12-01-2011, 14:14
Marco, or anybody for that matter l am lead to believe that the Oyaide weight has to be used with the Oyaide mat?

MCRU
12-01-2011, 15:25
no not necessarily, any weight around 400 grammes should be fine, the oyaide weight is more tweakable though than the standard weights around

Marco
12-01-2011, 15:41
Hi Andy,

Marco, or anybody for that matter l am lead to believe that the Oyaide weight has to be used with the Oyaide mat?

Nope, not necessarily. The Oyaide weight is a superb piece of kit in its own right and will act as an effective record weight on any non-suspended T/T.

However, the Oyaide mat and weight come into their own as a combination, sonically, in terms of their record warp flattening abilities.

For that reason, I wouldn't use an Oyaide mat with anything other than a Oyaide weight, but I'd use an Oyaide weight with any mat, on any non-suspended T/T :)

Marco.

Tarzan
12-01-2011, 16:26
Ok thanks chaps, so the Oyaide mat is ok to use on its own for a while without a weight, no worries regarding the 1 degree taper?:)

Marco
12-01-2011, 16:31
Lol, not really, IMO... Read again what I said above, Andy!

For that reason, I wouldn't use an Oyaide mat with anything other than a Oyaide weight...

;)

Marco.

Tarzan
12-01-2011, 16:45
Thats me trying to be a cheapskate;)

MCRU
12-01-2011, 17:14
Don't mean to be argumenatitve against our leader but depending on your system (as I have found) the Oyaide mat works superbly without the oyaide weight, the weight is simply the icing on the cake, you still need a weight 400 grammes is about right. As the pair are quite costly customers have asked me a few times if they need to be purchased together as some are put off by the price for the pair, I suggested get the mat and use your existing weight until funds allow for the oyaide weight. As the mat is curved slightly as long as your weight is 400g it will be heavy enough to squash the vinyl so its perfectly flat on the mat. Oyaide actually make an even heavier weight as well for the same price.

Here is a review from the last customer of mine who bought one:-

I received an Oyaide MJ-12 turntable mat as a Christmas present from my wife. I have been listening to it for a little over 2 weeks now, and it is the best mat I have ever placed on my turntable. I have experimented with many mats, and I think that a hard-surfaced mat gives the best blend of detail and musicality. The Oyaide mat replaced a Boston Audio Mat 2 in my system. Instruments are placed much more precisely, and the overall presentation is more musical. I was originally concerned about the effect on cartridge azimuth ( thinking that the mat was machined with a radius of curvature), but the mat is 'flat', just tilted up 1 degree from the center. This allows you to force the record into intimate contact over the entire surface of the mat using a weight ( I use a spring-loaded clamp). I did, of course, adjust the azimuth of my cartridge by 1 degree, and the design maintains correct azimuth over the entire record side.

In summary: brilliantly designed, beautifully made, and perhaps the best mat in the world.

Tarzan
12-01-2011, 17:50
That is my point David, l am not using a weight at the moment and ideally l would not want to, but if the benefits are worth it l would go for the Oyaide weight- and they look cool as you like:cool:.

Marco
12-01-2011, 18:39
Hi David,

Don't mean to be argumenatitve against our leader but depending on your system (as I have found) the Oyaide mat works superbly without the oyaide weight, the weight is simply the icing on the cake, you still need a weight 400 grammes is about right. As the pair are quite costly customers have asked me a few times if they need to be purchased together as some are put off by the price for the pair, I suggested get the mat and use your existing weight until funds allow for the oyaide weight.

There's no argument, as I don't have a problem with that approach :)

However, the key bit is, as long as the weight you're planning to use is at least 400g, otherwise you won't get the vinyl flattening effect of the Oyaide mat and weight, or its significant sonic benefits, which for me is whole point of owing an Oyaide mat in the first place (as no other mat does this). Otherwise one may as well use an Achromat, and save a lot of money.

Using an Oyaide mat without any type of weight, however, as for some reason Andy wants to do (:scratch:), largely defeats the design principles of the mat, so I'm afraid that's NOT something I would recommend.

Me thinks Andy is just seduced by the look of the Oyaide and wants one regardless! ;)

Marco.

Tarzan
12-01-2011, 19:14
Drat, foiled by Marco, l do love the ease of use of the Techie, but would like a fix regarding is the Oyaide mat and clamp worth the extra dosh over the Copper mat/ Anchromat- l want VFM, but Marco you are right l do like the look of the Oyaide mat/ clamp:eyebrows:

Marco
13-01-2011, 12:27
Hi Andy,

I'd say buy an Oyaide mat, if you want one, and use it with the cheapest weight you can find, and then increase its mass to 400g by using lead strips, or whatever, until you can afford the matching Oyaide weight.

Using the Oyaide mat on its own will 'work' to an extent, but nowhere near like it will in conjunction with a suitable weight, which allows the flattening out of warps on records.

Quite simply, the sonic gains of having flat records to play are considerable! ;)

Marco.

DSJR
13-01-2011, 12:59
This *is* with the Mike New bearing, isn't it Marco? Could the standard bearing take the weight over a long period?

Marco
13-01-2011, 13:26
Good point, Dave! I'm not sure if Andy's got an MN bearing or not. If not, then I wouldn't advise using a heavy record weight for a prolonged period of time.

In which case, he'd be better just using an Achromat (the best mat for the Techie, IMO, out with of the Oyaide and Rubato copper mat), unless he has plans soon to fit an MN bearing, before he buys an Oyaide mat and any kind of heavy record weight.... :)

Marco.

MCRU
13-01-2011, 13:39
Who says that putting 400-500 grammes on the stock platter will damage the bearing? Any proof it does anyone? This is a tribological issue is it not?

Marco
13-01-2011, 13:46
Hi David,

No-one, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that much stress on the stock bearing in the long term. Others, however, are entitled to do so if they wish :)

Marco.

Tarzan
13-01-2011, 14:51
So should l upgrade the bearing first:doh:

Marco
13-01-2011, 14:59
Well to answer that question, think about 'source first', and where the bearing and record mat enter the equation in that respect... ;)

Marco.

Tarzan
13-01-2011, 15:28
Oh god, which one? ie the eassist one to fit:eyebrows:

Marco
13-01-2011, 15:31
In that case, the mat, so just buy the f*cker and shut it! :lol: :lolsign:

;)

Marco.

MCRU
13-01-2011, 15:59
In that case, the mat, so just buy the f*cker and shut it! :lol: :lolsign:

;)

Marco.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol:

Tarzan
13-01-2011, 16:29
What are you trying to say?;)

Alex_UK
13-01-2011, 20:48
I'd say buy an Oyaide mat, if you want one, and use it with the cheapest weight you can find, and then increase its mass to 400g by using lead strips, or whatever, until you can afford the matching Oyaide weight

I've just ordered one of these to try on my SL-150/Garrard 401 - virtually 400g (370g) and cheap as chips - I'm certainly a cheapskate! :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disc-Stabilizer-Record-Clamp-Puck-Vinyl-LPs-78s_W0QQitemZ290522281519QQcategoryZ48648QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DNGRI%2 6its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D30051335048 9%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6345327717440553207#ht_3019w t_905

MartinT
13-01-2011, 20:56
Alex, I can't see anywhere that mentions what material it's made of. Hopefully not steel!

MCRU
13-01-2011, 21:03
it looks like copy of the one marco uses and the design is not to be re-sold!

MartinT
13-01-2011, 21:29
Marco and I both use Bruils but that weight is a different shape.

MCRU
13-01-2011, 21:36
"Turntable Toys RC-101" weight design is from Rudolf A. Bruil.

Alex_UK
13-01-2011, 21:37
Alex, I can't see anywhere that mentions what material it's made of. Hopefully not steel!

I figured there is no possible way it could only weight 370g and be ferrous... I may of course be disappointed if it is only 2" in diameter and made of cast iron! :lol:

From what I found on Audioasylum it is designed by Rudolph A. Bruil, so it must be true, someone said so on a forum! :D

MCRU
13-01-2011, 21:40
did you not read my post above yours dude?

Alex_UK
13-01-2011, 21:51
did you not read my post above yours dude?

Simultaneous posts, dude! ;)

I think the design is "open source" for individual use, (http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html) - so not sure of the legitimacy of "Turntable Toys" selling it, information I should perhaps have researched before buying, as I'm not really a fan of ripping people off...

MCRU
13-01-2011, 21:54
Well I just bought one too as a mate needs one for his Oyaide mat, if I could afford it I would let people pay in 2 or 3 installments but I am not a credit broker! OK then 3 post dated monthly cheques come on you know you want one!

Alex_UK
14-01-2011, 12:51

Just to confirm, the metal will not attract a magnet, so I can only assume it is aluminium - feels like it is, but not sure - the Bruil specification is for it to be aluminium so to reach the weight with the right dimensions I guess it must be. My digital scale measures it to be exactly 370.0g - spot on. I have to say, it is a very nice item for the money, velvety pad on the bottom, and looks well machined/anodised(?) - might be painted but I think anodised. Yet to try it to see if it makes any difference to the sound, but it will certainly flatten records!

Sorry for drifting (a bit) from the original question, but I would think as a stop-gap or if you just want to try a weight then for £20 this is a bargain - believe me I'm as tight as a gnats chuff sometimes and I've been looking on ebay for over a year for something like this to come up! :)

MartinT
14-01-2011, 13:25
Nice one - it does sound like the real deal. I paid £35 for mine but bought it directly from Bruil himself.