PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Martin-Logan speakers?

tfarney
04-08-2008, 13:59
I got a chance to hear some of these the other day. The concept is electrostatics to cover the mids and highs with an integrated woofer(s) to provide the bass impact that the stats don't have. Pretty successful, I thought. There was a bit of that disconnected feeling you get with a poorly integrated sub, but not much, and I wonder if it could be simply dialed out (didn't notice if there was a volume control for the woofers, an assumption on my part). Everything above that somewhat hard break between the lows and the mids was very nice. A bit airy in the highs, probably just what I'm used to, but not sizzly at all. And the mids were just lovely - detailed without being etched, smooth coherent, very open and spacious...nice.

Tim

Neil McCauley
04-08-2008, 15:16
I got a chance to hear some of these the other day. The concept is electrostatics to cover the mids and highs with an integrated woofer(s) to provide the bass impact that the stats don't have. Pretty successful, I thought. There was a bit of that disconnected feeling you get with a poorly integrated sub, but not much, and I wonder if it could be simply dialed out (didn't notice if there was a volume control for the woofers, an assumption on my part). Everything above that somewhat hard break between the lows and the mids was very nice. A bit airy in the highs, probably just what I'm used to, but not sizzly at all. And the mids were just lovely - detailed without being etched, smooth coherent, very open and spacious...nice.

Tim

I supplied a PS Audio Power Plant Premier on Saturday for a system with big MLs, driven by an ARC/Bryston combo. I listened to the system extensively before and after the intervention of the PS Audio. If you'd like to phone me on 0208 447 8485, I'll discuss with you my thoughts on ML from Saturday and over the years.

Sincerely

Howard

---//---

Togil
04-08-2008, 15:16
I had the SL3 once. Compared to Quads they sounded plasticky and didn't fill the room in the way Quads do; however their transparency was superb. I'd like to hear the new full-range CLX Anniversary, though

jandl100
04-08-2008, 17:28
I had a pair of the full-range CLS2z for about a year. Very nice. :)

I've never got on with the ML hybrids, though. But perhaps the recent Summit/Vantage range do better - the sound is promising at Shows.

Primalsea
04-08-2008, 17:52
I've got a set of Aeon-i's which is the only ML speakers I have heard where the panel and the woofer integrate seamlessly. I bought them off a friend who moved up to the larger Ascents. He said some things they done a little better but he didn't feel the panel and woofer integrated as well as the Aeon-i's. The summits sound really, really good and they have mental bass but again they don't have seamless integration across the drivers.

One other thing from experience: I don't have a huge front room and have to have my speakers about a foot away from the walls (I do have absorption panel behind them though) I was getting distortion on certain bass notes and it took me months to realise that they were in a place where a room mode was a maximum. The room would resonate and cause the panels to resonate in sympathy (with the room, rather that the music) which would cause a fuzzy distorted sound.

zanash
08-08-2008, 14:20
again I run the older aerius i's if your local and want pop over just contact me