PDA

View Full Version : Nordost spm reference cable

Wakefield Turntables
08-01-2011, 18:31
Can anyone recommend someone that can terminate my SPM cable with balanced XLR's? I'd really like to use this on my ATC speakers. Many thanks for your help.

MCRU
08-01-2011, 19:44
Can anyone recommend someone that can terminate my SPM cable with balanced XLR's? I'd really like to use this on my ATC speakers. Many thanks for your help.

mark grant of course, demon with a soldering iron!

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2011, 19:49
mark grant of course, demon with a soldering iron!
I'm a demon with a soldering iron to ;) If that cable is like other Nordost cables that i'm thinking of then i wouldn't want to tackle it :scratch:

Do you see what i mean now :eyebrows:

DSJR
08-01-2011, 21:35
ATC's aren't hugely fussy on the interconnect used (in absolute terms, they weren't really clear enough if I'm being brutally honest, or the picture they painted was larger thereby swamping cable differences) and the manufacturers recommended Belden to me.

Apologies, Kimber does all sorts of funny things to the electrical matching and I'm highly suspicious of them.

If you really want a top quality expensive (?) balanced lead then talk to Mark Grant, who does a devastatingly good silver plated two-core-plus-earth mic cable of heavy duty. I haven't said much about it, but the heavier duty wires he kindly made for me a very few months ago are absolutely superb, not exaggerated anywhere as some silver-plated wires can be (including the original lighter gauge samples he made up for me) and, IMO, should be amazing for the ATC's if the price doesn't bankrupt you. Ask him for a quote :)

Wakefield Turntables
08-01-2011, 21:42
ATC's aren't hugely fussy on the interconnect used (in absolute terms, they weren't really clear enough if I'm being brutally honest, or the picture they painted was larger thereby swamping cable differences) and the manufacturers recommended Belden to me.

Apologies, Kimber does all sorts of funny things to the electrical matching and I'm highly suspicious of them.

If you really want a top quality expensive (?) balanced lead then talk to Mark Grant, who does a devastatingly good silver plated two-core-plus-earth mic cable of heavy duty. I haven't said much about it, but the heavier duty wires he kindly made for me a very few months ago are absolutely superb, not exaggerated anywhere as some silver-plated wires can be (including the original lighter gauge samples he made up for me) and, IMO, should be amazing for the ATC's if the price doesn't bankrupt you. Ask him for a quote :)

Many thanks for your advice, I already have some Nordost products in my setup so I'm trying to keep the synergy but I'll certainly get in contact.

MCRU
09-01-2011, 17:17
The Nordost speaker cable is quite easy to solder as its so fine, amazed it sounds good being so thin!

DSJR
09-01-2011, 17:23
The Nordost speaker cable is quite easy to solder as its so fine, amazed it sounds good being so thin!

I'm not sure it is, TBH. many of the Nordosts I've heard (cheap to middling) have had a sound all their own and are wonderful aerials for local Taxi firms :)