PDA

View Full Version : Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Rare Bird
07-01-2011, 17:03
I'm sure no ones missed me binding on about my impossibily of using loudspeakers where i live! the problem is i always find speakers that are good & suppose to deliver the goods sound pretty medicore because my volume levels are so low they kinda sound dim!

Salvation but my street cred is at risk in the form of a very cheap pair of bookshelf speakers.The tweeters would fry my ear drums at normal listerning levels but at the very low levels i require they deliver the goods alright, very clean & detailed, plenty of balls all at low level....

So there you go swallow you snooty pride & live with it, cheap bookies are handy at times.

Alex_UK
07-01-2011, 21:05
I'm sure no ones missed me binding on about my impossibily of using loudspeakers where i live! the problem is i always find speakers that are good & suppose to deliver the goods sound pretty medicore because my volume levels are so low they kinda sound dim!

Salvation but my street cred is at risk in the form of a very cheap pair of bookshelf speakers.The tweeters would fry my ear drums at normal listerning levels but at the very low levels i require they deliver the goods alright, very clean & detailed, plenty of balls all at low level....

So there you go swallow you snooty pride & live with it, cheap bookies are handy at times.

Cool - what are they?

Rare Bird
07-01-2011, 21:14
:lolsign:

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 21:17
Must be Amstrad :eyebrows:

colinB
07-01-2011, 21:19

Alex_UK
07-01-2011, 21:20
Must be Amstrad :eyebrows:

Nah, Andre's more of a Bush man I reckon :lol:

Paul Hynes
07-01-2011, 22:24
Hi Andre,

Try the Visaton B200 on an open baffle. Give them a month to run in and enjoy the music.

Regards
Paul

Ali Tait
07-01-2011, 22:33
Aye, I have them with a pair of Eminence Alpha 15" on each side. Sound good to me.

Paul Hynes
07-01-2011, 23:07
There is a nice musical coherence with the B200 and that makes all the difference to enjoying the music. I have not tried using larger drive units combined with the B200 to augment the bass end as there is no need for bass reinforcement with the line arrays I use. A single B200 per side does need a little help at the low end of the scale and the Eminence 15" units would give that help as they can move a fair amount of air. I wonder how a B200 would sound in that fantastic horn on top of of the Beetle in your avatar. I doubt if it would need any help in the bass end.

One thing I did notice with the single B200 is that the presentation is just as beguiling at low volume levels as it is at higher volume levels. Not many drive units can do that.

Regards
Paul

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 23:19
Aye, I have them with a pair of Eminence Alpha 15" on each side. Sound good to me.
Alpha 15s should be good in OBs, they have a high QTS which will give a decent enough bass response. Add an enclosure & you have a recipe for trouble or a bit of a bass lump :eyebrows:

It appears that you need a high QTS driver for OBs, at least in the bass range to maintain a fairly flat response. I have 8 Eminence Beta 15" drivers here which i'd also regard as high Q, though far less than the Alphas as they are about 0.5 QTS

Interesting to see how drivers can be used in different situations ;)

Ali Tait
08-01-2011, 00:10
Yes indeed, I'm quite happy with these OB's, though they were made by Steve (aquapiranha) and were swopped for my MLTL's with Fostex Fe167e's. I agree Paul, they sound very coherent at low levels. I also have the Planet10 phase plugs fitted, which I find make this driver much better in the treble. Do you use a tweeter to augment?

lurcher
08-01-2011, 01:10
It appears that you need a high QTS driver for OBs, at least in the bass range to maintain a fairly flat response. I have 8 Eminence Beta 15" drivers here which i'd also regard as high Q, though far less than the Alphas as they are about 0.5 QTS

Yep, I use a Beta 15" in a open baffle with partial side panels. FE127 from 150Hz up to 13kHz when a FT17H takes over.

John
08-01-2011, 03:15
I heard the B200 a few times nice drive units and a great way to build high quality speakers at sensiable prices

John
08-01-2011, 07:31
Yep, I use a Beta 15" in a open baffle with partial side panels. FE127 from 150Hz up to 13kHz when a FT17H takes over.
Any pics Nick (sorry Andre for thread drift)

lurcher
08-01-2011, 10:30
Any pics Nick (sorry Andre for thread drift)

There should be some out there from assorted get togethers. I will see what I can find.

Edit: Here is one, its before the tweeters were added, and they are the non acrilic ones

http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/Steves_Tube_Trials/EggFest_4_2_files/DSCN0981.jpg

Paul Hynes
08-01-2011, 11:06
No Tweeters. My drive units are over three years old now and they lost their initial ragged top end after a few months running in. The treble may not be as extended as some would wish for but I do not want to upset the beautifully coherent presentation the drive units have. I am happy with their performance at the top end and no one has complained of any lack of treble when listening to my system. On classical music the system frequency balance gives me a convincing illusion of being at the performance. All the other types of music I play sound good too.

Regards
Paul

Ali Tait
08-01-2011, 17:30
Try phase plugs Paul if you haven't already. Makes a worthwhile improvement IMHO.

Paul Hynes
10-01-2011, 22:53
One day when I get some time I can call my own I will look at phase plugs

Regards
Paul