PDA

View Full Version : Just in case you haven't seen it...

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 20:11
All HDMI cables are not equal (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7687), i guess i should have realised this when experimenting with other digital audio cables a good few years back :doh:

Thoroughly recommended, both the G720 & the G1080 that supersedes it. Having tried a few others i have replaced, or should i say i have bought all MG cables to use in all my HDMI connections.

Jac Hawk
07-01-2011, 20:27
You learn something new everyday, cheers mate. :)

Ali Tait
07-01-2011, 21:13
Yes agreed, the MG was a definate picture improvement for me.

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 21:19
Yes agreed, the MG was a definate picture improvement for me.
Indeed Ali, the shocker though was the Belkin PF40 :lol: Quite unbelievable :scratch:

Ali Tait
07-01-2011, 21:31
Didn't get one of those, though have 3 PF30's. They do help.

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 21:33
Same thing at the end of the day, PF40 just has a fancy display...

Quite unreal how a mains filter can make so much difference :)

Ali Tait
07-01-2011, 22:23
Indeed, though I guess it depends how good/bad your mains is in the first place. Regarding the cables- how much better is the 1080 than the 720?

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 22:35
I'm not too sure how much better the 1080 is compared to the 720, but it is ;) You see very shortly i'll get my system sorted as i want it & unfortunately this will result in an 8M HDMI run from an Octava HDMI switcher in my rack to the TV... There will be a 5M run from the Octava to my projector.

As soon as i received the 8M run of 1080 cable i naturally connected it up to try it out, again there were no problems unlike other HDMI cables the didn't like to work at less than 2M with the Philips TV & Panasonic player combination :rolleyes:

The G1080 will allow you to work with longer cable lengths & still maintain the utmost quality & this is what i needed. No idea what the same length of cable would be like compared to the G720, logic tells me it'd be better, but whether this would result in an improved picture at the end of the day i honestly don't know :scratch:

WAD62
08-01-2011, 15:44
All HDMI cables are not equal (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7687), i guess i should have realised this when experimenting with other digital audio cables a good few years back :doh:

Indeed Mark...

Because of the industries 'enforcement' of encryption (idiots!!! there's loads of software out there anyway!!!) on an HDMI lead they are even more vulnerable to interference, as it's a bi-directional conversation. :steam:

This is particularly noticeable on longer lengths, I use a 15' one for my projector, I eventually settled on a Chord one (white but can't remember the model), a bit expensive but worth it.

Unlike audio, which can be subjective, with video the effect of a good or bad cable is patently obvious particularly with a projector. Just freeze the frame on a good quality disk with some sky and horizon, and have a close up look at the distortion caused by the cable...:)

Jac Hawk
09-01-2011, 13:19
I'm not too sure how much better the 1080 is compared to the 720, but it is ;) You see very shortly i'll get my system sorted as i want it & unfortunately this will result in an 8M HDMI run from an Octava HDMI switcher in my rack to the TV... There will be a 5M run from the Octava to my projector.

As soon as i received the 8M run of 1080 cable i naturally connected it up to try it out, again there were no problems unlike other HDMI cables the didn't like to work at less than 2M with the Philips TV & Panasonic player combination :rolleyes:

The G1080 will allow you to work with longer cable lengths & still maintain the utmost quality & this is what i needed. No idea what the same length of cable would be like compared to the G720, logic tells me it'd be better, but whether this would result in an improved picture at the end of the day i honestly don't know :scratch:

In my opinion this is where high quality cable realy comes into it's own, when you need to have long runs, but it does rack the price up :eek:
Tell me mark is there any reason why you keep your TV in a different post code area to your Bluray player:lol::lol:

Reid Malenfant
09-01-2011, 13:27
Yes Mike, my rack which houses all the kit is a bit of a distance from the TV ;) I also run a projector, Mitsubishi HC5000 (1080P as well) & this also connects to both the BD & DVD player via an Octava 5 x 2 distribution amp. The PJ is connected via 5M of cable..

The amp has 5 inputs allowing for HDMI expansion but crucially it has two outputs so i don't need to keep connecting & disconnecting HDMI cables if i decide to swap displays :)

Jac Hawk
09-01-2011, 14:55
Yes Mike, my rack which houses all the kit is a bit of a distance from the TV ;) I also run a projector, Mitsubishi HC5000 (1080P as well) & this also connects to both the BD & DVD player via an Octava 5 x 2 distribution amp. The PJ is connected via 5M of cable..

The amp has 5 inputs allowing for HDMI expansion but crucially it has two outputs so i don't need to keep connecting & disconnecting HDMI cables if i decide to swap displays :)

i think buying a smaller house may be a cheaper option:lol::lol: