PDA

View Full Version : Caiman: Gator vs passive mod

robyonekenoby
05-01-2011, 08:41
Hello, I'd like to gather here some comparisons between this two mods from fellows that tried both

Actually I'm running on the passive mod with a couple of big film and foil caps, and I love it so much that I don't like the idea of adding something else in the signal path, unless the gator is proven to give better results

Thanks

Roby

DSJR
05-01-2011, 09:04
The cap mod apparently varies in cap value from system to system and although ok for nutcases like us, it's not really good in the outside world, as there's no standard for amplifier input impedance.

The Gator mod enables the Caiman to be used with utter consistancy with a very wide variety of gear, now straight into power amps with longish interconnects should you wish. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with their own views on the sonic differences, but the Gator, IMO, upgrades the DAC for use in the real world ;)

robyonekenoby
05-01-2011, 09:31
Yes yes, I agree completely

The passive mod has to be carefully tuned with the amplifier impedance, and is sensitive to interconnect cable parasitic capacitance, while the gator is universal

Anyway should be interesting a comparison of the gator vs a well matched passive mod like mine; my amp input impedance is 44k ohm (wolfson recommended min is 10k) and IC cable parasitic capacitance is <10pF (wolfson recommended max capacitive load is 100pF)