PDA

View Full Version : Which Speakers... Hmmm!

The Black Adder
04-01-2011, 22:58
Hi there.

I've currently got a Radford STA25 Reneisance amplifier and looking for some new speakers. Looking for standmount or floorstanders, something with decent sensitivity with a good bass response.

Currently looking in to some Living Voice, WLM Diva's or to go vintage like Celestion DL10's or 12's... or maybe smaller.

Can anyone give me some other things to look in to?

Cheers
Joe

The Grand Wazoo
04-01-2011, 23:55
The two speakers that fit hand in glove with the Radfords are the LS35a's and the Quad 57's. But you have to be prepared to live with those particular speakers strengths & weaknesses.
Overall, the best results I've had with my STA15 have been with my SD Acoustics OBS's.

As for newer models, sorry, I can't help.

hifi_dave
05-01-2011, 10:09
What is the budget ?

Barry
05-01-2011, 13:53
I'll second Chris's comments re. Quad 57s and LS3/5As. The Radford ought to go well with most vintage loudspeakers such as Tannoys and Radford's own.

What with your Thorens 124/II and SME arm you're putting together a vintage system to rival mine! ;)

Regards

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 14:27
<snip> something with decent sensitivity with a good bass response.
Imo the only way you'll get both of the above is with a pretty big driver (at least in the bass end) ;)

A big pair of Tannoys would do the job (12" or larger), but i somehow doubt you'd ever get what you want from any stand mount speaker smaller than a couple of cubic feet. The laws of physics simply won't allow it :(

Tannoys or Yamaha NS1000/M would be my suggestions :eyebrows:

Welder
05-01-2011, 15:07
Dont buy, build ;)

MartinT
05-01-2011, 15:21
Dont buy, build ;)

If you are interested in building, look at the IPL range. Lovely speakers and leading edge drivers will give you good efficiency.

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/

Welder
05-01-2011, 17:40
I second MartinT’s suggestion regarding the IPL kits.
However, if you have the money and you say you want bass I would suggest you look at these:
http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/prestige-2-p.asp

I built a set of these for a mate a couple of years ago and this will no doubt elicit howls of protest and indignation but they’ll frighten Tannoys and Yamaha NSM1000 to death and I really like the Yams ;)

The crossovers need a bit of attention and a lot can be done with the original rectangular cabinets.

John
05-01-2011, 18:12
I also consider open baffles they usually quite sensitive and once you move away from boxed speakers you can never really go back.

Ali Tait
05-01-2011, 18:25
+1.

The Black Adder
05-01-2011, 19:30
great, thanks fellas...

I've heard IPL's before, very nice sounding but ruddy huge.. lol.

I guess size is something I need to look at too. Not only that but I'm after something that is a little robust, why.. well maybe I'm worrying a little much but I've got twins on the way and I'm after something that will last... I have visions of little fingers pressing the 'press for action' tweeter... I know because thats exactly what I did to my dads speakers...

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 19:33
.I guess size is something I need to look at too. Not only that but I'm after something that is a little robust, why.. well maybe I'm worrying a little much but I've got twins on the way and I'm after something that will last... I have visions of little fingers pressing the 'press for action' tweeter... I know because thats exactly what I did to my dads speakers...
NS1000Ms Joe, all the drivers have steel screen protection ;)

PS, they work incredibly well with valve amps :)

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 19:43
Click for a pic & review (http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/yamahans1000m.html)

If you find a mint pair expect to pay about £800, worth every penny though ;)

A properly working pair which aren't cosmetically perfect can sometimes be found for less than £500, i know as i bought 3 pairs all for less than £450 :eyebrows:

WAD62
06-01-2011, 11:37
I second MartinT’s suggestion regarding the IPL kits.
However, if you have the money and you say you want bass I would suggest you look at these:
http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/prestige-2-p.asp

I built a set of these for a mate a couple of years ago and this will no doubt elicit howls of protest and indignation but they’ll frighten Tannoys and Yamaha NSM1000 to death and I really like the Yams ;)

The crossovers need a bit of attention and a lot can be done with the original rectangular cabinets.

Hi John,

I'd been thinking about one of Wilmslow Audio's kits, as they've been very helpful with some speaker repair/advice in the past, and seem to know their stuff.

Do you have experience of any other of their kits, more specifically this one...

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/rhapsody-8-p.asp

...more in my price bracket :)

Welder
06-01-2011, 12:26
Hi Will

The only other kit I’ve built from Wilmslow is what was called The Classic Home Studio Monitor.
I have purchased quite a few drivers and components from them over the years though and made use of their crossover design service once many years ago when I got stuck on a project. Given it wasn’t one of their kits they were extremely helpful.
I have always found them an excellent company to deal with, though not necessarily the cheapest.

What I will say regarding their kits are while the driver selection and the crossovers are well thought out both the crossover construction and cabinets materials can be improved on.

Main stream speaker kits (this applies to the vast majority of speaker kit suppliers) have to be affordable and relatively easy to construct and naturally this places constraints on the materials and design. If you are prepared to take this into consideration when you buy and are prepared to spend extra in money and time on hardwiring the crossovers, using alternative component makes in places, and use better grade materials for the cabinets you can build some pretty astounding speakers at a fraction of the cost a commercial built pair of equivalent specification will cost.

Btw, if you go for stand mounted and you want a custom stand drop me a PM, i may be able to knock something up. It wont be pretty but it will be strong.

Personally at the price range you are considering I would seriously consider one of the IPL floor standers which imo may be better value. IPL have a number of drivers manufactured to their own specifications which are excellent at the price imo.

Good luck and dont forget to specify matched drivers ;)

WAD62
06-01-2011, 13:18
Hi Will

The only other kit I’ve built from Wilmslow is what was called The Classic Home Studio Monitor.
I have purchased quite a few drivers and components from them over the years though and made use of their crossover design service once many years ago when I got stuck on a project. Given it wasn’t one of their kits they were extremely helpful.
I have always found them an excellent company to deal with, though not necessarily the cheapest.

What I will say regarding their kits are while the driver selection and the crossovers are well thought out both the crossover construction and cabinets materials can be improved on.

Main stream speaker kits (this applies to the vast majority of speaker kit suppliers) have to be affordable and relatively easy to construct and naturally this places constraints on the materials and design. If you are prepared to take this into consideration when you buy and are prepared to spend extra in money and time on hardwiring the crossovers, using alternative component makes in places, and use better grade materials for the cabinets you can build some pretty astounding speakers at a fraction of the cost a commercial built pair of equivalent specification will cost.

Btw, if you go for stand mounted and you want a custom stand drop me a PM, i may be able to knock something up. It wont be pretty but it will be strong.

Personally at the price range you are considering I would seriously consider one of the IPL floor standers which imo may be better value. IPL have a number of drivers manufactured to their own specifications which are excellent at the price imo.

Good luck and dont forget to specify matched drivers ;)

I'm at the planning stage at the moment, it would be floor standers...but thanks for the offer.

I have modded Mission 753s (all the bass drivers replaced by monacor equivalents), which are very nice and a big improvement on the originals, but are still probably the weakest link in my system. I'd like something that was less reliant on the bass reflex for bottom end, therefore probably bigger bass drivers I suppose.

As wilmslow are only 15 miles away from me, and are as you say are very helpful I may go over and demo some of their kits. I think the only affordable way of getting a significant upgrade may be the kit route, and it could be good fun too.
:)

lurcher
06-01-2011, 13:43
Having seen your room, its not much different in size than mine. I would try and hear some nicely sorted open baffle speakers.

The Black Adder
06-01-2011, 13:45
Having seen your room, its not much different in size than mine. I would try and hear some nicely sorted open baffle speakers.

Who makes decent open baffle speakers Nick?

lurcher
06-01-2011, 15:02
http://www.bastanis.com/lautsprecher.html
http://www2.117.ne.jp/~y-s/kissa-TUBE2e.html
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

for some examples.

Welder
06-01-2011, 15:14
Have you heard the Bastanis Nick?
I believe they have a showroom in Watford. I get up that way quite often and I must admit I’m curious so I may just check them out.

John
06-01-2011, 16:03
The Bastanis showroom is now near Bedford you also have the opportunity of hearing the Salvation http://www.trans-fi.com/bastanispeakers.htm
If you wish you more than welcome to hear the Hawthornes I am based in London I think the Bastanis and Hawthornes are very good speakers, but I certainly have no regrets with the direction I took. Both Robert and Darrell the owners/makers of Bastanis and Hawthornes are good people to deal with
There is also this http://www.impactaudio.co.uk/product.asp?ref=757&session=e85e4c00cb42f52f2e679d9de63940dc but I have not heard it so cannot comment

John
06-01-2011, 16:10
Just thought Nuuk lives closer to you (perhaps 40miles away) and he has open baffles and his knowledge around open baffles is pretty extensive He has experience building the Hawthornes and other designs and is a great guy http://www.decdun.me.uk/index.html

lurcher
06-01-2011, 16:18
Have you heard the Bastanis Nick?
I believe they have a showroom in Watford. I get up that way quite often and I must admit I’m curious so I may just check them out.

No, I just base the suggestion on the grounds of folk who have ears I trust that have heard them.

OB's are not for all, but personally I love how they do bass, you get used to the lack of box and conventional speakers can be a shock.

John
06-01-2011, 16:44
I think what open baffles excel in is some frequences in the mid bass which conventional speakers just miss I also love how good open baffels allow me to hear the drums being realstic and the bass underpinning the music its very addictive. I could never go back to conventional speakers

lurcher
06-01-2011, 18:02
I think what open baffles excel in is some frequences in the mid bass which conventional speakers just miss I also love how good open baffels allow me to hear the drums being realstic and the bass underpinning the music its very addictive. I could never go back to conventional speakers

Yes, I agree with that 100%

The Black Adder
06-01-2011, 23:46
out of interest.. has anyone got any views on Harbeth HL5's?

Stratmangler
06-01-2011, 23:56
out of interest.. has anyone got any views on Harbeth HL5's?

DSJR will have an opinion:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
07-01-2011, 00:08
They might be a bit of a stretch if you've a biggish room or like it loud - 86dB/w @1m

The Black Adder
07-01-2011, 00:10
hmm. i do like it loud yes...

audio39
10-01-2011, 15:43
The Celestion DL-10's are very fine speakers...and if you like to play your music loud these will certainly suffice. I have noticed more of these hitting the used market of late, and quite a good number of pairs in excellent to mint condition.

I own Harbeth M40's, so I like the suggestion regarding the Harbeth HL5's, but you'll need power and lots of it...and even then they won't fill a large room.

Rick.

The Black Adder
10-01-2011, 22:36
ok thanks.. I've now got a budget of up to 2k so maybe this will put me in the picture for some different types.

Open Baffle sound great but I'm after something boxed, simply because I'm after something to last and with two kids running about I'd rather them to be covered.

I'm still interested in trying some DL-10's as a curiosity but can't find any anywhere.

btw.. has anyone had any experience or got any info on these?
http://www.loudspeaker-art.com/emotion%20monitor.html