PDA

View Full Version : Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 21:39
Imo one of the best blu rays to come from the BBC (2Entertain), a nature documentary if you like, natural history ;)

South Pacific (http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/South-Pacific-Blu-ray/4825/). Just remember blu ray.com is an american site & they don't like 50Hz stuff :rolleyes: It's not perfect but even blown up to 2560 x 1080 (top & bottom cropped) the picture is pretty incredible with the right equipment... Sound is as good as you'll get :eyebrows:

Not enough time for other stuff as i need to be up early :doh: Just watching the first part on disc 1...

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 22:38
Not some make-believe monster but a real one we created :doh:

I was always fascinated by pictures of real A-bomb blasts, but here you get the whole lot, video & audio (both are scary as all hell :eek:).. Damn near all the still pictures you have ever seen brought to life on video & more...

I guess we can can kill each other more than enough times over & i think we kind of forget that..

Not the best video but it needs to be seen (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Trinity-and-Beyond-The-Atomic-Bomb-Movie-Blu-ray/8889/)..

If you don't get scared there is something wrong... I think the Atomic Cannon kind of really shows up how powerful these things are :eek: (incredible 280mm shell).

E2A:- Just put a few pics of a that cannon being fired (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=176077&postcount=42). Scroll down a tad..

A film maybe tomorrow ;)

Spectral Morn
04-01-2011, 23:29
I am a big fan of foreign language or World Movies and I bought one a few days ago which its cover seems to indicate is an out and out disaster movie.....

Aftershock is a Chinese film about an earthquake in the 1970s in Tangshan city. Well it is a disaster film but its much more of a family saga. Its a beautiful and moving film with good special effects when needed but it is the story and the acting which are amazing. I was moved very deeply by it.

I watched it via a DVD but it may be available on Blue Ray.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 23:40
Hi Neil, yes it indeed is available on blu ray ;)

Think i'll have to get a look at it as i have been very surprised at the picture & audio quality of a lot of foreign blu rays :) Don't buy French stuff unless you understand French as they damn near always use forced subtitles (can't switch them off), the Germans on the other hand allow you to switch them off if listening to an English audio track ;)

Can't fault the video either :eyebrows: Check out "Astronaut Farmer" ;)

Spectral Morn
04-01-2011, 23:53
Hi Neil, yes it indeed is available on blu ray ;)

Think i'll have to get a look at it as i have been very surprised at the picture & audio quality of a lot of foreign blu rays :) Don't buy French stuff unless you understand French as they damn near always use forced subtitles (can't switch them off), the Germans on the other hand allow you to switch them off if listening to an English audio track ;)

Can't fault the video either :eyebrows: Check out "Astronaut Farmer" ;)

The movie is in Mandarin with subtitles.

I don't mind fixed subtitles but it would be nice to switch them off if you speak the lingo. I should point out that I don't speak any foreign languages.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 00:00
Neither do i, except where you can select the correct language ;) Unfortunately French blu rays force the subtitles even on English soundtracks :eek:

Not seen one that doesn't, the Germans have it switchable so no forced subs or so it appears with every disc i have purchased so far - a good few :)

Time for bed said Zebedee... All the best Neil :)

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 22:13
To finish the evening off...

Law Abiding Citizen :) Excellent blu ray with Gerard Butler (not heard of him until very recently - but a reasonable actor)...

Great film ;) 2.40:1 so my screen is full, i'm loving it :eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
05-01-2011, 22:32
Ok guys I'll start with start with the last 3 movies i watched.

1st 2010 dvd release of Unthinkable, staring Sam L Jackson and Michael Sheen (a great film a bit gorey but it makes you think)

2nd 2008 dvd release of Cadallac Records ( the story of Muddy Waters and Chess Records in my oppinion a must see)

3rd 2010 dvd of The Bad Leutenant ( a remake of the Harvey Keitell original staring Nicholas Cage, in my opinion a better movie than the original, with a good performance from Nick Cage, which makes a change from so other recent things he's done)

Finaly here's a link for the IMBD website, where you will be able to read more about the above movies and see the trailers http://www.imdb.com/ enjoy :)

Reid Malenfant
05-01-2011, 22:43
1st 2010 dvd release of Unthinkable, staring Sam L Jackson and Michael Sheen (a great film a bit gorey but it makes you think)
Hi Mike, i have that on blu ray but haven't watched it yet ;) I'm a tad aprehensive tbh :eek:

Something tells me i'm not going to enjoy it, but i'll like it if you get me :eyebrows: I'm not into torture, but you know you need to see this stuff just to experience the film :eek:

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 22:07
Baraka (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Baraka-Blu-ray/1529/#Review)...

Or how we are making a bit of a mess of things in all honesty :doh:

Fantastic video quality, haunting soundtrack, shame about the planet Earth :steam:

MartinT
06-01-2011, 22:29
I've watched three excellent films lately and one dire one:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: thought provoking and very well performed although it strays a little from the excellent book. Noomi Rapace is superb as the complex Lisbeth.

The American: really well paced (slow) film about a creator of weapons for assasins. Wonderful Italian village locations, the usual thorough performance from Clooney and three incredible women to look at.

A Single Man: fabulous performance by Firth but for me the star was Tom Ford, the director. If this was his debut then I think he has a very bright future. Wonderful use of light and colour to depict thoughts and flashbacks. Truly sumptuous viewing in hi-def.

The turd? Knight and Day. The less said about this steaming pile of manure the better.

Alex_UK
06-01-2011, 22:45
Haven't watched a good movie in months, but did watch Avatar on Sky HD over Christmas. Twice. :) Didn't think it would be my thing, but amazing to look at, if not an original story.

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 22:47
The turd? Knight and Day. The less said about this steaming pile of manure the better.
Cheers Martin, i always wonder about new stuff until i hear some kind of review :eyebrows:

I'll steer clear... Yes, Noomi Rapace could be a goer, just waiting for Dragon Tattoo (blu ray) to get below £5 + delivery.... Won't be long :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 22:53
Haven't watched a good movie in months, but did watch Avatar on Sky HD over Christmas. Twice. :) Didn't think it would be my thing, but amazing to look at, if not an original story.
Alex, if you thought it was good then you really should see the collectors edition ;) I say this simply because it makes the whole thing jell :)

I really like the original film but the extended version makes a whole lot more sense as it ties everything in superbly. They should have released the extended version first...

Something tells me wonga (spondooliks - money) was the issue :rolleyes: As in they want to make loads of it :steam:

MartinT
06-01-2011, 23:01
just waiting for Dragon Tattoo (blu ray) to get below £5 + delivery.... Won't be long :eyebrows:

I have the 2nd film, The Girl Who Played With Fire, arriving tomorrow as it's just been released on Blu-ray.

If you like books, the trilogy are a superb read. Very sad that Stieg Larson didn't live to see their success.

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 23:11
If you like books, the trilogy are a superb read. Very sad that Stieg Larson didn't live to see their success.
Indeed, but at least he'll hopefully be remembered now :)

Yes i love books Martin, far better than anything imo :) You can conjure up what you see in your mind yourself & kind of make it real, more so than a film as i think you have far more to go on as there are no time constraints :rolleyes:

Films are just cut down versions with only the bare minimum covered quite often imo. The original story can be lost.

Alex_UK
06-01-2011, 23:16
Alex, if you thought it was good then you really should see the collectors edition ;)

Cheers chap, I shall seek that out - more amazingly, Mrs Alex loved it, and she hates sci-fi, and can barely stand action films... go figure! :confused:

Reid Malenfant
06-01-2011, 23:18
Cheers chap, I shall seek that out - more amazingly, Mrs Alex loved it, and she hates sci-fi, and can barely stand action films... go figure! :confused:
Has she seen Dancing With Wolves & did she like it? :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
06-01-2011, 23:23
Next thing I will be watching on DVD will be the Video Collection of Mylene Farmer (OOLA LAH ;):eek:) when it arrives in the post from Amazon.

Imagine Kate Bush meets Kylie Minogue, meets Madonna.....and your still not really there...oh yes she sings in French.

Several somewhat sexy videos on there :)

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 00:05
Baraka (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Baraka-Blu-ray/1529/#Review)...

Or how we are making a bit of a mess of things in all honesty :doh:

Fantastic video quality, haunting soundtrack, shame about the planet Earth :steam:
Just watching & listening to the end of this now...

If you want to see a quality 1080P video then this is it :) Some of it isn't pretty due to our westernised human sensitivities but it's a top quality video transfer & imo it's worth a watch or 4 or more :eyebrows:

Just incredible, scary as well in a certain way.

Much as i love films i genuinely feel this extraordinary documentary of video & sound will blow your mind.....

Best blu ray i have ever purchased ;) The most moving thing i have probably ever seen & a few times to come to that...

Alex_UK
07-01-2011, 00:20

If you want to see a quality 1080P video then this is it :) Some of it isn't pretty due to our westernised human sensitivities but it's a top quality video transfer & imo it's worth a watch or 4 or more :eyebrows:

Much as i love films i genuinely feel this extraordinary documentary of video & sound will blow your mind.....

Best blu ray i have ever purchased ;) The most moving thing i have probably ever seen & a few times to come to that...

You've convinced me - Amazon order placed! :)

WAD62
07-01-2011, 13:32

Does anyone know if there are blu ray plans for the earlier Koyaanisqatsi / Powaqqatsi films?...also tremendous IMHO :)

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 13:50
Does anyone know if there are blu ray plans for the earlier Koyaanisqatsi / Powaqqatsi films?...also tremendous IMHO :)
I haven't heard anything tbh Will, i'd actually like to get to see the former myself for the first time in actuality :eyebrows:

I have some music here that was specifically written to be played along with the film (http://www.discogs.com/Dr-Atmo--Oliver-Lieb-Music-To-Films/release/45948) as an alternative to the soundtrack ;)

I'll ask about on Blu-ray.com & see if anyone knows anything, first up i'll do a search though as the answer might already be there :)

snapper
07-01-2011, 15:07
I have some music here that was specifically written to be played along with the film (http://www.discogs.com/Dr-Atmo--Oliver-Lieb-Music-To-Films/release/45948) as an alternative to the soundtrack ;)

You learn something new everyday.I'm gonna pop it on and chill out now.

:cool:

Maybe later I'll play the Philip Glass (http://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass-Koyaanisqatsi/master/33014) version.

Ta for the info.

WAD62
07-01-2011, 16:38
I haven't heard anything tbh Will, i'd actually like to get to see the former myself for the first time in actuality :eyebrows:

I'll ask about on Blu-ray.com & see if anyone knows anything, first up i'll do a search though as the answer might already be there :)

If you like Baraka you'll love them...

I prefer Koyaanisqatsi of the 2, probably the Philip Glass soundtrack, and it was the original of the series, I'll check out the alternative soundtrack, cheers for the nod ;)

On the subject of soundtracks, and great DVDs, one of my favourites is 'Man with a movie camera' by the cinematic orchestra, saw them playing it live at the time, magnificent!!! As it's an old 20s B&W film I wouldn't bother holding out for a blu ray version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinematic-Orchestra-Movie-Camera-re-issue/dp/B002Q5W5IW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294418688&sr=8-3

Looks like it's been re-issued, if you have 'everyday' this is where most of the melodic themes stem from...

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 16:46
If you like Baraka you'll love them...

I prefer Koyaanisqatsi of the 2, probably the Philip Glass soundtrack, and it was the original of the series, I'll check out the alternative soundtrack, cheers for the nod ;)

On the subject of soundtracks, and great DVDs, one of my favourites is 'Man with a movie camera' by the cinematic orchestra, saw them playing it live at the time, magnificent!!! As it's an old 20s B&W film I wouldn't bother holding out for a blu ray version
Ooooooerrrrr, this might be getting too regular :eek:

Looky here Will & scroll down a bit (http://www.discogs.com/Biosphere-Substrata%C2%B2/release/67037), i'm not seeing things am I? Make sure you scroll down to look at the notes :eek:

I'm having a Twilight Zone moment 3401

Spectral Morn
07-01-2011, 16:51
Next thing I will be watching on DVD will be the Video Collection of Mylene Farmer (OOLA LAH ;):eek:) when it arrives in the post from Amazon.

Imagine Kate Bush meets Kylie Minogue, meets Madonna.....and your still not really there...oh yes she sings in French.

Several somewhat sexy videos on there :)

Regards D S D L

Well my DVD arrived today :)

In case you wonder why I have mentioned her in this thread (rather than in the music room)well its because her music videos are much more that that they are mini movies, ranging in length from 7 mins to 17 +. So far we have swept through from pre revolutionary France to the Napoleonic wars and beyond.....

Picture quality is good and sound while only Dolby is also very good.

Regards D S D L

WAD62
07-01-2011, 16:54
Ooooooerrrrr, this might be getting too regular :eek:

Looky here Will & scroll down a bit (http://www.discogs.com/Biosphere-Substrata%C2%B2/release/67037), i'm not seeing things am I? Make sure you scroll down to look at the notes :eek:

I'm having a Twilight Zone moment 3401

You're going to knacker my bank balance...that's another one on the list :doh:

I suppose they are 2 of the classic films of all time, and both lend themselves to alternative soundtracks, very interesting indeed :)

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 17:01
You're going to knacker my bank balance...that's another one on the list :doh:

I suppose they are 2 of the classic films of all time, and both lend themselves to alternative soundtracks, very interesting indeed :)
Take it from me that the first one i linked to will definately be expensive :eek:

It's a limited edition, i'd suggest a look on Discogs or fleabay but if the prices are still similar to what i have generally seen, make sure you have at least £40 handy :rolleyes:

MartinT
07-01-2011, 17:39
I prefer Koyaanisqatsi of the 2, probably the Philip Glass soundtrack

That's what does it for me. I went to a concert of Philip Glass' music last year and he came on stage to speak to the audience. I love his 'circular' music and he has written some very fine soundtracks.

Jac Hawk
07-01-2011, 21:01

Very true!

Cam Diaz is looking old now deffo not what she once was, and also they managed to move San Fermines ( the running of the bulls in Pamplona ) to Sevilla, this realy pisses me off too. Tom Cruse did the same thing with one of the Mission Impossible movies, where Las Fallas, a Valencia festival was transposed onto......... yes Sevilla again, i can tell you it pissed a lot of Spaniards off.

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2011, 22:00
Seeing as Martin (Macca) has reminded me of past experiences of VHS videos played on NICAM HiFi VHS recorders & just because i love this film for it's oddness as well as a blinding soundtrack i'm about to watch Pi (as in 3.1415926545 etc (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/)).. I remember taking a HiFi video player round a friends who had a standard jap system but Mordaunt Short Pageant series II speakers & it rocked :eyebrows:

Panny blu ray player should do a good job upscaling the DVD i have of it, but i'm waiting for the blu ray of this film :eyebrows: Sooner rather than later i hope..

Odd film but superb :) All in black & white to, if you buy it don't think something is wrong, it's mean't to be that way ;)

Jac Hawk
08-01-2011, 16:12
Bluray Pirates of the Caribean, it's even better on bluray. When the movie 1st came out my kids loved it, then the same year we went for xmas to disneyland paris, 25 goes on the Pirates of the Caribean ride, so what ride do you wanna go on next kids? PIRATES OF THE CARIBEAN again dad, yoho yoho and all that:doh:

The movie is great though.

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2011, 16:17
The movie is great though.
I have the trilogy, but i haven't had time to sit down & watch any of them :rolleyes: You really need a good 3.5 hours for each to allow for tea breaks & trips to the toilet & that takes a bit of finding ;) The 3.5 hours, not the toilet :lol:

Glad it's a good picture, the DVD was good to considering the length of it..

Jac Hawk
08-01-2011, 18:28
I have the trilogy, but i haven't had time to sit down & watch any of them :rolleyes: You really need a good 3.5 hours for each to allow for tea breaks & trips to the toilet & that takes a bit of finding ;) The 3.5 hours, not the toilet :lol:

Glad it's a good picture, the DVD was good to considering the length of it..

For me the 1st film was way better the the 2 follow ups, lets see if the 4th film is any good when it's released

Alex_UK
08-01-2011, 20:57
Angels & Demons - Sky HD - the follow up to The Da Vinci Code - enjoyable so far (two thirds in)

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2011, 21:18
Just about to start, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fear-and-Loathing-in-Las-Vegas-Blu-ray/8355/#Review) Time to get jiggy with it :eyebrows:

3414 :drugs:

Half the time i wonder who does these reviews & what they are watching things on :rolleyes: Whoever said War Of The Worlds was a reference transfer needs a severe kick in the b*lls...

Reid Malenfant
09-01-2011, 22:19
Tonight it's time to go a tad mental & crank up the volume :eyebrows:

We have a combined musical experience with lossless DTS-MA audio & a pukka picture with some pretty good music :) I have watched this before during the day when i keep things at moderate levels, now it's the night....

Tiesto - Elements Of Life (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tiesto-Elements-of-Life-Copenhagen-Blu-ray/11221/)

:rave:

Lets go crazy....... :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
09-01-2011, 23:13
Hi Mark

I was thinking with that amazing 56 screen of your's ' lawrence of arabia ' would look fabulous and although many slate it ' Ryan's Daughter ' to me its just such a beautiful looking film , yes a small story set on a large canvas but still a work of art to me , Ireland's west coast and the way he tries to capture that magical light , brilliant .

Macca
10-01-2011, 00:34
Hi Mark

I was thinking with that amazing 56 screen of your's ' lawrence of arabia ' would look fabulous and although many slate it ' Ryan's Daughter ' to me its just such a beautiful looking film , yes a small story set on a large canvas but still a work of art to me , Ireland's west coast and the way he tries to capture that magical light , brilliant .

Lawrence of Arabia - I've got the DVD special edition - breathtkaking film - a true epic - and looks like it was made yesterday except for the use of real people instead of cartoony computer graphics in the big scenes.

Chris - Ryan's Daughter - I used to know that part of Ireland quite well and totally agree:)

MartinT
10-01-2011, 07:32
Lawrence of Arabia - I've got the DVD special edition - breathtkaking film - a true epic - and looks like it was made yesterday except for the use of real people instead of cartoony computer graphics in the big scenes.

Comparably, 2001 on Blu-ray is simply gorgeous with all of the careful special effects looking astounding considering there was no CGI in those days. The Moon landing scene, where all the people appear in different windows - gobsmacking, I've no idea how Kubrick achieved it. Still the best visuals/music pairing ever created?

chris@panteg
10-01-2011, 07:56
2001 is an amazing film , shot in cinerama 70 ! now how would that look on that philips 56 incher :)

MartinT
10-01-2011, 08:23
When I saw it in 70mm it was the first and only time that I saw a film get a standing ovation in the cinema. That was its power!

chris@panteg
10-01-2011, 08:31
Hi Martin

Agreed its an astounding art movie , my pal John is an english lecturer and media teacher , and he often uses this movie in class along with Forbidden planet , and films by Verner Hertzog .

Covenant
10-01-2011, 08:52
Why do so many people think that 2001 is difficult to understand? The monilith is a communication device, when its uncovered on the moon it warns the powers that be that Earth has reached a stage when it humanity is capable of its own genocide. The Star Child is just a representation of a protective force looking after the Earth.
Thats the way I see it anyway.

chris@panteg
10-01-2011, 09:37
Hi Jerry

A lot of people don't like to use their brain when watching movies , and prefer films like Transformer's or Rambo :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
10-01-2011, 12:14
You gits, another Amazon purchase I've just had to make! Still, £7.97 with free delivery from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/2001-Odyssey-Blu-ray-Keir-Dullea/dp/B0013K1190/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294661656&sr=1-1) - would be rude not to! :)

Macca
10-01-2011, 12:18
You gits, another Amazon purchase I've just had to make! Still, £7.97 with free delivery from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/2001-Odyssey-Blu-ray-Keir-Dullea/dp/B0013K1190/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294661656&sr=1-1) - would be rude not to! :)

Really? I might have a piece off that myself - 2001 is a film that can hold you by power of visuals alone - who cares what the plot interpretation is?

As to combining music and visuals the other masterpiece in that regard must be 'Goodfellas'

sparrow
10-01-2011, 12:18
Love 2001......never understood the end...Can anyone explain ?????????????

chris@panteg
10-01-2011, 12:20
Hi Alex

Nice one ,what size screen you got .

I bought 2001 on HDDVD a couple of years back for £4 but can only play it through my pc's BD/HDVD into a 26' just not big enough canvas to do it justice :(

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2011, 12:55
Hi Mark

Hello Chris, my head is on straight now so i can reply at last :eyebrows:

Yes, i'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia (blu ray) on this TV or my projector tbh. I can't remember what the aspect ratio of the film was on DVD, but at a guess it'd probably be better on the TV if it's 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 as there would be no annoying black bars top & bottom. As well as that it'd scale it up a tad to 2560 x 1080 pixels & this does make a noticeable difference.

Brilliant film & incredible acting from Peter O'Toole :)

The same could be said of John Mills in Ryans Daughter ;)

As for 2001 i think i ought to get a look at the blu ray again as i haven't played it since i purchased this TV & it'll be interesting to see how it looks now scaled up :cool:

Macca
10-01-2011, 12:59
Hello Chris, my head is on straight now so i can reply at last :eyebrows:

Yes, i'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia (blu ray) on this TV or my projector tbh. I can't remember what the aspect ratio of the film was on DVD, but at a guess it'd probably be better on the TV if it's 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 as there would be no annoying black bars top & bottom. As well as that it'd scale it up a tad to 2560 x 1080 pixels & this does make a noticeable difference.

:

My version is 1:2.20 if it's any help:)

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2011, 13:03
Better on the TV then Martin :)

Alex_UK
10-01-2011, 16:48
Hi Alex

Nice one ,what size screen you got .

I bought 2001 on HDDVD a couple of years back for £4 but can only play it through my pc's BD/HDVD into a 26' just not big enough canvas to do it justice :(

42" 16:9 Panny plasma - not ideal but should still be pretty!

chris@panteg
11-01-2011, 09:48
My version is 1:2.20 if it's any help:)

Yes it is 1:2.20 , that means black bars at the sides :doh:

sparrow
11-01-2011, 09:55
Watched the programme on BBC 3 last night about the effects of Cannabis.....anyone who smokes th stuff should maybe have got a wee fright.

Reid Malenfant
11-01-2011, 12:39
Yes it is 1:2.20 , that means black bars at the sides :doh:
Actually no, on a standard widscreen TV (16/9) you'd get slightly smaller black bars top & bottom campared to 2.35:1 (by the way i think it should be the other way round IE 2.20:1).

On mine it'll fill the screen & a small bit will be lopped off the top & bottom, not a big deal as i often watch 1.85:1 films scaled up & lose quite a bit more :eyebrows: Again though it doesn't hardly ever make itself evident as virtually all the important stuff goes on nearer the centre of the screen :)

chris@panteg
12-01-2011, 01:12
Actually no, on a standard widscreen TV (16/9) you'd get slightly smaller black bars top & bottom campared to 2.35:1 (by the way i think it should be the other way round IE 2.20:1).

On mine it'll fill the screen & a small bit will be lopped off the top & bottom, not a big deal as i often watch 1.85:1 films scaled up & lose quite a bit more :eyebrows: Again though it doesn't hardly ever make itself evident as virtually all the important stuff goes on nearer the centre of the screen :)

Hi Andy

Yes i know on my puny 32 incher there will be black bars ' top and bottom but for some reason i thought it would be at the sides with your panoramic screen ? does it zoom automatically then or can you watch in the original ratio .

Reid Malenfant
12-01-2011, 11:17
I can watch it as it's delivered by the blu ray or DVD or i can scale it up. If i was to watch a standard 1.85:1 film that would fill (well just about as TVs are 1.77:1) a standard widescreen TV panel i'd get black bars left & right. In the case of a cinemascope picture like 2.35 or 2.40:1 pic it'd have black all the way around the picture.

If i scale it up to 21/9 then a cinemascope pic fills the screen & it might crop a few lines depending on the actual aspect ratio. With a 2.20:1 picture i'd expect very thin black lines top & bottom.

The answer is i can scale anything, i actually prefer to watch something like Avatar scaled up to fill the screen, yes i may lose a good bit from the top & bottom as it's a native 1.85:1 film, but it just looks better imo :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
13-01-2011, 00:03
Thanks Mark

That must be some amazing TV , Richer sounds are doing the them for £999 at the moment , another thought ! what about Ben Hur shot in 2.66-1 , not many films shot in this ratio .

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2011, 19:27
Hi Chris, it's odd but the aspect ratio appears more natural to look at :scratch:

I have Battle Of The Bulge here with an apect ratio of 2.76:1 :lol: It results in fair sized black bars top & bottom. The 2.20:1 i mentioned before was wrong, anything under 2.40:1 will fill the screen scaled up. If the aspect ratio goes over 2.40:1 it'll start getting black bars above & below.

Reid Malenfant
14-01-2011, 22:24
Dark Star on DVD upscaled. Looks like a 1.85:1 picture in a 4:3 / 1.333:1 frame :scratch:

Just managed to boost the picture size & keep the correct aspect ratio :eyebrows:

Mad film :lol:

MartinT
14-01-2011, 22:37
Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire on Blu-ray. A good second installment and excellent reworking of the book. Then again, I loved the books and all respect to Noomi Rapace who has made the role her own.

Picture quality is distinctly average, though.

Spectral Morn
14-01-2011, 23:07
Dark Star on DVD upscaled. Looks like a 1.85:1 picture in a 4:3 / 1.333:1 frame :scratch:

Just managed to boost the picture size & keep the correct aspect ratio :eyebrows:

Mad film :lol:

mad but good film.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
15-01-2011, 11:31
I'm gonna fire the box up this afternoon:

Humanoid Woman

WAD62
15-01-2011, 14:02
Did anyone catch the first episode of new BBC series 'Human Planet'? I think it was first broadcast on Thursday (sky+'d it so can't remember).

Absolutely magnificent photography, and fascinating subject matter, which will obviously be better when it's eventually released on blu ray...but even on 1080i it was still pretty impressive... :)

Reid Malenfant
15-01-2011, 14:19
I did see it advertised but like yourself i'll wait for the blu ray. All the BBC Natural History programmes that are on blu ray are magnificent, pretty sure i have the lot :eyebrows:

Macca
15-01-2011, 14:21
I have Battle Of The Bulge here with an apect ratio of 2.76:1 :lol: It results in fair sized black bars top & bottom. The 2.20:1 i mentioned before was wrong, anything under 2.40:1 will fill the screen scaled up. If the aspect ratio goes over 2.40:1 it'll start getting black bars above & below.

That's such a poor film it would be better if the black bars covered the whole screen:lolsign:

Reid Malenfant
15-01-2011, 14:25
Sorry to hear you don't like it Martin, i'm pleased we are all different or the world would be a boring place ;)

Only have one thing to say to you - nuts :eyebrows:

Macca
15-01-2011, 14:38
Sorry to hear you don't like it Martin, i'm pleased we are all different or the world would be a boring place ;)

Only have one thing to say to you - nuts :eyebrows:

:lolsign: When it comes to a war fim I have only 4 words to say to you - 'A Bridge Too Far'

MartinT
15-01-2011, 14:45
:lolsign: When it comes to a war fim I have only 4 words to say to you - 'A Bridge Too Far'

...and I only have two:

Das Boot.

Macca
15-01-2011, 14:51
...and I only have two:

Das Boot.

Das Boot ist gut auch Mein Herr:)

WAD62
15-01-2011, 14:51

And I have three for you 'A Pocalypse Now'...

Each to their own as mark rightly stated.

WAD62
15-01-2011, 14:53
Das Boot ist gut auch Mein Herr:)

Do you know if the full TV series is available, as the version I have is the shortened film cut?

I only managed to see the TV series in B&W...times were tough at Sunderland Poly ;)

Reid Malenfant
15-01-2011, 14:54
I'm pretty sure it's available on DVD Will :)

Macca
15-01-2011, 14:56
And I have three for you 'A Pocalypse Now'...

Each to their own as mark rightly stated.

No, I worship at that altar also - could probably qoute you 90% of the dialogue - sad really;). I just like ABTF because as well as being superbly made its as close to the true version of events as they could manage.

WAD62
15-01-2011, 15:01
I'm pretty sure it's available on DVD Will :)

Cheers for the nod excellent...very tempting!

I might just hold out to see if it comes out on blu ray...you never know :)

Macca
15-01-2011, 15:06
Cheers for the nod excellent...very tempting!

I might just hold out to see if it comes out on blu ray...you never know :)

If you don't want to wait for the blu ray the 2 disc uncut edition is £8.99 on amazon

WAD62
15-01-2011, 15:08
No, I worship at that altar also - could probably qoute you 90% of the dialogue - sad really;). I just like ABTF because as well as being superbly made its as close to the true version of events as they could manage.

I love the smell of...etc. etc. yes I can annoy the hell out of people with that one too :)

I think it's the cast of 'A bridge too far' that I have trouble with, the usual suspects as it were...all a little too old to be credible WW2 paratroopers, still a very good film however as you rightly say...

WAD62
15-01-2011, 15:11
If you don't want to wait for the blu ray the 2 disc uncut edition is £8.99 on amazon

My finger was hovering on the tit...but I'll just hold out for a little more, as it's a classic they're bound to release it on blu ray at some point (I'm pretty sure it was filmed so it should be possible), he said hopefully :eyebrows:

I've waited 25 years already :lolsign:

WAD62
15-01-2011, 15:19
I did see it advertised but like yourself i'll wait for the blu ray. All the BBC Natural History programmes that are on blu ray are magnificent, pretty sure i have the lot :eyebrows:

£29 on amazon, feb release...I'll wait till april then

If it continues as well as the first episode then it will be worth it.

Have you spotted a blu ray version of the blue planet anywhere, unfortunately I don't think it was filmed in HD, but it's probably my favourite in terms of content, the other one I was looking for was life in the undergrowth, and there's no signs of that on blu ray either. :(

Reid Malenfant
15-01-2011, 15:47
No, i haven't seen either, my guess is that they'll remaster them as soon as they realise the money they'll make from blu ray sales. After all, the DVD versions were very popular so i'd expect HD versions to be at least as popular over a period of time :)

They might not get huge initial sales but as more people switch to HD TVs & blu ray there will be a continuous stream buying them imo.

Alex_UK
15-01-2011, 22:14
2012 on Sky HD - brilliant effects, but every cheesy cliché in the book!

MartinT
16-01-2011, 13:17
2012 on Sky HD - brilliant effects, but every cheesy cliché in the book!

It's an awful film, isn't it?

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 13:22
I guess you probably wouldn't like Armageddon either then Martin? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

MartinT
16-01-2011, 13:24
I guess you probably wouldn't like Armageddon either then Martin?

Hated it, but I did quite like Deep Impact of the same period.

Alex_UK
16-01-2011, 17:21

I quit half way through! Awfully bad!

s70rmp
16-01-2011, 18:11
Just watched Highlander on blu ray
Awesome ! They really have done an excellent remastering on this film.
They have even remastered and upscaled the extra scenes and deleted scenes.

Simple ...... Just buy it

There can be only one ! and this is it

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 19:12
Just watched Highlander on blu ray
Awesome ! They really have done an excellent remastering on this film.
They have even remastered and upscaled the extra scenes and deleted scenes.

I haven't gotten round to watching it yet, i hope the picture is as good as you seem to say it is :)

I have actually been really surprised at how good some of the older films i like are on blu ray, this might make some laugh but Kelly's Heroes looks vastly better on blu ray than a much more modern film i could mention - War Of The Worlds ;)

I don't care how many reviewers say it has a reference quality transfer & is faithful to what the director intended when it frankly looks shite. Haloes, smearing & a shed load of grain :spew: Spielberg up your game matey :mental:

s70rmp
16-01-2011, 21:47
I was thinking about getting Kelly's Hero's but had my doubts, is it good ?

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 21:52
Yes, imo you wouldn't believe the difference between the DVD & blu ray, it looks & sounds fantastic :) A no brainer imo but i'm not a reviewer so at the end of the day take it or leave it...

As i said, it looks better than some modern Spielberg kaka :eyebrows:

I'd be happy paying £10 for it & i think i got it for less on fleabay, it looks great ;)

Macca
16-01-2011, 23:04

Do you mean the film or the blu-ray transfer?

Anyway I'm currently screening a doc about Donovan (Sky Arts) - for what that's worth...:rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 23:10
Ganges (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ganges-Blu-ray/624/#Review)

:cool: As usual this BBC documentary looks stunning, even if it just happens to be 1080i, kit converts it though :eyebrows:

Macca
17-01-2011, 00:39
Princes Trust Gala Concert just started SkyArts1 - Status Quo and Clapton (amongst others)

Reid Malenfant
17-01-2011, 10:55
Have you spotted a blu ray version of the blue planet anywhere
Someone is going to be extremely pi**ed off when they receive this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260718235777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) :steam: Especially seeing as it'll be DVDs & is about £8 new :eyebrows:

Spotted whilst trawling through the days listings, it even made me check up all over the place :scratch:

WAD62
17-01-2011, 11:15
Someone is going to be extremely pi**ed off when they receive this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260718235777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) :steam: Especially seeing as it'll be DVDs & is about £8 new :eyebrows:

Spotted whilst trawling through the days listings, it even made me check up all over the place :scratch:

It couldn't be a genuine blu ray version could it?

Otherwise there'll be some swear words in the seller's feedback section ;)

Reid Malenfant
17-01-2011, 11:16
No, it's impossible as it hasn't been released over here or anywhere else for that matter :eyebrows:

WAD62
17-01-2011, 11:58
No, it's impossible as it hasn't been released over here or anywhere else for that matter :eyebrows:

Oh dear...there'll be tears before bedtime ;)

Alex_UK
17-01-2011, 14:37
Slightly off topic but I've been stung at least 3 times buying a listing stating "SACD" and when arrived, was only the standard CD... :steam: I always ask the seller now before bidding now if it isn't absolutely guaranteed to be SACD - I think I would have done the same if I was bidding on this... Trouble is a lot of sellers are just peddling things and actually don't know what the differences are or bother to check before listing!

s70rmp
17-01-2011, 18:30
Do you mean the film or the blu-ray transfer?

The blu ray transfer, it's a excellent film. I had the Sky HD version on the old HD box until it failed :(

Macca
17-01-2011, 18:39
The blu ray transfer, it's a excellent film. I had the Sky HD version on the old HD box until it failed :(

Accordign to an Eastwood bio I have he wanted to re-cut the whole film before release to make it a little less knock-about and bring out the motivations of some of the characters more (particularly Telly Savalas as the sargeant and also the corporal who just knows he is going to get killed) - he offered to do it for free but the studio had just changed hands and no-one there was interested any more.

Reid Malenfant
18-01-2011, 22:30
M. Hulots Holiday

Les Vancances De M. Hulot (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Les-vacances-de-M-Hulot-Blu-ray/15662/)
I hope i don't laugh too much as it will hurt :eyebrows: Pulled a muscle in my back this morning when i started washing up :doh:

I can't wait for "Mon Oncle" to be remastered & released :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 22:33
Thunderbirds (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thunderbirds-Blu-ray/1303/) :o Enough people have complained that it isn't the same 1.33:1 transfer as per the original series, but it looks fantastic (even with the strings :lol:) in 16/9 ;)

Never seen it look so good, only the first episode with 31 to go :D

E2A:- Holy crap, Thunderbirds has serious bass :eek:

MartinT
19-01-2011, 23:07
FAB! I'm very tempted as that was my absolute favourite childhood viewing.

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 23:13
FAB!Oh yes it is!

I'm very tempted as that was my absolute favourite childhood viewing.
Me to, it looks great! The strings are more noticeable but with your Ushers Martin it'll rock your boat i have no doubt ;)

It looks & sounds great, though it's not consistent audio wise. Stuff it, i payed only £40 so no complaints!

Reid Malenfant
19-01-2011, 23:28
I want Captain Scarlet re-issues on blu ray to... Not forgetting Joe 90 :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
20-01-2011, 00:00
By the way, i'd love to see a blu ray issue of Journey To The Far side Of the Sun :)

Yet another Jerry Anderson thing but with real actors, the original DVD was great compared to what i recorded off of Freeview, i live in hope :cool:

HighFidelityGuy
20-01-2011, 00:18
I'm rediscovering MacGyver. :eyebrows:
He was my childhood hero. I loved the way he could make anything out of anything and use everyday objects to solve complex problems.

It looks a bit dated now and some of the gadgets he comes up with are rather far fetched but it brings back some good memories. :)

Spectral Morn
01-02-2011, 13:54
Watched Arn Knight Templar the other day. Nice picture quality but Kingdom of Heaven this isn't. The movie is hampered by a low budget, so all the spectacle of the battles in KOH are absent and what there is....is well poor imho.

It still an interesting story (based in historical fact apparently) and the books by Jan guillou are well liked by the historical fiction brigade, so read the books and rent the movie. I bought it cheap so no big deal.

Regards D S D L

MartinT
01-02-2011, 19:09
I'm currently enjoying Inception on Blu-ray. It really rewards re-watching as there is so much going on and the quality is good.

Reid Malenfant
01-02-2011, 19:16
Agreed, i must watch it again when i'm a bit more with it :eyebrows: Was a little too spannered last time as it's quite a long film :drunk: :D

Looks great when it totally fills the screen with no black bars Martin ;)

Enjoy :) Bet it sounds great through those Ushers :wow:

MartinT
01-02-2011, 20:41
Looks great when it totally fills the screen with no black bars Martin ;)

Enjoy :) Bet it sounds great through those Ushers :wow:

I stuck with a 42" Panny as I thought the 46" might dominate a little. I needn't have worried. People's eyes actually bulge when they see my speakers for the first time. It's the near 1m depth that's the killer.

Oh yes, Inception sounds quite superb :)

Reid Malenfant
01-02-2011, 20:51
I stuck with a 42" Panny as I thought the 46" might dominate a little.
I have a 120" screen on the wall :eyebrows: Yep, 10ft diagonal... Not quite the same as a TV but rather large, in fact it's quite subtle.

As this room is going to be about the tidiest it has been since i redecorated it having cleaned it out years ago i'll get some pics up of the complete system pretty soon ;)

1M deep :eek: No wonder they weight a ton :eyebrows:

ATB chap!

Macca
01-02-2011, 22:06
I'm currently enjoying Inception on Blu-ray. It really rewards re-watching as there is so much going on and the quality is good.

I was going to borrow that off a pal on Saturday night only I drank too much and wandered off without it. Looks interesting...

Barry
02-02-2011, 00:19
I'm an occasional DVD viewer. I have a modest collection of ~ 200 titles (I haven't counted them); mostly 'World Cinema' and 'Sci-Fi'.

Over the past few weeks, I have watched:

Blade Runner (The director's cut), dir. Ridley Scott

THX 1138 (The George Lucas director's cut) 2 x disc

Duel, dir. Steven Spielberg

Being John Malkovich, dir. Spike Jonze

The World's Fastest Indian, dir. David Gribble

Gosford Park, dir. Robert Altman

Stalker, dir. Andrei Tarkovsky.
Tarkovsky's second sci-fi film after Solaris.

Ran, dir. Akira Kurosawa
Based of Shakespear's King Lear.

Bombón - el perro (Bombon - the dog) dir. Carlos Sorin

Rare Bird
02-02-2011, 00:29
Nice one with the THX1138 Barry

10 Rillington Place (Richard Attenborough)

MartinT
02-02-2011, 10:54
THX 1138 (The George Lucas director's cut) 2 x disc

Is that on Blu-ray?

Reid Malenfant
02-02-2011, 10:55
Is that on Blu-ray?
It's certainly available on blu ray Martin, i have it sat here ;)

HighFidelityGuy
02-02-2011, 13:40
THX 1138 is one of those movies that I've just never got round to watching. Sci-Fi is my favourite genre too. Actually, now I think about it I've still not seen 2001 all the way through yet. :eek: I must remedy this ASAP.

Reid Malenfant
02-02-2011, 22:13
BBC - South Pacific, 1st episode...

Awesome both in picture & sound, one of my favourite documentaries :)

HighFidelityGuy
02-02-2011, 22:41
Just finished watching Rambo (the new one) on Blu-Ray. It was a good bit of fun.
I read a review of it that summed it up as: "Rambo cuts people in half with a machine gun" and I think that pretty much captures it. :lol:

Spectral Morn
03-02-2011, 13:54
Just finished watching Confucius.....Wow what a fantastic film,Chow Yun Fat is fantastic as Kong Zi (Confucius). If you are interested in Chinese history or culture this is a definite must watch.

There are also some excellent battles within the film too but its more about Kong his life, personal battles than warfare.

Picture is excellent as is the sound.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
04-02-2011, 22:24
Just finished watching Confucius.....Wow what a fantastic film,Chow Yun Fat is fantastic as Kong Zi (Confucius). If you are interested in Chinese history or culture this is a definite must watch.
Hi Neil, have you seen the 2 part version of Red Cliff (blu ray) as it looks & sounds very good from what i have read? :scratch:

Just asking as it might be your cup of tea, if yes is the picture transfer good? :)

ATB chap, have a good weekend!

Alex_UK
05-02-2011, 20:08
Just sitting down to watch Zombieland on Sky HD - I love survival horror films, such a laugh!

Macca
06-02-2011, 10:29
Just watched the South Park episode in which Cartman forms a pirate club and they travel to Somalia to become real pirates. Not laughed so hard at anything in quite a while; think I almost ruptured something internal:cool:

Alex_UK
06-02-2011, 20:41
Just sitting down to watch Zombieland on Sky HD - I love survival horror films, such a laugh!

It was fab!

Also love Vampire films - now sitting down to watch Daybreakers in HD on Sky Anytime (I'm sure there used to be a :bloodsucker: smiley!)

Jonboy
06-02-2011, 21:48
Just watched Iron Man 2 on blue ray, not bad at all

Spectral Morn
06-02-2011, 22:45
Hi Neil, have you seen the 2 part version of Red Cliff (blu ray) as it looks & sounds very good from what i have read? :scratch:

Just asking as it might be your cup of tea, if yes is the picture transfer good? :)

ATB chap, have a good weekend!

Only seen the single disc version :( Very good film. The producer of Red Cliff is behind Confucius.

Love historical Chinese films.....not big into martial arts movies when its just about the martial arts but if its historical, epic etc...than i am your man. Love Japanese films too, 7 Samurai, Ran etc.....:)

Regards D S D L

Jac Hawk
06-02-2011, 23:14
ok i just watched two programs on the BBC iplayer one about the great Peter Green and another about Fleetwood Mac, both very very interesting

WAD62
07-02-2011, 10:13
Just watched 'Sweeney Todd - the Barber of fleet street' last night...

Beautiful sets, well filmed...and then they started singing :(

Aaaarrrrggghhhh, am I the only person that didn't realise it was lifted from a ducking west end musical, what a pile of filth!!!

Pants in 5.1 DTS, is still pants :steam:

MartinT
07-02-2011, 10:25
Aaaarrrrggghhhh, am I the only person that didn't realise it was lifted from a ducking west end musical, what a pile of filth!!!

Nope. I cannot abide musicals. If they burst into song, the remote is reached in record time ;)

Macca
07-02-2011, 10:29
'Paint Your Wagon' is an interesting film despite the singing.

WAD62
07-02-2011, 10:53
Nope. I cannot abide musicals. If they burst into song, the remote is reached in record time ;)

These cheesy, horrible, Lloyd Webberesqu West End productions are just musicals for people who don't like music...baguette de merde :steam:

WAD62
07-02-2011, 10:57
On a more positive note...'The Human Planet' continues to be magnificent, the 40m tree house construction was quite something to see :)

Reid Malenfant
07-02-2011, 11:09
On a more positive note...'The Human Planet' continues to be magnificent, the 40m tree house construction was quite something to see :)
They had better release it on blu ray :)

Anyone into sci fi might be interested in a new series starting on BBC1 tonight at 9PM, Outcasts :scratch: Looks interesting, again i'll not be watching that either :doh:

WAD62
07-02-2011, 11:17
They had better release it on blu ray :)

...already been reduced in price!!! It pays to wait, Feb 21st release!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Planet-Blu-ray-Tuppence-Stone/dp/B004EPYSBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297077288&sr=8-2

:)

Reid Malenfant
07-02-2011, 11:19
Cheers, i seem to remember this being mentioned before now i think about it :eyebrows:

WAD62
07-02-2011, 11:24
Cheers, i seem to remember this being mentioned before now i think about it :eyebrows:

Yes I confess I have been banging on about it before, but each episode continues to amaze...and John Hurt is the next best thing to Attenborough himself IMHO :)

MartinT
07-02-2011, 11:59
Anyone into sci fi might be interested in a new series starting on BBC1 tonight at 9PM, Outcasts :scratch: Looks interesting, again i'll not be watching that either :doh:

Yes, waiting for that one with baited breath. Sky HD already set to record...

Reid Malenfant
07-02-2011, 21:50
Just because my TV monitor will be out of action for a while due to equipment movement...

It's that bomb again (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Trinity-and-Beyond-The-Atomic-Bomb-Movie-Blu-ray/8889/), must be the dark side pulling me in in films to :eyebrows:

WAD62
10-02-2011, 19:36
Got Pacific on blu ray tonight (I've not seen it so fingers crossed)...hopefully it will purge the memory of Sweeney Todd!!!

As long as they don't break out into song as they storm the beaches of Iwojima I'll be OK ;)

Reid Malenfant
10-02-2011, 19:38
As long as they don't break out into song as they storm the beaches of Iwojima I'll be OK ;)
:D That's one i'll get when i can pick up the blu ray boxset for about £18, still haven't watched Band Of Brothers yet :doh:

Reid Malenfant
10-02-2011, 22:16
Planet Earth, BD 2 first programme - Caves :)

biggzy
10-02-2011, 22:26
John Carpenter's - The Fog on Blu-Ray.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5301/thefogt.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/thefogt.jpg/)

Great classic film, the transfer to BD is ok for an old film, bit better than the DVD version, also only cost me £6 new :)

Recommended if you like these sorts of movies. ;)

Adam.

biggzy
10-02-2011, 22:28
Planet Earth, BD 2 first programme - Caves :)

I have heard that this set of BD discs has image quality to die for, is this true? also is it worth buying? i do like things like this, i suppose that helps lol.

Thanks,
Adam.

Reid Malenfant
10-02-2011, 22:41
I have heard that this set of BD discs has image quality to die for, is this true? also is it worth buying? i do like things like this, i suppose that helps lol.

Thanks,
Adam.
The picture quality is very good indeed.. However the discs are all 1080i... As long as your blu ray player is good at de-interlacing then i'm sure you'll be very happy with the picture quality ;) In all honesty there aren't a great deal of quality documentaries out there, this is one of them, a lot of other BBC blu rays are also worth looking at. Ganges, Wild China, South Pacific (i guess my favourite BD ever ;)) The Story Of India, etc are all well worth a buy imo at a good price, i keep coming back to watch them...

biggzy
10-02-2011, 22:50
The picture quality is very good indeed.. However the discs are all 1080i... As long as your blu ray player is good at de-interlacing then i'm sure you'll be very happy with the picture quality ;) In all honesty there aren't a great deal of quality documentaries out there, this is one of them, a lot of other BBC blu rays are also worth looking at. Ganges, Wild China, South Pacific (i guess my favourite BD ever ;)) The Story Of India, etc are all well worth a buy imo at a good price, i keep coming back to watch them...

Thanks for the fast reply, will take a look over at Amazon for the set.

Adam.

WAD62
11-02-2011, 08:29
Thanks for the fast reply, will take a look over at Amazon for the set.

Adam.

Thoroughly agree should be compulsory for all humans...and on that subject 'The Human Planet' promises to be even better in terms of resolution, I think it's out soon in 1080p...not sure about the 24p though Mark, my player will probably think so though :lol:

Alex_UK
11-02-2011, 09:12
Planet Earth was the first Bluray I bought - thoroughly recommended - I often just put it on in the background with no sound when listening to my hifi. (Still haven't watched Bakara yet, or 2001, both inspired by this thread - my New Year's resolution only applies to CDs by the way! :eyebrows:)

WAD62
11-02-2011, 09:28
Still haven't watched Bakara yet, :eyebrows:)

Get it watched young man, there'll be a test tomorrow morning! :)

Here's another 2 for you not to watch...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koyaanisqatsi-Powaqqatsi-DVD-Christie-Brinkley/dp/B00007DWRI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297416357&sr=8-4

...not blu ray but worth it ;)

MartinT
11-02-2011, 12:16
Planet Earth was the first Bluray I bought

My first DVD was Stargate, it came with the Pioneer DV-505 player. That's a while ago now, but still a good film.

Alex_UK
11-02-2011, 14:23
My first DVD was Stargate, it came with the Pioneer DV-505 player. That's a while ago now, but still a good film.

Gosh, can't remember what my first DVD would have been - would probably be one of a few, possibly Fight Club or The Matrix as I got my first DVD player (the venerable Wharfedale DVD750) in early 2000. (That machine certainly convinced me I will never not have a standalone CD player!) Stargate is a great film, though - 1994! :eek:

Reid Malenfant
11-02-2011, 14:51
Gosh, can't remember what my first DVD would have been
No idea myself either :scratch:I know what my first blu ray was though as i won it on fleabay before i even bought a BD player :D

Danny Boyles' Sunshine :cool:

biggzy
11-02-2011, 15:09
My first blu-ray was Terminator Salvation, its an ok film but great graphics and sound, a stunner IMO among the high def stuff.

I cant remember what my first DVD was, i may not even own it any more as i sell the ones i don't watch.

My last DVD i bought was Sorcerers Apprentice, love the film loads.

The last blu-ray i had was Lord of the Rings trilogy, seen them on DVD, BD versions are a bit better but not mind blowing, shame really as there good films, although i probably won't watch them again lol, ebay i think for those.

Adam.

WAD62
11-02-2011, 15:10
Blue Planet was my first DVD I think...

P.S. The first 2 Pacific episodes were very good, however I doubt it was sponsored by Honda...:eyebrows:

Very good picture and sound quality too :) Gave the sub a real workout

Just hope those idiots at 'LoveFilm' send me the rest in the correct order, sometime this year would be nice too.

minuteman35
11-02-2011, 17:46
'The Shining' was my first ever DVD. What I didn't realise at the time was that it was the shorter European cut, and the longer US cut was only available on (what was then) an expensive import. As a disgruntled punter I refused to pay any more even when the imports became a lot cheaper. :steam: Fortunately Sky recently aired the full version as an 'extended edition'.

Did see the Blu-ray at a friends and something weird was going on with the colours, things that should have been yellow appeared to be pinkish. Checked online and quite a lot of people had complained about this, though no-one seemed to know why it had happened. :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
11-02-2011, 22:03
Bears (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bears-Blu-ray/728/), great documentary, fine picture :)

Strangely i don't even mind the music :eyebrows:

Barry
11-02-2011, 23:11
The City of Lost Children
Directed by Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Starring Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon, Jean-Claude Dreyfus. 1994.

Macca
12-02-2011, 10:50
I have been watching...

Lemmy - the new rockumentary about, well, Lemmy. Worth it if you have any interest in the man and his music, also the sound quality is outstanding.

Mr Nice - about Howard Marks, the Oxford-educated international drug dealer. Not as entertaining as I hoped it would be, but still worth a watch.

biggzy
12-02-2011, 20:25
Just sat down for a relaxing evening and put on one of my fav classic films, Smokey and the Bandit, very good film.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6164/smokeyandthebandit.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/smokeyandthebandit.jpg/)

Not a bad transfer to DVD, less on screen noise than when watching on TV.

Adam.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 20:27
It's out on Blu Ray now Adam :) So is #2

Indeed a good fun movie, i like it to ;)

Alex_UK
12-02-2011, 20:53
Excellent choice!

I've also got all of the Dukes of Hazard on DVD, plus a 1:18 scale General Lee, and various other collectibles... (Including a signed photo of Catherine Bach...) I even gave my little girl her middle name "Daisy" because of the show! :lol:

biggzy
12-02-2011, 21:04
May have to get it on blu-ray, and number 2 as i don't own that yet, not seen the Dukes of Hazzard yet, will get that too.

Lol this cracks me up every time on Smokey ...
Alabama State Trooper: Did you see that? They went right through our roadblock!
Buford T. Justice: You som'bitches couldn't close an umbrella!

Jackie Gleason is so funny, very good comic actor.

Adam.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 21:11
I like the Cannonball Run movies as well thinking about it :lol: Daft but entertaining...

Not sure of the region coding of the Smokey & The Bandit films, but i know they are out there. Probably US releases & may be code free or ABC. Not all are though which is why i have a modded BD player so it plays any coded disc :)

biggzy
12-02-2011, 21:13
Could only find the original on blu-ray, however i mite wait and see if they bring out 1, 2 and 3 on blu-ray in a box set or steelbook.

Only got the first cannonball Run on DVD, will get the rest of those also soon.

Adam.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 21:41
Dark City (http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/Dark-City-Blu-ray/806/) :)

s70rmp
13-02-2011, 08:37
:(
Just sat down for a relaxing evening and put on one of my fav classic films, Smokey and the Bandit, very good film.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6164/smokeyandthebandit.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/smokeyandthebandit.jpg/)

Not a bad transfer to DVD, less on screen noise than when watching on TV.

Adam.

we went to the Burt Renyolds musuem last time we where in Florida, and saw Burt there !

http://www.brift.org/

I went wanting my picture witht he Bandit car, but sadly they didnt have it anymore :(

sparrow
13-02-2011, 15:54
Had the misfortune to see The Crazies on Sky Premier last night...shite IMO..seen it all before and all that.

MartinT
13-02-2011, 18:22
Saw Never Let Me Go last night at the cinema. Deep, thought-provoking film with excellent performances. Depressing but great Alternate History/SF genre story.

biggzy
13-02-2011, 18:45
Sat here today doing sweet FA and watched all the Indiana Jones movies on DVD, just on the last one now (crystal scull), had a very enjoyable day sat infront of the TV :)

Great films, however IMO they should have left it as a trilogy, the new ones ok but i wouldn't miss it if it never came out, still its here now and part of the collection, and i hear theres another coming in the future.

Adam.

P.S. Cant wait for Transformers: The Dark Side of The Moon.

Reid Malenfant
13-02-2011, 19:08
You do realise Adam that Harrison Ford has signed up for Indy 5 :D

Just too much...

biggzy
13-02-2011, 19:15
You do realise Adam that Harrison Ford has signed up for Indy 5 :D

Just too much...

Wasn't sure if he would be in it, i guess he is then lol, lets hope its better than the last one.

Hes getting to old now for stuff like this, saying that though it was nice to see him back as Indi, just wish they had done a better script, and should have kept Sean Connery in.

Adam.

Macca
13-02-2011, 19:27
BBC 4 tonight 23.35 a rare chance to see the film 'Babylon' set in the West Indian community in Brixton, London back in the early 80's. Low budget but very powerful film, well worth staying up for (or recording).

biggzy
13-02-2011, 19:30
BBC 4 tonight 23.35 a rare chance to see the film 'Babylon' set in the West Indian community in Brixton, London back in the early 80's. Low budget but very powerful film, well worth staying up for (or recording).

Not seen this film, if i can manage i will stay up to see it.

Adam.

Reid Malenfant
13-02-2011, 19:33
Picked up the blu ray for £2.70 including delivery :eyebrows: I bet the seller was a bit miffed :doh: Not watched it yet but it does look good from the review on IMDB :)

Barry
14-02-2011, 18:42
Recently watched:

King Arthur dir. Antoine Fuqua. Widescreen format 2.35:1 Extended Director' cut.

For once, a film about Arthur that gets away from the nonsense of Chretein de Troyes and closer to what little we do know about Arthur. The Kinghts of the Round Table are Salmacian mercenaries 'paying' for their freedom.

Ray Winstone is good and Keira Knightly plays a feisty Guinevere. Both take part in violent bloody battle scenes and this extended version has even more explicit scenes

Not a bad film, despite a studio enforced 'happy ending'.

minuteman35
17-02-2011, 12:42
Tomorrow night, well early Saturday Morning, BBC2 are giving a rare showing of 'The Damned' at 1.35am. It's a curious and quite fascinating little Columbia/Hammer collaboration from 1963, and IMHO worth setting the video recorder for.

The film, which is also known as ‘These Are The Damned' seems to be two separate scripts that have been forced together, and is probably most notable for a performance by the always wonderful Olly Reed. One scene in particular has sometimes been cited as a possible cinematic inspiration for another couple of gents.

(Click for full size)

http://img28.imagevenue.com/loc536/th_45962_vlcsnap_00007_122_536lo.jpg (http://img28.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=45962_vlcsnap_00007_122_536lo.jpg) http://img211.imagevenue.com/loc1166/th_45960_kubrickalex_122_1166lo.jpg (http://img211.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=45960_kubrickalex_122_1166lo.jpg)

WAD62
17-02-2011, 16:00
Recently watched:

King Arthur dir. Antoine Fuqua. Widescreen format 2.35:1 Extended Director' cut.

For once, a film about Arthur that gets away from the nonsense of Chretein de Troyes and closer to what little we do know about Arthur. The Kinghts of the Round Table are Salmacian mercenaries 'paying' for their freedom.

Ray Winstone is good and Keira Knightly plays a feisty Guinevere. Both take part in violent bloody battle scenes and this extended version has even more explicit scenes

Not a bad film, despite a studio enforced 'happy ending'.

...mmmm, on the south side of Hadrian's wall they're making wine and lounging around in togas, 20 foot over the other side it's minus 10, looks like Iceland, and Kiera's running around in leather hotpants and a bra...not a bad look I'll admit, but it does take disbelief to new levels. :)

Oh and the Saxons turning up 150 years too early's an interesting one too...

colinB
17-02-2011, 23:54
Watching my first Blu ray, Boune Ultimatum.Looks good.

The playstation is noisy though!

Barry
18-02-2011, 00:43
...mmmm, on the south side of Hadrian's wall they're making wine and lounging around in togas, 20 foot over the other side it's minus 10, looks like Iceland, and Kiera's running around in leather hotpants and a bra...not a bad look I'll admit, but it does take disbelief to new levels. :)

Oh and the Saxons turning up 150 years too early's an interesting one too...

I only said the film was closer to what little we know of Arthur. If he existed at all, it was around the late 5th and early 6th century.

Dates for Saxon incursions into Britian are subject to wide margins of uncertainty; for example the date of the Battle of Badon ranges from 430 to 520AD! There were many battles with the indiginous Celts up to at least the eight century.

It is thought by archeologists that Celtic woman fought alongside men; though whether they wore leather bras is another matter.

I didn't say it was an accurate film - merely entertaining and more plausable than say the John Boorman film 'Excalabur', or anything else based on the writings of Geoffrey of Monmouth or of Chretien de Troyes.

Regards

Spectral Morn
18-02-2011, 00:59
I only said the film was closer to what little we know of Arthur. If he existed at all, it was around the late 5th and early 6th century.

Dates for Saxon incursions into Britian are subject to wide margins of uncertainty; for example the date of the Battle of Badon ranges from 430 to 520AD! There were many battles with the indiginous Celts up to at least the eight century.

It is thought by archeologists that Celtic woman fought alongside men; though whether they wore leather bras is another matter.

I didn't say it was an accurate film - merely entertaining and more plausable than say the John Boorman film 'Excalabur', or anything else based on the writings of Geoffray of Monmouth or of Chretien de Troyes.

Regards

Many Celtic warriors went into battle in Ireland at least stark naked, only wearing paint. They were called The Fianna.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
18-02-2011, 23:32
The playstation is noisy though!

You should have heard the original or an xbox360!

biggzy
19-02-2011, 19:03
Just sat down to watch National Treasure.
Great film, i would go as far as to say its one of my fav films :)

Adam.

Reid Malenfant
19-02-2011, 19:19
Yep a good fun film, like it myself :) The second instalment is also pretty good ;)

As for Diane Kruger 3793

I have so many blu rays here that i haven't watched yet i have stopped looking on ebay for any, i know i'll be tempted if i do. The thing is films such as National Treasure/2 go dead cheap on there now compared to when i bought them :doh:

Might as well save cash now & get things cheaper later way after stuff has been released :hmm:

Barry
19-02-2011, 19:22

Adam.

Yep, an amusing load of tosh!

biggzy
19-02-2011, 20:01
Yes number 2 is also good, thats lined up to be watched next, i also had them when they first came out and i think they was around £12, on the bay you can get hem from 99p lol, or new for £4 from wilkinsons etc.

Hope they make another National Treasure, but hope its as good as the first 2.

Adam.

s70rmp
19-02-2011, 22:04

Adam.

love both 1 & 2

one of the 1st blu rays I bought

awaiting the 3rd one !

s70rmp
19-02-2011, 22:20
bugger I'm going to have to watch NT1 now before going to bed !!!

s70rmp
20-02-2011, 21:29
just finished watching Ghost Rider blu ray to find it on Ch5HD !
Blu Ray much better !

WAD62
27-02-2011, 17:36
Just finished watching one of the best 50 over cricket matches I've ever seen...in HD and pro logic ;)

England v India WC2011 tied !!!!!!!! Good lad Shazhad :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Strauss & Tendulkar were magnificent!

Reid Malenfant
27-02-2011, 21:56
Tiesto - The Elements Of Life

Amazing :eyebrows: Once again...

I know the best bits, crank it up.....

Try 29.21 & onwards, 47.06 & onwards...

Reid Malenfant
02-03-2011, 11:24
Thoroughly agree should be compulsory for all humans...and on that subject 'The Human Planet' promises to be even better in terms of resolution, I think it's out soon in 1080p...not sure about the 24p though Mark, my player will probably think so though :lol:
Just received it through the letterbox :)

1080i once again like everything else from the Beeb. 3 x BD50 discs though so must be a lot of material here :scratch: Aha, 470 minutes worth! Not worried about the interlaced frames as my Panasonic does a fantastic job of de-interlacing :smoking:

I'll get round to spinning it eventually :D

Reid Malenfant
09-03-2011, 21:46
Human Planet BD1, not seen this yet ;)

Looking good at 1 minute in...

WAD62
10-03-2011, 09:30
Human Planet BD1, not seen this yet ;)

Looking good at 1 minute in...

The first 4 or 5 episodes are tremendous IMHO, although the last few tail off a little in content, only in comparison to the earlier episodes however :cool:

colinB
11-03-2011, 23:32
Just finished Alien on blu ray. Really enjoyed it.
Now on to Aliens :eyebrows:

sparrow
11-03-2011, 23:37
Just finished Alien on blu ray. Really enjoyed it.
Now on to Aliens :eyebrows:

:cool:I love all four of the Alien movies..:)

sparrow
11-03-2011, 23:38
:cool:I love all four of the Alien movies..:)

saw the BD boxed set in HMV today £20 not bad.

colinB
11-03-2011, 23:52
Damm , paid 27 on amazon.
They look good. Seen all the extras already.

chris@panteg
12-03-2011, 10:25
Does it have the Director's cut of Alien ?

Reid Malenfant
12-03-2011, 12:31
Yes, both versions actually. I guess it'll be done by seamless branching as usual :)

jon1
12-03-2011, 14:26
Tiesto - The Elements Of Life

Amazing :eyebrows: Once again...

I know the best bits, crank it up.....

Try 29.21 & onwards, 47.06 & onwards...

mark Did not know you where trance fan:rave:..Got the mirage blu ray..and dvd... armin van burren excellent;)tiesto has a blu ray release it you do not know but i think you mite:eyebrows:

jon

colinB
12-03-2011, 16:37

Yes it does chris and the full theatrical version of Aliens. I was very impressed.

Reid Malenfant
12-03-2011, 16:52
mark Did not know you where trance fan
Ah well i'm full of surprises Jon :eyebrows: Rave, Drum & Bass, Trance - all good stuff..

I guess i got into ambient through listening to chill out CDs, gotta wind down at some stage :D

Tim
12-03-2011, 21:03
Just about to watch BBC4's 'The Killing' which I think is one of the best crime dramas I have seen on TV for some considerable time. I know a lot have missed out due to the subtitles, but it's compelling and over half way through 20 episodes, I am still clueless as to who the murderer is. Brilliant script and casting, plus the colour pallete used is exceptionally good, adding to the drama.

colinB
12-03-2011, 21:44
Agree. Better than Wallander.

jon1
13-03-2011, 07:14
Ah well i'm full of surprises Jon :eyebrows: Rave, Drum & Bass, Trance - all good stuff..

I guess i got into ambient through listening to chill out CDs, gotta wind down at some stage :D

Mark how about william orbit?;)

jon

Alex_UK
13-03-2011, 10:21
Not right now, but last night: Jennifer's Body (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131734/) - completely cack comedy horror, but a right laugh, and Megan Fox. All you need really!

Jonboy
13-03-2011, 10:26
we watched the new Karate kid film last night, followed by me and my youngest trying to outdo each other with pull ups (hanging off our beams) and inclined push ups off the settee, don't you just love what whiskey does to you, i have rediscovered muscles i'd forgot existed, they ache a bit this morning anyway

Reid Malenfant
13-03-2011, 11:22
Mark how about william orbit?;)

jon
Hi Jon, yep, William Orbit is good :) I have all the Strange Cargo CDs (that i know of) & Pieces In A Modern Style ;)

MartinT
13-03-2011, 13:30
The Social Network last night on DVD. Great fun and felt like any other Aaron Sorkin written drama (West Wing, Studio 60) where all your attention is employed in just keeping up with the dialogue. There are no empathetic characters - all techno geeks and dweebs busy shafting each other.

I loved "Dating you is like dating a Stairmaster".

jon1
13-03-2011, 13:37
Hi Jon, yep, William Orbit is good :) I have all the Strange Cargo CDs (that i know of) & Pieces In A Modern Style ;)

My oracle lives down town .....hello waveforms:eyebrows:

jon

pwood
14-03-2011, 15:23
The Social Network last night on DVD. Great fun and felt like any other Aaron Sorkin written drama (West Wing, Studio 60) where all your attention is employed in just keeping up with the dialogue. There are no empathetic characters - all techno geeks and dweebs busy shafting each other.

I loved "Dating you is like dating a Stairmaster".

See that could be taken as a compliment...stairmasters go up and down very well:lol:

There was some great put downs uttered in that movie for sure.

colinB
17-03-2011, 22:48
Alien 4 resurection. Strangely this blu ray is not any where near the picture quality of the other three.

Barry
21-03-2011, 19:48
In general music DVDs don't do much for me - especially those done in 'pop video' style. Even videos of live performances fail to get me excited, with the possible exception of Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense'.

Recently I bought two music CDs that had DVDs accompanying them.

The first is Blondie - Greatest Hits
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FACRNHGTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a prime example of music vids played back-to-back: artificial, self indugent and using a lot of tiresome '80s video effects. Best just to play the CD alone, even though the sound track on the video is well recorded.

The second is Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yFeYxkUpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now this is much better. A live concert from London, an interview with Allen disussing the reason why she wrote the various tracks and some promo videos. Even the latter seemed more acceptable, whereas they became irksome on the Blondie DVD. Again the sound track is well recorded on this DVD.

MartinT
21-03-2011, 19:58
The first is Blondie - Greatest Hits

One of the sexiest women I have ever seen live. Can sing, too.

The second is Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You

If only I could suffer her awful estuary English singing style.

colinB
21-03-2011, 21:58
Allen can write a good lyric. Dont know why shes playing at shops.

Reid Malenfant
25-03-2011, 21:12
When this CD ends i'll be watching Skyline on blu ray ;) I know it's a new film & i know naff all about it other than it's a sci fi, that's cool :eyebrows:

I just can't believe the muppet buyers on fleabay :D I decided to take a look at what was going blu ray wise & found a couple of sellers advertising this film so i watched them... The first one sold for over £14 + £1 postage & the second for over £13 & another £1 postage :scratch:

I did a quick search & found the same thing new & sealed rather than secondhand for £13.99 (BIN) with free 1st class recorded delivery :cool:

Bidding wars, who wants it :lol:

WAD62
26-03-2011, 10:01
England throwing away the world cup!!!! :steam:

Hit the fecking spinner back over his head, Dilshan's only a part timer... :steam::steam:

2.8 an over wouldn't win a test match!!!

I don't think I can stand this, the batsmen look paralysed :(

Edit;

Bopara out trying to sweep a full toss!!! :steam:

The only thing that will save us is now a genius knock from Morgan, fingers crossed :eyebrows:

Edit;

Apologies, I know not many others care for cricket but this is just a stress outlet for me, you can only shout at the tv so much :doh:

Morgan dropped 3 times, LBW once, he's still there, this could be our day :eyebrows: Go on Trott milk em...the paddy and the saffer are doing it for england :)

Morgan gone...bloody powerplay again! :steam:

229 I'll settle for that...must get Sangakarra & Jayawardena to win though, this will go to the wire :eyebrows:

Edit;

What a battering...you know when you've been Dilshand! :(

Good luck to Sri Lanka...we were completely outclassed :)

Beechwoods
26-03-2011, 20:54
The Only Way Is Essex... new series :) Sorry, but it's like crack. You know it's bad for you, but you just can't help it.

EkSObIkRdi0

Barry
27-03-2011, 02:15
Have just watched, for the second time, the BBC adapataion of 'Women in Love' by D. H. Lawrence. Actually, a curious and interesting amalgam of 'The Rainbow' and 'Women in Love'; two of Lawrence's novels I would commend to members.

Don't be put off by Ken Russell's sensational and slightly over the top versions: this is a wonderful, honest and thought-provoking adaptation of Lawrence's work.

Rory Kinnear and Saskia Reeves are excellent. Try to catch the second part.

biggzy
27-03-2011, 11:49
Sat down to watch one of my fav films.
Disney - Holes.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1582/holesb.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/holesb.jpg/)

Not everyones type of movie but i love stuff like this.

Adam.

WOStantonCS100
31-03-2011, 05:50
I suppose I am too young to be a huge Henry Mancini fan... BUT I AM!!!

Breakfast at Tiffany's

It's been very interesting growing up with the soundtracks to movies I've never seen. I know the music inside and out; but, seeing the actual movies is always a surreal experience. Anyway, splendid movie. The party scene is indeed hilarious, especially the "face plant"! :lol: One certainly has to look past Mickey Rooney's role as a person of Asian descent. :rolleyes: Hollywood, like the world at large, has always been a bit *&^^% up. But, Audrey makes up for that.

DanJennings
31-03-2011, 07:52
"Buying records cheers me up... Whenever I feel low, I buy some new records.." -Linus

In my opinion, Linus is a GENIUS

Wasn't it Schroeder that said that?!

I'm such a nerd!

WOStantonCS100
31-03-2011, 19:41
Wasn't it Schroeder that said that?!

I'm such a nerd!

:doh: Yes! Noted and changed! Thanks! I must've been listening to too much Vince Guaraldi at the time. :)

Reid Malenfant
03-04-2011, 19:49
Orbital - The Altogether 5.1 DTS DVD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orbital-Altogether-DVD/dp/B00005K25E)

Being nicely upscaled by my Panasonic BD player :)

Just remembered, this is one freaky DVD :eyebrows: There is a shed load of hidden stuff that you need to look for by moving the cursor all over the place on the menu. There is a fantastic track & video i have only seen the once as i just cant find it again :lol: :(

Reid Malenfant
03-04-2011, 20:48
Damn it, just found the audio selector on the DVD now it's ended :doh: Oh well a few tracks in DTS are going on again...DD 5.1 is pish :eyebrows:

Ahhh, that's better 4074

Alex_UK
03-04-2011, 21:48
Last night, but didn't get a chance to post - "Hot Tub Time Machine" - what a hoot!

The Grand Wazoo
03-04-2011, 23:11
I watched a recording of 'The Blue Brothers' the other night. It was recorded off-air, very late one night recently & it had a bloke doing signing sub-titles in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
I have to say that during the first song on the film it was rather amusing to see someone doing sign language to the lyrics 'she caught the Katy & left me a mule to ride'

MartinT
04-04-2011, 06:50
There is a fantastic track & video i have only seen the once as i just cant find it again :lol: :(

Have you tried stopping the disc and then directly accessing the tracks with next/previous? That often works to get to stuff otherwise hidden in the menu.

Reid Malenfant
04-04-2011, 08:46
Have you tried stopping the disc and then directly accessing the tracks with next/previous? That often works to get to stuff otherwise hidden in the menu.
Yes, it doesn't work like that though Martin. Once it's in the player you find an arrow & an exit sign :eyebrows: If you move to the arrow you then get the standard album tracks which you can play in order or skip through. There is more stuff if you take the exit as well.

However, what you don't know is that you can possibly select a track & then move left or right & possibly up or down once you have done that & find something hidden. A little like "easter eggs" on blu rays ;)

There are about 15 hidden tracks, i guess i should have made a map of where to move to when i found this stuff previously :doh:

MartinT
04-04-2011, 10:20
Yes but I meant stopping the disc completely, which closes the menu, then accessing tracks directly, or won't it let you do that?

Reid Malenfant
04-04-2011, 10:25
No, that's why i say it's like a blu ray in structure ;)

It's their way or no way :eyebrows: Does make it interesting though, one day when i have the time i'll go through the whole lot again & make a map :)

MartinT
04-04-2011, 10:36
Or get a BD drive for the PC and analyse it that way.

Reid Malenfant
04-04-2011, 11:17
Or get a BD drive for the PC and analyse it that way.
:idea: Actually i don't need a BD drive to see exactly what's on there :doh: All i need to do is analyze it with DVD Shrink to see exactly how many tracks there are. It won't tell me how to access them but at least i'll know what's on there for sure at last ;)

Now why didn't i think of that :scratch:

:lol:

Reid Malenfant
04-04-2011, 18:26
Well it appears there are 21 hidden tracks on the Orbital DVD :eek: 5 of them are the same videos but done from different camera angles, one being done in two extra angles.. That kind of makes sense as i must have watched Brian Cant a couple of times in one video but different :eyebrows:

I could be sneaky & select every video in DTS format & transfer them with no menu etc to a new disc so the titles simply follow on from each other & burn the result :hmm: :whistle:

:lolsign:

Barry
05-04-2011, 00:25
I watched a recording of 'The Blues Brothers' the other night. It was recorded off-air, very late one night recently & it had a bloke doing signing sub-titles in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
I have to say that during the first song on the film it was rather amusing to see someone doing sign language to the lyrics 'she caught the Katy & left me a mule to ride'

One of my favourite DVDs!

"There's two guys outside: one of them's asking for dry white toast; the other, a whole fried chicken. Why that's 'Joliet' Jake and Elwood - the Blues Brothers!"

Spectral Morn
07-04-2011, 11:51
Just finished watching The Pacific.

While not as good as Band of Brothers as a series, it is still an incredibly moving experience to watch. I can only stand in admiration of those who's lives are portrayed in this series and wonder how they could ever live normal lives again.

Picture quality on the DVDs was excellent as was the sound and music.

Regards D S D L

MartinT
07-04-2011, 12:34
Agreed, Neil, I watched it on Sky HD and it was an incredibly powerful and emotional series. What it must have been actually like is impossible for me to imagine.

Spectral Morn
07-04-2011, 12:53
Agreed, Neil, I watched it on Sky HD and it was an incredibly powerful and emotional series. What is must have been actually like is impossible for me to imagine.

Agreed.

The European theatre of war had its horrors but the campaign against the Bushido fuelled Japanese soldiers was truly horrific as they fought to the death holding onto any and every bit of ground they had taken until the mostly American soldiers started fighting them on Japanese land....it got worse then as civilians either used themselves as human shields or bombs or committed suicide.

The whole thing was Hell on earth in my opinion.

Regards D S D L

WAD62
07-04-2011, 21:15
Agreed.

The European theatre of war had its horrors but the campaign against the Bushido fuelled Japanese soldiers was truly horrific as they fought to the death holding onto any and every bit of ground they had taken until the mostly American soldiers started fighting them on Japanese land....it got worse then as civilians either used themselves as human shields or bombs or committed suicide.

The whole thing was Hell on earth in my opinion.

Regards D S D L

Absolutely agree chaps...no one could possibly imagine the sheer horror apart from the participants. My Granddad was on the Somme at the age of 16, when I was a kid I used to try to get him to talk about it...when you get older you realise why he wouldn't.

I saw it recently on Blu-Ray/DTS recently too, excellent cinematography, and sound. It's also, I imagine, fairly accurate...which makes watching some of the scenes all the more harrowing. But best of all it's not done in a sentimental/hollywood way, probably something to do with it being based on true/ish storyline. :)

Cliff
08-04-2011, 10:33
Hope this is not too much of an abrupt change of pace, but I am currently watching Midsomer Murders "The Maid in Splendour".
Sophie Hunter, who guest starred in the episode, is a real cutie.
Beautiful village and natural surroundings as usual.
My wife and I have the entire series collection on DVD, along with many other British mystery and detective series, which we really enjoy.
Cheers,
Cliff

chris@panteg
09-04-2011, 11:55
Last night i watched , ' Control ' the story of Ian Curtis and Joy division , sad and tragic but an excellent film , Closer is an amazing album and a fitting monument to ' Curtis .

Tim
09-04-2011, 12:00
' Control ' the story of Ian Curtis and Joy division
Control is a fantastic film, I used to like Joy Division before seeing it the first time (on about 5 times now!), but didn't know much about them. It made me look into them a lot more and discover how good they were, especially Ian. Brilliant film and a must for all music fans I reckon. I thought Sam Riley was superb as Curtis.

chris@panteg
09-04-2011, 12:19
Control is a fantastic film, I used to like Joy Division before seeing it the first time (on about 5 times now!), but didn't know much about them. It made me look into them a lot more and discover how good they were, especially Ian. Brilliant film and a must for all music fans I reckon. I thought Sam Riley was superb as Curtis.

Yeah he looked so much like him as well , great casting ! and he did the epileptic dance brilliantly .

What a sad end though :(

Reid Malenfant
10-04-2011, 11:21
Time to get spaced out :eyebrows:

Wonders Of The Universe (blu ray) :)

jon1
10-04-2011, 12:43
Time to get spaced out :eyebrows:

Wonders Of The Universe (blu ray) :)

Keep up the good work mark:eyebrows:;)

jon

MartinT
10-04-2011, 13:35
The number of years until maximum entropy that Brian Cox quotes in (I think) the first programme is laughably staggering. I think he says 'trillion' nine times, referring to the number of years to the heat death of the universe.

s70rmp
10-04-2011, 15:20
was watching RED blu ray just before, love the humour in. Makes me laugh everytime.

Reid Malenfant
15-04-2011, 20:48
Ah, back to the big bangs :eyebrows:

Trinity & beyond (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Trinity-and-Beyond-The-Atomic-Bomb-Movie-Blu-ray/8889/)

I'm not sure why but this disc fascinates me & scares the hell out of me at the same time :eek: It's kind of popular round here :eyebrows:

MartinT
15-04-2011, 22:43
Skyline

Oh dear. What a steaming pile of putrid poo. Waste of SFX budget. Waste of 1 hour of my life - I couldn't be arsed to see it to the end. Avoid.