PDA

View Full Version : Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Tim
08-10-2012, 21:07
Monsters is superb, probably an unfair comparison.
Indeed not to be compared, I think where I struggled a bit was that it wasn't quite what I was expecting - I'm not sure what it was that I was expecting, maybe having heard the soundtrack I thought it was going to be something else.
Might try it again just to see. I did enjoy it, but I found it all rather predictable and it didn't really engage the grey matter - I like a film where you have to think about what's going on ;)

Reid Malenfant
10-10-2012, 20:21
Listening to some darkness kind of made me want to see some :eyebrows:

The Medusa Touch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077921/)

Got to love Mr Burton, he was made for this kind of stuff :cool:

One of my favourite films, should look a good deal better than it used to, with the iScan upscaling things :)

See you all tomorrow :wave:

Roy S
11-10-2012, 21:37
'Rock of Ages' extended edition (not sure about this, don't usually do musicals...)

Reid Malenfant
11-10-2012, 21:49
Time for a laugh...

Army Of Darkness (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/), I'm watching the blu ray of this :)

Hopefully good for a laugh, if that doesn't work, hopefully Embeth Davidz will make up for it....

She's hot imho :D

Hahaha, damn it looks like a half decent picture :)

MartinT
11-10-2012, 22:08
Hunted.

Great series to replace the late lamented Spooks, and Melissa George is gorgeous.

MikeMusic
12-10-2012, 07:08
Person of Interest

Very good US series
Now part way through S1
Suggest you wait until they repeat as it builds nicely
If you watch the trailors you get a lot of spoilers

Canetoad
12-10-2012, 07:28
Watching both those. I particularly liked the first episode of Hunted. Shades of the Strike Back series but a little more subtle. :)

Beechwoods
12-10-2012, 07:31
Best thing on TV at the moment Mike, though it seems to be located in the most dangerous district in America!

MikeMusic
12-10-2012, 07:47
Best thing on TV at the moment Mike, though it seems to be located in the most dangerous district in America!

Quite !
That for drama, Mock the Week for insane comedy
I'm very keen for the repeat as I missed the pilot !

Roy S
13-10-2012, 23:01
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/heat.jpg

Macca
14-10-2012, 08:47

Ooh top drawer - a film to put hairs on yer chest, that one. De Niro is the baddy but you are rooting for him by the end - well I am anyway ;)

Canetoad
14-10-2012, 10:10
The gun battle outside the bank sounds great using surround sound! Gunfire coming from all angles and directions. :)

MikeMusic
14-10-2012, 10:52

Good sound track album too

Roy S
14-10-2012, 11:01
Ooh top drawer - a film to put hairs on yer chest, that one. De Niro is the baddy but you are rooting for him by the end - well I am anyway ;)

Yes, Pacino's character's not that likeable although De Niro does seem to enjoy shooting people in the face

Macca
14-10-2012, 11:05
Thinking about it quite a few films are based around the idea of a gangster who decides to give it all up and ride off into the sunset with the girl, only to have it all go tits up - as well as Heat there is also Carlito's way and Menace 2 Society off the top of my head.

MartinT
14-10-2012, 17:14

Top class, top quality 10/10 film that puts characterisation first but still manages to feature some stunning action sequences. Excellent performances by the whole cast. This is what good films are all about.

StanleyB
14-10-2012, 21:28
An evening with Any Williams now on BBC4.

Tim
17-10-2012, 20:11
HEAT is one of my top 10 films of all time - an absolute classic :)

zygote23
21-10-2012, 15:14
Prometheus.....hated it in the cinema...bought the 3d blu just cos I bought a new telly......enjoying the movie better second time around....ish!

Macca
22-10-2012, 12:38
The old, original Flash Gordon serial from the 1930s - available complete on u-tube and the sound and picture are of acceptable quality even on a 50'' screen. last time I saw this was 1979 when they showed it on BBC2 at tea-time. Brillliant stuff, still totally watchable and my god Jean Rogers (Dale Arden) was fit. Don't recall noticing that back in '79 :eyebrows:

Marco
22-10-2012, 19:12
Brilliant film tonight on Channel 5 at 11.15pm - 'Vacancy'. Never stop at bleak, lonely country hotels, especially when your car breaks down on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Roy S
22-10-2012, 20:24
British Invasion - Small Faces (Sky Arts on demand)

Roy S
22-10-2012, 21:24
Now Dusty Springfield from same series

Roy S
23-10-2012, 20:27
Wheeler Dealers - they're restoring an Isetta bubble car

walpurgis
26-10-2012, 18:10
As for films. I'd like to see Cool Hand Luke again. Still my favourite.

Here's a few goodies from my collection. Electraglide in Blue, Zatoichi, Miami Blues, The Big Lebowski, Ong-Bak, Get Shorty, The Station Agent, Drag Me To Hell, Onibaba, Wise Blood, Nobody's fool, Arlington Road, The Tailor of Panama, The Big Sleep, etc.

And so many more. I only keep films that stand rewatching obviously and like to regard those in my collection as 'Classics' (whatever that means to each of us).

Barry
26-10-2012, 19:07
As for films. I'd like to see Cool Hand Luke again. Still my favourite.

Here's a few goodies from my collection. Electraglide in Blue, Zatoichi, Miami Blues, The Big Lebowski, Ong-Bak, Get Shorty, The Station Agent, Drag Me To Hell, Onibaba, Wise Blood, Nobody's fool, Arlington Road, The Tailor of Panama, The Big Sleep, etc.

And so many more. I only keep films that stand rewatching obviously and like to regard those in my collection as 'Classics' (whatever that means to each of us).

Excellent films!

walpurgis
26-10-2012, 19:14
Barry, have you seen Wise Blood? Its one of a kind, rather dark and strange!

Reid Malenfant
27-10-2012, 21:12
Someone mentioned the music to this film on a thread recently, not generally my kind of music, but from what I remember it is rather outstanding sound quality wise :)

Into The Wild (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Into-the-Wild-Blu-ray/1804/#Review), one of the best films I have experienced...

Time to see it again, see you all again soon :wave:

Barry
27-10-2012, 22:25
Yesterday, on BBC2 (after 'Later'), I watched 'Molière', a wonderful film about the 17th century French playwright.

Essentially based around his comedy of manners: 'Tartuffe ou le posteur', this was an excellent introduction to the world of Molière and his extraordinary observation of the ludicrous, and ridiculous, social etiquette of the middle and upper classes of 17th century France.

Roy S
28-10-2012, 00:40
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/wm.jpg

Rare Bird
31-10-2012, 07:46
'The Shining' was on early hours, i like it even being 1980, all though it's a totally different film i love that same Stanley Kubrick atmosphere as Clockwork Orange..

Roy S
31-10-2012, 22:18
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519zsXoRPBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Series 8 from '74)

MikeMusic
01-11-2012, 07:51
Channel 5

Grim and realistic
Takes you there and makes uncomfortable viewing

Roy S
03-11-2012, 00:48
The Comic Strip presents 'Mr.Jolly lives next door', Gold+1

chris@panteg
03-11-2012, 12:10
The godfather part two , masterpiece !

Pubic enemies .

Rare Bird
08-11-2012, 14:43
I watched 'In Like Flint' (James Coburn) other afternoon, i'd not seen that for years, it dawned on me i didnt have the DVD nor have i got 'Our Man Flint' for that matter.. I could have sworn i had em on VHS!..anyhoots bought both yesturday for less than a fiver :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
08-11-2012, 18:47
The Avengers ''Noon Doomsday'' & ''Look (Stop Me If You've Heard This One)...But There Were These Two Fellers''

Macca
08-11-2012, 21:32
I watched 'In Like Flint' (James Coburn) other afternoon, i'd not seen that for years, it dawned on me i didnt have the DVD nor have i got 'Our Man Flint' for that matter.. I could have sworn i had em on VHS!..anyhoots bought both yesturday for less than a fiver :eyebrows:

'Our Man Flint' was one of my old man's favourite film. He loved the bit where Flint sontaneously kills one of the guards in the American headquarters.

'What the hell are you doing Flint?'

'He was wearing a medal for the Battle of the Bulge'

'So what?'

'There was no medal for the Battle of the Bulge'

Priceless.

Macca
10-11-2012, 22:56
'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?'

Classic stuff from back when telly was good.

Jonboy
10-11-2012, 23:38
The expendables, great corny action film

Barry
11-11-2012, 23:31
The Taylor of Panama

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CANGVQJCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tim
12-11-2012, 22:04
Just about to sit down to this after a rather long day at work

Bright Star

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ha5Br8fNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A Jane Campion drama based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats' untimely death at the age of 25.

synsei
14-11-2012, 04:17
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr1Z8u74UMEinQ2VPFvc1WFvDC-pUeWyv2EUAxwM87Gia9Xxqm7g

(2011) Ewan McGregor, Eva Green & Lauren Tempany
Directed by: David Mackenzie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ny2yh/Perfect_Sense/

Watched this on BBC iPlayer this evening on a whim. I'd heard nothing about it other than the short description of the plot which accompanies it on iPlayer. If you intend to watch it I urge you not to read the description because despite the economy with which it has been written it did impact on the shocking but gradual plot reveal during the movie.

This is a brilliantly made film with a truly disturbing plot, of which I will reveal nothing as it would spoil the experience entirely. If you have not seen this before then do yourself a favour and make some time to do so, you won't be disappointed.

suryan
19-11-2012, 14:48
Watched Fast Five yesterday. kid loved it, okay for a timepass.

Roy S
24-11-2012, 13:35
Ultimate No.1s at the BBC on BBC4 catch-up

Rare Bird
24-11-2012, 16:10
At work forced to watch Formula 1 :steam: Geeeez i hate Sport beyone belief.

MikeMusic
24-11-2012, 16:17
At work forced to watch Formula 1 :steam: Geeeez i hate Sport beyone belief.
You could get some sleep in watching F1 though !
:)

MartinT
24-11-2012, 22:29
Each to their own, guys. F1 gives me all the sports buzz I need - technology combined with razor edge wits and two hours of dicing with catastrophe. Fantastic!

MikeMusic
25-11-2012, 12:28
Each to their own, guys. F1 gives me all the sports buzz I need - technology combined with razor edge wits and two hours of dicing with catastrophe. Fantastic!

I've been persuaded to watch today's race by the tree surgeon that was working to clear big poplar from our road today.
Don't think it can be that good, but I'll give it a go
My previous counter to F1 was MotoGp but that has faded and nearly always upstaged by the support Moto2 and Moto3 races. The guys in that being too mad and young to have any fear

The Grand Wazoo
26-11-2012, 00:34
Mike, never listen to anyone who works with trees. They're not to be trusted - lying bastards the lot of 'em!

MartinT
26-11-2012, 07:00
I've been persuaded to watch today's race by the tree surgeon that was working to clear big poplar from our road today.
Don't think it can be that good, but I'll give it a go

And...? Fantastic race, or what?

MikeMusic
26-11-2012, 07:51
Mike, never listen to anyone who works with trees. They're not to be trusted - lying bastards the lot of 'em!
I think I know who you mean
This guy looked trustworthy and had responded to a call from a neighbour early Sunday am to remove one of my ex Poplars from across the road.

I watched the F1
Found it intermittently boring, annoying and slightly interesting. Overlong for sure.
I can see why the commentators on the Beeb for MotoGp keep their jobs now.
The F1 guy is worse. Had to turn the sound down. All the excitement of Toby Moody's voice, Eurosport but with nothing else

MartinT
26-11-2012, 08:01
I can see why the commentators on the Beeb for MotoGp keep their jobs now.
The F1 guy is worse. Had to turn the sound down. All the excitement of Toby Moody's voice, Eurosport but with nothing else

Ah yes, it's the Sky F1 broadcast you needed, with Martin Brundle and Crofty commentating.

The Grand Wazoo
26-11-2012, 08:03
:)I think I know who you mean

I was kidding a bit Mike - take a look at my avatar - it refers to my profession!

MikeMusic
26-11-2012, 08:03
And...? Fantastic race, or what?

First one I have seen for a couple of years. First one I tried to watch for some years. I whizzed through quite large chunks
I assume F1 has changed a lot. The tyres ? my tree surgeon friend indicated
Certainly not the usual high speed procession I expected
The cars or drivers often seemed out of control, maybe the wet track or are there drivers in there that ought not to be ? Senna's son, the Japanese guy and some others
Reminded me of UK stock car racing with all the crashes and part lottery. That's a lot more cars than I remember
Vettell was so lucky to stay in the race. Hamilton so unlucky to be taken out by what I assume is an idiot
The commentator was awful
And the season finished behind a safety car...
I whinged a bit about some of the MotoGp races this year but F1, for me, lags behind that. Perhaps the bikes add another dimension with the 2 wheels.
The most exciting motor sport of the year came from Moto2 and Moto3.
Just could not get excited by F1.
I used to watch it for many years.

MikeMusic
26-11-2012, 08:06
I was kidding a bit Mike - take a look at my avatar - it refers to my profession!

Oh really !
Sorry didn't cotton on.
Round our way there are tree surgeons and 'tree surgeons' who are members of the travelling bunch. Not my favourite people

MikeMusic
26-11-2012, 08:10
Ah yes, it's the Sky F1 broadcast you needed, with Martin Brundle and Crofty commentating.

Think the last time I watched he was doing it with Murray Walker, possibly in the box or maybe just on the grid
Best was James Hunt when he could get a word in

MartinT
26-11-2012, 08:25
The cars or drivers often seemed out of control, maybe the wet track or are there drivers in there that ought not to be ?

Imagine your Saab with about 5 times its power. Now reduce its weight to about a quarter. Now add a throttle pedal that is almost on/off in action. Now replace your tyres for ones with no tread. Now add water to the road.

See the problem?

MikeMusic
26-11-2012, 08:38
Imagine your Saab with about 5 times its power. Now reduce its weight to about a quarter. Now add a throttle pedal that is almost on/off in action. Now replace your tyres for ones with no tread. Now add water to the road.

See the problem?
I know these things are like nothing I know !
Got a clue when Richard Hammond kept stalling the F1 car he tried
Seemed to be a lot more accidents and off track excursions than I remember
Not having seen any F1 for a long time this could be an odd one
Perhaps I have to overcome the memory of too many boring races over the many years.
If MotoGp didn't have Moto2 and Moto3 as supports I could skip that too.
Next year may improve - or not
Puzzles me that MotoGp keeps going on about lack of money and there are so many F1 teams which must cost way more to run

Roy S
02-12-2012, 01:43
Serenity on ITV1 HD, seen it before but had forgotten how good it was (avoid having a pilot who was the pirate off 'dodgeball' though)

MikeMusic
02-12-2012, 11:32
Serenity on ITV1 HD, seen it before but had forgotten how good it was (avoid having a pilot who was the pirate off 'dodgeball' though)
Very well worth getting hold of Firefly on DVD, the series that Serenity came from

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2012, 20:58
Very well worth getting hold of Firefly on DVD, the series that Serenity came from
It's also available on blu ray for those with BD players :)

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2012, 21:58
Time for a bit of a cult classic, Hardware (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hardware-Blu-ray/5009/#Review) :)

I haven't seen this in many a year, hopefully it'll be fun :D

Barry
03-12-2012, 00:10
The Golden Compass
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BkTzME3xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The film of the first volume of the Philip Pullman trilogy. Having read the book, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The necessary CGI is convincing and generally the filmmakers make a pretty good fist of it.

Unfortunately it is only Part I of the trilogy, so apart from a desultory hint of what is to happen, the ending is obviously left ‘in the air’.

MartinT
04-12-2012, 23:06
Superb political thriller, based on events in the early 1980s when the American Embassy was stormed by Iranians and six Americans escaped to hide in the Canadian Ambassador's home. This is the story of the plan to break them out of the country. Very edge-of-the-seat gripping drama, with two outstanding sections in the bazaar and at the airport. Brilliantly performed and it's definitely a contender for film of the year.

In Sony 8k digital.

electric beach
05-12-2012, 12:14

Having just acquired an OPPO 103 I've changed from Lovefilm via a PS3 to Netflicks. Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Firefly series, never heard of it before. Serenity has just gone on the Xmas Wish List, never heard of that either and well chuffed to have a bit more.

The quality of Netflicks (Firefly was in HD) is far superior to Lovefilm. A few titles such as Saving Private Ryan are only in HD stereo, 2012 is an inferior quality 5.1 -but the animation '9' in both picture and 5.1 sound is absolutely stunning and demonstration quality.

MikeMusic
05-12-2012, 12:49
Having just acquired an OPPO 103 I've changed from Lovefilm via a PS3 to Netflicks. Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Firefly series, never heard of it before. Serenity has just gone on the Xmas Wish List, never heard of that either and well chuffed to have a bit more.

The quality of Netflicks (Firefly was in HD) is far superior to Lovefilm. A few titles such as Saving Private Ryan are only in HD stereo, 2012 is an inferior quality 5.1 -but the animation '9' in both picture and 5.1 sound is absolutely stunning and demonstration quality.

Haven't watched the DVD for ages. All and any watching has been via the Tivo
Be an idea to watch a film this weekend to see what has happened to the sound with the Ultimates doing their bit in the system

That Oppo has some spec !

Reid Malenfant
05-12-2012, 21:59
Film time :) I'm pretty sure that the last time I saw this film it was spinning on a Panasonic BD player, it'll be interesting to see what it looks like now on an Oppo... I know it'll sound a whole lot better with the proper DTS-MA decoding :eyebrows:

Surrogates (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Surrogates-Blu-ray/8003/#Review)

I feel pretty sure that Barry mentioned this film a while back, it's probably better than you'd expect ;)

See you all soon :wave:

MartinT
05-12-2012, 22:08
Surrogates

Good film, Mark.

Barry
05-12-2012, 22:23
Film time :) I'm pretty sure that the last time I saw this film it was spinning on a Panasonic BD player, it'll be interesting to see what it looks like now on an Oppo... I know it'll sound a whole lot better with the proper DTS-MA decoding :eyebrows:

Surrogates (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Surrogates-Blu-ray/8003/#Review)

I feel pretty sure that Barry mentioned this film a while back, it's probably better than you'd expect ;)

See you all soon :wave:

Yes I did -and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sci-fi in a 'Philip K. Dick' sort of way.

Reid Malenfant
06-12-2012, 19:37
Yes, enjoyable :)

The only thing that kind of spoiled it for me was the fact that they used the actor (James Cromwell) for the role of surrogate inventor. Now you may well ask why I find that unfortunate...

Well he played such a similar role in I Robot that I was amazed he was cast in what may well have been exactly the same role :eyebrows:

Inventor of the surrogates, inventor of the robots, destroyer of the surrogates when he realised what they'd do to mankind, destroyer of the positronic brain that was controlling the robots as soon as he realised (once again) what it'd lead to :mental:

Other than that it was indeed enjoyable. The Oppo also now shows the limitation of the BD transfer, it was kind of soft in quite a few shots. Never noticed that previously, but then it's a much better player :)

I'm already considering what to watch later on this evening, too many choices :rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
06-12-2012, 21:32
Thought I'd give this a spin, I haven't even broken the cellophane yet :lol:

Prince Of Persia - Sands Of Time (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prince-of-Persia-The-Sands-of-Time-Blu-ray/13469/#Review)

Yes, I have stuff sitting on shelves for quite a while sometimes :eyebrows:

Roy S
07-12-2012, 21:45
AC/DC Live at River Plate on BBC4 :hairmetal:

MartinT
17-12-2012, 08:25
Another Earth

http://nhne-pulse.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/another-earth-1.jpg

Gob-smackingly brilliant story of a girl who commits a terrible crime and seeks to redress the balance. It's a human relationship story and the second Earth discovery is just a backdrop to the storyline. Superbly acted by Brit Marling (very pretty) and William Mapother, who mesmerise with their slowly growing friendship while 'Rhoda' carries the burden of her terrible knowledge.

This isn't SF, so don't go looking for that. The physics of the 2nd Earth's proximity are all wrong, which leads me to believe that it's merely a symbol, a device if you like, for the story's finale. And what a final scene!

aquapiranha
17-12-2012, 08:40
I watched Another Earth a couple of weeks ago and as you say it is a brilliant movie. Recommended!

Roy S
19-12-2012, 21:52
Nothing on this f***ing telly, guess they're getting ready for Xmas.. so I'll join Jake & Elwood for a bit

S65lJGs7YC8

Roy S
20-12-2012, 23:34
The Apartment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053604/

(I'm just an old romantic at heart)

Tim
21-12-2012, 17:49
Just going to start watching The Killing III - recorded all the 3rd series and saved it up till now.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/12/20/1356022700130/The-Killing-II-010.jpg

MikeMusic
21-12-2012, 21:12
Just going to start watching The Killing III - recorded all the 3rd series and saved it up till now.

Very dark and leads you up, down and around the garden path - as you would expect
Enjoy

synsei
22-12-2012, 03:38
Seeing as the world was supposed to end yesterday (still here? :lol:), on Thursday evening I thought I'd get myself into the mood by watching Damnation Alley. Yes it's a 'B' movie and yes, it is very cheesy with lots of dodgy special effects and an entire forest of wooden actors but I love it. Best of all are the superb score by Jerry Goldsmith (I'm a big fan) and the truck! Man I love that truck... :drool: Can I have one for Christmas??? :eyebrows:

http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img/item/140/793/281/WoPIB8AroJBVMeh.jpg

MikeMusic
22-12-2012, 08:38
Seeing as the world was supposed to end yesterday (still here? :lol:), on Thursday evening I thought I'd get myself into the mood by watching Damnation Alley. Yes it's a 'B' movie and yes, it is very cheesy with lots of dodgy special effects and an entire forest of wooden actors but I love it. Best of all are the superb score by Jerry Goldsmith (I'm a big fan) and the truck! Man I love that truck... :drool: Can I have one for Christmas??? :eyebrows:

You can buy one of these now
http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/A/alvisspecial/stally8.jpeg

MartinT
22-12-2012, 10:18
Damnation Alley

It's a long time since I saw it but I seem to remember the sky was rather ominous throughout.

MikeMusic
22-12-2012, 10:33
Back on Channel 5 starting with the Pilot, 24th I think so you can make up your mind then - but you have to be quick as it is quickly followed by a torrent of episodes from S1 to set us up for S2 in Jan

Well worth watching IMO. One of the best offerings around ATM

Episodes can vary from 'ok' to rivetting

Very good take on modern society with cameras and computers everywhere, perhaps it is already happening or will do soon

Careful doing research as you will spoil a lot of story lines and plots. I already stumbled on a lot of what happens in S2.

MartinT
22-12-2012, 11:05
Thanks, Mike. It's on 5 USA starting on Monday at 21:00 with the pilot. I've set the series to record :)

Rare Bird
22-12-2012, 14:35
Gerry Anderson's UFO session this afters

Tim
22-12-2012, 22:17
Very dark and leads you up, down and around the garden path - as you would expect
Enjoy
The Killing III - absolutely brilliant - outstanding in every way.

Not sure if I think its the best of the Trilogy as I'm just going to watch the final hour right now, so its hard to tell at the moment, but it has me gripped and I still haven't worked it all out which shows how good the plot is. Why can't we produce drama like this :scratch:

I know one thing though, I'm going to order the Blu-ray boxset so I can watch the whole lot again :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qN6zv1Q8L._AA160_.jpg

MikeMusic
23-12-2012, 14:41
The Killing III - absolutely brilliant - outstanding in every way.

Not sure if I think its the best of the Trilogy as I'm just going to watch the final hour right now, so its hard to tell at the moment, but it has me gripped and I still haven't worked it all out which shows how good the plot is. Why can't we produce drama like this :scratch:

Difficult to compare with s1 as it was such a new experience. We're getting used to the sort of pattern now. All 3 are worth watching thought for sure.
Trying to think of similar UK progs.................... nope

Tim
23-12-2012, 17:05
Trying to think of similar UK progs.................... nope
They're aren't any Mike, The Shadow Line came close, Hunted that was just on was shockingly bad. Nothing really springs to mind, the first Prime Suspect series were good I guess, the first Luther was OK but lost its way in the second series. We seem to have fallen behind when it comes to good drama and are drowning in a sea of mediocrity, poor acting and clichéd predictable story-lines. It seems these days that anything good is subtitled - and as for the BBC and what they do with our money :rolleyes:

MartinT
23-12-2012, 17:20
Spooks was excellent. I really miss it.

Tim
23-12-2012, 17:44
Spooks

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Man20with20taped20mouth-thumb.jpg

;)

MartinT
23-12-2012, 18:38
I loved their willingness to kill off just about any of the cast at zero notice. It made it much more edge-of-seat than the Star Trek idea of stability unless you were the sap wearing the red shirt.

There are quite a few of us at work that mourn the loss of Spooks. Hunted was ok, and Melissa George is always watchable, but it didn't work as a replacement.

Tim
23-12-2012, 18:46
I really disliked Spooks Martin, but I know that's more down to me and what I know - my best mate loves it and we agree about most other things.
Melissa George . . . . I wanted to punch her lights out in Hunted - dreadful actress, truly shocking (IMHO ;))

I thought Hunted was one of the worst things the Beeb have put on in a while when it comes to a crime drama. It promised a lot and even started out with a half decent plot, but the execution was pitifully poor.... again IMHO :lol:

Still, horses for courses I guess, just like music :)

MartinT
23-12-2012, 19:53
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. MG is, in my opinion, a great actress as well as utterly gorgeous. From way back in Alias she made an impact, and her performance as the damaged patient in love with her therapist in In Treatment was very convincing. More recently, I thought the film A Lonely Place to Die was well done and really quite a grippy thriller, if improbable. She carried her part off well.

Tim
23-12-2012, 20:25
A Lonely Place to Die
That's a new one on me Martin, in fact I've never even heard of it - I'll give it a go, never say never ;) .... does she pout all the way through with those dreadful botox lips?

EDIT:
A Lonely Place to Die just added to my Lovefilm list ;)

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 08:28
They're aren't any Mike, The Shadow Line came close, Hunted that was just on was shockingly bad. Nothing really springs to mind, the first Prime Suspect series were good I guess, the first Luther was OK but lost its way in the second series. We seem to have fallen behind when it comes to good drama and are drowning in a sea of mediocrity, poor acting and clichéd predictable story-lines. It seems these days that anything good is subtitled - and as for the BBC and what they do with our money :rolleyes:

S'funny. I never even thought of watching them. Could be some sort of weird inverted racism !
I try to forget that embarrassing BBC scifi series on another planet as earth was dying I think.
And yet so many English actors are in the US doing very well. The Wire comes to mind.

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 08:32
Spooks was excellent. I really miss it.

Watched a couple. Didn't like it.
There was too much *acting* by *actors* for me
Sally loves it and so does her son Dan who knows a bit about 'that sort of thing'

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 09:05
Was expecting I could just about bear this and was very pleasantly surprised.

A really nice story with lots of threads from the different people involved all with a useful back stories
I have put up with Bill Nighy before now and avoided where possible. In this film he is fine, likeable even.

Stereotyping down to a minimum. A pleasant time spent

MartinT
24-12-2012, 09:33
Yes, it was fun if a little lacking in ultimate depth. Good holiday film, but I would have been disappointed if I had gone to the cinema to see it.

Tim
24-12-2012, 09:33
. . . too much *acting* by *actors* for me
Spot on Mike, that's mostly my dislike for it too, seems to be something creeping into UK drama. I thought Hunted was totally OTT when it came to *acting*.
Its a longtime since we have produced anything of the calibre of Wallander, The Wire, The Killing, The West Wing, Borgen or The Sopranos. I have yet to see Breaking Bad, but I understand that's exceptional too.

Never mind, at least we have music and I reckon it won't be too long before I ditch the TV altogether ;)

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 09:42
Yes, it was fun if a little lacking in ultimate depth. Good holiday film, but I would have been disappointed if I had gone to the cinema to see it.
Me too. I turned down going to the flicks to see The Hobbitt as I have more pressing matters to attend to. Sally said it was wonderful and I bet it is.
Can wait until it's on TV. Might even have a bigger screen by then :)

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 09:47
Spot on Mike, that's mostly my dislike for it too, seems to be something creeping into UK drama. I thought Hunted was totally OTT when it came to *acting*.
Its a longtime since we have produced anything of the calibre of Wallander, The Wire, The Killing, The West Wing, Borgen or The Sopranos. I have yet to see Breaking Bad, but I understand that's exceptional too.

Never mind, at least we have music and I reckon it won't be too long before I ditch the TV altogether ;)
Hunted passed me by, vaguely remember hearing of it.
West Wing was superb. Never attracted to the idea of The Sopranos.
Breaking Bad looks like it could be good, especially with all those awards
Don't want to read too much as I could spoil it for myself.

Add Justified to that top end as well. Love the characters, acting, production and probably everything

Tim
24-12-2012, 09:51
Add Justified to that top end as well.
Forgot that one, I have only seen Series 1 & 2, have 3 recorded, but I agree, great show and some really good music too (if you like Americana).

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 10:01
Forgot that one, I have only seen Series 1 & 2, have 3 recorded, but I agree, great show and some really good music too (if you like Americana).
Series 3 more or less maintains previous.
Music was ok. Didn't recognise any music. Nothing annoyed or offended me though as it usually does.
Investigated the guys that did the title music. IMO that was all there was and that track fleshed out to so so

Seems to borrow a lot from the US South traditional defence in court
"why did you kill Mr.Smith ?"

"cos he needed killin' "

Case dismissed, release the defendant

Tim
24-12-2012, 10:33
Didn't recognise any music.
Nothing mainstream there, but too acts that spring to mind as they are favorites are Otis Taylor and Gillian Welch, but if you are not into Americana, its not something most will recognize. I think I'll start watching it over the holidays :)

(did you see what I did there ;))

MikeMusic
24-12-2012, 11:02
Nothing mainstream there, but too acts that spring to mind as they are favorites are Otis Taylor and Gillian Welch, but if you are not into Americana, its not something most will recognize. I think I'll start watching it over the holidays :)

(did you see what I did there ;))

Think I did toooo
I'm so used to working my way through Sally's awful lazyo's (typos she can't be arsed about) I didn't see it first time
<samples>
Otis Taylor - hmm, that's ok - at least, maybe worth a punt
Gillian Welch - ok, but not for me

MikeMusic
07-01-2013, 10:27
Liked the 1st series. The 2nd looks even better.
You can catch the beginning on TV tonight or tomorrow I think or BBC iPlayer.

Like The West Wing with a very Danish twist.

steviej233
08-01-2013, 17:27
I have just started watching the Sopranos (wife got the whole lot for me for christmas) and i am hooked! Don't know how i missed this the first time round!
I have also stated watching American Horror Story: Asylum that is one WEIRD program... not sure if i will keep watching. The other thing well worth watching for both the visual and sound is the BBC's Africa.

Welder
08-01-2013, 18:20
Hunted passed me by, vaguely remember hearing of it.
West Wing was superb. Never attracted to the idea of The Sopranos.
Breaking Bad looks like it could be good, especially with all those awards
Don't want to read too much as I could spoil it for myself.

Add Justified to that top end as well. Love the characters, acting, production and probably everything

I can’t recommend Breaking Bad highly enough; by far the best of the main US TV recommendations imo. :)

Tim
08-01-2013, 18:22
I can’t recommend Breaking Bad highly enough; by far the best of the main US TV recommendations imo. :)
+1 with bells on, bloody big ones :D

Zoidburg
08-01-2013, 21:07
+1 with bells on, bloody big ones :D

Yeah breaking bad is very good, it actually gets better as it progresses to.

The soprano's is probably my all time fav tv series, however I'm also liking Game of Thrones at the moment too.

steviej233
09-01-2013, 08:50
Game of Thrones is amazing, i have read all of the books and the TV series stays true to them. A friend of mines husband works on the TV series and says its only going to get better! :)

MikeMusic
09-01-2013, 08:53

Thanks
Tivo is set to grab it when we on Freeview

MikeMusic
09-01-2013, 08:54
Game of Thrones is amazing, i have read all of the books and the TV series stays true to them. A friend of mines husband works on the TV series and says its only going to get better! :)

Heard only good things about the books and the series
When do us Freeview mortals have it ?

Zoidburg
09-01-2013, 20:39
Heard only good things about the books and the series
When do us Freeview mortals have it ?

I might be wrong but I think GOT is only on the sky atlantic channel maybe. The series 1 box set was only about £25.

MikeMusic
09-01-2013, 21:26
I might be wrong but I think GOT is only on the sky atlantic channel maybe. Im sure you could find a torrent of it online for free or the series 1 box set was only about £25.

I'd like to watch it, but I'd like to listen to more music, more.
As the system improves even more

Don't want to sign up for more TV and our broadband at home will barely stream, 1mb when we are lucky
When it looked certain BSG and Firefly would not make it to Freeview land I bought the DVDs for not that much dough. Total was probably a month or 2 of Sky.
Like quit a few people I have a thing about not signing up for Sky.

So maybe in a year or 2 I'll get GOT on Ebay

steviej233
10-01-2013, 18:09
It is only on SKY Atlantic at the moment and i have no idea how long it will be before they let it go. Get it on Bluray and treat yourself! :)

Tim
16-01-2013, 20:46
This is outstanding :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61mLROb8VRL._SL500_.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2013, 01:06
Yes, we recorded and watched that a few weeks ago when it was on TV - we thought it was pretty good, too.

MikeMusic
17-01-2013, 08:22
Yes, we recorded and watched that a few weeks ago when it was on TV - we thought it was pretty good, too.
Missed that.
What channel ? - hoping it will be back

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2013, 08:30
It was on BBC4 on December 8th (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p65sg) - Marco started a thread about it called 'Do Rock Concerts Get Any Better Than This?'......or something similar.

MikeMusic
17-01-2013, 09:38
It was on BBC4 on December 8th (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p65sg) - Marco started a thread about it called 'Do Rock Concerts Get Any Better Than This?'......or something similar.

Thanks
Totally missed all of that. Usually check every Friday on BBC4
Is there one with Bon Scott on vocals I earnestly hope
Must put AC/DC as a keyword on the Tivo

Macca
17-01-2013, 12:52
Is there one with Bon Scott on vocals I earnestly hope

You'll need to get the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD to see Bon singing with them.

MikeMusic
17-01-2013, 13:04
You'll need to get the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD to see Bon singing with them.

Been looking
Looks like Live in Paris or Let there be rock (also live in Paris)
On Youtube with a few other full concerts !
Try before you buy

MikeMusic
21-01-2013, 12:37
Popped up on the Tivo !

Pick Channel 11 quite soon

MartinT
21-01-2013, 12:58
That must be S3 coming up? Fab!

MikeMusic
21-01-2013, 13:01
That must be S3 coming up? Fab!

Think it's s1 on Pick for poor Freeview punters like me

MartinT
21-01-2013, 14:16
Oh sorry Mike, thought you had Sky. Damn, I was getting excited there...

MikeMusic
21-01-2013, 14:19
Oh sorry Mike, thought you had Sky. Damn, I was getting excited there...

Just a big supporter of Team Sky bike team not Mr.Murdoch

Spectral Morn
21-01-2013, 19:01
Watched Dredd the other day on BluRay. As much as I liked the previous film this is closer to the vibe of the comic, all be it the low budget means no nice futuristic hardware but none the less good film.

Regards Neil

steviej233
22-01-2013, 13:54
It is much more in keeping with the comics, the surround is brilliant on that film. If you watch the raid there are way to many similarities! They have given the green light for another film so i reckon the budget will be much bigger.

Tim
24-01-2013, 16:57
This was waiting for me when I got home - will watch it very shortly ;)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTM5OTA2MTc2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI3NDQyNg@@._ V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

MartinT
24-01-2013, 18:04
Good stuff, Tim. Hope you enjoy it, I thought it showed off Scotland rather well, but gives me mucho respect for the terrain even though I've done some climbing there myself. Forgive the slightly over-the-top plot and enjoy the spectacular scenery and the good ensemble acting.

Zoidburg
25-01-2013, 13:30
This is outstanding :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61mLROb8VRL._SL500_.jpg

Yep agreed, Iv watched it a couple of times now and its saved on my virgin box :)

Zoidburg
25-01-2013, 13:32
Watched Dredd the other day on BluRay. As much as I liked the previous film this is closer to the vibe of the comic, all be it the low budget means no nice futuristic hardware but none the less good film.

Regards Neil

Was pretty impressed by the new Dredd flix myself, enjoyed it far more than i thought I would. Very similar storyline to that recent police / kung fu actioner called "The Raid" though, not that thats a bad thing.

MikeMusic
25-01-2013, 13:40
Yep agreed, Iv watched it a couple of times now and its saved on my virgin box :)
What's the exact title please ?
So I can pick it up on Tivo when repeated

EG
AC/DC
ACDC
AC-DC

MartinT
25-01-2013, 14:21
Suits

Series 2 has just started. Excellent!

MikeMusic
25-01-2013, 14:34
Suits

Series 2 has just started. Excellent!

After only 2 months of adverts for it !

As has Person of Interest and another on the back of my subconscious

chris@panteg
27-01-2013, 17:45
New Top Gear tonight , it's been a long wait .

The Hobbit , very enjoyable .

Tim
27-01-2013, 17:54
New Top Gear tonight , it's been a long wait
Not long enough :spew:

:D

Rare Bird
27-01-2013, 18:00
I was gonna watch 'Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun' this afternoon for the nine millionth time :eyebrows: but the Red wine took preference :cocktail:

chris@panteg
27-01-2013, 18:02
Not long enough :spew:

:D

You no likey ?:D

MartinT
27-01-2013, 18:02
Zero Dark Thirty

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/77/ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg/220px-ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg

Mesmerising, edge-of-the-seat, riveting, absolutely gripping film from beginning to end. Just go and see it.

chris@panteg
27-01-2013, 18:15
Zero Dark Thirty

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/77/ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg/220px-ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg

Mesmerising, edge-of-the-seat, riveting, absolutely gripping film from beginning to end. Just go and see it.

Want to see that !

Tim
27-01-2013, 19:36
Zero Dark Thirty
That's on my list Martin.

MikeMusic
28-01-2013, 10:07
Wish I'd seen this series before we had the house refurbed

Loads of great ideas for building or renovating your house, some just common sense, minimal cost and often brilliant pay back

Programme is padded with the "what you just saw, what you will see after the ad's" and repeats of what you have seen multiple times
but most of the ideas are gems

Barry
28-01-2013, 12:05
The Constant Gardener
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51739BXSCXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Confusing conspiracy thriller. Ralph Fiennes is excellent.

Fargo
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H4K6PSX1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably the best of the Coen brother’s output

Azumi
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KJ5JT3PFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very bloody and daft ‘samurai’ tosh. Avoid!

Tim
28-01-2013, 17:35
3 great films there Barry and I rather liked Azumi, you do have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it though, as it is rather 'out there'.

Markiii
28-01-2013, 19:55
That's on my list Martin.

once i treated it like a work of fiction I really enjoyed it.

I refuse to consider it historically accurate

Jessica Chastain is not only a damn good actress but basically is all of the best bits of Julia Roberts and Geena Davis with and added dose of damn sexy thrown in :-)

MartinT
28-01-2013, 22:06
I think the main thrust of it is possibly a lot closer to the bone than the CIA are comfortable with.

Spectral Morn
29-01-2013, 23:07
The Constant Gardener
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51739BXSCXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Confusing conspiracy thriller. Ralph Fiennes is excellent.

Fargo
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H4K6PSX1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably the best of the Coen brother’s output

Azumi
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KJ5JT3PFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very bloody and daft ‘samurai’ tosh. Avoid!

I loved Azumi - go figure. The second isn't as good.

Barry
29-01-2013, 23:11
I loved Azumi - go figure. The second isn't as good.

Oh well suum cuique. Fortunately, it only cost me £1 in a charity shop.

Natalie NWA
29-01-2013, 23:17
Independence day for about the 10th time. Sky are great at showing the same films over and over again.

Natalie

Alex_UK
02-02-2013, 22:06
Just watched Spielberg's "Super 8" - what a charming movie - something of The Goonies about it, crossed with ET and Close Encounters - very enjoyable and some good effects too.

Tim
02-02-2013, 22:25
Never seen that one Alex, I'll look it up.

Just about to retire for the night and continue with this;

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414F%2Bz3vdJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the third time of watching the complete series and I'm half way through Season Two at the moment. I never tire of this, some of the best screen-writing ever produced by Aaron Sorkin, absolute class. Shame he left it after S4, but its still excellent.

synsei
02-02-2013, 23:00
I've just spent the last week working my way through Prime Suspect from beginning to end, that is quite a few hours of excellent TV ;)

MartinT
03-02-2013, 03:08
Lincoln

Fascinating account of Lincoln's final few months and his fight to secure the 13th amendment abolishing slavery. Lots of talking and a real lesson in American history although I felt like I should have had a primer before going to watch it.

Epic performance by Daniel Day Lewis, who looks uncannily like Lincoln and becomes him in every way, totally convincing. As if that isn't enough, he is outdone by Tommy Lee Jones who summons up the performance of his life as Thaddeus Stevens, the man who wants complete equality for blacks in every way but has to settle for equality in law only.

It's a long film but recommended.

Covenant
03-02-2013, 10:38
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I started watching Game of Thrones last night as my son has been nagging me to watch it for ages.
For a TV series it's impressive-must have cost a fortune to make and it's got some good baddies if you know what I mean.
Only thing is the sex scenes are a bit graphic-lots of doggy style action, very embarrassing with your family watching it as well!

MikeMusic
03-02-2013, 12:01
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I started watching Game of Thrones last night as my son has been nagging me to watch it for ages.
For a TV series it's impressive-must have cost a fortune to make and it's got some good baddies if you know what I mean.
Only thing is the sex scenes are a bit graphic-lots of doggy style action, very embarrassing with your family watching it as well!

Watched episode 2 last night
It's got to go some to keep me watching
Surprising as I have only heard good and excellent about it

MartinT
03-02-2013, 12:41
Game of Thrones is one of the best TV dramas ever made. It's up there with the reimagined Battlestar Galactica and West Wing.

vouk
03-02-2013, 13:05
Game of Thrones is one of the best TV dramas ever made. It's up there with the reimagined Battlestar Galactica and West Wing.

By far, my three favourite TV shows ever. :respect:

MikeMusic
03-02-2013, 14:35

I'm persevering

BSG and WW were far easier to like instantly

Canetoad
03-02-2013, 14:58

I like to include The Sopranos in that list too. :)

MartinT
03-02-2013, 19:36
I like to include The Sopranos in that list too. :)

Yes, I can go along with that.

Spectral Morn
03-02-2013, 20:56
Invasion Earth on VHS tape. Highly intelligent scifi mini series from the late 90's that looks impressive, is well acted and has reasonably good special effects. This was a multi broadcasters effort but the BBC were the main one. Not sure why this wasn't made available on DVD in the UK :doh: :( it should have been.

The ending could have left it open to a continuation but there wasn't one.

I am half way through and enjoying it lots.

Regards Neil

Natalie NWA
03-02-2013, 21:27
Just been watching women on death row, big fan of criminology stuff

Barry
04-02-2013, 12:01
O brother, Where Art Thou?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QzB3k83AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another quirky Coen brothers' film.

Sort of "The Three Stooges" meet Homer's Odyssey!

MikeMusic
05-02-2013, 14:05
Well worth watching, even at over 2.5 hours

http://www.zeitgeistmovingforward.com./

Lots of ground covered and mind stretching involved
You will agree with some ideas, not with some and be persuaded by others

Barry
06-02-2013, 01:19
‘The Bucket List’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zS8XhP8BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Saw this when it first came out at the cinema. A thought provoking, funny (in a back sense of humour), bitter-sweet and sentimental, but ‘life affirming’ (if that doesn’t sound too much like an oxymoron) film about going out with a smile on your face, and knowing you have put your ‘house in order’.

It joins ‘Last Orders’ as another thought provoking and entertaining film, regarding the ‘right thing to do’ as one approaches the end of life.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HKN2AA2PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tim
06-02-2013, 12:56
Saw The Hobbit last night . . . . mixed feelings at the moment :scratch:

Macca
06-02-2013, 13:00
Saw The Hobbit last night . . . . mixed feelings at the moment :scratch:

A little more elaboration would be good ;) - not that I am about to drag my sorry ass to the flicks to see it but I am a bit of a Tolkein fan.

Tim
06-02-2013, 13:18
A little more elaboration would be good ;) - not that I am about to drag my sorry ass to the flicks to see it but I am a bit of a Tolkein fan.
OK . . . . , I'm also a huge Tolkien fan and actually sat through over 9 hours of LOTR at the première for the last film in New Zealand, sat in a cinema of elves, hobbits, orcs and wizards - a fantastic night!

I didn't really like the quality of the production, felt low budget compared to the LOTR trilogy. I saw it in 2D and the 48 FPS (http://gizmodo.com/5969817/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-masterclass-in-why-48-fps-fails) to me made it look poor quality. I was confused at the beginning as it departed from the book and started I know not where with Bilbo and Frodo at Bag End. Need to research that as it could be my error?

It was good once it got going and I felt more into it, feeling like I had returned to Middle Earth. It really kicked up a gear and excelled when Gollum entered the story, as Andy Serkis is pure class in the role. It ended well too and the scenes at Rivendell were also superb, as was the acting from both Lord Elrond (Hugo Weaving) and the Lady Galadriel (Kate Blanchett).

So a stuttering start for me, the frame rate actually made it appear poor quality, not sure if that's universal or the cinema I was at, but others have said the same.

So all in all I had slightly mixed feelings after the splendour of the LOTR trilogy, but even for Peter Jackson that is a hard act to follow. Everything just clicked for that production, not just the film and story but also the cast, who felt it was a one off special never to be repeated.

Macca
06-02-2013, 13:25
Thanks Tim. IIRC Frodo is not even mentioned in the book but I understand that there is a lot of back story detail in order to pad the thing out to 3 films. Not that it is a problem for me. As regards LOTR I thought the first episode was excellent but the changes to the story in 2 and 3 were a little odd, and the ending to 3 drags on and on and yet misses the final confrontation with Saruman in the Shire which is (almost) the whole point of the story. I couldn't do a nine hour marathon in the cinema - not unless I could smoke and drink anyway :)

Tim
06-02-2013, 13:33
I couldn't do a nine hour marathon in the cinema - not unless I could smoke and drink anyway :)
It wasn't that bad actually, there were gaps between the 3 films so you could go off to eat/drink between and the first screening of TROTK started at midnight on the official release day. It was a lot of fun with all lot of the audience dressed up, felt like a party and to be honest it flew by. The whole event was nearly 12 hours in total, with 9 hours watching the 3 extended version films, so it wasn't 9 hours straight :)

Macca
10-02-2013, 01:16
The Good Shepherd

Man is this a long film! If I had realised how long it was I would not have started watching it so late. I like a good cloak and dagger thing and although it is a bit slow in places I managed to keep going and I guessed the big revelation way before the end - not cos I am so smart but when you have seen one thriller you have sort of seen them all. Some issues - he is married to the Angelina Jolie character but he is not interested in her? Okay it is a shotgun wedding but that just didn't work for me at all. Also Matt Damon just always seems cast out of type in anything I see him in. Maybe that is just me.

synsei
10-02-2013, 01:32
Thanks Tim. IIRC Frodo is not even mentioned in the book but I understand that there is a lot of back story detail in order to pad the thing out to 3 films. Not that it is a problem for me. As regards LOTR I thought the first episode was excellent but the changes to the story in 2 and 3 were a little odd, and the ending to 3 drags on and on and yet misses the final confrontation with Saruman in the Shire which is (almost) the whole point of the story. I couldn't do a nine hour marathon in the cinema - not unless I could smoke and drink anyway :)

I think Frodo is mentioned Martin but in passing, he certainly doesn't enter the book as a main character anyway. IIRC he pops up briefly near the end of the book when Bilbo appears at Bag End during the auctioning off of his stuff by the Sackville Bagginses.

Macca
10-02-2013, 10:12
I think Frodo is mentioned Martin but in passing, he certainly doesn't enter the book as a main character anyway. IIRC he pops up briefly near the end of the book when Bilbo appears at Bag End during the auctioning off of his stuff by the Sackville Bagginses.

I must re-read it - got one of those fancy hardback copies of it somewhere :scratch:

synsei
10-02-2013, 13:24
Me too, it has been a while... :)

Barry
10-02-2013, 21:43
I re-read it last year. It's a nice enough children's story, but not one that requires up to 9 hours worth of film to relay it.

Don't expect the film to exactly follow the book. The film of The Lord of the Rings didn't.

synsei
10-02-2013, 21:56
I have mixed feelings about the changes made to the LOTR films. I was very glad the whole Tom Bombadil section was missing as it grates with me big time when reading the books. I do think Jackson could have incorporated the Barrow wight vignette before the Midgewater Marshes and Weathertop scenes, it would have fitted in well there.

The change that annoyed me the most was the complete rewrite of the Faramir/Ithilien storyline, all the more upsetting because of the sensitive way in which Jackson handled the rest of the book. It is such a hatchet job and it still gets my ears steaming :steam:

Macca
10-02-2013, 22:11
My recollection is that it starts as a childrens book but by the end has become a complex military and political conundrum that Bilbo has to solve. I agree the changes to the story in LOTR were unnecessary and devalued the whole effort. Very dissapointing. Nothing wrong with the odd omission here and there to keep the running time within acceptability, but crucial changes? No. Jackson is not a better writer than Tolkein.

Barry
10-02-2013, 22:47
I think it is a children's book from beginning to end. Tolkein never intended it to be an adult story; that is what the LOTR is. If anything, The Hobbit was intended to be an introduction to the LOTR for older readers.

I thought Jackson made a pretty good fist of the film. The LOTR is a sprawling book with such an enormous back story, that it would have been almost impossible to transfer it fully to the screen. As far as the set design was concerned, well that was in virtually all cases exactly how I had imaginined the scene in my 'minds eye' when I read the books (some forty years ago).

The second book; 'The Two Towers' is quite rambling with the Fellowship having been broken: the remaining members going in different routes, and there are a lot of battles going on. Parts of 'The Return of the King' are almost mystical. Jackson was right to prune these out, though the meaning and implication of the Scouraging of the Shire is not correctly brought out, nor so the departure to the Western Lands by all the Ringbearers. Jackson was also right with the deletion to all references to Tom Bombadil and Goldberry: they come from an earlier time of Middle Earth, which is why the Ring has no effect on them. The viewing audience already had to assimilate much, so their appearence would have been too confusing.

I rewatched the extended DVDs last year - I really must get around to re-reading the book (Something I have said I ought to do since the screening of the first of Jackson's films!).

Macca
10-02-2013, 22:52
The Hobbit was written before LOTR I think - so cannot have been intended as an introduction. Agree on the set design of LOTR, it was pretty much spot on excepting some of the 'Tellytubbyland' Shire sets.

synsei
10-02-2013, 22:58
The book paints Faramir as a gentle but dutiful man who is always living in the shadow of his brother. There is much love between Boromir and Faramir and both brothers are painfully aware of the unfair treatment their father hoists onto Faramir, and yet both do there duty for the love of Gondor. The reader develops a deep respect and sympathy for Faramir as this section of the book draws on, which deepens immensely when Faramir is badly injured. In the Film the slow build of respect and sympathy is lost quit early on when Faramir does a Boromir and vows to return the ring to Minas Tirith and his father. Why when there is no need? Frodo and Sam didn't need to take part in the Battle for Osgiliath to , as Jackson put it, flesh out the action. Read the book man, the battle is as traumatic as it needs to be without Frodo, Sam and Gollum. In fact their being there detracts from these scenes IMO.

Macca
10-02-2013, 23:03
It is a long film and we could pull it apart as fans if we wanted to but on the whole it does get so much right especially the visuals which as Barry says are almost exactly as we imagine them when reading. Just a shame he lost the plot a bit towards the end - literally and figuratively ;)

synsei
10-02-2013, 23:14
Don't get me wrong Martin, the guy did a fabulous job on the whole. As Barry mentioned a couple of posts ago, it is as if Jackson had been inside my head when I read the books, everything looked exactly how I imagined it would. I have the extended DVD's and once in a while I put a day by and watch them all. Fabulous :)

Barry
10-02-2013, 23:14
The Hobbit was written before LOTR I think - so cannot have been intended as an introduction. Agree on the set design of LOTR, it was pretty much spot on excepting some of the 'Tellytubbyland' Shire sets.

Yes LOTR was written after The Hobbit, but it was intended by Tolkein that The Hobbit should serve as an introduction to LOTR. Later editions of The Hobbit, post the writing of LOTR, say as much in the preface. The Hobbit was written as a childrens book, LOTR as an adult book (or more accurately, for those readers of The Hobbit once thay had grown up).

I liked the Shire (they did have Tolkein's illustrations to work with). My only difference was Lothlorien was not quite how I had imagined it, but was a very acceptable substitute.

Sauruman's tower and the depection of the subsequent uprooting of the forest to forge weapons for Sauron was very well done, as was the creation of the uruk-hai. My only real dislike, and one which made me wince, was the depection of the Ents on the march - far to Disneyesque!

Barry
10-02-2013, 23:27
The other night, this:

The Buena Vista Social Club

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YWXFWY1WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A warm hearted and excellent music documentary about the making of Ry Cooder's, Grammy winning, 'The Buena Vista Social Club'. The latter is a 'must have' CD for all lovers of Caribbean music.

Watching this DVD you get some wonderful glimpses of Cuba before the revolution: faded, run-down Spanish colonial buildings and sadly rusting 1950's American cars - fins and all!

synsei
10-02-2013, 23:37
Actually Middle Earth and the eventual plotline for The Hobbit sprang into being as bedtime stories thought up on the spot for his son Christopher when he was little, and in fact although The Hobbit was begun before Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R did not actually complete it until after WWII and his completion of LOTR, at least that is what is written in the Appendices of my early 70's copy. There are quite a few differing accounts but this is one a tend to trust as it was written by Christopher Tolkien.

Barry
11-02-2013, 00:15
According to my copy of The Hobbit (Fourth edition, 1978), it was first published in 1937. And according to my copy of LOTR (the three volume version, second edition, fourth impression, 1969), was first published in 1954.

According to the Foreword to The LOTR, it was started shortly after the completion of The Hobbit in 1937. It seemes it took some 12 years in gestation with some passages written in 1944 being sent out to Christopher Tolkein, then in South Africa with the RAF.

I can well believe the whole idea of Middle Earth, Hobbits, Orcs and all started as bedtime stories told by Tolkein to his son.

I was too dogmatic when I stated that in my copy of the Hobbit it says it is an introduction to LOTR. I was wrong - what it does say, as a footnote on the last page, is: "If you are interested in Hobbits you will learn a lot more about them in The Lord of the Rings".

The Prologue to The Lord of the Rings makes some reference to 'The Hobbit' (or more correctly, Bilbo's book entitled 'There and Back Again') in mentioning the Shire, Hobbits and of Bilbo's finding of the One Ring, just before he met Gollum.

MartinT
11-02-2013, 07:20
Flight

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0e/Flight_film_poster.jpg/220px-Flight_film_poster.jpg

Well-acted document of the downfall of an airline pilot from heroic rescue of a doomed airliner to the discovery and attempted cover-up of his alcoholism. This is possibly the performance of a lifetime for Denzel Washington. Getting the fine detail of a drunk - the highs and lows, the unpredictability - just right takes some doing and he is utterly believable in the role.

I wonder if anyone else appreciated the rather fine female form in the opening scene? ;) Not to mention the stunning redhead he meets later in the story.

I thought the film was in danger of a severe slip in morality, appearing to condone the taking of cocaine as a pick-me-up, but the strong storyline and powerful ending take an altogether different 'line'. A good film, better than I expected it to be.

MikeMusic
21-02-2013, 08:30
Thanks to my mate Derek in Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

He sounds pretty good. Watching what he does is amazing

MartinT
24-02-2013, 13:37
Battleship

I don't have the time to describe this utter dreck in sufficient detail, merely warning you that if you watch it you will want that time back to do something else, such as stand in the wardrobe.

I would like to know just how long it would take to get the USS Missouri working again, but I think you would be safe in estimating months or years, not just a few hours.

If you do decide to watch this steaming pile of excrement, don't say I didn't warn you.

Macca
24-02-2013, 13:40
Battleship

I don't have the time to describe this utter dreck in sufficient detail, merely warning you that if you watch it you will want that time back to do something else, such as stand in the wardrobe.

I would like to know just how long it would take to get the USS Missouri working again, but I think you would be safe in estimating months or years, not just a few hours.

If you do decide to watch this steaming pile of excrement, don't say I didn't warn you.

I decided to give it a miss just from reading the blurb on the box. If its own promotional material makes it sound shite how bad has the actual film got to be? Surprised you even gave it a go, Martin.

MartinT
24-02-2013, 13:42
I don't know why myself, Martin!

Canetoad
24-02-2013, 14:05
Optimism! :lol:

Alex_UK
26-02-2013, 14:50
I too watched Battleship (on Sunday evening, after Martin's warning which I've only just seen! :doh:)

Pure unadulterated cack of the stinkiest order.

synsei
26-02-2013, 15:13
Optimism! :lol:

Or perhaps masochism... :lol:

Alex_UK
02-03-2013, 23:18
Caught up tonight with two superb films I'd recorded - Atonement and then Limitless.

Both completely different but absorbing and brilliant in their own way. Limitless reminded me in style of Fight Club somehow - not looked into it further so if there is a connection between them I'm not aware, but wouldn't be surprised.

MartinT
03-03-2013, 01:02
Ah yes, both excellent. Limitless, as you say Alex, has a style all of its own but the slightly out of body experience of much of it is related to Fight Club, I agree.

Macca
03-03-2013, 19:40
James Bond in Skyfall

Really enjoyed this I was quite surprised as the other two Craig efforts were passable at best. Its a fact of course that the last truly great Bond film was The Spy Who Loved Me, although The World is Not Enough was above aversge for later period Bond. I like the way Sam Mendes directed this - in some parts it is almost if it was Kubrick directing - he is not afraid to linger on a shot, which I like as I hate all this super fast cutting you get these days - I can't follow what is going on in those films. Anyways, it's a good 'un - I'm aactually looking forward to the next one and I haven't said that in a while.

Addendum - a word of advice if you are a henchman whose job it is to cover Bond whilst the evil villain explains his plan for world domination. Yes Bond is, for no good reason, still alive and yes, he is inexplicitly unfettered by ropes or handcuffs but he is unarmed and you are not. So do not and I repeat DO NOT pointlessley move so close to him that he can, in a fraction of a second, spin around, grab your weapon, shoot you with it and then shoot your five buddies with it and turn the entrire situation around. Just stay about ten feet back from him at all times - it's really not hard.

MartinT
03-03-2013, 20:04
Arbitrage

http://cdn.avsforum.com/2/27/350x700px-LL-2720c2a7_arbitrage.jpeg

Richard Gere plays a high powered businessman with very questionable ethics in the way that only he can. Things go extremely out of control very quickly for him and he desperately tries to cover tracks and complete a difficult deal over the course of a few days. Brit Marling (Another Earth) is excellent as the daughter caught unawares in illegal activities and Susan Sarandon plays the cool and knowing wife in a great supporting role.

Far more compelling than I had expected it to be and very enjoyable, if thought provoking, look at what money can help you get away with.

Spectral Morn
06-03-2013, 10:11
Just sat down to watch Battle For Warsaw and it is unwatch-able with serious image problem when any person moves on screen (its the disc not the TV) its like 3d gone wrong - so save your money and don't buy this joke of a DVD.

Regards Neil

chris@panteg
09-03-2013, 18:08
Lincoln , must admit to an obsessive interest in the US civil war , I enjoyed the movie , many have found it boring but for me it was absorbing viewing , and an absolutely magnificent performance by day lewis ! Memorable and fully deserving the Oscar .

MartinT
10-03-2013, 22:54
Cloud Atlas

http://a1045.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Music/v4/35/16/ab/3516abde-fcf0-8161-8055-0651ba6cd1cd/Cloud_Atlas_Cover_1500px_RGB_72dpi.200x200-75.jpg

Simply . . . stunning.

Spectral Morn
11-03-2013, 22:29
Argo :)

If you haven't seen this film you should, its fabulous.

I came across John Chambers on a program Holywood Treasures an auction show specialising in film memorabilia and John Chambers make up kits and his protype CIA make up kit was in the auction the masks from Outer Limits, Planet of the Apes didn't sell for as much as expected but the make up kits went for huge money.

Anyway JC is a hero and he and the CIA agent who got the 6 out of Iran deserved their medals, wonderful film easily the best movie I have seen in years. It deserved its awards.

Macca
12-03-2013, 10:46
The Happening

Starring Mark E Mark Whalburg - one of those films that starts really promisingly but ends up petering out with no satisfactory conclusion. Ironically not enough really happens. Cloverfield did a similar idea but with a lot more panache.

MartinT
12-03-2013, 12:23
Seen both and agree with you, Martin.

MikeMusic
13-03-2013, 08:13
Great film

One of the best I've seen for a while

Can I have some of those pills please ?

MartinT
13-03-2013, 08:31
Yes, that was an excellent film, Mike.

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2013, 08:45
Can I have some of those pills please ?

No, you're not having mine.......I haven't got any, anyway......what pills?

......so Mr Gates, you want some advice on investments, then?

MikeMusic
13-03-2013, 08:49
The Happening

Starring Mark E Mark Whalburg - one of those films that starts really promisingly but ends up petering out with no satisfactory conclusion. Ironically not enough really happens. Cloverfield did a similar idea but with a lot more panache.
Mark Wahlberg is a warning to me that the film is likely to be pants
Thought M. Night Shyamalan did good things so this would be a suck it and see

Macca
13-03-2013, 08:51
Thought M. Night Shyamalan did good things so this would be a suck it and see

What else has he done?

MikeMusic
13-03-2013, 08:51
No, you're not having mine.......I haven't got any, anyway......what pills?

......so Mr Gates, you want some advice on investments, then?

Right somewhere in Lancashire then eh
I reckon I can find you

MikeMusic
13-03-2013, 09:02
What else has he done?

1992 Praying with Anger - don't know it
1998 Wide Awake - don't know it
1999 The Sixth Sense Very good film
Stuart Little Ok if you like that sort of thing
2000 Unbreakable Great film
2002 Signs Yes - don't know it
2004 The Village - don't know it
2006 Lady in the Water
2008 The Happening
2010 The Last Airbender - cobblers
Devil - don't know it
2013 After Earth - don't know it

Macca
13-03-2013, 13:11
1992 Praying with Anger - don't know it
1998 Wide Awake - don't know it
1999 The Sixth Sense Very good film
Stuart Little Ok if you like that sort of thing
2000 Unbreakable Great film
2002 Signs Yes - don't know it
2004 The Village - don't know it
2006 Lady in the Water
2008 The Happening
2010 The Last Airbender - cobblers
Devil - don't know it
2013 After Earth - don't know it

Ah same bloke who did The Sixth Sense - gotcha now. Friend of mine went to see The Last Airbender but she said they had to leave before the end as not only was it cobblers but apparantly the characters have lines such as 'I am the greatest bender in the world!' and her constant sniggering was upsetting nearby audience members who were taking it more seriously.

MikeMusic
13-03-2013, 13:53
Ah same bloke who did The Sixth Sense - gotcha now. Friend of mine went to see The Last Airbender but she said they had to leave before the end as not only was it cobblers but apparantly the characters have lines such as 'I am the greatest bender in the world!' and her constant sniggering was upsetting nearby audience members who were taking it more seriously.
It was so poor I could barely raise a smile at all the benders

Spectral Morn
13-03-2013, 17:40
Signs is a wonderfully deep film - forget the aliens this movie is really about theological subjects such as grace, providence and faith a very Christian film with real insight and coming from someone who isn't of that faith.

I liked the Happening as it did leave things unexplained and do you know what? Life is often like that with no nicely wrapped up answers and explanations.

Having seen a trailer for After Earth I am looking forward to seeing it - sci fi about a crashed spaceship's survivors fighting to live on a desperately hostile planet - Earth. Its set in the distant future after humanity is forced to abandon Earth.

Regards Neil

MartinT
17-03-2013, 21:40

http://cdn02.cdn.pinkisthenewblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/360-movie-poster-1-400x470.jpg

It's strange that, after having just seen Cloud Atlas, my next watch was another take on the multiple connected storylines scenario. Smaller in scope but almost as effective, this was a very enjoyable film that gets your attention and doesn't let go. I found myself nodding as I spotted the connections and it all hung together rather well, while not attempting to explain each vignette thoroughly. Well played by a good cast, and Rachel Weisz managed as usual to look utterly gorgeous.

Alex_UK
17-03-2013, 21:50
I love a good survival horror movie with vampires or zombies - just watched Stake Land - was great and really enjoyed it, but shocked by how old Kelly McGillis looks these days! :eek: She was so hot in Top Gun and still only in her fifties now but looks 10 years older!

synsei
17-03-2013, 23:04
Signs is a wonderfully deep film - forget the aliens this movie is really about theological subjects such as grace, providence and faith a very Christian film with real insight and coming from someone who isn't of that faith.

Regards Neil

Agreed Neil, Signs is a much misunderstood movie in my opinion but then so are many of Nights other films. I went to see Signs with a couple of friends who were expecting a Sci-Fi blockbuster. I tried to warn them that Nights films were rather more cerebral than that but they didn't listen and consequently left the cinema disappointed. For me Signs is one of his best films. Sixth Sense made me cry the first time I saw it and I regret that it will never affect me in the same way again. A truly wonderful piece of work.

Spectral Morn
17-03-2013, 23:21
I love a good survival horror movie with vampires or zombies - just watched Stake Land - was great and really enjoyed it, but shocked by how old Kelly McGillis looks these days! :eek: She was so hot in Top Gun and still only in her fifties now but looks 10 years older!

Good film I enjoyed it when I watched it awhile back.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
17-03-2013, 23:23
Agreed Neil, Signs is a much misunderstood movie in my opinion but then so are many of Nights other films. I went to see Signs with a couple of friends who were expecting a Sci-Fi blockbuster. I tried to warn them that Nights films were rather more cerebral than that but they didn't listen and consequently left the cinema disappointed. For me Signs is one of his best films. Sixth Sense made me cry the first time I saw it and I regret that it will never affect me in the same way again. A truly wonderful piece of work.

Agreed Dave.

I never grow tired watching it and its like an onion there are layers upon layers in this film.

To date yes his best and in my top ten movies.

Devil is another one of Night's films and it is very good too but lacks much of the depth of Signs which is a shame, but the last bit of Devil does make you go wow and do a lot of thinking.

Regards Neil

MCRU
18-03-2013, 18:26
Just seen the "Croods" in 3d. 7/10 3d not very effective.

MartinT
18-03-2013, 21:01
3d not very effective.

Is it ever? In my view, 3D is a euphemism for crap film most of the time.

synsei
19-03-2013, 03:55
The Challenger (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zstkn/The_Challenger/)

For me this film underlines why mankind has such a very long way to go before it can claim to be civilised. Despite the eventual outcome of these events, seven people died because Morton Thiokol and NASA needed to alleviate their crumbling reputations. A tragic example of how poor judgement and seemingly insignificant lies can have such grievous consequences, plus the lengths to which the establishment will go to in their attempts to cover it up. Heartbreaking... :(

MartinT
19-03-2013, 06:41
Challenger was a great watch. Richard Feynman has always been my hero (I have all his biographies) and I thought that William Hurt captured him pretty well, especially his manner of speaking and the small reference to his bongo playing.

Here he is in his famous reference to why scientists appreciate a flower differently from an artist:

zSZNsIFID28

For all of NASA's faults, we need them. Where else is the continuation of our sense of adventure and exploration? Certainly not in this country, with our cancellation of the Black Arrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow) programme and our scant interest in the ESA. Hell, we even tried to shut down Jodrell Bank not so long ago. You can't trust politicians to have any vision other than creating their own legacy.

Spectral Morn
20-03-2013, 23:04
Watched Troll Hunter today and great fun it was too.

This movie purports to be a true story as some college students making a documentary about bear killing get caught up with a gentleman who works for the TSS a Norwegian Troll management Government body.

Its filmed and presented as a being real film footage (aka Cloverfield) but it is well made with pretty good Trolls rendered via CGI. At times its quite funny but in a dark way.

Great fun 7.5 out of 10 imho

Regards Neil

Macca
23-03-2013, 13:57
Abigail's Party
Noticed this was on late earlier in the week so taped it. I've seen this a couple of times before but not in the last twenty years. It's still genius. Lawrence on the 'phone asking for the keys to '16 Clitingham Avenue' was a gag that has escaped me previously, as was the undercurrent of wife-swapping, although I'm baffled as to how I never spotted that before. And that orange leather furniture is super cool - I want it!

Barry
23-03-2013, 17:18
Abigail's Party
Noticed this was on late earlier in the week so taped it. I've seen this a couple of times before but not in the last twenty years. It's still genius. Lawrence on the 'phone asking for the keys to '16 Clitingham Avenue' was a gag that has escaped me previously, as was the undercurrent of wife-swapping, although I'm baffled as to how I never spotted that before. And that orange leather furniture is super cool - I want it!

What about the awful patterned wallpaper ?!!

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 17:27
Nowt wrang with that Wallpaper & sofa :)

What about Janine Duvitski (Angela) cool Nana Mouskouri look :eyebrows:

Barry
23-03-2013, 20:08
Nowt wrang with that Wallpaper & sofa :)

What about Janine Duvitski (Angela) cool Nana Mouskouri look :eyebrows:

Haha - it's the glasses that do it.

Barry
23-03-2013, 20:13
Just watched the film version of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Not a bad attempt at a visual interpretation of Douglas Adam's radio play.

Roy S
23-03-2013, 20:14
Just watched the film version of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Not a bad attempt at a visual interpretation of Douglas Adam's radio play.

Preferred the TV version of Marvin

synsei
23-03-2013, 20:25

The books are probably my favourite portal into Douglas Adams humorous and wacky universe but I did enjoy the film a lot. Casting Mos Def as Ford was both inspired and brilliant, he pulled it off really well. In fact the entire cast were excellent, especially Sam Rockwell as Zaphod, his performance had me giggling with regularity. Zoe Deschanel was okay as Trillan but to be honest she is so gorgeous she can do no wrong in my eyes... :D

Barry
23-03-2013, 21:07
IMHO the BBC radio plays were the best - for the simple reason a lot was left up to your imagination. The BBC television production was a bit of a "curate's egg" - some parts were done well (the 'Guide' for example, done as graphics) , whereas Zaphod Beeblebrox's papier-maché second head was laughable.

Think overall I just prefered the version of Marvin used in the film. (Though if you look carefully, the BBC's version of Marvin can be seen in the queue to be seen by the Vogon civil servant.)

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 21:37
And that orange leather furniture is super cool - I want it!

& the painting sat on the sofa at the end which is called ''Wings of Love'' by Stephen Pearson ;)

MikeMusic
25-03-2013, 08:54
No punches pulled here

The dark side of politics

Seen the 1st episode and impressed

Roy S
26-03-2013, 22:16
'Wheeler Dealers' on Discovery +1, they're doing a TVR Cerbera

UV101
27-03-2013, 21:40
I'm sure Alex will approve even if others don't!!!!

sky arts hd - Duran Duran - Rio: classic albums.......if you're in your 40's you can't not like it!!!!!!!! :D

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 22:11
Must confess to a bit of Duran Duran in my collection - some surprisingly good songs, actually.:)

Roy S
27-03-2013, 22:13
Taken 2, rerun of Taken 1 really :rolleyes:

MartinT
27-03-2013, 22:30
Taken 2, rerun of Taken 1 really :rolleyes:

Yes it was, not a bad film and some great action sequences but the same old plot, really.

MartinT
30-03-2013, 01:07
Looper

http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=298,298&layer=1&src=3779979%20Looper%20-%20Blu-Ray&size=298,298&resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_GM

A film that starts off as a seemingly reasonable science fiction B-movie slowly transforms into something much more interesting and thought provoking. I can't really say anything about the story without giving too much away, but suffice to say that you will get drawn in and the finale is well worth the wait. Very thought provoking.

There's always the bonus of the gorgeous Emily Blunt to look forward to, too!

Spectral Morn
30-03-2013, 08:23
Looper

http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=298,298&layer=1&src=3779979%20Looper%20-%20Blu-Ray&size=298,298&resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_GM

A film that starts off as a seemingly reasonable science fiction B-movie slowly transforms into something much more interesting and thought provoking. I can't really say anything about the story without giving too much away, but suffice to say that you will get drawn in and the finale is well worth the wait. Very thought provoking.

There's always the bonus of the gorgeous Emily Blunt to look forward to, too!

I will check it out - the numerous bad reviews put me off doing so.

Regards Neil

MartinT
30-03-2013, 11:32
Never believe what other people say about films! Oh, err, wait a minute... :lol:

synsei
30-03-2013, 17:02
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/Dark_City_poster.jpg/220px-Dark_City_poster.jpg

In my opinion this is one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made and I never tire of watching it, it is truly dark and full of menace. Watch out for some top notch acting from the all star cast with an added bonus, Jennifer Connelly looks utterly scrumptious in it ;)

MartinT
30-03-2013, 18:28
Jennifer Connelly looks utterly scrumptious in it ;)

As scrummy as she is in Blood Diamond?

Rare Bird
31-03-2013, 17:34
'The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery' (1966)

Roy S
31-03-2013, 20:01
'Monsters' Not bad but probably made a mistake watching it with my 87 year old Mum who's more used to the 'Beast from 20000 Fathoms' style of monster flick

MartinT
31-03-2013, 21:25
Monsters is wonderful.