PDA

View Full Version : Mike New platter

freem
04-01-2011, 19:20
I recieved my platter today but I'm having a little trouble fitting it and hope someone can help.
The underside is catching on the large black thingy on the small power pcb. I didn't want to remove this board in case I lost some functions.
I have taken out the internal power supply when I fitted the external one.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 19:24
It it a large round black thingy on one corner of one of the PCBs? If so it's probably the reservoir capacitor for the original PSU that fed the Technics regulator. If so i somehow don't think it's used as you are using an external PSU by the sounds of it ;)

What's it say on the black thingy? :eyebrows:

E2A:- A picture would be a serious amount of help here ;)

Ammonite Audio
04-01-2011, 19:36
Sounds like the original mains voltage switch block to me.

freem
04-01-2011, 20:20
It it a large round black thingy on one corner of one of the PCBs? If so it's probably the reservoir capacitor for the original PSU that fed the Technics regulator. If so i somehow don't think it's used as you are using an external PSU by the sounds of it ;)

What's it say on the black thingy? :eyebrows:

E2A:- A picture would be a serious amount of help here ;)

No writing on it but it has a slot on top in the shape of an arrow.

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 20:28
Ok, take a look at this post (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=173058&postcount=1) & tell me if it's the black switch with an arrow on it top left hand side of the picture, Hugo looks to be correct if so :)

As long as you are using an external PSU you don't need it ;)

freem
04-01-2011, 20:31
Ok, take a look at this post (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=173058&postcount=1) & tell me if it's the black switch with an arrow on it top left hand side of the picture, Hugo looks to be correct if so :)

As long as you are using an external PSU you don't need it ;)

Thats the one thanks. Any idea what functions I will lose if I disconnect the whole of the small board.

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 20:39
No, though at an estimated guess i'd say a total of zero. As far as i know all functions, lights (LEDs) drive & everything else are taken from the main PCB...

If you go back to the same thread via the link you'll see that the whole standard PSU PCB is removed ;)

As i'm not an expert on the 1210 though i'd wait for further advice, but in reality i should be correct :scratch:

MartinT
04-01-2011, 20:47
You can remove that entire PCB and you'll get the clearance you need for the platter. Even with that done, things are tight under there and I remember having to bend a component slightly to stop a slight rubbing sound.

Wakefield Turntables
04-01-2011, 20:55
I had the same problem with my platter. Get rid of the PCB, you may need to trim some of the other components but see how you get on with removing the pcb. Also, be careful where your external powersupply power is kept under the platter as this can catch as well. It'll all be worth it when it's installed. :)

freem
05-01-2011, 15:32
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have now removed the pcb and can confirm that none of the normal deck functions have been disrupted.