PDA

View Full Version : Non red book CD's ripping my knitting

pwood
04-01-2011, 15:35
Well Im nearly passing the 200 CD mark and one thing is pissing me off. Using DBpoweramp I find long CD's causing problems. Feeder's Greatest Hits is one example with the current one being Prince and the new power generation which is also 18 tracks. DBPA is currently taking ages to rip the last track. I have noted this issue before when copying a CD for the car using WMP if the disc is too long. Am I right in assuming its because the disc is not to RED Book standard and is too long:steam:?

How do you guys get along with CD's like that?

Stratmangler
04-01-2011, 15:41
The last track is on the outside of the reflective layer, and more likely to have marks from fingerprints or suchlike.
The speed of the rip is likely to be due to read errors because of fingerprints/debris.

pwood
04-01-2011, 15:51
Its showing RE-RIP 500 going downward currently 360. Does that mean errors on the track.

WAD62
04-01-2011, 15:52
Well Im nearly passing the 200 CD mark and one thing is pissing me off. Using DBpoweramp I find long CD's causing problems. Feeder's Greatest Hits is one example with the current one being Prince and the new power generation which is also 18 tracks. DBPA is currently taking ages to rip the last track. I have noted this issue before when copying a CD for the car using WMP if the disc is too long. Am I right in assuming its because the disc is not to RED Book standard and is too long:steam:?

How do you guys get along with CD's like that?

What sort of drive are you using?

That has a big effect on quality and speed...

WAD62
04-01-2011, 15:53
Its showing RE-RIP 500 going downward currently 360. Does that mean errors on the track.

Errors!!!!

Drive or Disk issues...

You'll be there for weeks if you're flushing the buffers properly

Stratmangler
04-01-2011, 15:56
Yep !
Stop the rip, clean the disc and try to rerip the track again.

WAD62
04-01-2011, 16:09
...and don't use a laptop drive, get a decent one ;)

pwood
04-01-2011, 16:38
Gave up and deleted the last track as its not one I care to listen to anyway. Will try cleaning it and rip that track again. My HP Laptop has a Pioneer drive which is a quality make and on average a secure rip on a decent disc takes 6mins which I thought was pretty good. My other

Another Disc drive is not an option I already managed to get the NAS into the house without a domestic before buying Sonos.

WAD62
04-01-2011, 16:45
Gave up and deleted the last track as its not one I care to listen to anyway. Will try cleaning it and rip that track again. My HP Laptop has a Pioneer drive which is a quality make and on average a secure rip on a decent disc takes 6mins which I thought was pretty good. My other

Another Disc drive is not an option I already managed to get the NAS into the house without a domestic before buying Sonos.

Well it will take a lot longer, you will have more errors/re-rips, and you will have to spend extra on cleaning fluid...:(

I had 2.5K to do, and after fannying around with a laptop drive I plumped for this relatively cheap external USB...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Extenal-x22-DVD-RW-Lightscribe/dp/B001CZOPHG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1294159260&sr=8-3

EDIT; It's cheaper elsewhere.

When configured correctly it even outperforms the pioneer in my desktop, particularly for accuracy, and it will do a full CRC validated accurate rip in under 3 mins :)

pwood
04-01-2011, 19:37
Thanks for the Link Will. 3mins:interesting:

Canetoad
04-01-2011, 19:54
In my opinion laptop drives are rubbish!

WAD62
04-01-2011, 20:11
In my opinion laptop drives are rubbish!

Indeed, I'd probably still be ripping them now if I hadn't gone for a proper drive (it took 3 months as it was), and I'm sure there are better options than the Samsung, but it worked very well for me.

C2 checking capabilities is a big advantage as it doesn't need to read the track twice for non 'Acurate Rip' CDs, I think it does some kind of read ahead checking as it goes, so doesn't need to re-rip for comparison purposes.

N.B. If you use dBpoweramp with a USB drive, make sure it's configured correctly, and that the 'buffer' is flushed for 're-rips'/errors, otherwise it won't go back to the disk to re-read the frame.
:cool:

pwood
05-01-2011, 12:15
Well the Prince CD ripped after a clean. Little time to faf so used Mr Muscle Glass Cleaner which I'm sure is not a good idea but it worked.